2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What to look at when in a greenside bunker?

Just wanted to know what you guys look at when in a green side bunker? Do you look at the ball or look behind the ball, or a grain a sand behind the ball?

I have a lot of problems with entering it sand at a consistent point. Either I catch it clean and send it over the green or fat and leave it in the bunker. I’ve worked on stop swaying, ball position and keeping my weight a little left. I just wondered who looks at the ball and who looks at the sand behind the ball.

Entry spot

If I had to guess, your issue may involve not being shallow enough

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @golfingnut300 said:

> Thanks, but do you look at the ball or the sand behind it??

>

> My fat ones do have a big divot, and I do have a steep swing.

>

> > @cardoustie said:

> > Entry spot

> > If I had to guess, your issue may involve not being shallow enough

>

>

He’s saying he looks at the entry spot behind the ball. The ball is the one thing you shouldn’t hit in the entire bunker; why would you look at it? Move the ball forward, open up your stance, open up the blade more than you’d think. Then just turn back, turn through, and call it a day.

More importantly, you should be picking out an exact spot you want to land your bunker shot.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Sorry ?. Didn’t see the first two words. Duh ?

Entry spot, thanks, bad habit of looking at the ball.

I guess the green is a little to vague

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> > @golfingnut300 said:

> > Thanks, but do you look at the ball or the sand behind it??

> >

> > My fat ones do have a big divot, and I do have a steep swing.

> >

> > > @cardoustie said:

> > > Entry spot

> > > If I had to guess, your issue may involve not being shallow enough

> >

> >

> He’s saying he looks at the entry spot behind the ball. The ball is the one thing you shouldn’t hit in the entire bunker; why would you look at it? Move the ball forward, open up your stance, open up the blade more than you’d think. Then just turn back, turn through, and call it a day.

>

> More importantly, you should be picking out an exact spot you want to land your bunker shot.

>

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> > @golfingnut300 said:

> >

> >

> > > @cardoustie said:

> > > Entry spot

> >

> >

> He’s saying he looks at the entry spot behind the ball. The ball is the one thing you shouldn’t hit in the entire bunker; why would you look at it? Move the ball forward, open up your stance, open up the blade more than you’d think. Then just turn back, turn through, and call it a day.

>

> More importantly, you should be picking out an exact spot you want to land your bunker shot.

>

Agreed. I try to make as “normal” or “standard” of a golf swing as I possibly can. I focus on a point roughly 2” behind the ball and try to hit the sand at that spot.

The less exact I’ve become with my intentions in the sand the better a bunker player I’ve become.

1. Open the blade

2. Hit the sand first

3. Make a normal golf swing

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @golfingnut300 said:

> Just wanted to know what you guys look at when in a green side bunker? Do you look at the ball or look behind the ball, or a grain a sand behind the ball?

> I have a lot of problems with entering it sand at a consistent point. Either I catch it clean and send it over the green or fat and leave it in the bunker. I’ve worked on stop swaying, ball position and keeping my weight a little left. I just wondered who looks at the ball and who looks at the sand behind the ball.

Great question and I don't know if I really have the answer.

When I was struggling with my bunker shots, I spent some time actually practicing my bunker shots and what I find out is that I was losing focus on the ball or the entry point of my club because my eyes were constantly moving around despite my head being relatively still. So I focused on keeping my eyes quiet (if that makes sense) and focus on the ball and it solved a lot of my problems.

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5 Driver
Yamaha RMX 220 17* 5 Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids - 21* and 24*
Callaway Apex 21 P-6 Irons
Titleist Vokey SM9 Wedges 56-14F and 60-4T
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

> @golfingnut300 said:

> Thanks, but do you look at the ball or the sand behind it??

>

> My fat ones do have a big divot, and I do have a steep swing.

>

> > @cardoustie said:

> > Entry spot

> > If I had to guess, your issue may involve not being shallow enough

>

>

Since when do you want to be shallow in a bunker?!? You want a steep, V shaped swing that produces a shallow divot because you are releasing the club and having the sole in the correct attitude through the sand. Almost everything in the modern bunker swing, from pre-setting the hands low, to picking it up, to maintaining an open leading edge, to an OOT downswing (that comes down the shaft angle because of how you set your body) is designed to have a steep descent into the ball.

I wouldn’t focus on where to look, focus on the feel of the right swing for the distance and lie you have.

Consider getting something like a [Callaway Sure Out](

"Callaway Sure Out"). That way you don't even need to open the club face (esp. not if you go with a 64*). Just use your normal wedge swing but addressing with the ball an inch or so forward so that you hit the sand first. It's called a 'Sure Out' for a reason :)

Also works in thick rough.

But the key for me in sand has always been to commit to the swing and make sure I do a follow-through. I often say to myself 'If you don't want to lose golf balls, don't play golf'. A faint-heart never got anyone out of a bunker.

• Like 1

> @"David C" said:

> > @golfingnut300 said:

> >

> >

> > > @cardoustie said:

> > > Entry spot

> >

> >

>

>

> Since when do you want to be shallow in a bunker?!? You want a steep, V shaped swing that produces a shallow divot because you are releasing the club and having the sole in the correct attitude through the sand. Almost everything in the modern bunker swing, from pre-setting the hands low, to picking it up, to maintaining an open leading edge, to an OOT downswing (that comes down the shaft angle because of how you set your body) is designed to have a steep descent into the ball.

>

> I wouldn’t focus on where to look, focus on the feel of the right swing for the distance and lie you have.

Please watch the iteach video on a long and SHALLOW divot

The world is full of hack trap players that steeply bury the club deep into the sand

• Like 1

EvnRoll ER9

I've never focused on entering the sand at a certain depth and I've always been a good bunker player. I would bet that one of four things are occurring. 1. Fake open face. Meaning that you are "opening" the club face by rotating your hands. Instead of this, grip the club open. If you have grips with the logo aligned to the top of the shaft(like almost all clubs are bought off the rack) you would want that logo pointing to the right hand side of the club when you grip it(for a right handed golfer). So, when I grip a wedge that I am hitting out of the bunker, the logo will be facing towards my fingers in my right hand(if that makes sense). You want to grip the club open so that the club face points to the sky. 2. Place the ball an inch or so off your left heel. 3. When you dig your feet in you should be able to tell how firm the sand is. The firmer the sand the less club head speed that is needed and the softer the sand the more club speed needed. 4. You need to make sure you accelerate. I.E. The backswing should be shorter than the follow through.

Doing this, especially the ball placement and digging in your feet, should negate the need for estimating where you need to hit the sand because your natural swing arc will enter the sand for you. Just accelerate through and practice hearing that thump.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

I look in front of the ball where I want the club to exit the sand

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

> @"David C" said:

> > @golfingnut300 said:

> >

> >

> > > @cardoustie said:

> > > Entry spot

> >

> >

>

>

> Since when do you want to be shallow in a bunker?!? You want a steep, V shaped swing that produces a shallow divot because you are releasing the club and having the sole in the correct attitude through the sand. Almost everything in the modern bunker swing, from pre-setting the hands low, to picking it up, to maintaining an open leading edge, to an OOT downswing (that comes down the shaft angle because of how you set your body) is designed to have a steep descent into the ball.

>

> I wouldn’t focus on where to look, focus on the feel of the right swing for the distance and lie you have.

More often than not, in general, probably work best to be shallow and no reason to impose some special "OTT" downswing.

> @"David C" said:

> > @golfingnut300 said:

> >

> >

> > > @cardoustie said:

> > > Entry spot

> >

> >

>

>

>

Huh ?

For a fried egg sure. What if you’re hitting it 40 feet and want it to throw the anchor out when it hits ? There is no one answer. All depends on the shot.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @"David C" said:

> > @golfingnut300 said:

> >

> >

> > > @cardoustie said:

> > > Entry spot

> >

> >

>

>

>

That depends...do you want the club to glide through the sand and under the ball smoothly so the ball comes out high and soft...or do you want to stab it into the stand, have the club stop abruptly, and leave the ball in the bunker?

> @Krt22 said:

> > @"David C" said:

> > > @golfingnut300 said:

> > > Thanks, but do you look at the ball or the sand behind it??

> > >

> > > My fat ones do have a big divot, and I do have a steep swing.

> > >

> > > > @cardoustie said:

> > > > Entry spot

> > > > If I had to guess, your issue may involve not being shallow enough

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> > Since when do you want to be shallow in a bunker?!? You want a steep, V shaped swing that produces a shallow divot because you are releasing the club and having the sole in the correct attitude through the sand. Almost everything in the modern bunker swing, from pre-setting the hands low, to picking it up, to maintaining an open leading edge, to an OOT downswing (that comes down the shaft angle because of how you set your body) is designed to have a steep descent into the ball.

> >

> > I wouldn’t focus on where to look, focus on the feel of the right swing for the distance and lie you have.

>

>

> That depends...do you want the club to glide through the sand and under the ball smoothly so the ball comes out high and soft...or do you want to stab it into the stand, have the club stop abruptly, and leave the ball in the bunker?

My thoughts entirely!! With the exception of a plugged ball, you want to be sweeping a bank note sized sliver of sand away from under the ball. As regards the OP, I get my self set up in the practice bunker and make a few swings focusing on contacting the sand in the same place. Then I will do the same with a ball in the middle of the 'bank note' and concentrate on the same entry point.

What did transform my game was getting a bunker lesson when I was young. Even if you don;t want a long game lesson, a bunker session will make a huge difference, as you stop worrying about missing greens.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

The same guys that struggle in traps can't hit flop shots greenside

The releasing the hands and clubhead are a foreign concept

• Like 1

EvnRoll ER9

> @cardoustie said:

> The same guys that struggle in traps can't hit flop shots greenside

Until I was able to equate the two, my bunker play was horrible. Once I made the connection, my bunker play improved dramatically. Chunk and run, dollar-sized divots, strike the match, let the sand carry the ball...none of that made any sense, nor did any of those thoughts ever work reliably for me , no matter how much practiced.

Flop shot = Sand shot is gold.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

> @stryper said:

> > @cardoustie said:

> > The same guys that struggle in traps can't hit flop shots greenside

>

> Until I was able to equate the two, my bunker play was horrible. Once I made the connection, my bunker play improved dramatically. Chunk and run, dollar-sized divots, strike the match, let the sand carry the ball...none of that made any sense, nor did any of those thoughts ever work reliably for me , no matter how much practiced.

>

> Flop shot = Sand shot is gold.

I do have trouble with flop shots. I always try to help the ball in the air instead of releasing the club head and letting it pass my hands. I guess I should work on my flop shots at the same time?

There's just so many different ways to play it. Look at the video with Tiger and Jason Day. Even they have different styles. Day's method requires a hell lot of precision though. I like how Justin Rose depicts it. Prefer to thump down at the sand (not dig). Make sure to open the clubface so you can use the bounce, just like in a flop shot. I feel like I get out of bunkers OK now, way better than when I tried to dig a ditch out of the bunkers lol. Way less effort too.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

go learn how to take shallow divots of sand with no ball, using the bounce of the wedge as a rudder

Then learn how to do it with a ball up in your stance. You have to pretend its like a flop out of the rough where you are releasing the clubhead and it is whipping/sliding/passing under the ball

• Like 1

EvnRoll ER9

A lot of where you enter the sand has to do with the way your torso is positioned. You can have wide legs, low hands, weight slightly forward, and all that good setup stuff, but if your torso is tilted back too much, you'll hit the sand too far behind the ball. So you may just need to adjust your sternum further forward (so it feels tilted a bit towards the target). That will move the bottom of the arc forward a bit.

How to film your golf swing:

Down The Line

> @Scottbox said:

> A lot of where you enter the sand has to do with the way your torso is positioned. You can have wide legs, low hands, weight slightly forward, and all that good setup stuff, but if your torso is tilted back too much, you'll hit the sand too far behind the ball. So you may just need to adjust your sternum further forward (so it feels tilted a bit towards the target). That will move the bottom of the arc forward a bit.

Practice session today and wow was it bad!! Tried lower hands, lower stance, hinge, unhinge and all I seemed to do was hit WAY too far behind the ball, fat and deep. Tomorrow I will make sure my torso is more tilted forward. Just seems to me with lowering legs and hands, that you would hit it fat, which I do a lot today. I definitely was not opening the club enough before, today I had it wide open but I was hitting it 4 to 6 inches behind the ball. Do you guys choke up on the club much?

I haven’t tried just getting in the bunker with no ball and just trying to make shallow divots. The course was busy today and was unable the just swing away. Also have to find a good practice bunker near by and not leave till I get this s*** down.

I will figure it out, or just pay the money and get a lesson where he can see what I am doing wrong.

None of you have clearly understood a word I wrote. At no point am I saying you have to try to swing OTT. And at no point did I say you want a deep divot. You want a shallow divot but caused by a V shaped swing. Because that means you strike the ball with shaft lean but the club skins through the sand in a shallow manner because your technique is sound and body moving (or not moving) correctly. You don’t want a U shaped swing. The people that strive to swing shallow are exactly the people that leave it in the bunker, or are forced to manufacture some steepness by handle grabbing or leg drive or both in order not to come in way too shallow.

You use a V shaped, steep swing, you set up correctly, have the shaft down and the leading edge open and your weight stays central as the club passes you - you will get a shallow strike with normal shaft lean. People that swing too shallow and/or have this misguided notion that there is no shaft lean on a bunker shot foul it up by last ditch attempts to create it.

I repeat - V shaped swing, shaft lean, bounce exposed, club releasing, gets you the shallow skim you want.> @cardoustie said:

> > @"David C" said:

> > > @golfingnut300 said:

> > > Thanks, but do you look at the ball or the sand behind it??

> > >

> > > My fat ones do have a big divot, and I do have a steep swing.

> > >

> > > > @cardoustie said:

> > > > Entry spot

> > > > If I had to guess, your issue may involve not being shallow enough

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> > Since when do you want to be shallow in a bunker?!? You want a steep, V shaped swing that produces a shallow divot because you are releasing the club and having the sole in the correct attitude through the sand. Almost everything in the modern bunker swing, from pre-setting the hands low, to picking it up, to maintaining an open leading edge, to an OOT downswing (that comes down the shaft angle because of how you set your body) is designed to have a steep descent into the ball.

> >

> > I wouldn’t focus on where to look, focus on the feel of the right swing for the distance and lie you have.

>

> Please watch the iteach video on a long and SHALLOW divot

> The world is full of hack trap players that steeply bury the club deep into the sand

>

>

I’ve seen the video. And he is doing exactly what I am saying: hands low by body low. Weight in heels so it minimises weight transfer. Face square and leading edge open. Low hands creates more wrist c0ck without you having to actively add it. Shaft is flatter without having to manufacture it with some swing wrecking attempt to swing shallow. Shaft gets more vertical straight away and V shaped, club releases with normal shaft lean: shallow passage of clubhead skimming through the sand.

Set it up at address and swing simply and normally, I see so many people chunking it ‘trying’ to swing shallow.

If you don’t think setting yourself low and putting weight in the heels doesn’t add more angle and V shape I don’t know what to say.

Look also at bunker players like Luke Donald, Pete Cowen, Stan Utley, Brett Rumford, most of whom sit into the left leg as well. V shaped swings, shallow divots, ‘thunk’ sound of great sand play.

I've had many a light bulb go off when I describe conceptually presenting the shaft vertical instead of releasing the hands...

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter