Scotty Cameron with or without insert?

upsups Members Posts: 154 ✭✭

Just curious as to anyone’s preference regarding an insert in Cameron putters and what you like and don’t like.

Comments

• GolfdoctorGolfdoctor Members Posts: 1,408 ✭✭

I didn't like the feel of the aluminum thin insert at all, it just didn't have that soft feel. Now, I do have to say I do like the New Phantom X putters with the thicker aluminum face, very soft. I think next year when Scotty comes out with the new blades, they will have a thicker aluminum face. A few years back Scotty made a all aluminum mallet called the Futura X with four weights, one in each corner. This putter was so soft feeling that people thought at first it was carbon steel. I have a Newport 2 Mid Slant Stainless Steel model which I really enjoy using, but I did like the feel of the New Phantom X better.

• deep18deep18 Members Posts: 1,926 ✭✭

I like his non insert putters better for the most part. I did like the first gen Red X with the GSS inserts however and of course anything with the TEi3.

• KaTooMKaTooM Members Posts: 1,412 ✭✭
    edited Apr 14, 2019 3:12pm #4

Never been a fan of the newer ones. However, absolutely love the TeI3 inserts.

Post edited by KaTooM on
  • titleistforgedtitleistforged golf is still fun right SF Bay AreaMembers Posts: 172 ✭✭

I had a Studio Style with the GSS insert and just felt that the feel was poor. I know people on here herald it, but it wasn't for me. I then had the 2014 Newport, but sold it. The fully milled face is just much better imo. My current Scotty is the Duval, which also has no insert. It's just the way to go for me.

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9* | Graphite Design MAD 65 S
    TaylorMade M4 15* | Graphite Design YS-7 NanoReloaded S
    TaylorMade GAPR HI 18* | Graphite Design YS-Hybrid NanoReloaded 85 S
    TaylorMade P760 4-PW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 120 S300
    Callaway MD4 50*, MD Forged 56*, PM Grind 60*
    Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 #3

taylormadeforged
  • MattMoMattMo Members Posts: 2,380 ✭✭

Doesn’t an insert take away the solid feel of a milled putter? Isn’t the solid feel most of the draw!? I’ve always thought so, with the exception of the TeI3.

Ping G400 Max 10.5* w/ Rogue Black
    Ping G25 4W w/ TFC
    Ping G25 20* Hybrid w/ TFC
    Ping ie1 4-U w/ CFS
    Ping Glide 54* WS
    Ping Glide Stealth 58* ES
    Ping BeNi Scottsdale Anser
  • DivinDaveDivinDave Longview TexasMembers Posts: 550 ✭✭
    edited Apr 14, 2019 3:49am #7

I dont like the insert. The insert to me feels like the ball is a softer off the face and I cant tell how hard to hit the ball and have any consistency. The milled face are more my style and feel.

Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most
  • jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJClubWRX Posts: 4,781 ClubWRX

TeI3 insert - definitely yes! (Including button back)
    All other inserts - no.

M4 10.5°  Fujikura Ventus 6
    M5 15°  Fujikura Pro73
    790UDI  PX Catalyst 80 -or- 818H2 19°  HZRDUS Red 85
    0311T 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon 950GH 
    SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
    SM7 62M  KBS Tour
    custom putter
    Tour B XS

(¬¬) WITB Link
  • Drew9281Drew9281 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited Apr 14, 2019 1:57pm #9

Non- inserts just feel better. I have 10 Scotty’s all non inserts.

Taylormade M5 9*
    Taylormade M5 14* (rocket)
    Mizuno CLK 19* & 22*
    Mizuno JPX 900F 5-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50* 54* 58*
    Scotty Cameron (rotation)
  • oneaugustaoneaugusta Members Posts: 3,038 ✭✭

Non Insert for sure, 100% milled, with the exception of the TEI3 insert, especially the 1st gen. ones are great feeling.

Titleist 917 D2 GOGO 5 6S
    TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
    Miura CB57's Nippon Modus 120
    Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125
    David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
    David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
    David Mills GS Ming V3 flow neck
    Byron Rincon DH89
  • dhartmann34dhartmann34 Members Posts: 690 ✭✭

Not a fan of the inserts whatsoever. That's why I'll keep my Newport 2 Pro Platinum in my bag for another 20 years!

• bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,258 ClubWRX

The inserts are horrible. Even his tour pros won’t use them... except for the mallets because they don’t have an option in those.

Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-pw
    Mizuno T7 50/55/60 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • MalcontentMalcontent Members Posts: 7 ✭✭

The only Scotty insert I've liked is the Tel3 on my button back Newport. I wasn't that crazy about the GSS one in the Studio Style line, and I definitely don't like the current ones.

• Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,372 ✭✭

The softest Cameron he’s owned was a studio design 2.5? The flow neck one. Lovely Carbon steel, very very light milling.
    But now he uses a Newport longneck tei3 for the quasi face balance and it’s better for lag putting for JP.

Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    Srixon ZTX 5-PW 
    Epon 210KXG 52* 56*
    Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport Longneck
  • JDW3JDW3 Members Posts: 625 ✭✭

I prefer no insert. The fully milled face feels better to me.

Driver: Titleist TS2
    3 wood: Titleist TS2
    Hybrid: Titleist 818 19* & 22*
    Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 16
    Wedges: Vokey sm7 50*, 54*, 60*
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Ball: Titleist Prov 1x
  • dags27dags27 Members Posts: 888 ✭✭

Non insert, it feels solid to me and love feel. I tried the insert scotty and did not care for it.

• Jaygolf37Jaygolf37 All Go. No Quit. Members Posts: 654 ✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 4:47am #17

I don’t mind being the odd one here. I love the insert in both my Fastback & my 5.5m. They are responsive, have good acoustics, and look good. Each to their own, however!

Cobra LTD Black w/ Rogue
    Cobra BioCell 3W w/ Aldila Tour Green ATX65
    Cobra F9 Speedback 3 Hybrid w/ Atmos
    Nike VPC’s w/ DG Pro’s
    Callaway Raw Jaws Wedges
    Taylormade Spider X or TP Collection Soto
    ...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...
  • joakimpekkarijoakimpekkari Barsebäck G&CC, SwedenMembers Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited Apr 17, 2019 9:25am #18

Love the feel of the insert in my Studio Style Newport 2. Seeing the outline from above helps me find the center of the face more consistently as well.

WITB
    Titleist 917D2 9,5 - MSI Rogue Black 70 S-Flex tipped .5", C1 fade
    Titleist 915fD 13,5 - Diamana Whiteboard X-Flex, A2
    TaylorMade M1 hybrid 19 - Kuro Kage Tini X-Flex, -2 draw
    Srixon Z 585 4i, Z785 5i, Z Forged 6i-Pw - Nippon 130X
    Cleveland RTX-4 50, 54, 58 Raw Mid bounce - Nippon 130X
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 2006 - Super Stroke Pistol GTR Tour
    Vice Pro Soft

• towncryertowncryer Members Posts: 420 ✭✭

No inserts. Ever.
    I don't think Scotty has put out a production putter that has felt/sound GREAT since the first California line...light milling on stainless is perfect. Deep milling is muddy/muted. Inserts feel/sound dead to me.

G400 10.5 w/ Tour 65x
    915 2h Diamana D+
    PING iBlade 3-5 DGS400
    PING Blueprint 6-PW DGS400
    SM7 51, 56, 60 in Tour Chrome, DG S200
    Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
    Vice Pro Plus LIME!!!!
  • RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Members Posts: 2,456 ✭✭

Non Insert old Scotty. Astounding the overall opinion here rejects the New. TEI3 will always be a much loved putter!

2019 May

Ping [email protected] 10.5
    Tee 16.5
    Tm V Steel @ 18

Mizuno MP 63 DGR300 at D4

Vokey SM5 50 08 F Old SM at 54 and SM6 58S 10

Titleist Scotty Mid Slant Pro Platinum at 34 and a Half!

• scottc25scottc25 Members Posts: 638 ✭✭

I'm a rare bird that likes the current insert. Hopefully that means cheaper prices on the BST forum too. Will be interested to see what they do next year.

• tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,307 ✭✭

ive had both and without the insert is a much more "real" feel which I think is important when putting . Not to say the insert is bad, but I think as you remain in the club making game for many years, you have to find "gimmicks" and pass them off as "technology" so you can keep selling units.....the insert is fine, but it feels a little "dead" to me. in fact I'm having trouble selling a mint 2016 Newport 2 for a decent price because of the insert

• NJGolfer0624NJGolfer0624 Members Posts: 163 ✭✭

Without PLEASE!!!!
    Still like my 2014 Select Newport 2

• NJGolfer0624NJGolfer0624 Members Posts: 163 ✭✭

@towncryer said:
    No inserts. Ever.
    I don't think Scotty has put out a production putter that has felt/sound GREAT since the first California line...light milling on stainless is perfect. Deep milling is muddy/muted. Inserts feel/sound dead to me.

The 2012/14 line has great feel.

• towncryertowncryer Members Posts: 420 ✭✭

@NJGolfer0624 said:

@towncryer said:
    No inserts. Ever.

The 2012/14 line has great feel.

I stand by it...muddy/muted sound and feel on deep milled putters. If you're into soft sound/feel, 2012/14 are awesome...and they're great looking putters, to boot! But, for me...I like the firmer responds from light milling on stainless or carbon.

G400 10.5 w/ Tour 65x
    915 2h Diamana D+
    PING iBlade 3-5 DGS400
    PING Blueprint 6-PW DGS400
    SM7 51, 56, 60 in Tour Chrome, DG S200
    Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
    Vice Pro Plus LIME!!!!
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Spend 4+ Hours With Him on a Golf Course⛳️ The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,718 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 21, 2019 3:04pm #26

Non-Insert~

Though I’ve gotta bunch, including a few T’s/customs with both insert and w/out, this is my All-Timer, one of 99 produced.

The feel is sublime

Cheers🍻
    RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • Chip2winChip2win Members Posts: 19 ✭✭

I'm an insert hater too. However, it seems like that's all Scotty offers. Is it possible to buy a new scotty Newport 2 without the insert (without being a tour pro)?

• PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics... Members Posts: 6,419 ✭✭

Mine has a deeper pocket and is almost fly-milled, so it has a nice click at impact. I like the feedback.

Ping G410+ 9* w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 (X)
    Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
    Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox
  • ratdg1ratdg1 Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2019 1:26am #29

I've only tried the GSS inserts and the current Select models, but I can't tell any difference, tbh.
    What's weird is that the putters I like the least are the California honey dip. They feel too springy. Almost like a trampoline or something. Not sure why that'd be the case.

Ping G410 9*
    Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
    Ping i210 4-U
    Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
    Bettinardi BB0
    Srixon Q-Star Tour
    Ping Hoofer

• tbrumbeloe13tbrumbeloe13 GeorgiaMembers Posts: 706 ✭✭

I feel like I agree with most of the others on here. I'm not a huge fan of the inserts. I hit a couple today in the store for fun, and when I hit it in the middle, it felt very soft, almost too soft to where judging speed could be an issue. I've always preferred the milled face, just because the feel is more consistent all the way across the face.

• tbrumbeloe13tbrumbeloe13 GeorgiaMembers Posts: 706 ✭✭

@Chip2win said:
    I'm an insert hater too. However, it seems like that's all Scotty offers. Is it possible to buy a new scotty Newport 2 without the insert (without being a tour pro)?

Doesn't seem like it. Only options seem to be to find one on ebay or buy one from the SC Gallery for a ridiculous price. I really thought he would've put out some milled putters this last range, hopefully the next time around.