Fitting Confusion

pxthree

I decided to get fit for a new driver this year. Last year I was fit into a TPT shaft for my Epic at Club Champion. I never felt really comfortable with that shaft and Figured I'd try from scratch this year and see what happens. But the skeptic in me just didn't trust the results that I've gotten. I've ended up getting fit at 4 different locations to see/experiment with the results. Each producing a different result. This has led me to confusion and questioning what I should go with. My stats and results are listed below. I did see good numbers with the final result at each fitting but just surprised at how different each of the results were. I didn't make any significant changes to my swing and all the fittings have been within a 1 month period. Any advice would be appreciated.

**Current Club**: Epic w/ TPT 16 MKP, MT

**SS**: ~90mph

**Fitting 1 (Local Mom and Pop) using Foresight GC2**

**Result**: Taylormade M6 Draw 10.5 Standard settings; GD Tour AD DI 6S

**Fitting 2 (Local large Golf shop) using Trackman**

**Result**: Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5, weight in Draw, set to Draw +1; Evenflow Black 6.0 75G

**Fitting 3 (Demo Day with Callaway Rep) using Trackman**

**Result**: Epic Flash 12.0, weight in Neutral, set to Draw Standard; GD Tour AD DI 6S

**Fitting 4 (GolfTec) using Foresight GC2**

**Result**: Epic Flash 10.5, weight in Fade, set to Neutral Standard; Tensei AV 65 S -1/2in

What do I do with these results?

Stop wasting money with these fittings. My gosh, id be confused too.

Looks like the majority of the fittings said 10.5. That's the biggest piece to the puzzle.

I'm guessing you like the Epic Flash head? Id have a hard time believing all these shops said the Epic fits you best of all other heads... or maybe there is an incentive for local shops to push one specific club;)

Unless you're SUPER consistent, I'm going to guess you add more variability than any of these head/ shaft combos.

Pick the shaft you felt most comfortable with and rock it out.

Lastly, without any real numbers from the fittings, its hard for anyone here to say what "fits you best"

this is why "fitting" is one of the biggest scams going for amateur players. Sure it can help you a little bit....maybe get you 5-7 extra yards with a slightly tighter dispersion (that's if you are hitting every drive great), but overall, get a shaft that feels great to you and your swing will adjust to the club. No fitting is going to fix a bad swing and every fitter is different. Most do not know more than you or I, especially at the big box stores. Every swing you take is different...if you were a robot, fitting would really work wonders but you are not a robot. Get something that feels good, doesn't balloon and you will be fine....YOU have to be comfortable....> @pxthree said:

> I decided to get fit for a new driver this year. Last year I was fit into a TPT shaft for my Epic at Club Champion. I never felt really comfortable with that shaft and Figured I'd try from scratch this year and see what happens. But the skeptic in me just didn't trust the results that I've gotten. I've ended up getting fit at 4 different locations to see/experiment with the results. Each producing a different result. This has led me to confusion and questioning what I should go with. My stats and results are listed below. I did see good numbers with the final result at each fitting but just surprised at how different each of the results were. I didn't make any significant changes to my swing and all the fittings have been within a 1 month period. Any advice would be appreciated.

>

> **Current Club**: Epic w/ TPT 16 MKP, MT

>

> **SS**: ~90mph

>

> **Fitting 1 (Local Mom and Pop) using Foresight GC2**

> **Result**: Taylormade M6 Draw 10.5 Standard settings; GD Tour AD DI 6S

>

>

> **Fitting 2 (Local large Golf shop) using Trackman**

> **Result**: Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5, weight in Draw, set to Draw +1; Evenflow Black 6.0 75G

>

>

> **Fitting 3 (Demo Day with Callaway Rep) using Trackman**

> **Result**: Epic Flash 12.0, weight in Neutral, set to Draw Standard; GD Tour AD DI 6S

>

>

> **Fitting 4 (GolfTec) using Foresight GC2**

> **Result**: Epic Flash 10.5, weight in Fade, set to Neutral Standard; Tensei AV 65 S -1/2in

>

> What do I do with these results?

• Like 1

What's your handicap? Is your swing repeatable enough that your bringing the same one to every fitting?

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Without numbers it's really hard to tell. What I will say, is that swinging 90mph may not warrant you to spend all that extra cash on an upcharge shaft (which all of those seem to be, perhaps other than EF Black). Getting fit at 4 different places, no wonder you are confused. If you aren't comfortable with that TPT shaft, go back to the stock shaft of your Epic (if you have it) and try that. Being comfortable over the ball is a HUGE part of Driving the ball well. If you aren't confident on the tee, you are setting yourself up for disaster before you even address the ball.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Go with what looks and feels great. At the end of the day having confidence in your driver is really important.

I say go down to Golf Galaxy and just hold all the drivers , look down at them. If you love one then go hit it.

How are you hitting it?

If great, then buy that sucker .

Case closed.

Also one thing people do not talk about much is that, the driver you pick up at the store and demo with could be completely different than the one you buy. The tolerances from the factory can be way off, the true loft can be way off. So demo the one you will buy to make sure the numbers are the same.

It’s like giving the to be Mrs. a test run , check under the hood, oil levels, propensity to overheat. You know usual stuff. Haha

There's a lot of variables going on and for pretty much every amateur golfer (and even the pros to some extent) the swing you're bringing from one day to the next isn't going to be exactly the same. Different fitters go about things in different ways and they can only work with what they've got, both in terms of the swing you've got on that day as well as their equipment and lineup of shaft and head offerings. This is why it's key to have a good dialogue with your fitter. Is what you're seeing on that day indicative of what you see on the course? Let them know if you usually fade the ball but you happen to be drawing it that day. That's pertinent information they can use to make a more informed decision. Tell them what it is that you're looking for out of a new driver. More distance? More consistency? Longer on mis-hits? Help with a certain miss?

Just going off what they're seeing in the data is one thing, but having open conversation and painting them a picture of your game and what you need helps them do their job better. What I see in those 4 options isn't all that "random" really. 3/4 have the same loft and the SubZero model notwithstanding you're mostly being put into similar heads. The shaft is mostly about feel and what allows you to get solid strikes and deliver the clubhead with consistency and maximum efficiency in terms of energy transfer. Small differences in shaft may not have a huge effect, especially if there are offsetting factors. If one is heavier, maybe the balance point is higher or there's something else that allows you to deliver two shafts of different specs fairly equally in terms of consistency. There's more than one way to skin a cat as it were. I think some people think that out of the hundreds or thousands of shafts out there, one of them is their "Excalibur" and fits them perfectly and every other shaft is "wrong". That's simply not the case. There are likely certain profiles of shafts that fit you pretty well and there may be dozens of different shafts that are within the acceptable range of variables that produce a good swing. Just because they're all different doesn't mean any are inherently wrong or right.

With all this information (and you're on the border of information overload and analysis paralysis), I think it's pretty safe to say you can pick out a 10.5° Epic Flash head, certainly with either the AD DI 6S or the Tensei, but likely with either of the other two as well. If there's a particular shaft among those 4 (or your current TPT) that you like the feel of the best go with that one. I don't think you're getting wrong or conflicting information from any of these sources really, I just think you've now got too much of it and you're overthinking.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9º (at 8º) Accra TZ5 65 M5

3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Ti 15º Accra TZ5 75 M5

3i/4i: Srixon Z785 Nippon Modus 120X (4i 1º weak)

5i-PW: Srixon Z-Forged Modus 120X

50º/54º/60º: Cleveland RTX 4 (Mid Bounce) Modus 120X (50º/54º) & DG TI S400 (60º)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2 (33.75", 70º lie, 2.5º loft)

> @tatertot said:

> What's your handicap? Is your swing repeatable enough that your bringing the same one to every fitting?

Golfers who break 90 but seldom break 80 need to look for a driver _that doesn't hurt their game_. @300_Straight has the clue on how to find it...

> @300_Straight said:

> Without numbers it's really hard to tell. What I will say, is that swinging 90mph may not warrant you to spend all that extra cash on an upcharge shaft (which all of those seem to be, perhaps other than EF Black). Getting fit at 4 different places, no wonder you are confused. ...

When you get a fitting for multiple drivers at one shop, very often you end up with two drivers which are pretty much even on the Trackman numbers. To break the tie, goes with the one which feels best, gives you the most confidence over the ball.

Back circa 2008 was the first time I ever got fit for a driver. After giving baseline numbers from my old driver, I tried seven different head-shaft combos from different brands and models. This resulted in a digital tie between the Callaway HyperX Tour and the Cleveland HiBore. I opted for the Callaway because it just felt better at address - the club lined me up automatically. The HXT played well for several seasons until I got older and needed a lighter shaft.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @tsecor said:

> this is why "fitting" is one of the biggest scams going for amateur players. Sure it can help you a little bit....maybe get you 5-7 extra yards with a slightly tighter dispersion (that's if you are hitting every drive great), but overall, get a shaft that feels great to you and your swing will adjust to the club. No fitting is going to fix a bad swing and every fitter is different. Most do not know more than you or I, especially at the big box stores. Every swing you take is different...if you were a robot, fitting would really work wonders but you are not a robot. Get something that feels good, doesn't balloon and you will be fine....YOU have to be comfortable....>

I’m starting to agree with this I’ve had a couple of fittings now and I’ve found the only thing that matters is length, loft, and lie. Past that what feels the best.

> @tsecor said:

> this is why "fitting" is one of the biggest scams going for amateur players. Sure it can help you a little bit....maybe get you 5-7 extra yards with a slightly tighter dispersion (that's if you are hitting every drive great), but overall, get a shaft that feels great to you and your swing will adjust to the club. No fitting is going to fix a bad swing and every fitter is different. Most do not know more than you or I, especially at the big box stores. Every swing you take is different...if you were a robot, fitting would really work wonders but you are not a robot. Get something that feels good, doesn't balloon and you will be fine....YOU have to be comfortable....>

This was not the case for me, in my case I got dramatically tighter dispersion, more CHS, 20 yards extra with driver (not peak, average) and 10yards extra with 6i. Yes my swing was/is flawed, but what I was playing was very inconsistent so I was trying to adjust my swing to the club just about every single shot, which introduced a big two way miss, steering, etc. I had the same exact mentality that it was just my swing and that every swing was different, the TM data showed the exact opposite. Instead my swing was actually much more repeatable than I thought, but the face angle changed dramatically as I was trying to manipulate it each shot as I battled the two way miss.

I also swing driver 110+ so in my case the margin for error compounds. But I can say my left miss is way more manageable and I am hitting parts of the course I have never fathomed in the past. Yeah my swing is still flawed, but getting into the right shaft profiles has dramatically mitigated my big miss.

Go with 3

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Must have crazy transition for 90 mph and those shafts. I'd go back to Club Champ and say 'not too happy', take it from there.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

> @pxthree said:

> I decided to get fit for a new driver this year. Last year I was fit into a TPT shaft for my Epic at Club Champion. I never felt really comfortable with that shaft and Figured I'd try from scratch this year and see what happens. But the skeptic in me just didn't trust the results that I've gotten. I've ended up getting fit at 4 different locations to see/experiment with the results. Each producing a different result. This has led me to confusion and questioning what I should go with. My stats and results are listed below. I did see good numbers with the final result at each fitting but just surprised at how different each of the results were. I didn't make any significant changes to my swing and all the fittings have been within a 1 month period. Any advice would be appreciated.

>

>

>

>

>

> **Result**: Epic Flash Sub Zero 10.5, weight in Draw, set to Draw +1; Evenflow Black 6.0 75G

>

>

> **Result**: Epic Flash 12.0, weight in Neutral, set to Draw Standard; GD Tour AD DI 6S

>

>

> **Result**: Epic Flash 10.5, weight in Fade, set to Neutral Standard; Tensei AV 65 S -1/2in

>

Without LM numbers, all we know is what clubs that had the least misfit, but not how good or bad they was, but i question a few things more here...

At +90 mph club speed, you either have a swing that should be tweak a little (way to brutal), or your preference for feel must be to the stronger end, because a PX 6.0 shaft is not whats normally is used for that club speed. The same for shaft weight, 75 grams is "very heavy" for a driver at that CS, it might work, but its not likely a good fit unless you cant play anything lighter than DG in irons....MID 60 grams or lower is more likely, depending on play length.

I only see 1 club with another play length than Standard, by that alone i would dismiss the others...but that DONT mean club 4 was a good fit, there is no LM numbers available to judge that, AND compare it to what you got...

ALWAYS test your own club up against the final candidate, and use your own gamer balls for that test, only then you get the "apple to apple" compare we want, and this is especially important outdoor, its needed to see the actual ball flight, Range balls does NOT have the same flight, even if Trackman can "normalize" and convert the numbers, the ball flight you see will NOT be "true". If you want to SEE the actual ball flight you will have to use the ball you use in play.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

> @BB28403 said:

> > @cardoustie said:

> > Go with 3

>

> Because the rep has the least to gain? And just wants to get thru his day?

No because I like him having that shaft and that loft at his speed, YMMV

EvnRoll ER9

First of all, fitting is not a scam.

We should not expect that all your fittings with difference fitters, different launch monitors, different availability of equipments will have the same result. Even though all your fitting results are difference, it is obvious to me that you need a head that help you to launch the ball higher with some draw spin and you seems to prefer a stiffer feeling shaft than your swing speed suggest. I am no expert but your fitting result are not that different and make sense to me.

Callaway Paradym TD 9, Autoflex 505.
TM Stealth Plus 5W, Hzrdous Smoke Red 5.5

TSR2 7 wood, Ventus TR 6S.
Paradym X 5 hybrid, Ventus 7S.

Paradym X 6 hybrid, Ventus 7S.
PXG Gen4 0311ST, 7 to GW. Steelfiber Private Reserve 95R.
Artisan 54, 58. KBS TGI 90.

Callaway PM grind 64, KBS Hi-rev.
Odyssey 2 Balls Armlock.  Vessel Player 3 Stand Bag.

Your experience is more than likely what most people experience when skepticism drives them to multiple fitters and calls the advice of each into question. In an ideal world all fitters should come up with at least similar results but you're not in an ideal world. Notwithstanding, fitter education and experience are all over the place, skepticism is the bigger problem.

Pick one fitter that sounds like he knows something and trust in his counsel. In other words, if you're going to use a fitter, it's counterproductive to second guess him when you lack comparable experience and knowledge. Give the club a chance to perform and don't mean a few weeks. A month of regular play and lots of practice, then decide.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

One last note

I would insist on user a fitter with trackman .. that you can see OUTDOORS

Ping head offices excepted, their systems at HQ in AZ and Canada head offices are awesome

EvnRoll ER9

Thank you all for your comments on this. I appreciate all the different thoughts on the fitting process and my choice of trying different fitters. One user nailed it by stating that I am a skeptic. Maybe I need to fix that. My swing is pretty average tempo but I do like the feel of a stiffer shaft. I usually feel like I can control the head better. I'm working on getting my head speed up using Superspeed Golf and plan to stick with this driver for at least a couple seasons. I decided to go with the Epic Flash 10.5 with the Tensei Shaft.

Thanks again for all of comments and thoughts.

> @pxthree said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I would say that consideirng its the same head, your swing was not consistent during these fitting

> @pxthree said:

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

You’re as crazy as me. Except my endless chase for certainty is with irons (I have tpt in g400 Max and love it) I have similar speed as you.

Here’s what I have learned and believe. First, there isn’t any real certainty possible. Confidence in your club is the goal, and we amateurs have a ton of variance in our swing - which means we’re gonna hit bad shots and sometimes we lose confidence in the club when it’s really the swing that deserves attention.

But if you lose confidence you need it back and sometimes a club can’t be redeemed. Too many fails with it.

The gc quads should let you export data to your email address and can send you all the data from the fitting. (A ton, not just ball speed and club speed, etc) I am looking at things like smash factor, and where in the face I am hitting the ball. Where is it the best with the lowest std deviation (most consistent). And I’m not doing anything until i really believe I know why I prefer this club to that one.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @tatertot said:

> What's your handicap? Is your swing repeatable enough that your bringing the same one to every fitting?

i would argue that for high handicappers their swing is often very repeatable...contact may be all over the face, dispersion and face at impact very inconsistent, but tempo, swing path, bad habits, etc are often repeated and can be used to fit the player. i wouldn't assume that high handicaps don't have repeatable swings, its just that their bad swings are consistently bad. how often do you see a guy have a really quick tempo and out to in mix in a slow longer swing and tempo and hit from the inside on another swing.

i would also recommend asking plenty of questions during the fitting. what factors or results is the fitter looking for. some fitters simply look to find that one good shot that goes the longest, some want to fix dispersion, the best will find a mix of the two. one fitter may fit dispersion or contact by shortening the shaft, another through a heavier shaft. I find asking questions as to why the fitter chose what they did helps eliminate some of the second guessing, while the best fitters answer these questions by communicating their process and thinking without you needing to ask.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

You as a golfer will have different physical condition today to the next day.

The stronger you are the less likely you will have big swing in changes. Exactly why the golf tournament is over 4 days of stroke play.

From your fitting journey, looks like the Epic models fits your eyes. now you have to decide which model and loft that you'll play better in most of the days.

The big myth on golf club fitting is, can't fit the golfer like fitting it to the constant value of a piece of machinery. However, our human way of adjusting to compensate is a wonder which no A.I. could match at this time ( thank Goodness ).

So besides settling on a driver for the next few year ( or sooner ), you'll also need to strengthen your physical condition. Even the Professionals will have the up days and down days with their ability and condition.

I find that, so long as you're generally in the right area specs-wise, you'll learn to hit a club you like. For myself, I have found that approach to work better over the long run versus getting a club that I was hitting well on a particular day.

The way I look at it, if you're a decent/great ballstriker, then you'll adjust to any club and if you're not, then you can't trust the results of a few swings in a hitting bay anyway.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

One pro I know says that a 10.5 lofted head, with a 44 inch shaft and the right flex is all most double digit handicappers need as a baseline and in most cases it will be good enough in the end. It really comes down to feel and and does it look good, rather than any significant distance increases (unless the golfer is replacing something 7-8 years or older.