Some like them hot...P790 vs Hot Metal Pro

rxk9fan

I hope someone tells me to use my search because there are already 15 threads on this...but I can't find them. I would think these two irons would be marketed at the same group of golfers?

Has anyone played both, or hit side by side?

What did you think. Which do you prefer and why?

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I only briefly demo'd a P790 - wasn't my cup of tea. But I also didn't like the i500, or the Hot Metal - ended up going i210. When the HMP came out I was interested as I prefer less offset and have admired Mizuno from afar. Ordered up a 7i and liked it a lot - enough to buy the rest of the set and put my i210s up for sale. HMP doens't feel/sound hollow or especially clicky, and it has a lot of jump. Seems to tolerate my less-than-perfect swing pretty well.

TXG did a short video on the HMPs:

AI Smoke Max Tensei Blue 55R | Cleveland Halo XL HyWood 3+ Tensei Blue 55R

G430 4-5H Alta R | Srixon ZX4-5 7i-AW Dart 65R

Glide4 Eye2 56 | Vokey 60 M | Ping Anser 2023

I did a fitting with the P790 and a fitting with the HMP. I’m sure I would have been happy with both. I felt more comfortable ordering my specs from Mizuno than I did Taylormade. Received my custom HMP’s in a week. They ship from Atlanta in the US so made it to IL real quick. Also the shafts and grips I wanted were no upcharge. I think maybe since the HMP’s were new and the P790’s have been around awhile could have helped make my decision. Didn’t want TM to come out with a replacement soon after I received mine.

Received my HMP set last Thursday and I’m chomping at the bit to play. I’ve yet to hit a golf ball with them, but I’m leaving Wednesday for 7 rounds with guys from work. Absolutely drooling at the mouth just looking at them. I will say I’m not thrilled with the 4i showing the back of the club at address, but that’s something I’ll have to deal with if the clubs play as good as I’m hoping.

The P790 requires more speed to elevate than the HMPs. That was huge info for my decision, but I also prefer the feel and added spin of the HMPs compared to the class of distance players irons. I’m still a high capper by definition, but I have had no problems with the forgiveness of the HMPs.

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

I love the p790. Several friends that play them as well. Nothing but compliments. My distances are spot on.

Hmp are good too. However, still too chunky for my tastes.

Honestly, I’m surprised your mizuno came in on spec and without issue. I’m a big mizuno fan... have ordered several sets and clubs from them - never received any that had straight grips or to the specs requested. I love mizuno, but their assembly quality is not good, from my experience.

Never had these problems from Callaway and Taylormade.

PXG Black Ops Tour 1 Fujikura Motore X F3

PXG Black Ops 3 wood hzrdus black

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid hzrdus black

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade  MG 46/52/58wedges

TaylorMade Spider mallet 72 putter

I own both and as much as I love the look of the P790, the HMP's look nearly as good, with a slightly thicker top line and sole, yet w slightly "less" offset to the 790. Both are the same distance wise, but I have experienced the "hot-spots" that others have on the TM's, and ultimately, can't long term bag an iron that I cannot trust.

> @mikec3672 said:

> I own both and as much as I love the look of the P790, the HMP's look nearly as good, with a slightly thicker top line and sole, yet w slightly "less" offset to the 790. Both are the same distance wise, but I have experienced the "hot-spots" that others have on the TM's, and ultimately, can't long term bag an iron that I cannot trust.

This is one of the areas I am most interested in. Have you found the distances more consistent with the HMP's? I have a single P790 that I used as a long iron but I could not dial in the distance as well as I think I have to do to score. Variables in lie of the ball, length of the grass... anything that could materially affect contact seemed to be magnified with the resulting distances with the P790. If I had a perfect lie and hit it well I knew what I would get. However with the less than perfect lies, while I understood was less than perfect, I would sometimes be surprised with the resulting distance. You kind of need to know what your misses will do too, and for me at least that was difficult with the P790....otherwise loved it. I have the HMP coming in this week and I hope I can better predict distances from the less than perfect hits (if that makes any sense).

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Hit both quite a bit side-by-side last weekend. I'm glad to see above someone else say the HMP has less offset than the P790. On paper TM lists the P790 as having less but when you look at the two side-by-side the HMP definitely has less offset. This is my only complaint about HMP, wish Mizuno would have put the 919 Forged offset in the HMP.

Anyway, for me both performed very similar. The HMP seemed slightly more forgiving and definitely got the ball up easier. The HMP has slightly more spin but was tough to tell because I couldn't hit both with the same shafts. My fitter didn't have the PX LZ 5.5 for the P790 and after I learned TM wanted $25 per shaft for PX LZ, considering all other factors, I was done with the P790 at that point.

I think both are fine clubs and there's not much difference in them. I would say schedule a fitting, hit both and purchase the one you like the best, I don't think the numbers are going to differ that much.

> @bogeypro said:

> here's my theory on the hotspots (people said the same thing with the TMB and apex cf16 irons as well): people actually hit the center of the club and it reacts accordingly. They aren't used to that so they call it a hot spot. Hit the center more, less perceived hot spots.

Post of the year. I put g410s back in the bag yesterday. Toe strikes were going normal distance. Flushed ones easily 10-15 yards further. But at my 14 cap I catch center maybe 1 out 5, but the toe strikes feel like solid strikes and then all of the sudden bam.

• Like 2

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

> @bogeypro said:

> here's my theory on the hotspots (people said the same thing with the TMB and apex cf16 irons as well): people actually hit the center of the club and it reacts accordingly. They aren't used to that so they call it a hot spot. Hit the center more, less perceived hot spots.

So true. I've found that the P790s like to be hit higher on the face [than I tend to when my swing isn't great]. It's not a hot spot -- it's the sweet spot. And it's just a reminder that I don't hit it as often as I should. But that doesn't make the club less predictable. In fact, they're so good on mishits that it's easy to be lazy and hit them off the bottom of the face and still have the shot work out almost as well.

• Like 1

For me, the 790s were the first TM iron in a while that interested me enough to try it in the hitting bay. Unfortunately it ended there. Just couldn't hit it well. Tried some others like Apex and Hot Metals just to be sure it wasn't me, and hit those fine.

Doesn't mean that TM is putting out junk, but sometimes there are clubs that just aren't meant to be for me. HMPs were much better for me.

> @BlkNGld said:

> For me, the 790s were the first TM iron in a while that interested me enough to try it in the hitting bay. Unfortunately it ended there. Just couldn't hit it well. Tried some others like Apex and Hot Metals just to be sure it wasn't me, and hit those fine.

>

> Doesn't mean that TM is putting out junk, but sometimes there are clubs that just aren't meant to be for me. HMPs were much better for me.

Deja Vu

I had the 790’s. Just couldn’t get use to the hollow iron feel. The HP Pro are every bit as consistent as my MMC’s only 5-7 yards longer.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

> @noodle3872 said:

> I had the 790’s. Just couldn’t get use to the hollow iron feel. The HP Pro are every bit as consistent as my MMC’s only 5-7 yards longer.

Now I am excited! My favorite 2 most recent sets are the MMC's and Z945's. Thank you so much for your comment. Good news while I wait for my clubs to arrive since I have played many rounds with the club you compare. I expect my HMP to arrive today or tomorrow latest.

Our bags look like our taste may be along the same lines too. I like your iron shaft but have moved to Recoil due to elbow issues. I liked the MMC's. The Spider X is my favorite putter of all time and I play the TP5. I play a M4 FW, and only recently finally moved away from the TM M2 driver.

If you like the HMP, that is a good sign for me!

Thank you!

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I was fitted into my HMP's right when they came out and I hit the P790s as well and just didn't like the feel of them and they didn't fit my eye as well as the HMP's either.

I don't know if I'd say the P790's were hard or mushy, just more clicky/harsh than the HMPs when struck pure (which as a 14 hdcp I can do a decent amount, but certainly not all, of the time). To be fair the P790's didn't feel as clicky as the i500s I tried during my fitting, but I still just didn't like the feel of them. Maybe had a *tiny* bit more distance on the P790s but it was coming from a lower launch and spin which I and my fitter weren't really excited about.

My fitting actually came down to the z585s and the HMPs and the HMPs ended up wining out for me because I preferred the feel (even though they are cast and the 585's are "forged", still preferred the feeling of the HMPs when struck well). Extra bonus points for Mizzy for being the cheapest option AND having my CTL shafts and MCC Plus4 grips with no upcharge as well. Fitter found one tweak off with the 4 iron when the order came (loft and lie were to spec, but club just didn't balance/hang right) which he easily fixed.

• 4 years later...

I just had a fitting yesterday and went into the fitting with my eye on the P790s as both of my mates have that set and they are very appealing to the eye. But, I wanted to go in with an open mind and allow the fitter to recommend what he thought was best based on my swing and see what felt the best. 

I ended up narrowing it down to the HMPs and the P790s out of the 8-9 clubs I swung. Both had the most distance and best feel IMO. The HMPs had a bit more consistency in disparity on shots and also had more distance by average with my worst shot being significantly further than my worst shot with the P790s. 

I did end up getting an upgraded shaft as my swing speed averages around 94-95mph and hit 98.8 max. I had to go with the more stout shaft from Mizuno which was an extra $60 per club.

Also, to note, while hitting the 7i of the P790s I broke the shaft. Not sure how or where, I just remember feeling like I hit the net on my follow through but the net was nowhere near me and the fitter taking the club, trying to tighten the screw and it would not tighten. He said we were not able to continue hitting that club, and that that was a common theme with the P790 shafts. Said they do not sell a lot of TaylorMade because of this issue. It was mentioned by a previous comment to where a guy lost the head of his 4i 3 swings in. Beware!!

I played them both as maybe it's more because of my shaft selection with my HMP's but the HMP checks all the boxes for me. Hands down better feel, more distance, a bit more forgiveness, very consistent in yardage and love the penetrating ball flight. Both looks great as that is a personal preference but don't say the P790's feel better than the HMP's as not only is the feel better they sound better. Now the next P790's will later be released but I don't see how TM will improve on them. Fantastic turf interaction and did I mention how much money you'll save with the Mizuno's as I'm so surprised they could sell such an amazing set of irons for the price they do. I'm curious as to what shaft upgrade did you go for that was $60 more per club. 

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip