2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

SNELL MTB-X

mwmgolfx

Just got my MTB-X balls last week and have spent week thoroughly testing them. Fully agree with some of the comments by Dean Snell about difference between MTB-RED and MTB-X. X definitely doesn't balloon into wind. Played last week into average 20-25 mph wind (mostly into) with some gusts over 30 mph. Ball definitely didn't balloon like Red did, especially high iron shots. RED was just like hitting balloon and no chance of flying thru wind, but acted just like balloon. Tried ball on Tee, 150 yards to pin, and ton of 70-100 yard shots. Fairly accurate and stopped pretty good on green. Further runout than MTB-Black but way better than most balls. In fact, ball flew much shorter for me than black. lost about 25% distance with ball compared to black but very straight into windy, especially cross-wind type shots. I'm a senior with super long drivers over 170. And BLack was almost always longer. X was less impacted by wind, but being a short hitter I can't afford the 10-20% loss in distance so will be shifting back to basic MTB-black as my go to ball and not the newer X. I guess it's really not for the slower older player. I must not put enough spin on the driver to keep it in the air versus the Black. In fact most of the clubs spin the black more than the X. Most times, I don't back a ball up on the green but ball hits green once rolls 3-5 feet and stops right there. X is definitely harder feel but no worse than PRO-Vs.

Tried the new Optic Yellow and it seems easier to see with that color so will be going to that with the Black on my next order.

Thanks for the write-up! I played the MTB-x poorly for a week and it was a decent fit for my swing and a good ball all around for a ProVx player... I need to get my game back into shape before I fully commit to a ball this season...

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

• 2 weeks later...

So what are your thoughts for the best ball for a slower swing lets say in the 80 to 90 range?

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

If you want a ball that goes as far as anything out there, flies high off the driver and spins a lot on approach shots you can do a lot worse than 2019 Pro V1x. If you want similar performance but a little lower ball flight 2019 Pro V1 is an option.

I did not think the first generation Snell MTB Red was anything at all like a Pro V1x (or Pro V1) but I have an open mind about the updated Snell MTB-X ball which a lot of people say is very Pro V1x-like.

If you don't care about maximum carry off the driver and/or you're willing to give up considerable spin on iron shots, the AVX is quite amazing as a low-flying, wind-cheating, added-tee-shot-rollout monster that's beloved by a lot of slower swingers at my club and elsewhere.

I'm saying this as a 90mph driver swinger who has tried a lot of different golf balls. My subjective impression seems similar to what was found in the much-discussed recent "test" on another web site (which has its own thread here).

> @crazygolfnut said:

> So what are your thoughts for the best ball for a slower swing lets say in the 80 to 90 range?

Try the Vice Pro Soft. Really good ball for slower swing speeds. The matte finish gets dirty pretty quickly, but it’s still a really good ball.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

I put this in the ball test thread but it probably better fits here:

Tried the Snell MTB-X today for the first time and was pretty surprised at the results as they matched the **** test results almost exactly. Usual ball of choice is the ProV1x although I never buy new (my supply always come from those found by myself or playing partners). Temperature today was in the low 40s with drizzle while I played so did not expect to learn much about the ball. However, I hit, even in those conditions, 3 of my longest tee shots ever on three holes with the MTB-X. It was stunning. The mid irons were a few yards shorter than the Titleists (I hit 2-3 Snells each hole and 1-2 ProV1x also) but similar trajectory and spin. Full shots with the short irons were a little lower with the Snells with spin again being similar. Partial wedges were notably lower with the Snells, which meant more roll out even though the spin was similar. I am curious to see how the Snell fares in the wind, which has been my only bone of contention with the ProV1x.

> @"North Butte" said:

> If you want a ball that goes as far as anything out there, flies high off the driver and spins a lot on approach shots you can do a lot worse than 2019 Pro V1x. If you want similar performance but a little lower ball flight 2019 Pro V1 is an option.

>

> I did not think the first generation Snell MTB Red was anything at all like a Pro V1x (or Pro V1) but I have an open mind about the updated Snell MTB-X ball which a lot of people say is very Pro V1x-like.

>

> If you don't care about maximum carry off the driver and/or you're willing to give up considerable spin on iron shots, the AVX is quite amazing as a low-flying, wind-cheating, added-tee-shot-rollout monster that's beloved by a lot of slower swingers at my club and elsewhere.

>

> I'm saying this as a 90mph driver swinger who has tried a lot of different golf balls. My subjective impression seems similar to what was found in the much-discussed recent "test" on another web site (which has its own thread here).

I actually got a pre release test balls when the Red and Black were released and my comments to Dean privately were exactly what he said regarding the reasoning for the update... Inconsistent flight off the driver, prone to ballooning, outstanding wedge-short game ball, great long irons but too spinny and high launch off of the mid and short irons, the covers were also a cheaper formed urethane most likely to offset the cost of the extra layer. At the time I feel like my comments were kind of dismissed but obviously they ended up being echoed.

It's a tricky thing trying to maximize performance and value. Like the old adage goes: Lighter, cheaper, stronger... Pick two.

• 3 years later...

I played MTB-X for probably the best 2-3 years of iron play i've had so far. I just recently thought, "I swing fast, big strong man, need low spin ball", so I bought a 5-box pack of the MTB-Black 18 months ago and I'm just about through the 5th box. I never compared them side by side but comparing those elongated tenures with each ball:

• Woods: They both fly pretty much the same off the tee. My 12 handicap a** can't tell any difference between both Snell's, but I can tell a Snell from other manufacturers (Snell flight is so piercing off driver)
  • Iron Approach: MTB-X definitely spins more (again, my un-informed un-trained self can notice). MTB-Black holds greens and stays on greens and has a much more up-and-down ball flight (kinda like a punt, you can't see the spin change the ball flight). MTB-X has that elevator ball flight, which i love. I've learned that I would much rather play taking spin off, than trying to add spin so I'm going back to MTB-X.
  • Iron Distance: I don't know about iron distances but i know my distances were a lot tighter/more consistent with MTB-X, which is what you want anyways. I just knew that I could trust my distances more.
  • Wedge Feel: MTB-X is a little "tock"-ier that the Black. MTB-X has a softer skin, feels like it grabs the face more on short chips. It may seem like a contradiction but I think Dean Snell might say the same thing somewhere in the internet. Maybe its because it has a slightly firmer core but softer skin? who know, i sure don't.
  • Durability: MTB-X (due to assumed softer skin) can maybe last 2 rounds if you can keep the ball. They look like they've been run over by a lawn mower after a round. MTB-Black looks like it could last at least double what the X lasts, but I lose my Black before that happens so I couldn't tell you.
  • Like 2

Driver:        Titleist Ts3 9.5° - 60g PX Evenflow Riptide CB 6.5

3W:            Taylormade M6 - 70g PX HZRDUS Smoke 6.5

3HY:           Titleist Ts3 19° - 100g PX Evenflow White 6.5

4U:             Tour Edge EXS Ti-Utility 22° - 110g Recoil F5 Utility 

5-PW:         New Level 902 forged - DG X100 AMT White

GW/SW:     Ping Glide 3.0 - 50° & 55°

LW:             Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face - 60°

P:                Odyssey Strokelab Double Wide

14 hours ago, Hoff_19 said:

I played MTB-X for probably the best 2-3 years of iron play i've had so far. I just recently thought, "I swing fast, big strong man, need low spin ball", so I bought a 5-box pack of the MTB-Black 18 months ago and I'm just about through the 5th box. I never compared them side by side but comparing those elongated tenures with each ball:

• Woods: They both fly pretty much the same off the tee. My 12 handicap a** can't tell any difference between both Snell's, but I can tell a Snell from other manufacturers (Snell flight is so piercing off driver)
  • Iron Approach: MTB-X definitely spins more (again, my un-informed un-trained self can notice). MTB-Black holds greens and stays on greens and has a much more up-and-down ball flight (kinda like a punt, you can't see the spin change the ball flight). MTB-X has that elevator ball flight, which i love. I've learned that I would much rather play taking spin off, than trying to add spin so I'm going back to MTB-X.
  • Iron Distance: I don't know about iron distances but i know my distances were a lot tighter/more consistent with MTB-X, which is what you want anyways. I just knew that I could trust my distances more.
  • Wedge Feel: MTB-X is a little "tock"-ier that the Black. MTB-X has a softer skin, feels like it grabs the face more on short chips. It may seem like a contradiction but I think Dean Snell might say the same thing somewhere in the internet. Maybe its because it has a slightly firmer core but softer skin? who know, i sure don't.
  • Durability: MTB-X (due to assumed softer skin) can maybe last 2 rounds if you can keep the ball. They look like they've been run over by a lawn mower after a round. MTB-Black looks like it could last at least double what the X lasts, but I lose my Black before that happens so I couldn't tell you.

I like the MTB-X as well.  Lets see how the new ones work.  I always thought the MTB-X was a 4 piece for some reason, whoever, I looked at the boxes the other day and it sales 3-piece cast urethane.  hmmmm.  

3 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I like the MTB-X as well.  Lets see how the new ones work.  I always thought the MTB-X was a 4 piece for some reason, whoever, I looked at the boxes the other day and it sales 3-piece cast urethane.  hmmmm.  

Did Dean change the formula for this year?  I still have 2 boxes from last year and it's my go to warm weather ball.   

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Did Dean change the formula for this year?  I still have 2 boxes from last year and it's my go to warm weather ball.   

I don't know.  There isn't any information out there to know.  My question is why would they let their current stock run out in favor of the new model if there weren't any changes?  So, I'm assuming, there are some changes but I wouldn't know if it's cover, mantle, core or any combination of the three.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 3:00 AM, wantacigar said:

Yup, I'm pretty sure Dean says he's always made 3 piece balls (a la original Pro-V1 that he co-designed). I think because its more efficient/effective to spend more $ on the higher quality material over more $ on adding another step in manufacturing more layers. Or maybe it was something else, I can't remember where I heard this, reading or watching a video or something. 

• Like 1

Driver:        Titleist Ts3 9.5° - 60g PX Evenflow Riptide CB 6.5

3W:            Taylormade M6 - 70g PX HZRDUS Smoke 6.5

3HY:           Titleist Ts3 19° - 100g PX Evenflow White 6.5

4U:             Tour Edge EXS Ti-Utility 22° - 110g Recoil F5 Utility 

5-PW:         New Level 902 forged - DG X100 AMT White

GW/SW:     Ping Glide 3.0 - 50° & 55°

LW:             Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face - 60°

P:                Odyssey Strokelab Double Wide

2 hours ago, Hoff_19 said:

Yup, I'm pretty sure Dean says he's always made 3 piece balls (a la original Pro-V1 that he co-designed). I think because its more efficient/effective to spend more $ on the higher quality material over more $ on adding another step in manufacturing more layers. Or maybe it was something else, I can't remember where I heard this, reading or watching a video or something. 

The MTB-X has always been a 3 pc ball.  It replaced the MTB Red which was a 4 pc ball.

• 2 weeks later...