What handicap would surprise you a self-taught beginner could attain in 1 year

**This is all in good fun, with a warm smile on my face and feelings of good will.**

Edit: What _score_ (easier to have witnessed than a whole handicap), in one year from today (Easter week 2020), would make a couple of my scoffers take notice?

When I say self-taught, I'm not taking lessons. I'd be allowed to post swing videos and ask for _free_ advice online.

Let's make a legal "wager" of sorts.

Either for

A. Me to eat some I Told You So's, or

B. You to have to Tip Your Hat and acknowledge I must be doing something right

When I say self-taught, I'm not taking lessons. I'd be allowed to post swing videos and as for other free advice online.

I'm a beginner. I took one all-day lesson in high school, I'm now 48, and never played in between.

It's only fair to admit I've done other things decently in a self-taught manner.

_But I'll have to do it on pitiful spare time after working full time and having family obligations._

Having realized it's not worth being on a friend's neighborhood course yet, I'm not even "playing" yet -- just going to the range (when I have time) and using aids at home like a net and a training aid I'm getting flamed for expressing my positive experience with. I don't have money for things like a professional indoor smart range, etc.

**Again, in a friendly, sporting spirit:**

---> If I have credible witnesses, what score would I have to make for my critics, one year from today (2020) to have to admit to themselves (if not the board and me) that I must have done something unusually, uncommonly right (the opposite of being foolish). ? (don't say something unfair like scratch golfer or par for the course)

An 18 handicap in one year perhaps?

Maybe one swing over par averaged out over 18 holes? So... 90 on a par 72, the day of the game?

Would that seem like something you wouldn't expect possible for a Swing Groove user (LOL) with no lessons ?

God as my witness, as a professional and verifiable minister, I won't lie about the lessons.

C'mon it will be fun! Participate!

You already did the hard part, nobody likes reading anything longer than a tweet anymore.

I love a good challenge, especially when it's over the debate between foolishness on my part vs. classic close-mindedness of individuals flaming me for my fun toy or my happy beginner's experience-review of it.

:)

Depends on course rating... My home course is 6000 yds from the tips with a 69 rating and a slope of 114, so pretty easy course. I would say you would have your work cut out for you to break 90. On a harder course I think breaking 100 would be a feat. This is of course playing completely by the rules, no improving lies, no gimmies, no mulligans.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

With not much time, starting at 48 unless you’re really a great athlete I think if you can break 100 on par 72 you’re doing well in a year. Have fun, keep us posted. PS: Monte scheinblum has a few videos Efficient Golf being on that would give you a decent and coherent approach. The problem with wandering over the Internet is it’s hard to know what is valid and basic vs what’s way off in the weeds. The key to improving is finding solid things to work on and then working on them. As a beginner that has its own profound learning curve.

Others may have different suggestions as to who to take a close look at, but I really would suggest following one or two

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

My parents course where I grew up playing is a 70/131. I’d be super impressed if a beginner with a year of work were able to break 90 for real. 85 would be almost super human. And 80... well that’s just absurd.

But I guess it’s possible. I think Greg Norman got to scratch within 2 years. But then that’s Greg Freakin Norman.

Also depends a lot on age, time available and prior athleticism. Like if you’re a great freshman hockey player and decide to forget about hockey and take up golf and spend all your free time practicing for a year, then I’d lay a hundie you could break 90.

40 year old with job and family? Forget it. Not gonna happen.

Any true tracked handicap under 20 would be impressive. Shooting 85 or better on a 6,000 yard or longer course would be impressive.

For reference I'm in year 5. 42. Same story re newness to the game. Coordinated, but deskjob and in lousy shape.

First two years I played every weekend and practiced and ranged. My best drives were over 200 but not by much. Irons were up and down. Short game was acceptable, but not the saving grace it needed to be.

My best scores on legit courses were in the 90s. I think in year 1 I had one round in the high 80s somewhere I played a lot, and the course was under 6k yards.

Again, coordinated, but in lousy shape.

If you're in good enough shape to drive the ball 250+ in year 1 with regularity, then Godspeed, that will help a ton. If you're sub 200 like most beginners, it will be very difficult to lower your cap to under 20, or shoot in the 80s from a men's teebox.

Your short game or fairway woods would have to be lights out. And you'd be playing classic old man golf, drive 180 low and down the middle, hit a strong second club, then get up and down.

Best of luck. Don't quit after year 1 if you don't hit your goal. I have more fun every time out. And the better I get, the more fun it gets. And you have to pay the freight.

Your athletic background makes a huge difference. If you're a former proffessional hockey player or something id be a lot more likely to say you can make great strides. Also how much you'll play is very relevant. Are you gonna play every day?

If you're just a regular dude and not a former Olympic decathlete or whatever, and playing like twice a week like us normal schmoes do....I'd say 15 handicap would be pretty good.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Everbody is different, depending on your fitness level and natural athletic ability it could be anything from an 8-10 and your buddies being like "he does everything well, what did you expect?" to" Geez, I can't believe the bumbling land whale got all the way down to 18." When I started playing golf in high school I went from shooting 110-120 to shooting 80-82 in 4 months. If I had to tackle that now, 30 years later... doubt I could improve that fast.

I started at age 25 and broke 80 on a pretty easy 6200 yard course in my first season. I credit a multi-sport background having played football, basketball, baseball, tennis and racquetball. I think the tennis and racquetball were most helpful. I was a very good putter from the get-go and was also a decent chipper, albeit fairly one-dimensional back then.

By the time I actually started keeping a handicap (in my 3rd season) I was in single digits. I hovered between a 4 and 7 for years, then improved dramatically in my mid forties when my daughter started playing. I knew I wasn't qualified to coach her on the swing, so I started reading and learning, and ultimately hooked up with Geoff Jones (Slicefixer here on GolfWRX). I'm 51 now and playing good golf...currently a 1 HC and have had several bogey-free under par rounds recently.

So, I think your progress will be very dependent on your athletic ability and experience, a good conceptual & functional understanding of the swing , proprioception, and the time you're able to dedicate to practice and playing. You're starting at a more advanced age than I did, but I would not be surprised if you were able to break 90 on a course of average difficulty within your first year.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

I think someone should notate the correlation bt driver distance and handicap here. To hear most tell it, they focus on athleticism and sport background- but what OP needs to know is that what those things need to translate to for someone who isn't 65 and playing for 40 years is distance.

Your short game can be great, but you're not going to get up and down as many times as it helps to drive 260 and hit an 8i in versus 210 and hitting a 3h.

> @Justsomeguy said:

> I think someone should notate the correlation bt driver distance and handicap here. To hear most tell it, they focus on athleticism and sport background- but what OP needs to know is that what those things need to translate to for someone who isn't 65 and playing for 40 years is distance.

> Your short game can be great, but you're not going to get up and down as many times as it helps to drive 260 and hit an 8i in versus 210 and hitting a 3h.

In my experience, guys with athletic backgrounds in baseball, hockey, and tennis can all move the ball pretty well if they're healthy and still have good mobility. The skills learned from those sports are pretty transferable in terms of hitting the ball with some zip, and also having "touch."

I think we'd be able to predict more accurately if we knew more about the OP's athletic experience.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

This is like picking a needle in a haystack stack. The best bet, according to stats would be a guess of scoring in the 90s at best. On the other hand is the athletic guy that scores in the 70s after a year. Depends on his god given genetics and his background in sports.

I was in the 70s after 1 year and a single digit cap. Never had a lesson and started at age 54. So it can be done and is not all that rare. I scored in the 60s after about 2 years and was a 2 cap.

Thank you, thank you, very much -- for all of your thoughtful comments.

Athletic backgound? Good point. Totally average.

I do have a martial arts time put in throughout life off and on, although not for 15 years.

One tennis trophy decades old... a little horseback riding and waterskiing...

More recently I like darts, yoyo tricks, and ample, recent archery (life long with archery, too, off and on).

But that's really it.

I'm dealing with a lot of injuries at 48, LOL. Some just careless.

I'm blessed with living on an acre, and its layout allows me to hit all the hollow or foam balls I want and I'm amazed at the scaled-down yet unexpected feedback they do provide across the board, change the stance to hook or slice etc., and I have a cheap net for what it's worth for real balls at home.

I'll get to the range regularly a couple times a week if I can, realistically play Silver Dollar in Odessa FL 2x a month, and just hack away in my yard the rest of the time with wiffle balls and a net on a daily basis, engrossed in reading and watching and mulling over the differences and choosing paths.

Not a ton of free time erecting a church... no kids, but geriatric folks up the road using me to avoid assisted living, a wife with needs. And radio ministry pays squat, so I occasionally have to double P/T at an aerospace machine shop at times. That's why I think that goal (18-20 handicap and shoot a 90 or a 92 next Easter weekend) is ambitious, but I have a point to prove now (in fun... thrill, even).

I'm energetic, focused, am a learner, and am going to hit that 90-92 on the local par 72 in one year :)

It seems confirmed here that if I can do that (especially with no official in-person or paid lessons of any kind) then I'm no complete fool after all.

I'll present witnesses for that Easter game, win or lose ( whereas a handicap can be fudged) and include a video. Nevermind I'm clergy and lying is, well, bad.

**I'm going to resurrect this thread**, for better or for worse, Easter 2020.

I appreciate your participation; it cleared my mind after some bickering and focused my goal.

Initially inspired by a whizzing contest when I uncharacteristically responded to feeling trolled...

...ultimately, as a result, perhaps this 1 year, self-taught challenge may wind up an interesting experiment to for some and provide one mote of data about what people in a similar position with a similar idea might expect (an end more worthwhile than the whizzing contest that spawned the idea).

I will certainly do my best to be an interesting example.

I _will _be focusing with that compromised time I do have. So far I'm loving my book, cheap camera, and other low-cost, rogue resources.

It's amazing to learn something and suddenly see it work the same day.

Haha, and picking up 10 year old clubs (sets, drivers, hybrids) in good condition currently flooding Goodwill for $1.18 each (!) to start out with has been a heck of a resource and with a little closet space (in two rooms, LOL) it equips me with myriad fitting and personal options, a little like po boy custom fitting. Dad's early 80's Northwesterns were a good gesture and started all this, but they're pickled, nearly mint (recently polished), as a keepsake. Fun to try one day as a novelty when I know I'll just hit the inserts and not abuse them. I love antiquity and wish mid-century golf was as common as hickory golf around here, but classic play is another topic. 10-year old OEM staple clubs in every flex, style, and preference are serving me well from the thrift store for modern beginner golf. I'm totally average height so that helps until I have custom fitting one day (most of the lie angles seem to do and be exactly what Ralph Maltby explains and recommends, from what I can tell, tip up at address and flatten out in swing). Now if I can just dial in becoming that golf robot.

Thanks again, in earnest, for the thoughtful replies. It did a lot for me.

I love these threads. It’s always cool to see just how odd I am. Started practicing in Jan 2014. I broke 80 for the first time that July. (79) According to my scoring charts My scoring average was 87.7 at that time. And I have several even par 9 hole runs.

That being said. I’m glad I didn’t post anything asking if it was possible. I was naive enough to think that shooting par was what any decent player did. So that pushed me to keep going.

My background is higher level athletics in 3 sports. And an OCD brain that won’t accept failure . And I literally love to practice. So I know that helps a ton.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> I love these threads. It’s always cool to see just how odd I am. Started practicing in Jan 2014. I broke 80 for the first time that July. (79) According to my scoring charts My scoring average was 87.7 at that time. And I have several even par 9 hole runs.

>

> That being said. I’m glad I didn’t post anything asking if it was possible. I was naive enough to think that shooting par was what any decent player did. So that pushed me to keep going.

>

> My background is higher level athletics in 3 sports. And an OCD brain that won’t accept failure . And I literally love to practice. So I know that helps a ton.

Great points Blade! No doubt my ignorance and naivety were a huge help when I started. I actually refused to believe that the game should be difficult and my crazy competitiveness had me beating my buddies, all guys who grew up playing the game, within a season or two. I figured if o could beat 'em in other sports, I should beat 'em at golf too...lol! No lessons, nothing technical, just hit it, find it, and get it in the hole.

Once down to a mid single digit however, my misconceptions about the swing and relatively poor mechanics limited my progress and left me wildly inconsistent. Wasn't til I really began studying the swing and cleaning up some poor fundamentals that I was able to get down to zero, win a couple of club championships and be competitive in local/state comps.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @dpb5031 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > I love these threads. It’s always cool to see just how odd I am. Started practicing in Jan 2014. I broke 80 for the first time that July. (79) According to my scoring charts My scoring average was 87.7 at that time. And I have several even par 9 hole runs.

> >

> > That being said. I’m glad I didn’t post anything asking if it was possible. I was naive enough to think that shooting par was what any decent player did. So that pushed me to keep going.

> >

> > My background is higher level athletics in 3 sports. And an OCD brain that won’t accept failure . And I literally love to practice. So I know that helps a ton.

>

> Great points Blade! No doubt my ignorance and naivety were a huge help when I started. I actually refused to believe that the game should be difficult and my crazy competitiveness had me beating my buddies, all guys who grew up playing the game, within a season or two. I figured if o could beat 'em in other sports, I should beat 'em at golf too...lol! No lessons, nothing technical, just hit it, find it, and get it in the hole.

>

> Once down to a mid single digit however, my misconceptions about the swing and relatively poor mechanics limited my progress and left me wildly inconsistent. Wasn't til I really began studying the swing and cleaning up some poor fundamentals that I was able to get down to zero, win a couple of club championships and be competitive in local/state comps.

>

yes sir..

thats exactly to a T my story .... I was used to being the fastest runner, highest jumper or having the best touch at basketball.. so why not golf ? lol Our club pro is my next door neighbor...so hes who i set my sights on... I mean..hes only been playing since age 7...hes 59 now...lol last year he almost qualified for this years senior PGA tournament... and ive now beat him head to head more time than i can count..

Like you though around 77 or so i hit a wall, and began to study the swing.. It helps to be a naturally mechanical minded guy , who always answers questions with qustions..lol and "why"? is my favorite one. Im self taught at nearly everything , so that made it easier too. Im a big visual chameleon ..I can see a move and copy it ... sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt .. i shortened my backswing from Bubba long to less than parallel on my own and worked on more club , more consistency .... and low round to date is 65 in comp.. but due to a balky putter my scoring average right now is still over par. One day ill conquer the putter too.

i will add.. ive picked up a couple of great Mentors along the way ... But neither stand and watch me hit balls often ...we work more on how to score and at first curbing my temper which would blow up a good round after 1 bad swing ( thing of the past) ...

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I was a pretty good athlete, ( played football, hockey and basketball)in my youth and started the game at 18. I was a 14 my first year and got to zero seven years later. I practised a ton for the first five years.

• Like 1

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

I really wish I started as a kid. I can watch I guy swing and almost always tell if he played as a kid, or not. Something much more natural about it when you learn something as a child. Doesn't always mean you can score or be a good competitive player though. I think the only thing that truly came natural to me is putting.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

> @dpb5031 said:

> I really wish I started as a kid. I can watch I guy swing and almost always tell if he played as a kid, or not. Something much more natural about it when you learn something as a child. Doesn't always mean you can score or be a good competitive player though. I think the only thing that truly came natural to me is putting.

I second the “ wish I’d started as a kid”. That part haunts me. I’ve never known what it feels like to play free of adults worries. I tell my 10 year old every tome I think of that to enjoy his time as a kid. It’s fleeting.

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My son started last summer... shot 96 in a tournament 2 weeks ago on course with 72.6/131 rating. And he doesn’t practice near as much as he should. So I think it’s completely possible.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

Wasn't Larry Nelson a +3 within 1 year of staring golf in his late 20's

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Blade, how much did you play at first?

Obviously talent from other sports that can be applied to golf is tremendously helpful, but I still think regular play is necessary. Even a physical marvel probably isn't breaking 80 within a year if they are hitting balls 1-2 times a week and playing weekend golf. Maybe, but man that would be really tough.

Like you, I played good golf very quickly, but I was 23 , couldn't get a date and lived next to a driving range. So I was hitting balls 5 times a week and also playing weekends. I was a former basketball, football and soccer player etc etc so was athletic and dedicated a lot of time to it

I think time is as important as athletic skill. That hasn't been discussed much in this thread

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @dpb5031 said:

> I started at age 25 and broke 80 on a pretty easy 6200 yard course in my first season. I credit a multi-sport background having played football, basketball, baseball, tennis and racquetball. I think the tennis and racquetball were most helpful. I was a very good putter from the get-go and was also a decent chipper, albeit fairly one-dimensional back then.

>

> By the time I actually started keeping a handicap (in my 3rd season) I was in single digits. I hovered between a 4 and 7 for years, then improved dramatically in my mid forties when my daughter started playing. I knew I wasn't qualified to coach her on the swing, so I started reading and learning, and ultimately hooked up with Geoff Jones (Slicefixer here on GolfWRX). I'm 51 now and playing good golf...currently a 1 HC and have had several bogey-free under par rounds recently.

>

> So, I think your progress will be very dependent on your athletic ability and experience, a good conceptual & functional understanding of the swing , proprioception, and the time you're able to dedicate to practice and playing. You're starting at a more advanced age than I did, but I would not be surprised if you were able to break 90 on a course of average difficulty within your first year.

pretty much this.

I have a lot of friends from high school that were athletes in other sport that picked up the game after college. It was insane how fast their handicapped dropped in a year of "focused" practice. I think if you've had a hobby in the past whether it be sports or something else that you were competitive and decent at. You can pick up golf pretty fast

I am a little jealous I've been playing most of my life and some friends are breaking 80 within the first year and shooting low 80s on some tough tracks. shooting under doesn't feel that great when I only beat them by 8-10 strokes

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I started at 27 but I took lessons and never really stopped.

3 months to break 100.

One year to break 90.

2 years to break 80.

3 years shot par.

6 years under par.

7 years under 70.

The only thing that would surprise me is if you play/ practice every day and decide to not get lessons. That seems like an odd choice.

• Like 1

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow