Lost Rangefinder today, thinking about going back to GPS..

So I lost my GPS at the golf course this weekend, unfortunately no one turned it in.. I've been thinking about going back to a GPS unit.. Perhaps the latest Skycaddie model.

Perhaps my logic is not sound but here is what I am thinking..

* With GPS I can get front, middle, back distances, I can only get distance to pin with laser.

* I can get distances to hazards, distance to water, over water, bunkers, with GPS.

* I can move the marker with GPS to determine where I might want to land my shot and or place it where the pin actually appears to be.

* Looks like most of these units are accurate to 2 yards, being a 10 handicap I think front, middle, back, hazards etc is more valuable data than 6 feet of accuracy.

* Overall it seems like only having distance to PIN you're really missing out on needed data in regards to course management.

Thoughts?

WITB:
[indent=1][color=#000000]Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9 - HZRDUS T110[/color][/indent]
[indent=1][color=#000000]3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Fubuki J 70[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]° [/font]- Aldila Green X
Hybrid: Callaway Rogue[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]° - [/font]
Irons: Titliest AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour C-Taper S
Wedges: Titliest SM6 50 Degree F Grind, Titliest SM6 54 Degree F Grind, Callaway 60 Degree PM Grind[/color][/indent]
[indent=1][color=#000000]Putter(s): Odyssey Exo Seven S 33 Inch
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft[/color][/indent]

Most courses designate whether pins are front, middle, or back by color or pin sheets. GPS is accurate to 5 yards at best. You are also relying on the course doing a good job of surveying pin positions which may or may not be true. For me a laser rangefinder giving me meter class precision and that far out weighs the convenience of GPS.

• Like 1

I have both. I'll only turn the gps on at an unfamiliar track to indicate hazards. My laser gets used at least 18 times a round at every course.

If you're going with gps, I think there are better options than a pay for data Skycaddie.

90% of the courses I've encountered do not offer pin sheets.

Good luck.

• Like 1

X________________________________ Sign Here

I personally prefer the laser for ~~hazards~~ sorry "penalty areas", dog leg distances, layups - largely because I have a hard time matching lines on a GPS screen to actual sight lines. It also means I only need a pretty inexpensive watch style GPS for front/center/back yardages so don't have a problem affording and using both as the situation dictates.

• Like 1

Just get the Bushnell that has both. No slope but I moved to this model after 10 years of laser with slope and have never looked back. Only down side is GPS only last about 24 holes but if you can remember to charge their great. Also think it’s on sale so you basically have to buy it!

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/bushnell-hybrid-rangefinder/1098235.html?cgid=golf-gear-technology-rangefinders#sz=24&start=1

> @Greggap said:

> So I lost my GPS at the golf course this weekend, unfortunately no one turned it in.. I've been thinking about going back to a GPS unit.. Perhaps the latest Skycaddie model.

> Perhaps my logic is not sound but here is what I am thinking..

> * With GPS I can get front, middle, back distances, I can only get distance to pin with laser.

> * I can get distances to hazards, distance to water, over water, bunkers, with GPS.

> * I can move the marker with GPS to determine where I might want to land my shot and or place it where the pin actually appears to be.

> * Looks like most of these units are accurate to 2 yards, being a 10 handicap I think front, middle, back, hazards etc is more valuable data than 6 feet of accuracy.

> * Overall it seems like only having distance to PIN you're really missing out on needed data in regards to course management.

>

> Thoughts?

>

First sentence is confused.

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> Most courses designate whether pins are front, middle, or back by color or pin sheets. GPS is accurate to 5 yards at best. You are also relying on the course doing a good job of surveying pin positions which may or may not be true. For me a laser rangefinder giving me meter class precision and that far out weighs the convenience of GPS.

I also have found using GPS puts you at the mercy of the person who mapped the course. My so called "home course" was mapped quite well, based on many rounds with friends who use GPS. Unfortunately, I've played many rounds at courses where it was not so; GPS readings conflicting with laser results by significant margins. It's not much fun watching your ball come up short or long in the water/fescue/etc because the GPS was off by 20 yards. LOL

I've also yet to see the GPS that can give me a distance to a specific tree that might be at the corner of a dogleg. Or to the group in front of me on a par 5...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > Most courses designate whether pins are front, middle, or back by color or pin sheets. GPS is accurate to 5 yards at best. You are also relying on the course doing a good job of surveying pin positions which may or may not be true. For me a laser rangefinder giving me meter class precision and that far out weighs the convenience of GPS.

>

>

> I also have found using GPS puts you at the mercy of the person who mapped the course. My so called "home course" was mapped quite well, based on many rounds with friends who use GPS. Unfortunately, I've played many rounds at courses where it was not so; GPS readings conflicting with laser results by significant margins. It's not much fun watching your ball come up short or long in the water/fescue/etc because the GPS was off by 20 yards. LOL

>

> I've also yet to see the GPS that can give me a distance to a specific tree that might be at the corner of a dogleg. Or to the group in front of me on a par 5...

>

>

Yep. Once you are dependent on your average human, quality of information can vary substantially. Seems like a risk not worth taking. The cost and loss of convenience to mitigate the risk are small compared to realizing the risk and ruining a good round, or losing 5 bucks to your buds, or maybe losing a state tournament.

• Like 1

I used an expensive top-tier Garmin GPS for years. I even replaced it when mine went missing.

Last year I upgraded to an affordably-priced rangefinder and I'm never going back.

As soon as I experienced the confidence that comes with having something in my hand that provides the _actual distance_ rather than something that _should be approximately correct_, I realized why all my low-handicap friends used rangefinders.

GPS is better than nothing but if you're serious, you get a rangefinder.

• Like 1

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I have both a Garmin watch (vivoactive 3) and laser. The laser gets used a couple of times per round whereas the GPS is used every hole. Just can't beat the convenience and speed of a watch. Unless you have poorly mapped courses, which is very rare in the US, GPS is accurate to <5 yards and typically I've found 0-3 yards from markers.

> @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> I have both a Garmin watch (vivoactive 3) and laser. The laser gets used a couple of times per round whereas the GPS is used every hole. Just can't beat the convenience and speed of a watch. Unless you have poorly mapped courses, which is very rare in the US, GPS is accurate to <5 yards and typically I've found 0-3 yards from markers.

That's kinda my point, very few people are hitting it within those tolerances, so the GPS and more data points negates the accuracy issue. I'd rather have more data..

• Like 1

WITB:
[indent=1][color=#000000]Driver: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9 - HZRDUS T110[/color][/indent]
[indent=1][color=#000000]3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero Fubuki J 70[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]° [/font]- Aldila Green X
Hybrid: Callaway Rogue[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]° - [/font]
Irons: Titliest AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour C-Taper S
Wedges: Titliest SM6 50 Degree F Grind, Titliest SM6 54 Degree F Grind, Callaway 60 Degree PM Grind[/color][/indent]
[indent=1][color=#000000]Putter(s): Odyssey Exo Seven S 33 Inch
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft[/color][/indent]

> @Greggap said:

>

> That's kinda my point, very few people are hitting it within those tolerances, so the GPS and more data points negates the accuracy issue. I'd rather have more data..

Why do you value more data to that extent?

I consider my $125 LR5 rangefinder to be a big upgrade over my Garmin G5, despite it's multitude of features. I used a G5 for about a decade and after a year with the LR5, I'd never go back to GPS.

One perfectly-accurate data point is really all you need if you are given pin location by flag color, scorecard, etc.

Granted a watch is convenient for measuring distances from point A to point B but errors compound in golf. If I hit my wedge 4 yards short and 3 yards right I expect a 15-ft putt. With my rangefinder, I get just that.

But if I get up there and sometimes it's a 5-ft putt and sometimes it's 30-ft...who the hell knows what kind of wedge game I have!?

That feedback is really important to developing your scoring. Those little errors you get with a GPS ain't just little errors! You will never develop any sense of wedge control using a GPS.

The benefit of GPS to me lies in the ability to measure distances between points. And no, I can't say I miss that. If I needed to turn around and shoot the tee box from the fairway here or there I could do that.

• Like 1

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I’m lazy and like to use my Garmin GPS band. If I’m playing in a big game or a challenging course that I’m not completely familiar with it’s definitely my laser. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

One of the most useful function of a golf GPS device is the measuring function.

I honestly quit being obsessed about how far I hit and in fact already got passed the shock long ago when I had my Garmin S1 (figured out my ‘280 yds drives’ were actually 230 yds GPS measured) Don’t hate the GPS device for busting your bubble LOL!

This function remained very useful when dealing with a blind shot or any stray shots because I know the ballpark area I should be looking.

The closer I am to the flag the better it is served by the laser, especially within 75 yards.

All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade

> @Greggap said:

> > @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> > I have both a Garmin watch (vivoactive 3) and laser. The laser gets used a couple of times per round whereas the GPS is used every hole. Just can't beat the convenience and speed of a watch. Unless you have poorly mapped courses, which is very rare in the US, GPS is accurate to <5 yards and typically I've found 0-3 yards from markers.

>

> That's kinda my point, very few people are hitting it within those tolerances, so the GPS and more data points negates the accuracy issue. I'd rather have more data..

Agree. As I said my experience has show my Vivoactive 3 (and other golf specific GPS) to be typically 0-3 with an occasional 5Y delta, but 5 is infrequent and still acceptable to a 15 cap. GPS is awesome for blind shots and hazard distances but typically all I care about is FCB and as long as the flag has some type of indicator as to it's green position, then it's perfect. I sometimes challenge my GPS estimate to the pin by shooting the pin with the laser and I'm typically 3 Y or less delta. Now the caveat, when playing less familiar courses the laser comes out more often to shoot landing areas, distances to trees on corners etc. Also once I was playing an unfamiliar course that had enormous irregularly shaped greens and the laser was really helpful for getting a better idea for pin distance because depending on pin placement it could be a 3 or 4 club difference. Still the GPS is faster and for me is used >10:1 over my laser.

I’m with @Hateto3Putt on this. On new courses I take my GPS because there’s nothing worse than hitting your best drive of the day only to find it rolled through the fairway.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, the course yardage book and decent rangefinder gets me around most places.

plus, having the book gives me a bit more confidence while walking the layout.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I am not good enough to need a range finder when a free app does quite well for me. I am no where the quality of player where being off a 3-5 yards for the middle of the green would impact my shot. If I'm 170+ out I am happy to put it on from there. I play the game to get out of the house and relax either alone or with friends. Used rangefinders in the past and it did not change my mind on what club I grabbed.

I say go for whatever would help you enjoy the game most. If you are consistently able to put it within a few yards, go for a range finder.

Over the years, I've had 3 different lazers, currently using Bushnell Pro7 with slope, it's been my go to gadget until I recently picked up the new Garmin Approach G80 while in SoCal for the winter. The G80's GPS accuracy is amazing it's large color screen is easy to see/read even with RX distance glasses, it has a feature that enlarges the green and allows you to move the flag to where it's actually located on the green then recalculates the distance. On my last round I believe I only used my lazer once or twice to confirm what the G80 was reading and determined it was spot on. The other bonus with the G80 it's also a launch monitor and it has other functions to help you improve your tempo, work on hitting to a consistent distance & improve your S/S. Have a look at the following thread ..... lots of good info & pics, too.

[https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1735016/garmin-approach-g80#latest](http://https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1735016/garmin-approach-g80#latest "https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1735016/garmin-approach-g80#latest")

Cheers

D.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

> @Zip-in-Z said:

> The G80's GPS accuracy is amazing it's large color screen is easy to see/read even with RX distance glasses, it has a feature that enlarges the green and allows you to move the flag to where it's actually located on the green then recalculates the distance.

Problem with that is, if I new exactly where the flag is on the green then I wouldn't need a rangefinder or GPS!

I play the same course for 95% of my rounds. I almost always (unless I'm off in the woods somewhere) know where I am relative to the center of the green. The main point of my laser is to tell me where the hole is located. My home course has fairly large greens and they are mostly divided into sections or tiers. But if there's a bunker in front or the green is above ground level you can't tell by eyeball where the hole is.

A typical situation would be having 150 to the center of the green (maybe standing near the marker in the fairway) but there's a ridge running through the middle of the green. If the flag is front then anything over that ridge is a terrible shot. If it's in the back, a shot ending up short of the ridge is no bargain. That sort of scenario is the vast majority of my laser usage.

• 3 weeks later...

I went back to GPS (Grint app) for a few reasons.

1) less of a hassle for me. I’m already using the app to keep score. Phone is faster to pull out since I keep it in my back pocket.

2) while not as accurate as a finder it’s usually close enough for me. I can ballpark slope and I’m not so good that a 2-3 yd diff will kill me.

3) mostly. I like to use the map feature to pinpoint layups or angles with the overhead view.

I have both laser and gps. The laser gets used the most as I can measure much more than pin distance. The gps is convenient but needs to be charged after each round to be ready for the next round. The laser can just stay in the bag and once a year I change the battery. The laser can provide lots of data such as: How far to carry (or lay up to) a fairway bunker or creek. Distance to get centered in a dogleg (measure trees on inside and outside edges and split the difference). How far is the group in front (no need to let them get 300 yards out when I have an uphill into the wind shot).

> @cristphoto said:

> I have both laser and gps. The laser gets used the most as I can measure much more than pin distance. The gps is convenient but needs to be charged after each round to be ready for the next round. The laser can just stay in the bag and once a year I change the battery. The laser can provide lots of data such as: How far to carry (or lay up to) a fairway bunker or creek. Distance to get centered in a dogleg (measure trees on inside and outside edges and split the difference). How far is the group in front (no need to let them get 300 yards out when I have an uphill into the wind shot).

I like the idea for checking the distance of the group in front of me. That alone has me thinking of adding a laser to my bag

> @Egs57 said:

>

>

> > @cristphoto said:

> > I have both laser and gps. The laser gets used the most as I can measure much more than pin distance. The gps is convenient but needs to be charged after each round to be ready for the next round. The laser can just stay in the bag and once a year I change the battery. The laser can provide lots of data such as: How far to carry (or lay up to) a fairway bunker or creek. Distance to get centered in a dogleg (measure trees on inside and outside edges and split the difference). How far is the group in front (no need to let them get 300 yards out when I have an uphill into the wind shot).

>

> I like the idea for checking the distance of the group in front of me. That alone has me thinking of adding a laser to my bag

>

>

That, plus the magnification makes it easy to check out the cart girl from afar..

X________________________________ Sign Here