How would you play this hole/pin location?

tbc0tb1igw9m.png

Back Pin located guarded bunkers front sides.

Small neck entry to green.

Green slops back to front.

Pin positioned in between your carry gaps (i.e: 6 iron for below line and 5 iron for above line)

Back of green is not dead but short side yourself with elevated green and green runs away from you.

How would you play this hole/pin location?

Go for flag? go short? go long?

How would your manage your miss?

Thanks in advance

I would grip down on my 5i, and hit a draw. You don't want to be long, but with a 6i my miss would be in the right bunker. I think with that hole location, my 5i miss is towards the upper right of the green.

Obviously a straight shot would be the best bet here, but I think I forgot how to do that...

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

5 iron, take some off, fade away from hole to the right. Over fade and miss green past right bunker.

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

How would I play it or how I would like to play it? Two different things currently. I would like to take a hair off with the five-likely play just a bit of a cut. I would probably double cross myself into the left bunker. :( Aaah, the power of positive thinking. :)

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @crapula said:

> 5 iron, take some off, fade away from hole to the right. Over fade and miss green past right bunker.

This is what I'm thinking without any additional information.

Is it a SEVERE slope? If so, maybe the 6. Is the up & down from pin high really difficult?

The 6 iron looks like you're putting more trouble into play.

More interesting shot with that front pin.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Miss short. Whether you are in the fairway/apron or the front right bunker you can still get it close with a straight-forward shot and get your par.

If you are hitting 5-6 iron into this green it is either a long par four or a shorter par five. In the latter case you have a good chance at birdie easy par from the front.

> @smashdn said:

> Miss short. Whether you are in the fairway/apron or the front right bunker you can still get it close with a straight-forward shot and get your par.

> If you are hitting 5-6 iron into this green it is either a long par four or a shorter par five. In the latter case you have a good chance at birdie easy par from the front.

Lets assume an average gap between 5 and 6, 13 yards. That could place the pin 10 yards away from 6 iron distance. More likely to miss the green and then have a 10 yard plus shot from a bunker. 3 yards away from 5 iron distance, I would rather take the 9ft putt downhill than the 30 footer uphill.

Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

> @iteachgolf said:

> Flags in center of the green horizontally and within a few yards of 5 iron carry into a green that’s sloped back to front. You go right at it and take a little off a 5 iron.

LIke your confident!

> @trilerian said:

> I would grip down on my 5i, and hit a draw. You don't want to be long, but with a 6i my miss would be in the right bunker. I think with that hole location, my 5i miss is towards the upper right of the green.

> Obviously a straight shot would be the best bet here, but I think I forgot how to do that...

> @crapula said:

> 5 iron, take some off, fade away from hole to the right. Over fade and miss green past right bunker.

> @Shilgy said:

> How would I play it or how I would like to play it? Two different things currently. I would like to take a hair off with the five-likely play just a bit of a cut. I would probably double cross myself into the left bunker. :( Aaah, the power of positive thinking. :)

like general comments on how you want to control longer carry instead hitting dart with shorter carry. knowing your miss is key I guess

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @crapula said:

> > 5 iron, take some off, fade away from hole to the right. Over fade and miss green past right bunker.

>

> This is what I'm thinking without any additional information.

>

> Is it a SEVERE slope? If so, maybe the 6. Is the up & down from pin high really difficult?

>

> The 6 iron looks like you're putting more trouble into play.

>

> More interesting shot with that front pin.

let's say it is severe enough you won't be able to stop ball with decent chip from back. except a good flop shot.

I think it depends on your confident on your longer iron dispersion. I would still be comfortable to send it long or way short before bunker to avoid any bunker shots period.

> @smashdn said:

> Miss short. Whether you are in the fairway/apron or the front right bunker you can still get it close with a straight-forward shot and get your par.

> If you are hitting 5-6 iron into this green it is either a long par four or a shorter par five. In the latter case you have a good chance at birdie easy par from the front.

So if I hit the 6, I have bunkers on both sides, and its a "narrow neck". If I hit 5, my normal distance would be just past the pin, and there's no bunker to the right. My general shape is a draw, I'd probably hit 5 at the right edge, hoping to land 6 or 8 feet right of the pin. That all gives me the best chance of being on the green somewhere, along with the least chance of being in a bunker. Since my normal 5 looks to be only 2 or 3 paces past the flag, I'd take a normal full swing, maybe grip down a half-inch to take a couple yards out, but I'm not easing off.

Think I'm going right at it too with a soft 5. Could go nuclear with the 6 depending on how receptive the green in(read as don't do it if the ball will come screaming backwards) also as my miss would probably be in the right bunker.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Easy one for me to decide. Normal shot is a baby fade so a 5 iron & aim at or slightly left of the pin since wind is not a factor. My miss will be the right side of the green & far enough that I am past the trap. If thinking a full swing on the 5 might not work, I would stop my back swing at 11 o'clock. My back swing is close to a slow tempo....better ball control plus no real loss in distance. So hope to have a birdie putt, or at worst a chip to the hole.

Manage your miss?

How many times have you gone through the back of a green? Versus coming up short?

5i to right center of green. No deep trap on right side.

More complicated answer? 6i high draw aim for right side of green, bc str8 or short is probably still more playable than a cut from the left, but I think anything but option 1 is a bad idea unless you're just sticking it in there every time.

What is this .. a par 3, 4 or 5?

Is the green also sloped L to R or R to L?

Any tiers in the green?

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @crapula said:

> > @smashdn said:

> > Miss short. Whether you are in the fairway/apron or the front right bunker you can still get it close with a straight-forward shot and get your par.

> > If you are hitting 5-6 iron into this green it is either a long par four or a shorter par five. In the latter case you have a good chance at birdie easy par from the front.

>

> Lets assume an average gap between 5 and 6, 13 yards. That could place the pin 10 yards away from 6 iron distance. More likely to miss the green and then have a 10 yard plus shot from a bunker. 3 yards away from 5 iron distance, I would rather take the 9ft putt downhill than the 30 footer uphill.

I should have been clearer. Go at the flag with the longer club BUT if you are going to miss, miss short. A miss short is not dead. A miss over the back potentially is given the details the OP has provided.

You might could bump and run a chip into the back slope and snuggle it close if you go long but that ain't a play I can count on with my game.

> @smashdn said:

> > @crapula said:

> > > @smashdn said:

> > > Miss short. Whether you are in the fairway/apron or the front right bunker you can still get it close with a straight-forward shot and get your par.

> > > If you are hitting 5-6 iron into this green it is either a long par four or a shorter par five. In the latter case you have a good chance at birdie easy par from the front.

> >

> > Lets assume an average gap between 5 and 6, 13 yards. That could place the pin 10 yards away from 6 iron distance. More likely to miss the green and then have a 10 yard plus shot from a bunker. 3 yards away from 5 iron distance, I would rather take the 9ft putt downhill than the 30 footer uphill.

>

> I should have been clearer. Go at the flag with the longer club BUT if you are going to miss, miss short. A miss short is not dead. A miss over the back potentially is given the details the OP has provided.

>

> You might could bump and run a chip into the back slope and snuggle it close if you go long but that ain't a play I can count on with my game.

If you miss the green short with the 5 I wouldn't call that strategy, I'd call that a miss hit. That's a club and a half short. If that is your strategy you might as well hit a 7.

Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

Let's face it, most of us probably have no business thinking complex about this. Also most people don't hit the ball as long as we think. Plus hitting a softer shot is easier than hitting a harder shot, again for most of us. If you truly hit your 5i the distance marked I would just choke up and go for the middle of the green, right to left. But it depends on your ball flight. The majority of golfers should take the back distance, because we aren't going to hit it perfectly and will likely end up short and go for the middle of the green.

All of this depends on if you are a regular rec golfer or a mid handicap golfer or better that can actually hit your mark and move the ball.

> @crapula said:

> If you miss the green short with the 5 I wouldn't call that strategy, I'd call that a miss hit. That's a club and a half short. If that is your strategy you might as well hit a 7.

No kidding. The strategy is jar the damn thing.

In reality my plan would be to grip down 1/2" on the 5i and hit a 2-3 yard cut that rides the 5-6 mph slightly quartering towards wind from the right.

**But** since someone already went, "hit it on and sink the birdie and collect $200," I just pointed out that whatever play you choose, the best place to miss (IMMHHO) is short and gave reasons as to why. Clearly missing the green is not a strategy anybody is taking on here because every wrx'er is a plus. In real life I am like a 16 (gasp) so where I can miss and not take an X is something I take into account. I have gotten real good at sizing up a hole to figure out where I can not wreck my scorecard despite my shoddy abilities.

If you can hit it, choke down 6 with a draw over the right bunkers. Good shot hits the green in front of the flag, missed shot should be either in the bunker or behind them so that you have room to chip up in the area behind the flag and let it roll down. If you are a fade guy and confident of your bunker play you can still use the 6 in this fashion but at the left bunkers and a missed shot will be out of the bunker. At least that is my thinking...lol.

Play your stock shot with a 6 iron and maybe try to give it a little more to get to the middle of the green. Middle of the green is the play. Stock shot shape is the play. You are hitting a 6 iron, don't try to do too much. Getting on the green while taking out the possibility of getting short sided is what you want to do here.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @Timbo929 said:

> > shoot short, aim at the neck, and chase the up and down.

>

> Purposely come up short on a flag in the back of the green??

At first glance of OP's post:

kzrrs23cq062.png

I thought, par 3.

Pins at 177(my 6 iron: 170 to 180) with a cart path on the right side that wraps around the back and shoots left to the next hole(I have this exact par 3 on my course) .

My miss is a over draw/ hook, so for this hole I normally try to send it slightly short of the green with my target line aimed at the left edge of the right bunker.

1st shot lands at the neck in front of the green or my miss (as of now) should put me slightly in front of left bunker, 2nd shot easy up hill chip on with a 56*, 3rd easy up hill putt for par.

this is the hole where if I land in the sand 2/3 is a bogey or worst, but if I chip on 1/2 is a par/ bogey on a normal day. I play early AM first light, the sand is always wet and sometimes muddy(if it rains) so my bunker game is not reliable, but chip/ pitch is my thing :)