2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

> @Conrad1953 said:

> > @scomac2002 said:

> > > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > > @Reasonability said:

> > > > > @scotee said:

> > > > > > @tolmij said:

> > > > > > > @Conrad1953 said:

> > > > > > > Here is Adam's professional record and his current world golf ranking (#263). He's had

> > > > > > > some high finishes.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=19477

> > > > > >

> > > > > > When you look at these results, it puts the Tiger thing in perspective.

> > > > >

> > > > > Isn't that the truth! 81 official PGA Tour wins is hard to imagine. He should be able to pass Snead and still has a shot at the Majors record.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Ya know what amazes me most?

> > > >

> > > > In their era, "greatness" was achieved wth equipment 99% of modern golfers would HATE. They played on courses kept to a standard not far from today's public track. No launch monitors, no idea of specific yardages to the front, back, and pin. Back-breaking reverse C swings. No jets to go from point A to B. No "strokes gained" stats. And for dang sure, no million dollar purses.

> > > >

> > > > Does all this make that generation "better"? NO! But I can't stop asking how earlier greats possibly reached such heights.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Fair to say it's a different game today. Tiger once said that if he ruled golf he

> > > would take it back to persimmon and balata. He's an old school guy and no

> > > doubt if that happened he would have an advantage.

> > >

> > > Don't see it happening though it would be fun if the Tour had one tournament

> > > a year where the players had to play with 1960s equipment. We'd find out who

> > > can play with it and who can't. Actually, I think that's a great idea. **You know

> > > people Judge; make it happen!**

> >

> > Actually Conrad, I believe it was you who knew people; the powers that be and so on, who could makethings happen... :wink:

> >

> >

>

> Unfortunately, there must be a certain order to things. I cannot initiate a process

> but instead must wait for the call to make my ruling on a matter. It is I who gets

> the call from "they" and "the powers that be". I don't call "them".

>

> They have yet to think of this because in and of themselves they are devoid of

> fresh ideas. This is where the Judge can come in, being a member of the illustrious

> illuminati, he can go in and plant the seed of the idea to get them thinking and

> the process started. We all know how committees can be and that's why they

> need me in the end to make final determinations.

>

> My plea to the Judge is a plea to get the ball rolling; to go down "there" and

> make something happen so that the process can then begin. I'm sure that after

> "they" have had a minimum of 32 meetings and are, yet again, deadlocked, I

> will get the call to make the call........and, of course, I will rule that starting next

> year and continuing every year thereafter that the "Hits of the 60s" Tournament

> be held each year at Harbour Town Golf Links the week following the Masters.

>

>

Went there. Have now returned here. While there, found them in a state of hopeless deadlock over likes not always being given now that TOOL'd is a non-issue...

• Like 2

> @scomac2002 said:

> Time for a little golf related activity. The sun came out this afternoon with temperatures rising up into the mid 60's, so I thought it would be a good day to get outside and swing a club and maybe even hit a few balls. Took my 5 hybrid and away I went. It would be a good test as I wasn't feeling perfect by any means after a few days of cool wet weather.

>

> I made about a dozen dry swings to get loose and then tossed down a handful of balls into the shaggy turf. I was careful to prop each one up on a tuft of grass as I didn't want to be attempting to dig them out of the "rough". Topped the first one as I was a bit quick. I then concentrated on being a bit more deliberate with a smooth swing rather than trying to "hit" the ball. The remaining balls flew straight with a pleasing trajectory and surprising distance. Crisp contact on the well hit shots that felt rather effortless. I may not be done with R flex just yet.

>

> I also discovered that my "old" swing is perfectly serviceable when I stay within myself and just swing smoothly. No need to reinvent the wheel. Things are definitely looking up Grillsters! :smiley:

Atta boy Scomacer. The golf gods can smile on a man just when he needs it most.

Oh, and according to Scotee, moving sucks -lol. But like you, he was fully ready and willing. Have fun with all the above.

• Like 2

> @Conrad1953 said:

> Congrats to C.T Pan on his first tour win. I remember he got pretty high on some

> leaderboards last year. I didn't watch. What happened to DJ; shot 77 today?

>

> Bick. I follow your man Adam Schenk from time to time. I know he missed the cut

> this week but he's in the 80s in Fedex Cup points ranking so he's hanging in there

> really well. Do you get the chance to talk to him much? Curious about his thoughts

> on life on the PGA Tour.

>

> I used to follow Matt Hansen's thread here at WRX. He was working his butt off

> trying to get some starts on the Web.com. I haven't looked at his thread recently

> but it was readily apparent how hard it is just to get to the Web.com, never mind

> the PGA Tour. His WRX name is golfingbro in case you want to look in on him.

>

> Adam is getting some great experience. Hope to see him climbing some leaderboards

> soon. All it takes is one good week to rake in a bunch of Fedex points and be set

> for the next year......not to mention cash a big paycheck.

Glad you are following him Rad. He's playing well so far this year. He's moved down south, but I do get to see him every so often. You are correct about higher aspirations, I congratulated him on his 2 top 10 finishes, and his standing, his response was I have to play better. I usually see him in public, with his family, so I don't ask a ton of questions, he always asks how I'm playing, and always wants to talk to me about other sports, like we did when he was much younger. Very humble young man.

• Like 2

One of our jobs over Easter was erecting a fence in front of our water tanks, there used to be tiger grass but that was so untidy. Started laying mulch around the newly planted parts, rain was very heavy at times so had to give up. Friday dug the post holes ready for the concrete, since then they have been full of water, emptied them out once and they were full with ground water within 15 mins, waiting for the forecast dry weather, still no sign of it. Painting instead.

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

> @scomac2002 said:

> The grass has greened up. The buds are breaking, whilst others swell. The crocuses and snow drops are in bloom. Spring is truly in the air despite the wet and temperatures that persist in the 40's (at least early in the day). Soon the sound of lawnmowers making their appointed rounds will be ringing through the neighbourhood.

>

> Most of the local courses are now open for play, although it is walking only or CPO. It could be a fine day for golf, but I know that I don't have suitably waterproof footwear for the current turf conditions and I'll most likely wait for warmer temperatures just to be on the safe side. Only the diehards are out this early in the season as I find myself checking the tee sheet daily. Not sure when I'm going to start, but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough (course duties). Strangely, I find myself looking forward to that as much as taking out a few clubs and giving the little white ball a swat. I suppose it's the uncertainty of it all...

>

> I should probably mention that we have accepted a conditional offer for our property. We began to look at houses again on the weekend. It's clear that my focus for this summer will not necessarily be getting back to playing golf regularly, but finding a new home and moving. Because my wife is still working we have a radius from her place of employment that we are looking within as she doesn't want to drive any further than present. The area we are currently looking in, although further east from where we live, is exactly the same commuting time as our current location. This also means that the golf course is no further for me than at present and maybe even a bit quicker due to going against the general flow of traffic in the morning. We've been focusing on this particular area as we like the proximity to the lake and the amenities there. There is also a new hospital being built and the daily commuter train to Toronto is to be expanded to provide all day service to this location within the next 10 years so the investment opportunity of the area will be well above average I would think.

>

> It's all quite exciting I'm finding which is a contrast to how I thought I might react. DW on the other hand is quite stressed about the whole thing so I'm going to push to get preparations made in advance to ease her stress. Who knew that it was going to be a bigger change for her than me?

I made light of my move a couple of years ago. What else can you do? But it was stressful and it did suck at times. We have had some big changes in a short time and it looks like you will too. Taking it all as an adventure and a challenge is the right attitude. It is also good that you have an awareness of how your wife is coping and can be there for her as well.

We sold a business, a building and equipment, a house, a rental house and just today another rental house. Hope we are done for awhile. Hope it all goes well for you too.

• Like 1

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

> @scotee said:

> > @Reasonability said:

> >

> Takes me back to the 1980 olympics. Played a trumpet and Cornet but never a Flugelhorn.

Likewise my friend. Secretly longed to be the next Doc Severinsen leading the NBC Tonight Show band. LOL - A job and a band that no longer exist. 1980: engaged to the future Mrs. Reason. Was waking up from majoring in add-drop amid my fourth of a five year plan. About the end of my sophomore year something strange happened.

Had literally burned out on music studies. The GPA was great and all was well. Just simply and suddenly flamed totally out. Sat it down one day with every intention of taking a short break. Couple of days turned into weeks. Changed my major. Never opened that horn case again. Still love music. Still play guitar. But one day with zero forethought- any/all career aspirations just suddenly went lights out.

• Like 2

> @scomac2002 said:

> Closing dates are negotiable. We have a close on our existing property of August 15 as we have a lot of preparations to do both before and after we move. I'm not really interested in closing on a new property prior to June 30 as we are travelling in early June and also file or taxes at that time, so all that needs to be out of the way first. It will be interesting to see if our agent pushes us to go earlier as the one house we are currently looking at is for sale due to a marital split so I imagine they want to get it over with as soon as possible.

>

> The conditional period on our current property expires Friday midnight so we will know soon enough if we have a firm deal. It's looking pretty good as the financing is in place and the inspection will take place on Wednesday.

>

> As far as the move is concerned we're planning on hiring a firm to come in, pack everything up, do the move and then unpack and set up at the new location. It will be expensive, but I'm not going to deal with it any other way. I've helped other family members move in the past when they decided to get cheap on the moving costs. It's never as cheap as it seems. I find that professional movers are generally money well spent.

We have only had someone pack our boxes once and that was our move from England to Australia, when they arrived at our new house there were items in there that did not belong to us and we were told that the seals put on in out presence would not be broken untill we opened them at the other end, they could not tell us why they were there. Have always used removalists to physically take everything from one place to the other but always pack our own boxes, we moved ourselves the first time weeks after we were married as it was a long journey and we could not afford it, we hired a truck and a friend helped us, hard work, these removalists earn their keep.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Missus wants to move, due to the new petrochemical plant being built across the Ohio River. She is obsessed about leaving the toxic environment. Her sister wants her to buy a house two doors from her, just up for sale. I can see moving, to a warmer climate, but just to a neighboring town, makes no sense to me. Sis lives 4 or 5 miles away, just a bit less as polluted as where we are now. I tell her we'll end up giving our current place away, to get rid of the extra expense, just like my mother's and aunt's place. The realtors don't work for you. They see the situation, and act accordingly. They have to smooze the buyer. The seller is already hooked.

Wife has another sister in Florida. Her husband has been ill for a long time. They are odd birds, hoarders, and totally weird. They look and act like elderly hippies. Both have mental problems.

I'm sure, when BIL passes, SIL will move back here. My missus says she will go to Florida, and help Sis with the house sale and such. AND, I can envision Sis moving in with us permanently. The local sister has already stated that she is not going to let her older sister live with her.

So, now, our place is too small to have a permanent boarder, one bathroom and such. A new house will put a new light on the potential permanent house guest situation.

What gets me, is that, for years, we talked about moving to a warmer climate. Now, just move closer to sister, away from the polluted plant. My argument that the area had been polluted for 100 years, with steel mills, nuclear power plant, coal fired power plant, etc. falls on deaf ears. The site which the new plant is being built, was the site of a lead processing site. Nearby, another chemical plant, run by Atlantic Richfield, may still be operational.

Whatever is going to kill us, is already in us.

Why do husbands die before the wives. They want to.

Oh woe is me!

• Like 2

> @Wriggles said:

> Missus wants to move, due to the new petrochemical plant being built across the Ohio River. She is obsessed about leaving the toxic environment. Her sister wants her to buy a house two doors from her, just up for sale. I can see moving, to a warmer climate, but just to a neighboring town, makes no sense to me. Sis lives 4 or 5 miles away, just a bit less as polluted as where we are now. I tell her we'll end up giving our current place away, to get rid of the extra expense, just like my mother's and aunt's place. The realtors don't work for you. They see the situation, and act accordingly. They have to smooze the buyer. The seller is already hooked.

> Wife has another sister in Florida. Her husband has been ill for a long time. They are odd birds, hoarders, and totally weird. They look and act like elderly hippies. Both have mental problems.

> I'm sure, when BIL passes, SIL will move back here. My missus says she will go to Florida, and help Sis with the house sale and such. AND, I can envision Sis moving in with us permanently. The local sister has already stated that she is not going to let her older sister live with her.

> So, now, our place is too small to have a permanent boarder, one bathroom and such. A new house will put a new light on the potential permanent house guest situation.

> What gets me, is that, for years, we talked about moving to a warmer climate. Now, just move closer to sister, away from the polluted plant. My argument that the area had been polluted for 100 years, with steel mills, nuclear power plant, coal fired power plant, etc. falls on deaf ears. The site which the new plant is being built, was the site of a lead processing site. Nearby, another chemical plant, run by Atlantic Richfield, may still be operational.

> Whatever is going to kill us, is already in us.

> Why do husbands die before the wives. They want to.

> Oh woe is me!

>

>

>

I find it funny that sometimes decisions are made that defy logic, it’s important that everyone is involved in said decisions and all are happy with the outcome. I know I can sometimes end up in trouble by pointing out practical implication of things DW wants, but we always eventually agree on what we are going to do.

Usually we are thinking along the same lines anyway so it’s easy, but a can see how if you are completely of a different mind it can turn nasty, as for taking care of a relative, it’s not something I could do, you never know where it will end, DW will never go into a home but that’s different, we have promised each other no matter what it will not happen. Arelative in the UK recently lost her husband, she nursed him for two years changing his clothes bathing feeding etc, I would see that as my job but not a relative.

• Like 1

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

The way I look at this moving thing is this: Last year we went from square one to holding a wedding with over 50 guests on our property in pretty much a matter of six weeks. Yes, we had a lot of help and I don't expect this to be any different. The help will be paid this time around, but help is help all the same.

When my MIL passed away three of us took a fully furnished smokers house; emptied it, cleaned it, painted it, installed broadloom and a bunch of sundry other smalll things in six weeks from beginning to listing. I didn't think that was possible either, but we managed to pull it off. Now I was younger and fitter and we did have to put in seven day weeks often into the evening, but it got done and the house sold the first weekend.

This too shall pass, whether with the house we're currently looking at or another that suits us better. Heck! This may not even be our last move. We might just have a couple more in us before it's all over!

This all reminds me of friends of my parents. They moved 20 times in 22 years. They were house flippers back in the day before such a term existed and when it was customary to live in the place that you were renovating. The wife was a real estate agent. They would do a few small upgrades; pave a driveway, build a garage (remember this was in the 1960's), repaint, do a bit of landscaping, etc. Things that she knew they would get their money out of and the some.

The above makes for an appropriate segue into the house we're currently looking at. I had mentioned that the property was for sale due to a marriage breakup. The couple bought the house a year ago and along the way decided to renovate the basement. The basement was fully finished when they bought it, nicely done , but a bit dated as they say. Now they have an entirely new space down there, a bit of a blank canvas in builders grey. The sad part is there were beautiful wood built-in cabinetry and a gas fireplace that are all gone. This had to be the most ill advised renovation I've seen in a while and yet the sellers expect to be compensated for the money they spent -- $40K -- to hire the job completed. I'm not particularly enclined, but i'm sure that someone will think it's wonderful. I know I did until my agent found the previous listing and sent me a copy of it.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Wriggles said:

> Missus wants to move, due to the new petrochemical plant being built across the Ohio River. She is obsessed about leaving the toxic environment. Her sister wants her to buy a house two doors from her, just up for sale. I can see moving, to a warmer climate, but just to a neighboring town, makes no sense to me. Sis lives 4 or 5 miles away, just a bit less as polluted as where we are now. I tell her we'll end up giving our current place away, to get rid of the extra expense, just like my mother's and aunt's place. The realtors don't work for you. They see the situation, and act accordingly. They have to smooze the buyer. The seller is already hooked.

> Wife has another sister in Florida. Her husband has been ill for a long time. They are odd birds, hoarders, and totally weird. They look and act like elderly hippies. Both have mental problems.

> I'm sure, when BIL passes, SIL will move back here. My missus says she will go to Florida, and help Sis with the house sale and such. AND, I can envision Sis moving in with us permanently. The local sister has already stated that she is not going to let her older sister live with her.

> So, now, our place is too small to have a permanent boarder, one bathroom and such. A new house will put a new light on the potential permanent house guest situation.

> What gets me, is that, for years, we talked about moving to a warmer climate. Now, just move closer to sister, away from the polluted plant. My argument that the area had been polluted for 100 years, with steel mills, nuclear power plant, coal fired power plant, etc. falls on deaf ears. The site which the new plant is being built, was the site of a lead processing site. Nearby, another chemical plant, run by Atlantic Richfield, may still be operational.

> Whatever is going to kill us, is already in us.

> Why do husbands die before the wives. They want to.

> Oh woe is me!

>

>

>

It's logic Wrigs, we're removed, or remove ourselves because it's no longer logical that our logic was ever logistical to anyone but ourselves. Therefore you can say woe is me or whoa Nellie...

• Like 1

As far as moving, this is our 16th year in this same house. We like it that much, and we haven't lived anywhere else that long in our 45 years. So I don't see us moving again, even to downsize since it's paid for, and we've replaced everything that can be replaced. It's an older established neighborhood, and when we moved here, we felt like since everyone seemed just a tad older than us, it would never change. Funny thing is now, people are starting to die off, or selling off, and we have become the 'older people', ugh. The country club is seeing its last days as it transforms into some kind of historical site, which is supposed to be quite something they say, so that won't affect us I hope. When we did move over the years, we always did it ourselves as I was never without a pickup truck, and the ambition to do it, and save the moving money of course.

• Like 2

We expect one more planned move. To downsize. When? Not for probably for several years. A number of reasons. Much to be done here first. Also our out of state mom's are facing the inevitable end of their time (especially mine). We'd prefer not facing too many property management issues at or near the same time. As the old saying goes:

"Eat the elephant one sandwich at a time."

• Like 2

We made our last move when we bought this present house in 2004. We're happy

right where we are and plan to live out the rest of our days here in sweet home

Alabama where the skies are so blue.

• Like 1

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

> @Conrad1953 said:

> We made our last move when we bought this present house in 2004. We're happy

> right where we are and plan to live out the rest of our days here in sweet home

> Alabama where the skies are so blue.

>

Same here, we moved last five years ago, massive upsize with no intention of moving again. We have put lots of work into our garden to make a tranquil place for us to see out our time. The reason we upsized is son offered to buy in with us so we had twice the cash as anticipated. Our last house was a big mistake,we downsized from our bush retreat which was a fantastic house to be nearer the action and it did not work. Always think twice before downsizing it is not as good as it sounds.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

@tolmij ; you're the only person I know that upsized in retirement. I get the rationale behind it, but still, I have no deisre to have more to look after. Just give me a bit of space and a bit of privacy and I will be fine.

What we have deinitely decided against is buying and renting at the same time which is essentially what condo ownership is. The heck of it is that the property taxes are often the same as a freehold home plus you still have the monthly strata fees. I can hire a lot of grass cutting and snow removal for those fees.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Up this morning with the expectation of a dry day, no chance of putting in our tank fence, holes still full of water and rain is pelting down. Surprise surprise weather man got it wrong again.

• Like 1

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Leaves are coming out on the trees here in full force, spring is doing its thing. Birds are back, laying claim to their nesting areas, grass is definitely green, it's looking good. Pollen count is up with the new buds, some wind blowing it around a bit this evening so it can find just the right noses and eyes to bother. Great time of year, new golf season locked and loaded...

• Like 2

> @SixtySomePing said:

> Leaves are coming out on the trees here in full force, spring is doing its thing. Birds are back, laying claim to their nesting areas, grass is definitely green, it's looking good. Pollen count is up with the new buds, some wind blowing it around a bit this evening so it can find just the right noses and eyes to bother. Great time of year, new golf season locked and loaded...

> @SixtySomePing said:

> Leaves are coming out on the trees here in full force, spring is doing its thing. Birds are back, laying claim to their nesting areas, grass is definitely green, it's looking good. Pollen count is up with the new buds, some wind blowing it around a bit this evening so it can find just the right noses and eyes to bother. Great time of year, new golf season locked and loaded...

Such a great time of year! A time of great optimism. I love springtime.

• Like 1

SLED Gemini

Not bragging; just sharing; as our esteemed fellow Grillester Scotee has said. I figure

it's safe to post this in here. Our lot is just under an acre in size with nary a flat spot

on it anywhere. With the help of a friend with a backhoe, we were able to carve out

part of a hill to create a flat spot to build a pool.

We found a local stone mason to build us a rock retaining wall to keep the hill at

bay; part of which can be seen to the right in this pic. The wall is actually over 6 feet

high at it's highest point; which would be behind you from this vantage point.

All this was done back in 2004/5; as you can see the trees we planted around the

pool area have grown; creating the little sanctuary we had envisioned when we

started on this project.

After a day in the heat on the golf course; I enjoying coming home and chilling

in this spot.

yfq8s643rzom.png

• Like 1

SLED Gemini

> @SixtySomePing said:

> Belated congrats to my fav LPGA'er Brooke Henderson, 8 wins now at 21 years old. Very proud of her, she has quite a career ahead of her...

Indeed. She has tied the record for career wins by a Canadian in either the LPGA or the PGA. A singular talent amongst Canadian golfers! :sunglasses:

> @SixtySomePing said:

> Leaves are coming out on the trees here in full force, spring is doing its thing. Birds are back, laying claim to their nesting areas, grass is definitely > green, it's looking good. Pollen count is up with the new buds, some wind blowing it around a bit this evening so it can find just the right noses > > > and eyes to bother. Great time of year, new golf season locked and loaded...

Saw three Flickers this morning during my walk. They were making quite the commotion. All the critters are making up for a long winter's absence/inactivity.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

> @Conrad1953 said:

> Not bragging; just sharing; as our esteemed fellow Grillester Scotee has said. I figure

> it's safe to post this in here. Our lot is just under an acre in size with nary a flat spot

> on it anywhere. With the help of a friend with a backhoe, we were able to carve out

> part of a hill to create a flat spot to build a pool.

>

> We found a local stone mason to build us a rock retaining wall to keep the hill at

> bay; part of which can be seen to the right in this pic. The wall is actually over 6 feet

> high at it's highest point; which would be behind you from this vantage point.

>

> All this was done back in 2004/5; as you can see the trees we planted around the

> pool area have grown; creating the little sanctuary we had envisioned when we

> started on this project.

>

> After a day in the heat on the golf course; I enjoying coming home and chilling

> in this spot.

> yfq8s643rzom.png

>

Very nice Rad! That looks like such a nice quiet place to enjoy. Any good So Cal boy has to have a pool. We gave up our hot tub when we moved so my pool is 250 yards down the hill in the Snake River. We have a local Aquatics Center close by that costs less than $5 for seniors or about $30/month. It has a nice weight/exercise room and indoor olympic size pool. Wave pool and slides and all the kids stuff outdoors in the summer. It gets hot here in summer but not with the humidity that you get. Nice that you have that to help you cope with your summer.

Oh and thanks for sharing. :smiley:

• Like 1

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Q> @scomac2002 said:

> @tolmij ; you're the only person I know that upsized in retirement. I get the rationale behind it, but still, I have no deisre to have more to look after. Just give me a bit of space and a bit of privacy and I will be fine.

>

> What we have deinitely decided against is buying and renting at the same time which is essentially what condo ownership is. The heck of it is that the property taxes are often the same as a freehold home plus you still have the monthly strata fees. I can hire a lot of grass cutting and snow removal for those fees.

Cannot understand anyone purchasing a property where someone else determines what you can do and how much maintenance etc is going to cost you, similar things happen in Australia where some unit blocks are ruled by a committee that can determine many aspects of your life and in the UK where the land your new house is in belongs to someone else and there is no gaurentee of a lease renewal when it runs out. The house is yours but the land is mine take your house away or I will demolish it.

Me I like to be independent and controls over my own dwelling, having said that our local council do try to interfere.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @Conrad1953 said:

> Not bragging; just sharing; as our esteemed fellow Grillester Scotee has said. I figure

> it's safe to post this in here. Our lot is just under an acre in size with nary a flat spot

> on it anywhere. With the help of a friend with a backhoe, we were able to carve out

>

> We found a local stone mason to build us a rock retaining wall to keep the hill at

> bay; part of which can be seen to the right in this pic. The wall is actually over 6 feet

> high at it's highest point; which would be behind you from this vantage point.

>

> All this was done back in 2004/5; as you can see the trees we planted around the

>

> After a day in the heat on the golf course; I enjoying coming home and chilling

> in this spot.

> yfq8s643rzom.png

>

Now I want one, that is the major item DW wants that at present we cannot afford, it’s on output to do list. That is a very relaxing looking area Conrad shows you have good taste, let me know when you are home and we will visit.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

ufyadvgcwc7i.png

> @scotee said:

> > @Conrad1953 said:

> > Not bragging; just sharing; as our esteemed fellow Grillester Scotee has said. I figure

> > it's safe to post this in here. Our lot is just under an acre in size with nary a flat spot

> > on it anywhere. With the help of a friend with a backhoe, we were able to carve out

> > part of a hill to create a flat spot to build a pool.

> >

> > We found a local stone mason to build us a rock retaining wall to keep the hill at

> > bay; part of which can be seen to the right in this pic. The wall is actually over 6 feet

> > high at it's highest point; which would be behind you from this vantage point.

> >

> > All this was done back in 2004/5; as you can see the trees we planted around the

> > pool area have grown; creating the little sanctuary we had envisioned when we

> > started on this project.

> >

> > After a day in the heat on the golf course; I enjoying coming home and chilling

> > in this spot.

> > yfq8s643rzom.png

> >

>

> Very nice Rad! That looks like such a nice quiet place to enjoy. Any good So Cal boy has to have a pool. We gave up our hot tub when we moved so my pool is 250 yards down the hill in the Snake River. We have a local Aquatics Center close by that costs less than $5 for seniors or about $30/month. It has a nice weight/exercise room and indoor olympic size pool. Wave pool and slides and all the kids stuff outdoors in the summer. It gets hot here in summer but not with the humidity that you get. Nice that you have that to help you cope with your summer.

>

> Oh and thanks for sharing. :smiley:

Ha, yep we SoCal boys gotta have water. If there isn't any close by then we'll

stick it in the back yard, lol. We do have a lake a few hundred yards down the

little road behind our house but swimming with the water moccasins is not

my cup of tea. They're territorial and aggressive.....and very poisonous.

It's a 3-4 hour ride to the gulf beaches. Too much an ordeal so we aren't

inclined to get down there much. Like where Stu's at the beaches are all

touristy places with condos and hotels and such.

• Like 1

SLED Gemini

> @Conrad1953 said:

>

>

>

> in this spot.

> yfq8s643rzom.png

>

Message from DW.

Conrad, how long did it take? how much did it cost? can we have a copy of the plans? When can we see it? Brilliant job best looking pool I have seen for a long time, tastefully decorated with the tiles round the top, smart retaining wall, good use of steps into the pool, planters are a nice addition.????

Conrad I think she likes it.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

> @tolmij said:

> > @Conrad1953 said:

> > Not bragging; just sharing; as our esteemed fellow Grillester Scotee has said. I figure

> > it's safe to post this in here. Our lot is just under an acre in size with nary a flat spot

> > on it anywhere. With the help of a friend with a backhoe, we were able to carve out

> > part of a hill to create a flat spot to build a pool.

> >

> > We found a local stone mason to build us a rock retaining wall to keep the hill at

> > bay; part of which can be seen to the right in this pic. The wall is actually over 6 feet

> > high at it's highest point; which would be behind you from this vantage point.

> >

> > All this was done back in 2004/5; as you can see the trees we planted around the

> > pool area have grown; creating the little sanctuary we had envisioned when we

> > started on this project.

> >

> > After a day in the heat on the golf course; I enjoying coming home and chilling

> > in this spot.

> > yfq8s643rzom.png

> >

>

>

> Now I want one, that is the major item DW wants that at present we cannot afford, it’s on output to do list. That is a very relaxing looking area Conrad shows you have good taste, let me know when you are home and we will visit.

Anytime Tol. Any Grillesters are welcome though our house is small. We have

one guest bedroom and that's it. Our house in SoCal was much bigger. We got

that bigger house thinking we would have family members come up to stay

but it didn't happen that much; a few times a year is all and the rest of the

time those extra bedrooms were of little use to us. Made sense to downsize

when we moved to Bama.

• Like 1

SLED Gemini

> @BicknellCC said:

> Hey Sco,

> I'm watching the world mixed doubles curling championship on the olympic channel. Thre's a lot more to it than I ever imagined. I'm guessing these folks make it look easy, like PGA players do with golf.

Bick; mixed doubles is a different game. The rules are different in terms of how many rocks are thrown and as a result th strategy is different often times leaving many rocks in play. Scoring tends to be higher in the doubles game versus the four player team game. As you surmized, the competitors at the world level make it look easy, especially those who sweep their owns rocks after throwing them!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)