Bump and run or fly it to the hole?

jjfcpa

> @PlayfromtheBrain said:

> I've read this somewhere before, and it would be nice to have in this thread, but can someone tell me the general rule of thumb for bump n runs and the distance that each club loft will travel? Seemed like some useful information when I read it, but can't remember where I found it.

This will vary some depending on your loft, but pitching wedge is usually half flight, half roll. 8-iron will fly 1/3, roll 2/3. Sand wedge will fly 2/3, roll 1/3. Lob wedge will fly 3/4, roll 1/4. 6 iron will fly 1/4, roll 3/4.

• Like 1
Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Ping Anser 85029 Dalehead
Srixon Z-Star or Q-Star tour depending on conditions

Depends in part on... turf manicure (shaggy or shorter grass around the greens)... and condition of greens... and the wind.

If greenside rough is shaggy, I'll go with a wedge and loft it in. If the greens are softer or I'm going uphill, I favor a lofted shot - too hard to judge roll on semi-blind shot.

If the greens are harder, or I've got a quartering headwind, I'll go with a bump (or chip) and run.

I played in Myrtle Beach in early April between rainstorms, and the soft bermuda greens gobbled up most attempted chip shots. If I chipped with an 8i and the ball hit the green surface with a little splash, I knew a 20-foot putt was coming.

____

By _bump and run_, I mean a low shot that you bump into a bank or upslope to partially deaden the roll-out. By _chip and run_, I mean a low shot that you drop onto the green itself and let it roll out most of the way.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

Swing path on b&r is also part of it. Outside in or inside out depending on how you want it to release to the hole. Also, some greens/grasses are more influential on the ball in terms of their grain and you can use swing path changes to affect the ball’s release to help offset this. It works for JP. He uses an 8 iron usually though on steeper downhills he’ll use a PW or gap. Lobs with 56/58. Tend to be somewhat more of an outside in path for lobs, like touch sand shots.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Love bump n run and i practice at 22 to 25.metres regularly.Chipped in on sat from 40 metres! I use 8i and 7i.I cant chip with wedges!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I default to pitch and run all things being equal.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X

Ping Blueprint S, 4-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

I don't really like landing the ball before the green. If the pin is very short and fairway in front of it looks flat and hard, I'll do it, but I'd rather try to fly it at least to the beginning of the green. I don't trust my distance control or what the first bounce will do with bump and runs. Heck I don't even like putting from more than a yard off the green either. I don't necessarily fly it all the way to the hole too often if I'm close to the green though, I like a little run out. Haven't used anything less lofted than a 50* for green side chips for as long as I can remember. I do feel pretty confident with my wedges though.

All things equal most teachers will probably tell you odds are better with the bump and run. So, after returning to golf I have made a real effort to become proficient with this shot and reap the benefits of doing it properly. I have practiced a fair amount over the last 12 months and I am giving it about one more week. I use to have a pretty good success rate just throwing everything to the hole with a 58 or 60 degree (played to a 2 or 3HC). I have days now where I have zero touch with the bump and run and can't judge distance at all.

Time to go back to doing it wrong but me and my 58 are going to spend some time together real soon :-)

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I spent my winter practicing bump and runs on my short carpet in basement. Every night practicing three stock shots to get ball to a hole I taped over carpet. I have had 6 chip ins this year from off the green and 2 of them were 20 yards plus. My bogies have turned into pars and my handicap is much lower. Bump in runs are much higher percentage shots and I use them whenever I can.

If you are a really good chipper than bump and run may be higher percentage play. My problem was quitting on the bump and run shot thinking I had too much club in my hands. My short game improved significantly going to more loft, using an aggressive attacking mindset with firm flat Left wrist. Less likely to decelerate, and the short sided shots and ones with less green to work with are less scary if you are more comfortable with loft. I like the attacking mindset that I don't feel I get with the bump and run., You need to master the technique of flying it to the hole as there are many situations where this is necessary.

Definitely a lot of variables that come into play for me. If its a bump and run I use my 52 degree and if its a flop I use my 60/64 and open it up to get it up quick and stop quick.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS- GD DI 7TX

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3W- GD DI 8TX

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 2HY- GD DI 105X

TaylorMade P770 3i MMT 125TX

TaylorMade P7MB- 4-PW MMT 125TX

TaylorMade MG4 54/60- MMT 125 TX

L.A.B. Mezz 1

> I've read this somewhere before, and it would be nice to have in this thread, but can someone tell me the general rule of thumb for bump n runs and the distance that each club loft will travel? Seemed like some useful information when I read it, but can't remember where I found it.

It would be "Rule of 11" or "Rule of 12" (depending on how jacked your iron lofts are). You can also Google "Paul Runyan chipping" and get similar finds.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Unless I have to go over something 50 yards and in I am bump and run

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I like to think in terms of what flight and roll produces the most consistent result. An old coach taught us as juniors to take 3-5 balls and underarm them to the target from different areas around the green. This was a great lesson as you quickly found the right trajectory and roll for any given situation, we were then told to try to reproduce it with the right loft. You have to adjust a bit for the lie, speed, firmness and slope of the greens but to this day I see all shots around the green as an underarm throw first.

Whatever works.

"Rule of 12", which will vary with your specific technique, lie, and course/greens conditions. Take how far you need to carry it in the air to land it just on the green (that's one part), take how many "parts" it needs to run out (say, that distance 4 more times), subtract from 12. In this example, 8 iron. 6 iron will roll about 6 times as far as it flies, and so on.

I'm closer to the "rule of 13" when I'm bumping it, primarily because I spent a long time "chipping" with one club (58/60*). I tend to carry bumps a bit too far so I take one less club.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I know bump and run is the right play, but it's hard for me to control the distance with it. Also flying it means don't need to read the green as much. I just choke down and do a lofted bump and run. Bump and run with PW, 9 iron, 8 iron etc those just run super far for me. If I slow it down I tend to chunk it and who wants that. And for short shots I prefer and slow and longer swing rather than short stabby. Not sure. Maybe I just haven't figured out the bump and run yet.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

> @DFinch said:

> > @PlayfromtheBrain said:

> > I've read this somewhere before, and it would be nice to have in this thread, but can someone tell me the general rule of thumb for bump n runs and the distance that each club loft will travel? Seemed like some useful information when I read it, but can't remember where I found it.

>

> "Rule of 12", which will vary with your specific technique, lie, and course/greens conditions. Take how far you need to carry it in the air to land it just on the green (that's one part), take how many "parts" it needs to run out (say, that distance 4 more times), subtract from 12. In this example, 8 iron. 6 iron will roll about 6 times as far as it flies, and so on.

> I'm closer to the "rule of 13" when I'm bumping it, primarily because I spent a long time "chipping" with one club (58/60*). I tend to carry bumps a bit too far so I take one less club.

>

I never heard of this before, but it sounds brilliant ! I always heard the such and such club will roll out a certain percentage but I could never remember what was what like I can't now. But this I can remember and will try it next time the conditions are conducive to a bump and run. Thank you !

When I was younger, I hit almost every pitch shot, which means more than a yard or so off the green, with a sand wedge. Later it was a 60 degree lob wedge. But after moving from the north where I played on lush grass, that is not the best play for me, too many chunks and thinned shots off of tight lies and thin Bermuda. I need to practice it a fair amount, but once I get the feel down for the bump and run I am more consistent. But if I don't practice at it I am not very good with the distance control. I think I fall back at looking at the hole, and always hit them too hard. My practice routine is learning to carry the ball to a spot, I really need to focus on the landing area, and then just trust the run out from there. Also, I want to focus on not hitting down on the ball to much, just let the bounce work. When I've got it down, my favorite bump and run shots are with an 8 iron..... It seems simple, just a mini swing, but I have to practice it or I lose my feel for it.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV