New tax law, help you or hurt you? (No politics, USA only)

BB28403

It helped me, but hurt my wife. She usually gets back a ton (she has a kid), but when it went into effect, they messed up on the accounting and only ended up withholding 11.5ish%, so when we filed, we ended up owing a little. If we would have filed separate, I would have got back quite a bit for the first time in a long time (I’ve owed money every year since 2005 except maybe one as most of that time I worked contract jobs). She would have owed a ton though, so we filed joint to lower the burden.

She’s keeping an eye on it this year, so hopefully next year we won’t get hit like that.

> @BB28403 said:

> Did the new tax legislation passed last year help or hurt your tax refund?

>

> For me it hurt bad. Have been doing my taxes forever and my refund was 1/3 as much as usual. So I am in the hurt category.

>

> No politics !

You can't base your tax situation as hurt or help solely on your refund. You need to look at the total taxes you paid in for 2018 against what was paid in total in 2017.

• Like 1

> @DBill said:

> > @BB28403 said:

> > Did the new tax legislation passed last year help or hurt your tax refund?

> >

> > For me it hurt bad. Have been doing my taxes forever and my refund was 1/3 as much as usual. So I am in the hurt category.

> >

> > No politics !

>

> You can't base your tax situation as hurt or help solely on your refund. You need to look at the total taxes you paid in for 2018 against what was paid in total in 2017.

Exactly the same ANDDDD 2/3 less refund.

We were hurt pretty bad. I’ll be honest, the new tax laws have completely done away with the financial benefits of owning a home. I wouldn’t be shocked to see home ownership significantly decline over the next 5-10 years and more people go towards renting. My wife and I are already researching such a move.

• Like 1

Hurt, between the new home ownership provisions and the lack of student loan interest deduction I paid way more than I usually do.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

regarding the owning a home situation...high tax states were capped at how much property taxes were allowed to be deductible. the whole point is that just because the state has an incredibly high tax rate shouldn't then in turn allow the homeowner to deduct this large amount on their federal taxes. Yes, some people were negatively affected, but this is a good thing. it unfairly favored those living in expensive homes in high tax states. so yes, move out of that high tax state or city.

second...i'll say it again as another did, stop judging your tax bill by your refund. so many people are complaining about getting less of a refund or even owing a small amount vs last years refund. none of this is relevant to your overall bill. many companies or individual messed up their withholdings which gave some sticker shock, but it doesn't mean you paid more or less taxes. and how many people still don't realize that a large refund is not ideal. for those that love refunds, i'd be happy if you'd like to send me a few thousand today and i'll give it back to you without interest next year. if you pay 22k and get back 3k vs paying 18k and getting back 1k, which is the better deal? yet so many people lack the common sense necessary to look beyond a simple refund...and the media isn't helping.

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

My total effective 2018 federal tax rate stayed about the same on very similar income vs 2017, maybe changed a tenth or two of a percent. I've always had my withholdings from work set so that even after taxes owed on dividends and interest, I end up only either owing or being owed a couple hundred bucks max, but whatever withholding changes they did with the new tax situation for 2018 messed it all up and I ended up owing the feds a few grand due to under-withholding. Not enough to cause me to owe a penalty though. I've re-adjusted my withholding so it doesn't happen again.

Help. Work for a small business and because tax breaks to business my boss gave a 20% increase. Rough math shows a slightly lower percentage(1%) being taxed on payroll overall refund slightly up. I'd have to dig deeper but I think the raise did bump me into a higher tax bracket which would eat up more of the help that I saw. Wife and I are pretty much definition of middle class. Household income between 75-100k , own our residence

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

> @HoosierMizuno said:

> regarding the owning a home situation...high tax states were capped at how much property taxes were allowed to be deductible. the whole point is that just because the state has an incredibly high tax rate shouldn't then in turn allow the homeowner to deduct this large amount on their federal taxes. Yes, some people were negatively affected, but this is a good thing. it unfairly favored those living in expensive homes in high tax states. so yes, move out of that high tax state or city.

>

> second...i'll say it again as another did, stop judging your tax bill by your refund. so many people are complaining about getting less of a refund or even owing a small amount vs last years refund. none of this is relevant to your overall bill. many companies or individual messed up their withholdings which gave some sticker shock, but it doesn't mean you paid more or less taxes. and how many people still don't realize that a large refund is not ideal. for those that love refunds, i'd be happy if you'd like to send me a few thousand today and i'll give it back to you without interest next year. if you pay 22k and get back 3k vs paying 18k and getting back 1k, which is the better deal? yet so many people lack the common sense necessary to look beyond a simple refund...and the media isn't helping.

Your take on the homeowner deductions are inaccurate. For example, I live in Nebraska which has extremely high property tax rates on account of very low tourism revenue and other state income sources that are not available due to various reasons. These high property tax rates affect all homeowners including people at the lower end of the income scales. Proportionally it is the lower income homeowners that are most affected because they are paying a higher percentage of their income to property tax and not receiving a tax credit now. It is significantly detrimental to low income homeowners who cannot recover that lost income.

My wife and I basically broke even between state and federal. Not bad IMO, but under the previous tax code her and would have gotten a ton of money back. We pay a lot in state, local and property taxes and the cap reduced the refund quite a bit.

TSR2 8*, Ventus TR Red 7x

TSi2 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR2 18°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

MP-20 MMC  5-P, DG X100
SM8 50F, 54S, 58M (X7 "spinners")
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

> @GooseHook said:

> My wife and I basically broke even between state and federal. Not bad IMO, but under the previous tax code her and would have gotten a ton of money back. We pay a lot in state, local and property taxes and the cap reduced the refund quite a bit.

But Admiral, shall we concentrate our fire on the Super Star Destroyer?

> @HoosierMizuno said:

> regarding the owning a home situation...high tax states were capped at how much property taxes were allowed to be deductible. the whole point is that just because the state has an incredibly high tax rate shouldn't then in turn allow the homeowner to deduct this large amount on their federal taxes. Yes, some people were negatively affected, but this is a good thing. it unfairly favored those living in expensive homes in high tax states. so yes, move out of that high tax state or city.

>

> second...i'll say it again as another did, stop judging your tax bill by your refund. so many people are complaining about getting less of a refund or even owing a small amount vs last years refund. none of this is relevant to your overall bill. many companies or individual messed up their withholdings which gave some sticker shock, but it doesn't mean you paid more or less taxes. and how many people still don't realize that a large refund is not ideal. for those that love refunds, i'd be happy if you'd like to send me a few thousand today and i'll give it back to you without interest next year. if you pay 22k and get back 3k vs paying 18k and getting back 1k, which is the better deal? yet so many people lack the common sense necessary to look beyond a simple refund...and the media isn't helping.

I paid more overall, plus the explanation you are attempting to make could never be sold in a viable way in a political campaign in a society which is savings averse. My issue is paying more overall and getting less back overall. I'll give you less government, but I'll take more of your money. Good times...

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash