2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Second Hip Surgery. New Irons.

• 3 weeks later...

Great putters there - absolutely love BB's. That Del Mar's one of the best looking putters out there but the Newport's my favourite.

Taylormade Sim 10.5 - Tour AD GP 7X
Taylormade M3 15* - Kai'li 80X
GAPR Lo 2 iron - Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Taylormade P760, 4 - PW - Project XLZ 6.5
Vokey SM7 50F, 55M, 60D - Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport Beach 1.5 

[b][u][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/965589-chriswrightstuff-first-ever-witb/page__p__8603789#entry8603789"][color=#000000]WITB Link[/color][/url][/u][/b][/font]

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

Great putters there - absolutely love BB's. That Del Mar's one of the best looking putters out there

Yeah I love it, I don't think it's the easiest to putt with, if I'm putting well then it's great, but if I'm not it's terrible compared to the mallets I'm used to.

It would be nice if some OTR or limited putters came in that finish again.

Great putters there - absolutely love BB's. That Del Mar's one of the best looking putters out there

Yeah I love it, I don't think it's the easiest to putt with, if I'm putting well then it's great, but if I'm not it's terrible compared to the mallets I'm used to.

It would be nice if some OTR or limited putters came in that finish again.

Yeah I'd love to see that finish come back - having said that, I'd be happy with a Newport BB

Taylormade Sim 10.5 - Tour AD GP 7X
Taylormade M3 15* - Kai'li 80X
GAPR Lo 2 iron - Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Taylormade P760, 4 - PW - Project XLZ 6.5
Vokey SM7 50F, 55M, 60D - Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport Beach 1.5 

[b][u][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/965589-chriswrightstuff-first-ever-witb/page__p__8603789#entry8603789"][color=#000000]WITB Link[/color][/url][/u][/b][/font]

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Lined up the Buttonbacks. I'd quite like the My Girl from the same year, but they're really expensive and I should have probably got one when they came out.

27159744515_53538385c8_b.jpgIMG_1000 by Chazz Michael Michaels, on Flickr

26885363550_5107ae3780_b.jpgIMG_0999 by Chazz Michael Michaels, on Flickr

Love the ButtonBacks.

I've had two Newports over the years, but ended up letting them go. I went through a fitting and do really well with longer plumbers necks, so I'm currently rolling a TeI3 Newport LongNeck, but every time I see someone else's ButtonBack I get the itch.

I'm currently rolling a TeI3 Newport LongNeck, but every time I see someone else's ButtonBack I get the itch.

Yeah can't go past the Longneck, though a little light for everyday use for me. This is from a couple pages back...

30782782930_3684e58957_b.jpg20121030_175033 by Chazz Michael Michaels

30343198413_f50a0442d1_b.jpg20121030_175047 by Chazz Michael Michaels

Agreed. I don't think I could get any more lead tape on mine that I already have. Nice sticks man

• 3 weeks later...

New irons, scratch. Softer shaft for the driver, and old faithful to putt with.

How are you liking the irons?

I didn't have them very long and as I recall I played some terrible golf with them.

No new updates other than the driver. 917 D2 in 8.5. Uhmed and Ahhed about the loft, used to use 8.5, but more recently 9.5*. I'd used the demo head in 8.5* for several rounds and enjoyed it, so bought that loft. Shaft is the same as my old one, so no difference there. But intriguingly I am a little longer. There is a bunker at my course that I have flown into, or one hopped into with the 915. I have flown it twice with the 917. I suspect it's more of a case of a slightly stronger ball flight from less loft, but you never know.

I'm not tempted by the 3 woods, the 915 3 wood I have in 13.5 is such a weapon I don't want to change it. I do like the newer hybrids though, the colour mainly, I've only hit one once. But I hit my existing hybrid so rarely I'm in rush to change.

No new putters this month, missed out on the one I wanted and I put the Futura in the bag for nostalgia. And it very quickly reminded me why I bought it in the first place. From 20 feet in it's absolutely brilliant. I'm pretty sure it's also the first new putter I ever owned.

31523916196_4f21f2d234_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've been more than happy with the 917 but there has been a lot of noise about the Epic, and I've wanted another two ball for awhile. Our current greens are slow so need something with a bit more oomph.

And picked up another Oil Can, there's a lot of the original finish left, a few dings in the top line, but original headcover, shaft and grip. It really looks quite well looked after.

33122454071_202bf2ebe4_b.jpg

33094628562_02d660ae27_b.jpg

32406987644_ee77b9d615_b.jpg

32406988744_fb88626e50_b.jpg

33122456901_662e48012d_b.jpg

32436255483_8a40d2fc66_b.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've picked up a few putters, some new old wedges, some new wedges. I got all excited when I saw some Oil Can SM4s come up. Forgetting they were the new grooves rather than the old. So I used those for a little while instead of my SM5s, as also wanted to drop a wedge and put 3i in. So I had PW, 52, 58 instead of PW, 50, 55 and 62.

However when the brushed copper wedges were offered I've gone back to PW (which is now bent 1* stronger), 50, 54 and 58.

Used putters

34748608065_6c2ef3e3b4_b.jpg

New putter

34141687100_50d93f760a_b.jpg

Recent wedges

34653352832_803273d87a_b.jpg

New wedges

34683329671_22e805bcb5_b.jpg

34429641320_d7b32dd267_b.jpg

How did the Epic vs 917 conclude? Was one left battered and bruised in the green side bunker on 18?

Interestingly I had a Titleist fitting on a flightscope (I'd already bought the 917) but wanted to check to see what he would recommend. As I'd simply ordered the same shaft as my last and went down a degree.

Long story short the settings were fine and he got me hitting some heavier and stiffer shafts. After we were done I got the Epic out of my bag and said I wanted to see how it went. I hit two shots with it and he said it goes a little lower and yet carried a bit further. And then he said we were done. To be honest I was quite tired from hitting so many tee shots (we compared the 917 3w to my 915 as well) but it would've been interesting to compare the two drivers when I was a little fresher.

How did the Epic vs 917 conclude? Was one left battered and bruised in the green side bunker on 18?

Interestingly I had a Titleist fitting on a flightscope (I'd already bought the 917) but wanted to check to see what he would recommend. As I'd simply ordered the same shaft as my last and went down a degree.

Long story short the settings were fine and he got me hitting some heavier and stiffer shafts. After we were done I got the Epic out of my bag and said I wanted to see how it went. I hit two shots with it and he said it goes a little lower and yet carried a bit further. And then he said we were done. To be honest I was quite tired from hitting so many tee shots (we compared the 917 3w to my 915 as well) but it would've been interesting to compare the two drivers when I was a little fresher.

You were tired... launched lower... and you still carried it further... certified win for the epic right there!

One thing I have always liked about the Titleist drivers is how straight they are. Very playable. I have hit other drivers further but not as consistently. Did you compare the Rogue Max with your Rogue Silver? I hit the RM in both the D3 and the Epic SZ and loved it. Mid flight, penetrating and very consistent.

G430 LST 9*
G15 17.5*
G425 19*
W/S Blade 3-P
S22 51* Zipcore 56* S20 60*
Sigma 2 Arna Stealth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I'd been pretty disciplined, the putter collection (obsession?) continues to grow but most aren't photo worthy.

The irons are new.

AP3 in 4i and 5i, AP2 in 6i-9i, and another Vokey in 46. It's been a really easy adjustment other than they're a little hot. It's the first time in awhile that I've used Project X shafts, but I've not noticed anything so that has to be good. I like the putter, I'm resigned to the fact that I'll be using more 'user friendly' putters for the time being (mallets).

The AP3 are god damn rocket ships, they are really fun to hit.

So that ought to do me for the next two years. Unless Bridgestone drops their pants on prices.

27147707109_6e33e524b3_b.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

So I hadn't updated this in while. I've been using the Mizuno's since they were released, and changed wedges too. I think my woods are all TS2 variants now, I used all the shafts from 917 etc and never hit the driver shaft I was fit for (Hazardous Smoke I think). A few new putters here and there, but apart from one outstanding round it's the usual throwaway shots during a round. But I did hit thirteen greens in a row the other day. Even my playing partners asked what I'd done with the real Mudguard.

7S4V0RWAPRCO.jpg

3CLHB4CI0IHA.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well an update. Broken hip still giving me grief so I'll have to make a decision on that, the repair isn't holding up. Anyway, a change of irons to bring in the summer. 

T200 in the 4i and 5i

T100s in the 6i and recently added the 48 as well. I wasn't keen on a Vokey in that loft.

54 is bent to 53 and 58 with a different grind to normal

I don't think my woods have changed and I've been using the putter for quite awhile now which is progress for me. 

A6608694.jpg

DSC02660.jpg

Edited by Mudguard
  • Like 2

• Mudguard changed the title to MP20s gone. Back to Titleist. Stay upright on your mountainbike kids.
  • 2 years later...

Well time flies. New irons, new wedges (changed the grinds) and probably the same putter. Another hip surgery, but instead of six months on crutches it was only three days. So that was an improvement.

I can't honestly tell much of a difference between the T200/T100S and these T200/T150. But oh well. I ditched the Vokey 48 as well and got a T150 version as there was too much of a gap between the T150 44 and a Vokey 48. 

Interestingly I went back to the start of my thread and the pics have gone?

T150.jpg

20240217_151908.jpg

Edited by Mudguard
  • Like 3

• Mudguard changed the title to Second Hip Surgery. New Irons.