2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

What are the pro's/con's of the best private courses to possibly join in the Las Vegas area?

Haloha

I may be relocating to the Vegas area and am looking for a possible course to join and live nearby. Any suggestions on a great course, clubs and best bang for the buck? Also any courses to stay away from?

TIA

Current "Bag of Tricks"

Driver:  Callaway Maverik 10.5 "Tour Issue" Single Diamond w/Graphite Designs AD-VR5 S 

3W:  Taylormade M1 3HL w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 6 S

Utility:  Taylormade GAPR 3 Low w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 95 S tipped 1"  

Irons:  Miura CB-301 4-PW, SHIMADA S-Shafts, ELITE grips

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey  SM6 F 52/12,      SM7 F 56/14,       SM6 M 60/08 Copper Lmt. Ed.

Putter:  Scotty Tei-22 Fastback 1.5   34"  

Ball:  Titleist Pro V 1X  

Hi, welcome to Las Vegas! My two favorite private clubs in Las Vegas are TPC Summerlin and The Summit also in Summerlin. The courses and facilities are both top notch. The new spa, fitness and tennis center at TPC Summerlin is spectacular. The social aspect at TPC Summerlin is also the best in town. The two privates in town I would stay far away from are Las Vegas Country Club and Anthem CC. Both are in dire financial condition. Las Vegas Country Club is still kept in adequate condition, but Anthem is becoming rundown and ragged. I played in a corporate event at Anthem last week and myself and playing partners all complained about how rough the course and facilities were. Good luck with your move!

LasVegas89134, That's what I wanted to hear! I have played TPC Las Vegas numerous times and am looking at hopefully playing TPC Summerlin in the near future. I haven't heard of "The Summit" but will research it. What do you think of the TPC Las Vegas membership?

Anyone else want to chime in?

All advice is welcome!

Current "Bag of Tricks"

Driver:  Callaway Maverik 10.5 "Tour Issue" Single Diamond w/Graphite Designs AD-VR5 S 

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey  SM6 F 52/12,      SM7 F 56/14,       SM6 M 60/08 Copper Lmt. Ed.

TPC Las Vegas is fantastic with one of the best layouts in Las Vegas, but is not private. They do offer memberships with blocked tee times and practice facility access. TPC Summerlin will be a true private club experience. Both TPC Summerlin and TPC Las Vegas are the two best conditioned courses in the valley. You can’t go wrong with either.

> @LasVegas89134 said:

> TPC Las Vegas is fantastic with one of the best layouts in Las Vegas, but is not private. They do offer memberships with blocked tee times and practice facility access. TPC Summerlin will be a true private club experience. Both TPC Summerlin and TPC Las Vegas are the two best conditioned courses in the valley. You can’t go wrong with either.

Thanks, btw is The Summit open while still being constructed? I read where a few people had moved in but is it still being developed?

Current "Bag of Tricks"

> @Haloha said:

> > @LasVegas89134 said:

> > TPC Las Vegas is fantastic with one of the best layouts in Las Vegas, but is not private. They do offer memberships with blocked tee times and practice facility access. TPC Summerlin will be a true private club experience. Both TPC Summerlin and TPC Las Vegas are the two best conditioned courses in the valley. You can’t go wrong with either.

>

> Thanks, btw is The Summit open while still being constructed? I read where a few people had moved in but is it still being developed?

Yes, the club is open. The development of home only started within the last year and is several years from completion. Just a spectacular course.

> @ryu123 said:

> (Will comment only on the golf.) Played TPC Summerlin & Southern Highlands.

>

> SH is a challenging course in immaculate condition.

>

> Summerlin runs through a housing development & is average.

Thanks, I will try to see Southern Highlands, are there any other courses you like in that area or play?

Current "Bag of Tricks"

I will also agree that TPC Summerlin is also a very good course but not great. I personally think their are better public courses in Las Vegas. I have heard great things about Southern Highlands and have seen some amazing pictures of the Summit. These courses can all be 30 minutes to an hour away from each other. What part of town are you going to live in as that should matter a bit. Example(If you are in Henderson you would be 40-60 minutes to TPC Summerlin or the Summit depending on traffic)

> @ryu123 said:

> (Will comment only on the golf.) Played TPC Summerlin & Southern Highlands.

>

> SH is a challenging course in immaculate condition.

>

> Summerlin runs through a housing development & is average.

Agree with this, SH is indeed immaculate, and the greens are PURE. It doesn't feel as much like a typical Vegas/desert style course, which is a nice change of pace - lots of pine trees and a bit more secluded.

TPC Summerlin is not a course design I would want to play more than a few times a year, at best. I'll leave it at that.

I haven't been to The Summit, but it looks great from the pictures I've seen. It also costs a very pretty penny to join, fwiw. Social media seems to hint that it's becoming a more popular spot for the local PGA/LPGA pros that call Vegas home, so I would assume the golf and practice facilities are great.

While not private, Paiute has some local membership options available. If you're only looking for golf and don't need the other CC amenities, this would be another option I'd look at, as they have three 18-hole tracks, all of which are a lot of fun to play. No houses on the course, either, although there is quite a bit of development taking place nearby.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

> @bradski said:

> I will also agree that TPC Summerlin is also a very good course but not great. I personally think their are better public courses in Las Vegas. I have heard great things about Southern Highlands and have seen some amazing pictures of the Summit. These courses can all be 30 minutes to an hour away from each other. What part of town are you going to live in as that should matter a bit. Example(If you are in Henderson you would be 40-60 minutes to TPC Summerlin or the Summit depending on traffic)

I was considering living in the summerlin area so I can go to the course anytime, but I will be checking out the Henderson area also. I just checked Southern Highlands and it seems like they're 3x's the price of TPC Summerlin?

Current "Bag of Tricks"

> @drewtaylor21 said:

> > @ryu123 said:

> > (Will comment only on the golf.) Played TPC Summerlin & Southern Highlands.

> >

> > SH is a challenging course in immaculate condition.

> >

> > Summerlin runs through a housing development & is average.

>

> Agree with this, SH is indeed immaculate, and the greens are PURE. It doesn't feel as much like a typical Vegas/desert style course, which is a nice change of pace - lots of pine trees and a bit more secluded.

>

> TPC Summerlin is not a course design I would want to play more than a few times a year, at best. I'll leave it at that.

>

> I haven't been to The Summit, but it looks great from the pictures I've seen. It also costs a very pretty penny to join, fwiw. Social media seems to hint that it's becoming a more popular spot for the local PGA/LPGA pros that call Vegas home, so I would assume the golf and practice facilities are great.

>

> While not private, Paiute has some local membership options available. If you're only looking for golf and don't need the other CC amenities, this would be another option I'd look at, as they have three 18-hole tracks, all of which are a lot of fun to play. No houses on the course, either, although there is quite a bit of development taking place nearby.

Paiute does have a great deal going!

Current "Bag of Tricks"

> @bradski said:

> I have heard good things about south shore out at Lake Las Vegas. I'm not sure if anyone has experience but that is closer to the Henderson side. Did you look at the prices for The Summit? I would think they might have deals since they are still building around it.

>

Thank you to everyone on your replies!

I did look at the summit website and some of the prices and they are very expensive, but I will double check and also check on South shore when I get out there in a few weeks. BTW, since I will most likely be working at the strip, how is the traffic from the Henderson area? I've driven it in odd hours and it seemed quick but as a local is the transit heading to the strip from Henderson worse than from Summerlin (south)?

Current "Bag of Tricks"

Has anyone played the Canyon Gate courses?

Current "Bag of Tricks"

Traffic, I got from the south part of the strip to Reflection bay(way out there) in 28 minutes at 6am on a Monday and back at 11am around the same amount of time. There are definitely bad commutes there though. I recommend checking in the traffic maps some mornings and afternoons on google maps to get a feel for the traffic.

> @Haloha said:

> Has anyone played the Canyon Gate courses?

The Canyon Gate layouts are fantastic. The club has also invested a lot of money recently in the courses, practice facility and clubhouse. When I played there two weeks ago the conditions were some of the best I have experienced anywhere in the world. They do an excellent job.

I play in a 4 day tournament every summer in Vegas. The courses in the rotation are Southern Highlands, Anthem, Dragon Ridge, Reflection Bay, and both TPC courses.

I was sorry to hear Anthem is slipping as it was a fun course. I don’t care for Reflection Bay that much, but I do like both of the TPC courses. Dragon Ridge is a fun course and Southern Highlands is definitely top shelf. It chews me up every year and I’m not sure I would like playing it too often. Maybe I’d be able to figure it out but it is a tough course. I assume it is very pricey though.

Ping G400 Max Tour AD DI

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

> @bradski said:

> Traffic, I got from the south part of the strip to Reflection bay(way out there) in 28 minutes at 6am on a Monday and back at 11am around the same amount of time. There are definitely bad commutes there though. I recommend checking in the traffic maps some mornings and afternoons on google maps to get a feel for the traffic.

Thanks, I'm planning my next vacay to stay in the area's away from the strip to get a feel of the local traffic and see what real life commutes are like.

Current "Bag of Tricks"

> @LasVegas89134 said:

> > @Haloha said:

> > Has anyone played the Canyon Gate courses?

>

> The Canyon Gate layouts are fantastic. The club has also invested a lot of money recently in the courses, practice facility and clubhouse. When I played there two weeks ago the conditions were some of the best I have experienced anywhere in the world. They do an excellent job.

>

>

Thanks, I have a few friends here that are really recommending Canyon Gates so I will try to check it out. The only drawback is that its a ClubCorp course and I hear rumors that those courses are usually busy and worn down?

Current "Bag of Tricks"

> @RSinSG said:

> I play in a 4 day tournament every summer in Vegas. The courses in the rotation are Southern Highlands, Anthem, Dragon Ridge, Reflection Bay, and both TPC courses.

>

> I was sorry to hear Anthem is slipping as it was a fun course. I don’t care for Reflection Bay that much, but I do like both of the TPC courses. Dragon Ridge is a fun course and Southern Highlands is definitely top shelf. It chews me up every year and I’m not sure I would like playing it too often. Maybe I’d be able to figure it out but it is a tough course. I assume it is very pricey though.

Thanks for the info. You're like a pga pro playing 4 days of golf! I'll check these out as well!

Current "Bag of Tricks"

SPANISH TRAILS - A good friend highly recommends this course and area so will be checking it out as well. Anybody play the courses (27 holes)?

Current "Bag of Tricks"

TPC Summerlin is definitely the nicest "Club" in town if you care about amenities other than golf, but I am not a fan of the course. Always in excellent condition but the layout is very uninspired in my opinion.

TPC Las Vegas is not private but is always in amazing condition and has a much better layout. You obviously don't get the true private club environment, but if you're more interested in golf than the rest of the country club lifestyle, TPC Vegas is an excellent choice. Their "membership" program is excellent and very very fairly priced. TPC Vegas also has the best instructor in the state after Butch Harmon.

Southern Highlands is one of my favorite courses in town and has a great private club atmosphere. Definitely expensive.

Spanish Trail is one of my least favorite golf courses in town. It's an older development and has the country club vibe, but wouldn't be high on my list. Not a great layout at all and just not a very fun course for me.

> @Jerkeejoe said:

> TPC Summerlin is definitely the nicest "Club" in town if you care about amenities other than golf, but I am not a fan of the course. Always in excellent condition but the layout is very uninspired in my opinion.

>

> TPC Las Vegas is not private but is always in amazing condition and has a much better layout. You obviously don't get the true private club environment, but if you're more interested in golf than the rest of the country club lifestyle, TPC Vegas is an excellent choice. Their "membership" program is excellent and very very fairly priced. TPC Vegas also has the best instructor in the state after Butch Harmon.

>

> Southern Highlands is one of my favorite courses in town and has a great private club atmosphere. Definitely expensive.

>

> Spanish Trail is one of my least favorite golf courses in town. It's an older development and has the country club vibe, but wouldn't be high on my list. Not a great layout at all and just not a very fun course for me.

Thx for your input. Sorry for the late reply but I just got back, I have to say that the TPC Summerlin and TPC Las Vegas people were very accommodating and both courses were in great shape, and customer service was excellent! TPC Summerlin had new sand in their bunkers and they were excellent! Inbee Park was practicing while I was there as well as some other local pro's. Both courses greens were running at 11 - 12, and both courses are must play locations! Will have to check out Southern Highlands and Dragon Ridge next visit when I possibly relocate their.

TIA for anymore input!

• Like 1

Current "Bag of Tricks"

> @Haloha said:

> > @Jerkeejoe said:

> > TPC Summerlin is definitely the nicest "Club" in town if you care about amenities other than golf, but I am not a fan of the course. Always in excellent condition but the layout is very uninspired in my opinion.

> >

> > TPC Las Vegas is not private but is always in amazing condition and has a much better layout. You obviously don't get the true private club environment, but if you're more interested in golf than the rest of the country club lifestyle, TPC Vegas is an excellent choice. Their "membership" program is excellent and very very fairly priced. TPC Vegas also has the best instructor in the state after Butch Harmon.

> >

> > Southern Highlands is one of my favorite courses in town and has a great private club atmosphere. Definitely expensive.

> >

> > Spanish Trail is one of my least favorite golf courses in town. It's an older development and has the country club vibe, but wouldn't be high on my list. Not a great layout at all and just not a very fun course for me.

>

> Thx for your input. Sorry for the late reply but I just got back, I have to say that the TPC Summerlin and TPC Las Vegas people were very accommodating and both courses were in great shape, and customer service was excellent! TPC Summerlin had new sand in their bunkers and they were excellent! Inbee Park was practicing while I was there as well as some other local pro's. Both courses greens were running at 11 - 12, and both courses are must play locations! Will have to check out Southern Highlands and Dragon Ridge next visit when I possibly relocate their.

>

> TIA for anymore input!

So cool about seeing Inbee Park and our local pros! It’s rare to not see a PGA/LPGA player when I’m at either TPC Summerlin or TPC Las Vegas. I saw Tiger at TPC Summerlin late last month. Both courses are the two best Las Vegas has to offer and are constantly improving. Happy to hear you had a great time.