SuperSpeed Golf training system

I confirm your stupidity haha. On the intro protocol, I do swing the green at the end more than Superspeed says.

> @farandsure said:

> I have not seen any gains over 6 weeks doing the introduction protocol and I think I know why. I think I've been overdoing it. I've been doing 3 sets of each. 3 swings green stick right handed, 3 swings green stick left handed , same with blue then red. Then I do the same thing again. Then again. Then I start on the step swings and do the same. From what I've read on this your only supposed to go through it once then switch to the step swings. By the time I get done the way I'm doing it I feel like I've ran a marathon. Someone please confirm my stupidity.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

> @Jesh said:

> Can anyone post a good video of where to position the SSR for reading swing speed with the sticks or with a ball?

Put it in the same spot you'd place a golf ball, then back up an inch so you don't swing the stick in to it. For me, it's just an inch or two inside my lead foot. Either way, as long as you always place it in the same spot each training session, you can have good relative comparisons, whether the actual number is high, low or perfect.

Thought I would post an update after doing SSG consistently through the winter, finally got back to the course, irons and wedges are about half a club to a full club longer, driver seemed longer but it was tough to tell for sure as this was a course I had never played before. Pretty happy with the gains, and my control also seemed better then expected for the first round of the year.

Just started the super speed program and after 3 sessions I am up about 13-15% with each stick. Does anyone have any recommendations on swing thoughts, feelings, or things to focus on that helped increase speed significantly? For me it was making sure I made a full turn before initiating the down swing, but I was wondering if I am missing anything else that could help

2hc2xzwn7px6.png

Here is a screenshot with my first 14 seasons of standing green, blue, and green swings. Some days it definitely doesn't feel like you can swing that fast and today I came out of the gates quick (for me). Overall Im trying to forget about good/bad days and am focusing on keeping my horizontal trend line moving on a positive slope.

> @Toolish said:

> I like the idea of overspeed training and I am thinking of making my own sticks, what are the lengths and weights?

> Also is the full protocol available online?

Full protocol is online for free. I can get you the weights and lengths later tonight however I believe they are already posted in this thread.

Feel like I have some serious issues lining up the SSR on this. Tonight, one swing (green stick) was 129 and the next 115. I know - feel is not real - but 14 mph from 2 swings that felt about the same just doesn't seem legit. I do tend to line up with the SSR at sort of an angle as the space as I have is a little restricted, but still....10% swing to swing? Whenever I use it on the range it seems to want to pick up the ball AND the club and average them out (guessing) and I'll get like 145 one swing and 113 the next.

> @knockdstiff said:

> Feel like I have some serious issues lining up the SSR on this. Tonight, one swing (green stick) was 129 and the next 115. I know - feel is not real - but 14 mph from 2 swings that felt about the same just doesn't seem legit. I do tend to line up with the SSR at sort of an angle as the space as I have is a little restricted, but still....10% swing to swing? Whenever I use it on the range it seems to want to pick up the ball AND the club and average them out (guessing) and I'll get like 145 one swing and 113 the next.

It is a $100 machine so it won't be perfect. When graphing my numbers I throw out any outliers such as those that you mentioned. Normally I won't graph a number unless it is less then a 5% variation from the other two. Anything more and I will consider it a misread and throw it out and swing again.

> @Jokes said:

> > @knockdstiff said:

> > Feel like I have some serious issues lining up the SSR on this. Tonight, one swing (green stick) was 129 and the next 115. I know - feel is not real - but 14 mph from 2 swings that felt about the same just doesn't seem legit. I do tend to line up with the SSR at sort of an angle as the space as I have is a little restricted, but still....10% swing to swing? Whenever I use it on the range it seems to want to pick up the ball AND the club and average them out (guessing) and I'll get like 145 one swing and 113 the next.

> It is a $100 machine so it won't be perfect. When graphing my numbers I throw out any outliers such as those that you mentioned. Normally I won't graph a number unless it is less then a 5% variation from the other two. Anything more and I will consider it a misread and throw it out and swing again.

True - what really weirds me out is it's supposed to shut off on its own (and usually does) but sometimes I'll finish and walk away only to come back and see it's still on and there's some crazy reading on it like 193. Beginning to think I've just got a glitchy one or it took a couple bumps rattling around in the trunk and the calibration is all wacky now

This is a harder workout Than people think. I agree with using the foam roller and no more than 3 times a week. Maybe it is a combination of weight training and this but my lats and ribs are tight as hell, be careful not to pull something doing this. doing this and the orange whip , my backswing is a little longer and I turn much better thru the ball.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

For those of you on the fence about either starting or continuing with SuperSpeed, here is my experience, 5 months in. I'm almost 67 yrs old, and have always been of average length for my index, but never really "long". FWIW, I would rate my fitness level, both for golf and overall as relatively high; I play or practice 4x/week, and work out on the days I don't play, plus a VERY careful and intentional yoga/stretching program every morning that was designed for me by a professional in the field.

1. I've followed the program carefully, using it either two or three times per week, almost always AFTER I've been to the gym.

2. I do a VERY careful warmup routine; 20 stretches with the MISG device, 10 swings each way with a medicine ball, 20 swings each way with a weighted driver.

3. Possibly my only real departures from the program's instructions is that I try to make good versions of MY swing on each swing. I go as hard as I can, but I pay strict attention to form as well. On the left-handed swings, I swing hard, but I am very careful not to overdo this part; I suspect that I would be far more injury-prone from these swings, and I think the flexibility piece is the important part of those swings anyway, rather than the speed itself. It may be a personal bias, but it makes no sense whatsoever to me to make a bad swing fast; I just don't see where the carryover would come from.

4. I do NOT use the radar at all until the last 5 swings, and I record the fastest of those five after each session. I have gained consistency in the speed of those swings more than I've gained fastest MPH, but I have picked up 5 mph or so on the max.

5. On course results have been REALLY good and rewarding and reinforcing; I'm a full club longer on irons, with no loss of accuracy or feeling of effort, and my driver carry distance is up 10 yards or so. One of my opponents in a senior interclub match this past week repeatedly said, "Wow; you're sneaky long!", which I considered to be validation of SSG more than a compliment; same swing, more length.

6. As other have mentioned, it is a GREAT workout, swing speed aside. Not including warmup swings, you are making somewhere north of 100 swings at more than full speed; this is invaluable work, IMO.

• Like 3

> @knockdstiff said:

> > @Jokes said:

> > > @knockdstiff said:

> > > Feel like I have some serious issues lining up the SSR on this. Tonight, one swing (green stick) was 129 and the next 115. I know - feel is not real - but 14 mph from 2 swings that felt about the same just doesn't seem legit. I do tend to line up with the SSR at sort of an angle as the space as I have is a little restricted, but still....10% swing to swing? Whenever I use it on the range it seems to want to pick up the ball AND the club and average them out (guessing) and I'll get like 145 one swing and 113 the next.

> > It is a $100 machine so it won't be perfect. When graphing my numbers I throw out any outliers such as those that you mentioned. Normally I won't graph a number unless it is less then a 5% variation from the other two. Anything more and I will consider it a misread and throw it out and swing again.

>

> True - what really weirds me out is it's supposed to shut off on its own (and usually does) but sometimes I'll finish and walk away only to come back and see it's still on and there's some crazy reading on it like 193. Beginning to think I've just got a glitchy one or it took a couple bumps rattling around in the trunk and the calibration is all wacky now

My SSR does that at times. I think certain types of radiation can set it off. I have turned it on before and had it displaying numbers every few seconds. Could be interference from some signal nearby, who knows. Mine has not done it all winter but summer is when it seems to happen. I have another completely different radar unit for measuring baseball speed. It wigs out in the same way on the same days my SSR does.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

A little update on my progress with my home made club and alternate speed training method (mostly wailing on drivers in my sim bay). It was so cold this winter my heaters were unable most days to heat my garage adequately to play or swing without risk of injury from muscles being so stiff. I have lost what looks like 5-10 mph. Was swinging my red stick equivalent 130-135, and now I am consistently 120-125. Hoping warmer weather comes soon and I can get back on track. I want 130 with my driver and good contact this summer for when the opportunity presents itself.

> @Jokes said:

> > @knockdstiff said:

> > Feel like I have some serious issues lining up the SSR on this. Tonight, one swing (green stick) was 129 and the next 115. I know - feel is not real - but 14 mph from 2 swings that felt about the same just doesn't seem legit. I do tend to line up with the SSR at sort of an angle as the space as I have is a little restricted, but still....10% swing to swing? Whenever I use it on the range it seems to want to pick up the ball AND the club and average them out (guessing) and I'll get like 145 one swing and 113 the next.

> It is a $100 machine so it won't be perfect. When graphing my numbers I throw out any outliers such as those that you mentioned. Normally I won't graph a number unless it is less then a 5% variation from the other two. Anything more and I will consider it a misread and throw it out and swing again.

Some of this is just low point changing. You may actually be swinging 129, and the 115 is wrong. Its tough to say. I go back and forth trying to determine if I am tricking mine when I get 130s with the heavy club, but seeing how my ball speed compares when I get a hold of one with my driver, the speeds actually make sense. I am currently 120-125 with my heavy stick, and mathematically, it should be very similar to my actual driver speed given its mass moment of inertia. I get ball speeds 180+ with my driver when tagging them well, so that tells me the 130s I got before winter when I was a little stronger are very likely legit.

> @Jokes said:

> What have you found on low point and it’s affect on Radar readings? @clevited

Perhaps low point isn't the best description. Lets call it your peak speed point (low point and peak speed aren't always one and the same but you would ideally want them to be close to the same). If your peak speed isn't occurring where the radar is, you could see lower numbers than you are capable of. My thought is, it is possible that is what is happening to you. Make sure the radar is in the location where your ball would be when swinging a driver if you don't already. Some people don't pay attention to that when swinging these SSR clubs.

With that, there definitely can be some anomalies displayed on the radar but they are usually very obvious. Like if it says 180+ and all you did was swing a stick, either its on KPH, or there is some signal nearby that is messing with it. If you swing 115, 115, 113, 114, 114, 138, that 138 is probably an anomaly unless you feel that swing felt different AND you can repeat it more than once in a row.

Edit: Just to add an example of my own. I often swing my heavy ssg club in the 120-125 range but if I really go after it and time everything just right, I was able to get 130-135, even had a few 138s. Now the 120-125 is legit as fast as reliable speed, but the 130s+ were probably everything I got if I get everything right with my swing mechanics.

OK, I try not to post much on these forums because I want to avoid getting into arguments, but I feel I need to post about my experience with SuperSpeed training. I'm 64 years old and have been playing this game for fifty years. Ten years ago I got fitted for driver at a Club Champion location. At that time my driver swing speed was 108mph. Fast forward to two months ago when the pro at our local course brought out his launch monitor to the range for players to check their launch numbers. The best, THE BEST, I could get was 97mph. I was demoralized. I accept the fact I've gotten older but I've been very athletic throughout my life and I have a good game. At one point I was a 1.5 hdcp (currently now 6). So it was hard to accept my swing was getting slower. So, I figured why not give SSG a try.

For two months I have used a modified version of protocol 1. I tried swinging left handed (I'm right handed) but I strained a forearm muscle doing so. I just employ right hand swings. I tried to use my normal swing in doing so but I tried to not swing out of my shoes. Also, I did not use a swing speed radar. I tried to listened to where I was making the club make that whoosh sound.

OK, today the launch monitor was back on the range. After warming up I hit three drives. The results were 104, 104, and 103. Smash factor 1.47. Same monitor, same balls, same driver. 7mph increase in two months for an older guy. I'll take that and I'll continue to use them.

• Like 3

> @tradekid said:

> OK, I try not to post much on these forums because I want to avoid getting into arguments, but I feel I need to post about my experience with SuperSpeed training. I'm 64 years old and have been playing this game for fifty years. Ten years ago I got fitted for driver at a Club Champion location. At that time my driver swing speed was 108mph. Fast forward to two months ago when the pro at our local course brought out his launch monitor to the range for players to check their launch numbers. The best, THE BEST, I could get was 97mph. I was demoralized. I accept the fact I've gotten older but I've been very athletic throughout my life and I have a good game. At one point I was a 1.5 hdcp (currently now 6). So it was hard to accept my swing was getting slower. So, I figured why not give SSG a try.

>

> For two months I have used a modified version of protocol 1. I tried swinging left handed (I'm right handed) but I strained a forearm muscle doing so. I just employ right hand swings. I tried to use my normal swing in doing so but I tried to not swing out of my shoes. Also, I did not use a swing speed radar. I tried to listened to where I was making the club make that whoosh sound.

>

> OK, today the launch monitor was back on the range. After warming up I hit three drives. The results were 104, 104, and 103. Smash factor 1.47. Same monitor, same balls, same driver. 7mph increase in two months for an older guy. I'll take that and I'll continue to use them.

>

Congrats on the results! If you read my post about 5 posts back from your, my experience is very similar in every respect. Like you, I suspect that the left-handed swings are where I'm most likely to get hurt, simply because my body isn't conditioned for that. And like you, I've gotten good results on the golf course.

The age thing is so insidious if you've always been an athlete. I did a driver fitting in 2010 at age 58; when I did my next one in 2014 at age 62, my FASTEST swing speeds were roughly the same as my slowest ones from just 4 years earlier. It was disheartening for awhile, but then I got to work; better workouts, very intentional stretching program, swinging weighted club every morning, etc. I've been able to hold the line since then, but it doesn't come without work. The good news is that I'm longer relative to my age group than I've ever been, and I REALLY enjoy that.

Hello, I'm gearing up to try this overswing method out. I have researched it quite a bit and am really looking forward to trying it out. I just picked up the SSR and am aware of the 5-10% decrease, but it's saying my driver club head speed maxes out at 82 mph. I typically carry 240ish and drive between 265-285. Years back in the simulator I remember my club head being in the low 100s. Is this common with the SSR? Should I be sending it back? I understand it's only used to track progress, but it just seems really off. Any input would be appreciated.

> @bluedot said:

> 3. Possibly my only real departures from the program's instructions is that I try to make good versions of MY swing on each swing. I go as hard as I can, but I pay strict attention to form as well. On the left-handed swings, I swing hard, but I am very careful not to overdo this part; I suspect that I would be far more injury-prone from these swings, and I think the flexibility piece is the important part of those swings anyway, rather than the speed itself. It may be a personal bias, but it makes no sense whatsoever to me to make a bad swing fast; I just don't see where the carryover would come from.

I just purchased a set of superspeed sticks, but have borrowed some in the past to see if they worked for me. I have found that focusing on form actually gets me faster swings anyways.

As for why you want to swing as fast as you can on the non-dominant side, I equate it to towing a big load with a truck. The issue isn't whether the engine can pull the load -- it's whether it can safely stop the load. Sure you CAN tow 50,000lbs behind you on a half-ton pickup rated at only 10k lbs for towing. You could probably even do it without significant wear and tear to the _engine_. But you are going to be VERY cautious getting it up to any sort of reasonable speed because you know that trying to stop that load at speed could be disastrous. Your brain does something similar -- if it knows your muscles can't stop (or decelerate) whatever movement you are making, it will prevent you from moving faster. Swinging non-dominant side trains the muscles you need to decelerate when taking a normal golf swing. Additionally, most injuries occur from deceleration (or stopping). The better you can get your body to decelerate, the better it is at preventing injury.

Yes, when there is a big imbalance between dominant and non-dominant sides, it might be a good idea to be careful on your non-dominant side. Although with the logic mentioned above, you are still more likely to injure yourself swinging as hard as you can from the dominant side. Once I started doing the SuperSpeed protocol, I was kinda surprised and how "good" the non-dominant swings felt from a physical standpoint. The swings were obviously slower and more awkward, but I didn't really feel any concern for injuring myself -- in fact it felt more like a good stretch than anything. It's likely because all of the dominant sided swings I've taken over the years allows me to decelerate really well on a non-dominant swing.

I would at least focus on building yourself up to swinging all-out on the non-dominant side. You can do an extra set on your non-dominant side during your warmup and/or typical exercise routine to try to balance everything out. So for example, you said you do 10 reps with the medicine ball to each side. I would do your first set with the non-dominant side, the second set with the dominant side, and a third set with your non-dominant side again -- a total of 30 reps. You can eliminate or reduce the third set to make the reps/sets more evenly matched between both sides when you feel like things are balancing out.

Your non-dominant side also is less likely to have pre-conceived notions on what a golf swing should be. I have found that my non-dominant side is more receptive to technical changes than my dominant side. So if I am working on a feeling/thought/whatever to speed up my dominant swing, I find that trying to do the same thing on the non-dominant side really helps to expedite the process.

> @tradekid said:

> OK, I try not to post much on these forums because I want to avoid getting into arguments, but I feel I need to post about my experience with SuperSpeed training. I'm 64 years old and have been playing this game for fifty years. Ten years ago I got fitted for driver at a Club Champion location. At that time my driver swing speed was 108mph. Fast forward to two months ago when the pro at our local course brought out his launch monitor to the range for players to check their launch numbers. The best, THE BEST, I could get was 97mph. I was demoralized. I accept the fact I've gotten older but I've been very athletic throughout my life and I have a good game. At one point I was a 1.5 hdcp (currently now 6). So it was hard to accept my swing was getting slower. So, I figured why not give SSG a try.

>

> For two months I have used a modified version of protocol 1. I tried swinging left handed (I'm right handed) but I strained a forearm muscle doing so. I just employ right hand swings. I tried to use my normal swing in doing so but I tried to not swing out of my shoes. Also, I did not use a swing speed radar. I tried to listened to where I was making the club make that whoosh sound.

>

> OK, today the launch monitor was back on the range. After warming up I hit three drives. The results were 104, 104, and 103. Smash factor 1.47. Same monitor, same balls, same driver. 7mph increase in two months for an older guy. I'll take that and I'll continue to use them.

>

Did you think that maybe club champion makes their launch monitor show 10+ MPH to sell more clubs?

> @BB28403 said:

> > @tradekid said:

> > OK, I try not to post much on these forums because I want to avoid getting into arguments, but I feel I need to post about my experience with SuperSpeed training. I'm 64 years old and have been playing this game for fifty years. Ten years ago I got fitted for driver at a Club Champion location. At that time my driver swing speed was 108mph. Fast forward to two months ago when the pro at our local course brought out his launch monitor to the range for players to check their launch numbers. The best, THE BEST, I could get was 97mph. I was demoralized. I accept the fact I've gotten older but I've been very athletic throughout my life and I have a good game. At one point I was a 1.5 hdcp (currently now 6). So it was hard to accept my swing was getting slower. So, I figured why not give SSG a try.

> >

> > For two months I have used a modified version of protocol 1. I tried swinging left handed (I'm right handed) but I strained a forearm muscle doing so. I just employ right hand swings. I tried to use my normal swing in doing so but I tried to not swing out of my shoes. Also, I did not use a swing speed radar. I tried to listened to where I was making the club make that whoosh sound.

> >

> > OK, today the launch monitor was back on the range. After warming up I hit three drives. The results were 104, 104, and 103. Smash factor 1.47. Same monitor, same balls, same driver. 7mph increase in two months for an older guy. I'll take that and I'll continue to use them.

> >

> Did you think that maybe club champion makes their launch monitor show 10+ MPH to sell more clubs?

>

Congratulations, you just proved the point I made in my very first sentence. Enjoy your day.

> @tradekid said:

> > @BB28403 said:

> > > @tradekid said:

> > > OK, I try not to post much on these forums because I want to avoid getting into arguments, but I feel I need to post about my experience with SuperSpeed training. I'm 64 years old and have been playing this game for fifty years. Ten years ago I got fitted for driver at a Club Champion location. At that time my driver swing speed was 108mph. Fast forward to two months ago when the pro at our local course brought out his launch monitor to the range for players to check their launch numbers. The best, THE BEST, I could get was 97mph. I was demoralized. I accept the fact I've gotten older but I've been very athletic throughout my life and I have a good game. At one point I was a 1.5 hdcp (currently now 6). So it was hard to accept my swing was getting slower. So, I figured why not give SSG a try.

> > >

> > > For two months I have used a modified version of protocol 1. I tried swinging left handed (I'm right handed) but I strained a forearm muscle doing so. I just employ right hand swings. I tried to use my normal swing in doing so but I tried to not swing out of my shoes. Also, I did not use a swing speed radar. I tried to listened to where I was making the club make that whoosh sound.

> > >

> > > OK, today the launch monitor was back on the range. After warming up I hit three drives. The results were 104, 104, and 103. Smash factor 1.47. Same monitor, same balls, same driver. 7mph increase in two months for an older guy. I'll take that and I'll continue to use them.

> > >

> > Did you think that maybe club champion makes their launch monitor show 10+ MPH to sell more clubs?

> >

> Congratulations, you just proved the point I made in my very first sentence. Enjoy your day.

>

>

Oh cmon, that's not arguing! You don't even know what arguing is!

Just kidding . If you want to "do forums" the way you say. Just ignore everyone.

This is "overspeed training." Swinging something lighter v a driver to teach the brain what it doesn't know and never experienced... how to go fast. To make lasting progress you should mix in "under-speed" training as well. The VERY BEST is Seeing Chains if they still make them. I went from 108 to 122 plus in 6 months using both. However you train do it in "bursts" i.e. do the chains as fast as possible for 3 sets of 8 seconds each, etc, 3 days a week. Ditto the overspeed club. You need a radar to track progress and be VERY careful if you have ANY pre-existing conditions or injuries ... sore shoulder, back, hips, knees, etc.