How good do you have to be to try and “ make it” as a pro?

Golf seems to be a rare sport where there are a pretty decent amount of people between 20-35 that are grinding to “ make it” on tour. I don’t know anyone that watches Steph Curry play basketball on TV and thinks “ ya I can probably shoot about that good”. And yet people watch the best in the world absolutely demolish golf courses and give the pro dream a go. How good do you think someone has to be to give up other career aspirations and try and make it via either smaller tours, q school, etc?

«13

Comments

  • tgard227tgard227 Members Posts: 50 ✭✭

    I guess by make it you mean make a living? Or are you saying make it to the PGA tour?
    Make a living - Maybe the APT tour? I bet a lot of these guys lack children and mortgages but that is besides the point.
    https://agpts.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/agpt19/event/agpt193/contest/1/leaderboard.htm Winner played to a plus 3 handicap average. We can always debate how tricked up the course was and conditions like wind or rain but i lack all of that and probably everyone else does too. Given that there are probably some nerves involved, maybe the winner lost 2 strokes average per round? So, a plus 5 handicap to make it on a mini tour?

  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,370 ✭✭

    Iteach is 100% correct. Plenty of guys chase the pro dream in other sports too, G league, Europe league , China league etc for NBA. XFL, CFL, various other regional pro leagues for football

    Golfers look more normal than NBA or NFL players because you don't have to be 6'8 or 240lbs. But that's to people on their couch, not people actually trying to make it who realize how good you have to be.

    I don't think many clueless people really pursue pro golf. Probably no more than the NBA or NFL. Plenty of guys who you've never heard of have toiled in minor leagues for other sports, I'm one of them!

    If you're not a +5, +6 in your teens, it's probably gonna be a REALLY uphill battle

    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • Shades234Shades234 Members Posts: 251 ✭✭

    I think there are just as many guys in different sports trying to make it. I think what makes golf seem more attainable is that it's an individual sport with a fairly well supported and competitive amateur scene. Qualifying for tournaments is also a lot different than making a team. You don't need to fit a certain mold and be evaluated favorably by a scout at a tryout. No one will judge your height, weight, jump, or mechanics. Your score is the only thing that matters. If you can afford the entry fee and a caddie, you can play and have the round of your life. I can't think of another sport (aside from maybe tennis) where you can literally play well for 2 days (3 rounds) and find yourself on the same stage as the world's best competing for a national title and a cool $1.6 million.

  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,353 ✭✭

    @iteachgolf said:
    US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

    Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

    I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

    As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Members Posts: 1,003 ✭✭

    Yeah, if you're not already a pro when you are in your 20's you might as well give up. Just stick to the amateur tournaments where you can be competitive. There are some guys there who used to be pro's anyway and gave it up. I think people look at DJ bombing and think oh yeah I can do that! And then they get on the range and reality sinks in. It's basically the same for basketball. You can imagine a lot of things, but it's not even close. Playing against NBA defenders is a different planet compared to YMCA. Being good at your local course is nothing close to being good on a PGA course setup.

    TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

    Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,720 ✭✭

    @ebrasmus21 said:

    @iteachgolf said:
    US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

    Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

    I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

    As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

    Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

  • buzzthecatbuzzthecat OHMembers Posts: 52 ✭✭

    @iteachgolf said:

    @ebrasmus21 said:

    @iteachgolf said:
    US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

    Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

    I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

    As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

    Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

    I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

  • juststevejuststeve Members Posts: 4,745 ✭✭

    When you are well under par, consistently, on a wide variety of courses and dominating in USGA amateur tournaments its time to consider turning pro. If you can't do that turning pro is an unrealistic dream.
    Steve

  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,381 ✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2019 12:07pm #11

    I think it's also important to understand that the +6 and +7 hcp's are traveling hcp's not home course.

    Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Project X HZRDUS Black Smoke 70 6.5
    TBD
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey White Hot Versa #6 Tour issue
    Srixon Zstar XV


    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub

    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/

    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590

    INSTAGRAM- @Jminis13
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,720 ✭✭

    @juststeve said:
    When you are well under par, consistently, on a wide variety of courses and dominating in USGA amateur tournaments its time to consider turning pro. If you can't do that turning pro is an unrealistic dream.
    Steve

    Plenty of successful pros haven’t dominated in USGA events. Many never won a single USGA event and plenty never made it past 1st or second round of match play

  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,370 ✭✭

    @buzzthecat said:

    @iteachgolf said:

    @ebrasmus21 said:

    @iteachgolf said:
    US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

    Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

    I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

    As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

    Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

    I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

    It's still a numbers thing. Some states have better golfers (Florida, California, Arizona?) And the best juniors are usually going to go to the best junior programs.

    If you're a 3 index technically you are better than what , 98% of golfers? Not even accounting for regional biases yet

    A 3 index would be a top 10 player at many courses in Quebec for example. A 3 index walking on as a single at public courses might go 5 years without playing with someone better than him. At least around here

    I have never been paired with a better player than me at a public course, and my handicap ranged from 0-3 in that span, were talking 15 years

    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • buzzthecatbuzzthecat OHMembers Posts: 52 ✭✭

    @MtlJeff said:

    @buzzthecat said:

    @iteachgolf said:

    @ebrasmus21 said:

    @iteachgolf said:
    US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

    Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

    I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

    As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

    Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

    I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

    It's still a numbers thing. Some states have better golfers (Florida, California, Arizona?) And the best juniors are usually going to go to the best junior programs.

    If you're a 3 index technically you are better than what , 98% of golfers? Not even accounting for regional biases yet

    A 3 index would be a top 10 player at many courses in Quebec for example. A 3 index walking on as a single at public courses might go 5 years without playing with someone better than him. At least around here

    I have never been paired with a better player than me at a public course, and my handicap ranged from 0-3 in that span, were talking 15 years

    All good points. I play in the midwest on public courses so you hit the nail on the head.

  • juststevejuststeve Members Posts: 4,745 ✭✭

    @iteachgolf said:

    @juststeve said:
    When you are well under par, consistently, on a wide variety of courses and dominating in USGA amateur tournaments its time to consider turning pro. If you can't do that turning pro is an unrealistic dream.
    Steve

    Plenty of successful pros haven’t dominated in USGA events. Many never won a single USGA event and plenty never made it past 1st or second round of match play

    Perhaps dominating amateur events is a bit much. The point I was trying to make is that ball striking proficiency isn't enough. It must be combined with a disposition that allows one to compete against other proficient players. One way to demonstrate that is in tournament play. There may be other ways as well.

    Steve

  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,353 ✭✭

    @buzzthecat said:

    @MtlJeff said:

    @buzzthecat said:

    @iteachgolf said:

    @ebrasmus21 said:

    @iteachgolf said:
    US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

    Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

    I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

    As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

    Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

    I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

    It's still a numbers thing. Some states have better golfers (Florida, California, Arizona?) And the best juniors are usually going to go to the best junior programs.

    If you're a 3 index technically you are better than what , 98% of golfers? Not even accounting for regional biases yet

    A 3 index would be a top 10 player at many courses in Quebec for example. A 3 index walking on as a single at public courses might go 5 years without playing with someone better than him. At least around here

    I have never been paired with a better player than me at a public course, and my handicap ranged from 0-3 in that span, were talking 15 years

    All good points. I play in the midwest on public courses so you hit the nail on the head.

    That’s kinda why I was asking iTeach for his input on the handicaps. I’m down to a 3 now as well. I’m a member of a private club and there are numerous people better than me that I play with on a regular basis.

    But the point remains that a 3 cap is better at golf than the vast majority of humans on planet earth. Even so, the same 3 cap isn’t even remotely in the same universe when it comes to the talent and ability of these +5, +6, +7 kids.

    A lot of these high level Ams that I know of are a Tournament +4 because they only post competitive rounds. If they posted all their rounds; like going to the home course and playing the white-tees with grandpa and shooting 63 they’d probably be +8 or something insane.

    The talent that’s out there is really amazing.

    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ClubWRX Posts: 3,231 ClubWRX

    ah yes, the mythical all pros were +5 or better before turning pro thread... where's that sarcasm font when you need it....

    Taylormade M6 w/ATMOS black ts 6x
    Taylormade M5 3 wood w/HZRDUS black 75 6.5
    Taylormade p790 3-pw
    Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges
    Taylormade Spider Mallet 72
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,720 ✭✭

    @bogeypro said:
    ah yes, the mythical all pros were +5 or better before turning pro thread... where's that sarcasm font when you need it....

    Certainly not all successful pros were +5s when turning pro. But the successful pros are all +5s or better

  • br61br61 3x Hackin' Hall of Shame SW MissouriMembers Posts: 2,626 ✭✭

    @MtlJeff said:

    @buzzthecat said:

    @iteachgolf said:

    @ebrasmus21 said:

    @iteachgolf said:
    US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

    Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

    I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

    As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

    Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

    I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

    It's still a numbers thing. Some states have better golfers (Florida, California, Arizona?) And the best juniors are usually going to go to the best junior programs.

    If you're a 3 index technically you are better than what , 98% of golfers? Not even accounting for regional biases yet

    A 3 index would be a top 10 player at many courses in Quebec for example. A 3 index walking on as a single at public courses might go 5 years without playing with someone better than him. At least around here

    I have never been paired with a better player than me at a public course, and my handicap ranged from 0-3 in that span, were talking 15 years

    When you mentioned about 3 HC better than 98% of golfers. I looked this up on USGA.

    https://www.usga.org/handicapping/handicap-index-statistics/mens-handicap-index-statistics-d24e6096.html

    I was +3.8 at my best but I couldn't hold a candle to those guys, they are so good in lot of areas. I'm around +1 right now and there are 2-3 guys at my club that I would consider a better golfer than I am. One of them is thinking about Monday qualifying few times around midwest this summer. I would tell him to save his money.

    My bag of hacking utensils;

    Titleist TS3 9.5 PX Even Flow White 6.0(45")
    917F2 16.5* Diamana D+ 80 stiff
    816H1 19 & 23 Speeder 8.8 stiff
    Z585 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
    J15CB 4-PW Modus 120 stiff
    TM MG Bronze, 52*, 56* & 60* Modus Wedge 115
    Bobby Grace LFI 43"


  • GolfonthemindGolfonthemind Members Posts: 200 ✭✭

    @tgard227 said:
    I guess by make it you mean make a living? Or are you saying make it to the PGA tour?
    Make a living - Maybe the APT tour? I bet a lot of these guys lack children and mortgages but that is besides the point.
    https://agpts.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/agpt19/event/agpt193/contest/1/leaderboard.htm Winner played to a plus 3 handicap average. We can always debate how tricked up the course was and conditions like wind or rain but i lack all of that and probably everyone else does too. Given that there are probably some nerves involved, maybe the winner lost 2 strokes average per round? So, a plus 5 handicap to make it on a mini tour?

    I meant to eventually make it on the PGA tour and have everything that goes with it. I guess I have a hard time believing people (especially golf) would give up the best career years of their lives to just be competitive on mini tours and make a “ decent living”. But ya I know several people that play on that exact tour and it’s hard to tell just how wide the gap between something like that and the PGA tour is.

  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,370 ✭✭

    @br61 said:

    @MtlJeff said:

    @buzzthecat said:

    @iteachgolf said:

    @ebrasmus21 said:

    @iteachgolf said:
    US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

    Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

    I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

    As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

    Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

    I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

    It's still a numbers thing. Some states have better golfers (Florida, California, Arizona?) And the best juniors are usually going to go to the best junior programs.

    If you're a 3 index technically you are better than what , 98% of golfers? Not even accounting for regional biases yet

    A 3 index would be a top 10 player at many courses in Quebec for example. A 3 index walking on as a single at public courses might go 5 years without playing with someone better than him. At least around here

    I have never been paired with a better player than me at a public course, and my handicap ranged from 0-3 in that span, were talking 15 years

    When you mentioned about 3 HC better than 98% of golfers. I looked this up on USGA.

    https://www.usga.org/handicapping/handicap-index-statistics/mens-handicap-index-statistics-d24e6096.html

    I was +3.8 at my best but I couldn't hold a candle to those guys, they are so good in lot of areas. I'm around +1 right now and there are 2-3 guys at my club that I would consider a better golfer than I am. One of them is thinking about Monday qualifying few times around midwest this summer. I would tell him to save his money.

    Thanks for the link!

    Was a guess but I was fairly close!

    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • physasstphysasst Rochester, MNMembers Posts: 55 ✭✭

    Tennis is similar. I was ranked nationally back in the late 1980's, and even tried my hand at the satellite pro tournaments after college. I thought I was pretty good but got destroyed in my first tourney, and did better in my second, but still not...great. Most people and even many athletes, regardless of sport, don't really realize the difference in talent until you get a taste of competition against upper tier/professional level folks. I realized pretty quickly that while I was good and had talent...I wasn't that level of good. It's the same in a lot of sports.

    Srixzon z785 9.5*
    Taylormade M1 3W 15*
    Srixon H7853i Hybrid 19*
    Taylormade P-790 4-GW
    Cleveland 588-RTX 54* SW
    Cleveland 588-RTX 58* LW
    Cleveland Smart Square Counterbalanced Putter
  • Krt22Krt22 Members Posts: 6,504 ✭✭

    @MtlJeff said:

    @br61 said:

    @MtlJeff said:

    @buzzthecat said:

    @iteachgolf said:

    @ebrasmus21 said:

    @iteachgolf said:
    US +6 or UK +3 would be my starting point.

    Plenty of guys in the D league and playing all over Europe, Australia, and Asia chasing professional basketball. It’s not that they think they can be better than Steph Curry, but they think they can make a living playing basketball and potentially make an NBA roster.

    I teach a good number of guys who are trying to make it and some who have made it. There’s no draft in golf, and some guys “trying to make it” would be first or second round picks if golf worked like other sports.

    As a junior what do you think guys like Spieth and JT and DJ were playing at? Would you say those guys were all +5 minimum all throughout their amateur days?

    Yes. The top junior golfers are at least that good. Top 32 right now are all tournament +4s or better and their actual handicaps will be considerably lower. Cody Carroll was a +7.2 when he was ranked around 25 in the country. Played as the number 5 man or as an individual in college all year this year, just to show how much better top college players are than juniors. He did win conference freshman of the year though.

    I'm continually amazed at how good some folks are at golf. I'm a 3 hdcp and I rarely play with anyone better than me. It's just unreal how many exceptional players are out there...especially the juniors!

    It's still a numbers thing. Some states have better golfers (Florida, California, Arizona?) And the best juniors are usually going to go to the best junior programs.

    If you're a 3 index technically you are better than what , 98% of golfers? Not even accounting for regional biases yet

    A 3 index would be a top 10 player at many courses in Quebec for example. A 3 index walking on as a single at public courses might go 5 years without playing with someone better than him. At least around here

    I have never been paired with a better player than me at a public course, and my handicap ranged from 0-3 in that span, were talking 15 years

    When you mentioned about 3 HC better than 98% of golfers. I looked this up on USGA.

    https://www.usga.org/handicapping/handicap-index-statistics/mens-handicap-index-statistics-d24e6096.html

    I was +3.8 at my best but I couldn't hold a candle to those guys, they are so good in lot of areas. I'm around +1 right now and there are 2-3 guys at my club that I would consider a better golfer than I am. One of them is thinking about Monday qualifying few times around midwest this summer. I would tell him to save his money.

    Thanks for the link!

    Was a guess but I was fairly close!

    One thing to note, that stat is also just for people who actually keep a formal index. I'd bet a majority of golfers don't.

  • tgard227tgard227 Members Posts: 50 ✭✭

    @Golfonthemind said:

    @tgard227 said:
    I guess by make it you mean make a living? Or are you saying make it to the PGA tour?
    Make a living - Maybe the APT tour? I bet a lot of these guys lack children and mortgages but that is besides the point.
    https://agpts.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/agpt19/event/agpt193/contest/1/leaderboard.htm Winner played to a plus 3 handicap average. We can always debate how tricked up the course was and conditions like wind or rain but i lack all of that and probably everyone else does too. Given that there are probably some nerves involved, maybe the winner lost 2 strokes average per round? So, a plus 5 handicap to make it on a mini tour?

    I meant to eventually make it on the PGA tour and have everything that goes with it. I guess I have a hard time believing people (especially golf) would give up the best career years of their lives to just be competitive on mini tours and make a “ decent living”. But ya I know several people that play on that exact tour and it’s hard to tell just how wide the gap between something like that and the PGA tour is.

    I have a hard time believing that one would have a great game and decide to walk away from it without at least trying. You can always go back to the office later in life.

  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Play Golf With Him The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,684 ClubWRX

    @physasst said:
    Most people, regardless of sport, don't really realize the difference in talent

    THIS is the most astute comment in the thread!!

    Cheers🍻
    RP

    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,370 ✭✭

    @tgard227 said:

    @Golfonthemind said:

    @tgard227 said:
    I guess by make it you mean make a living? Or are you saying make it to the PGA tour?
    Make a living - Maybe the APT tour? I bet a lot of these guys lack children and mortgages but that is besides the point.
    https://agpts.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/agpt19/event/agpt193/contest/1/leaderboard.htm Winner played to a plus 3 handicap average. We can always debate how tricked up the course was and conditions like wind or rain but i lack all of that and probably everyone else does too. Given that there are probably some nerves involved, maybe the winner lost 2 strokes average per round? So, a plus 5 handicap to make it on a mini tour?

    I meant to eventually make it on the PGA tour and have everything that goes with it. I guess I have a hard time believing people (especially golf) would give up the best career years of their lives to just be competitive on mini tours and make a “ decent living”. But ya I know several people that play on that exact tour and it’s hard to tell just how wide the gap between something like that and the PGA tour is.

    I have a hard time believing that one would have a great game and decide to walk away from it without at least trying. You can always go back to the office later in life.

    Some people just do the math. Odds of making it in a pro sport are low if you aren't a blue chipper, if you don't make it and start in an office later in life you potentially make huge earnings sacrifices. Companies like young folks because they can groom them and grow in the company at a reasonable rate. Most companies don't want to hire 30yr olds in entry level positions , they'd rather hire a 23yr old who will be more patient. Sucks but this is the reality in many places. It's nice to get in a company young , if you work hard you can do well. Not as glamorous as pro sports but hey, it pays the bills

    When I was 23 the starting salary in my job was the same as a CFL player. And I wouldn't have to live in Winnipeg or Saskatchewan praying for an NFL shot. I sometimes wish I'd tried, buy realistically if I didn't make it, I'd be doing a lot worse than I am now

    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • Forged4everForged4ever To See A Man’s True Character, Play Golf With Him The Burgh/Hdcp: My gene poolClubWRX Posts: 15,684 ClubWRX
    edited Apr 23, 2019 10:39pm #28

    @iteachgolf said:

    @juststeve said:
    When you are well under par, consistently, on a wide variety of courses and dominating in USGA amateur tournaments its time to consider turning pro. If you can't do that turning pro is an unrealistic dream.
    Steve

    Plenty of successful pros haven’t dominated in USGA events. Many never won a single USGA event and plenty never made it past 1st or second round of match play

    Absolutely, great point!!

    Many guys turn the corner and the light goes on when they begin to Play for Pay and the list is incredibly long of USGA Champions and great Ams who couldn’t make a cut in a satellite event or Canadian Tour event, much less even qualify for a Web.com Tour event, lol

    Do a Monday Q for a Tour event???

    GTFOH😂😂

    For every Bryson, there are 1000’s of Nathan Smiths & Sean Knapps world wide, and they are two Studs, make no f****** mistake about it!!

    All the Best,
    RP

    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,645 ✭✭

    So the odds of a person making it in Pro golf are much worse than other sports?
    Do any pros spring to mind that barely made it recently?

  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,720 ✭✭

    @BB28403 said:
    So the odds of a person making it in Pro golf are much worse than other sports?
    Do any pros spring to mind that barely made it recently?

    Lanto Griffin is a good example of how winning at the right time can change things. But also how tough it can be. He won an event after making the cut on the number and earned his PGA Tour card.

  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,370 ✭✭
    edited Apr 23, 2019 11:34pm #31

    @BB28403 said:
    So the odds of a person making it in Pro golf are much worse than other sports?
    Do any pros spring to mind that barely made it recently?

    It's hard to quantify, but factoring in how many people play golf versus others sports, the amount of tour cards that are available, and the salaries of those players, I'd estimate golf is one of the "hardest" sports to be successful in. This is not an exact science though

    Basketball for example, there's over 400 roster spots, the minimum salary is >800k and even 2 way g league contracts are around 400k I believe

    You can kick around a while, play in the NBA for 2 seasons and make 1M + in earnings. Golf is no guarantee like that. There are roughly as many basketball players in the US as golfers

    The NFL less people play overall, there's more roster spots and minimum salary is 500k around though non guaranteed

    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file