The Putter Grip: One Make & Model Only, Or A Grip's A Grip?

EmperorPenguin

Through my thirty years of playing golf, I feel that I putt best with only two grips: a Ping P58 or Golf Pride's Tour Tradition, which is an imitation of it. I am adding some new putters to my arsenal, but as they come in they come with various other makes and models of grips that are not my favorite grips. One grip is a Winn AVS Midsize and I missed a few putts with it. I sometimes wonder if the grip is the problem, or if I just had a bad putting stroke that day. Looking back, I have had rounds with my favorite grips where I three-putted a couple times.

I started this thread because I remember seeing a picture of Tiger Woods lining a putt in the 2000 PGA Championship at Valhalla. He had his Scotty putter, but the grip was a Ping P58. I read somewhere that he prefers P58's that are blacked out.

Do you guys think that the putter grip makes a world of difference? I sometimes wonder if there are some guys here who take the position that a grip is a grip, and they don't putt any better or worse with or without a particular grip.

I have found that I can put with any grip.... for a bit. Then I am absolutely going to put on a Pingman grip. Perhaps this is because it's a grip that goes back longer than I've been playing this game, but it fits me. I had success with the Pistolini in a Scotty I had, but it is very close to the Pingman. In fact, that may be the only grip that didn't eventually give way to the Pingman.

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

I seem to go through phases. Two years ago, all my putters had Lamkin Sinks on them, then I decided I couldn’t putt with that and I moved to a Flatso 1.0. I’ve been in that phase ever since and it seems it will be here a while. I don’t know if they actually make a difference, but for me it’s just a mental thing. One less variable to worry about.

Putter's are somewhat of a mystery, you can try really, really, really hard to replicate the feel and confidence one in particular gives you, but for one reason or another, it's nearly an impossible task to recreate. The more off the beaten path you go from standard makes this exponentially harder to duplicate. When ever you find "one" that just works, it's best to hang onto it unless you absolutely have to part ways with it.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Used to always have smaller diameter flat front grips on all my putters, but when i bought my sc it had a superstroke flatso ultra on it that was old, and i loved the feel and finished the season with the old discolored thing. Then this year i replaced it with the current equivalent which is the flatso 1.0. Love the feel and texture, size is perfect in my hands, and I feel the slightly larger size grips keeps the face square as you have less "twist" going on. Just my interpretation.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

For the first seventeen years of my golfing life I used a Bulls Eye putter with a Kelmac "Jumbo" grip, which by today's standards is now a midsize grip. I loved that grip so much I bought a few of them. I experimented with different grips, and on a clearance sale at a golf discount store I bought a dozen or so Golf Pride Traction Action putter grips. I fiddled around with a few putters with that grip and I figured that the grip was too thin; also, I did not particularly like the perfectly flat topside. I ended up selling the Traction Action grips online, and without any seller's remorse. The Ping P58 is a touch larger, and I like the slight contour of the top and how it fits perfectly in the palms. At first I did not like the skinny grip compared to the midsize grip, but I got used to it and I suppose my hands feel most comfortable with the P58, and I feel that my distance control is best with that grip, hence from that point I stocked up on P58's. The local discount store was having a sale of Tour Tradition grips for only $5, so I loaded up on those and found no difference between that and the P58, so those type of grips are my favorites.

Fast-forward to last week when I tried putting with that midsize Winn grip and after missing four or five short putts I wonder if it is the grip or is it me? That's why I started this thread, that maybe one of us here has a plethora of putters, all with varying grips, and putting about the same with any of them, regardless of grip.

I currently use the Ping PP58 Midsize Cord on my putter. It's been the main grip on my putter for the past 3 years. I like the shape and the cord, but I hate how slick the putter feels after a few months of heavy use. I keep the putter grip clean, but it still gets slicker than I'd like. I'm tempted to try out the Golf Pride Tour Classic in midsize on my putter, or a Midsize Winn of some sort. I've used Iomic putter grips in the past and liked them as well.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17.25* (Motore F1 7s); 21* Callaway UW (Attas T2 8S); Adams Super 9031 23* (Recoil Prototype Utility 110 F4)
Irons: 5-PW Srixon ZX7 MKII (KBS 120 $ Taper)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

One make one model would be a preferential, but I’m the type who likes to try new things. Having small hands limits me to thinner grips. I have putted well using squarish grips ( on 3 corners) as I tend to extend my trigger finger on the side at times. Ping, Iomic, Golf Pride tour, Pistolini, Jop or the like works well as I like the shape & feel of the materials used. Any other, I tend to make adjustments and throws me off the line.

> @Ivyguy said:

> I've alternated between a pp58 and a standard iron grip.

Standard iron grip? You mean like a round grip?

ETA: Ping P58 for me. I use the same until it starts to fall apart. One of the few things Tiger and I have in common is we both use the normal Pingman grips and black out the logo with a sharpie if it's not a Ping putter. I swear that the blackout grips have a slightly different shape. Just enough to be noticeable.

Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Ping Anser 85029 Dalehead
Srixon Z-Star or Q-Star tour depending on conditions

I will only use the Iomic Absolute-X putter grip. Feels great, lasts forever.

D - Ping G430 LST 9-degree, Kai'li 60S
3W - Ping G400 Stretch 13-degree, Alta 65S

5W - Ping G425 17.5-degree, Alta 65S
Hy - Ping G400 22-degree, Alta 70S
5-U - Ping i230, Aerotech Steelfiber i95
54- Ping Glide Pro Forged
59- Ping Glide Pro Forged Eye toe
P - Scotty Cameron Teryllium T22 Fastback 1.5

> @ratdg1 said:

> > @Ivyguy said:

> > I've alternated between a pp58 and a standard iron grip.

> Standard iron grip? You mean like a round grip?

>

> ETA: Ping P58 for me. I use the same until it starts to fall apart. One of the few things Tiger and I have in common is we both use the normal Pingman grips and black out the logo with a sharpie if it's not a Ping putter. I swear that the blackout grips have a slightly different shape. Just enough to be noticeable.

The blackout and normal are exactly the same. ^^^^

Ping G410 Driver

TM 200 Steel 3W

Lynx Parallax 3-SW

Ping Eye 2 SW

Nike VR Forged 60

Maltby PTM 1

I prefer a small grip like the Pingman, or a paddle grip like the Lamkins. One thing I absolutely hate is a SuperStroke, I find them too large and I can't stand the material/texture. The worst part is that the majority of putters lately seem to come with SuperStrokes as stock. I try a lot of putters, so I've cut quite a few $25 SuperStroke grips off and thrown them in the trash.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @brew4eagle said:

> I prefer a small grip like the Pingman, or a paddle grip like the Lamkins. One thing I absolutely hate is a SuperStroke, I find them too large and I can't stand the material/texture. The worst part is that the majority of putters lately seem to come with SuperStrokes as stock. I try a lot of putters, so I've cut quite a few $25 SuperStroke grips off and thrown them in the trash.

I completely agree with you about the SuperStroke grips as far as the material/texture of them. I've tried one on a putter before, and it lasted 1 round of golf. The new Traxion grips feel way better, but I don't see myself putting one on my putter.

I switched out the PP58 Midsize Cord to the Midsize Golf Pride Tour Classic last night. I'll roll some putts with it at home tonight, and hopefully on a putting green Friday or Saturday before going out of town.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17.25* (Motore F1 7s); 21* Callaway UW (Attas T2 8S); Adams Super 9031 23* (Recoil Prototype Utility 110 F4)
Irons: 5-PW Srixon ZX7 MKII (KBS 120 $ Taper)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I have both the standard P58 as well as the blacked-out P58's in hand and I fail to see any visible differences. I remember reading somewhere that Tiger takes standard P58's and soaks them in acetone, I guess to remove the paint, so maybe there is a slight difference between the P58 and the blacked-out P58.

I think that maybe instead of a particular make and model grip, what matters is the specs of the grip, specifically the weight and diameter of the grip. As long as those are consistent, the make and model are secondary.

> @ratdg1 said:

> > @Ivyguy said:

> > I've alternated between a pp58 and a standard iron grip.

> Standard iron grip? You mean like a round grip?

>

> ETA: Ping P58 for me. I use the same until it starts to fall apart. One of the few things Tiger and I have in common is we both use the normal Pingman grips and black out the logo with a sharpie if it's not a Ping putter. I swear that the blackout grips have a slightly different shape. Just enough to be noticeable.

Yup, an iron grip. I read a blog post by Mr. Edel and he said that the larger squared off grips work for some but rounded grips can have benefits too. I really liked it on my 8802 and my anser 2s.

I've been chasing the perfect grip for about 2 years. Pistolero, Garsen Max, Winn Pro X, SS Pistol GT 2.0, SS Pistol GT 1.0, SS Pistol GT Tour, SS Claw, SS Squared, Winn AVS Jumbo, Iomic, and probably a few others that I'm forgetting.

Right now I've settled into the Winn AVS Jumbo (and the Ody-branded version of it) on the two putters that I've been playing most often. If I could have back all the time/money I've paid for grips and putters in the past few years, I could've probably had a SAM Puttlab fitting and a custom-made putter.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I have paragraphs to say about this, but I'll keep it short. I would love to play the smallest grip I can find...PP58 or Studio Design. However, I have other variables in my putter setup that make those grips too light. I play 340g heads at 35.5" and I want to get the swing weight as low as possible without having a huge grip. So for me right now, it's the black Pistolini. It doesn't feel huge, but it's almost 20g heavier than Studio Designs and PP58...which saves me about five swing weights alone.

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

Been using the same for years, Red Cameron Studio grip, as skinny as they come with tons of feedback.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

> @towncryer said:

> I have paragraphs to say about this, but I'll keep it short. I would love to play the smallest grip I can find...PP58 or Studio Design. However, I have other variables in my putter setup that make those grips too light. I play 340g heads at 35.5" and I want to get the swing weight as low as possible without having a huge grip. So for me right now, it's the black Pistolini. It doesn't feel huge, but it's almost 20g heavier than Studio Designs and PP58...which saves me about five swing weights alone.

>

Ever try the Golf Pride Traction Action putter grip? To me that's the smallest I've ever come across. So small I often find myself building up an extra layer of painter's tape under the two-sided tape just so it can fit.

> @EmperorPenguin said:

> > @towncryer said:

> > I have paragraphs to say about this, but I'll keep it short. I would love to play the smallest grip I can find...PP58 or Studio Design. However, I have other variables in my putter setup that make those grips too light. I play 340g heads at 35.5" and I want to get the swing weight as low as possible without having a huge grip. So for me right now, it's the black Pistolini. It doesn't feel huge, but it's almost 20g heavier than Studio Designs and PP58...which saves me about five swing weights alone.

> >

> Ever try the Golf Pride Traction Action putter grip? To me that's the smallest I've ever come across. So small I often find myself building up an extra layer of painter's tape under the two-sided tape just so it can fit.

>

Is that the "PRO ONLY" grip? I've not ever had it on a putter...I think it's really similar to the Tour Tradition, which is a 58g grip. Too light to play on a 340g putter at 35.5" for me...but I do like the Tour Tradition quite a bit.

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

For me it's a mixed bag of putter grips, I'm mainly trying a bunch at the moment and here is what I have installed or sitting around:

* Edel Round

* P2 React Tour

* Super Stroke Mid

* Garsen Max

* Lamkin Jumbo (From Bettinardi)

* Pure Jumbo aka Big Dog.

I'm still looking for that one perfect grip.

> @Ivyguy said:

> > @ratdg1 said:

> > > @Ivyguy said:

> > > I've alternated between a pp58 and a standard iron grip.

> > Standard iron grip? You mean like a round grip?

> >

> > ETA: Ping P58 for me. I use the same until it starts to fall apart. One of the few things Tiger and I have in common is we both use the normal Pingman grips and black out the logo with a sharpie if it's not a Ping putter. I swear that the blackout grips have a slightly different shape. Just enough to be noticeable.

>

> Yup, an iron grip. I read a blog post by Mr. Edel and he said that the larger squared off grips work for some but rounded grips can have benefits too. I really liked it on my 8802 and my anser 2s.

Edel's Rounded grip is interesting, I have it on my putter. It's a Pure Grip, pretty much one of their iron grips just in jump/oversize with zero taper. Felt odd during the fitting but took like 5min to get use to it since the shape is so familiar to all golfers. So far zero complaints on it maybe wish it was a touch thicker but i have large hands.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

> @towncryer said:

> Is that the "PRO ONLY" grip? I've not ever had it on a putter...I think it's really similar to the Tour Tradition, which is a 58g grip. Too light to play on a 340g putter at 35.5" for me...but I do like the Tour Tradition quite a bit.

Yes, the "PRO ONLY" is the Traction Action. It is much different from the Tour Tradition in that the flat top is straight; the Tour Tradition flat top is arched, contoured to fit in the palm of your hand. Just hold up the Tour Tradition to the side and look at the top side and you will see for yourself. The Ping P58 has the same contour on the flat top, hence the identical grip with the Tour Tradition.

I’m “in love” with about 15 different types of putter grips ranging from the Ping blackout to Superstroke to those old school Tiger Shark jumbo hot dog sized grips. But not a fan of the “paddle” style that Winn popularized.

Ping G430 10K w/ Black Tour 2.0 65X, 75X, or GDBB 6X

Ping G425 LST 3W Atmos Black 7X

Ping iCrossover 2 Atmos Black 9X or G425 5W GDBB8X/Atmos Black 8X or G425 2H Atmos Black HB 9X 

Ping iCrossover 3 (20º) AMT White S300 or ZZ65 or Atmos Black 9X

Ping i230 4-6 green dot, Blueprint S 7, Blueprint T 8, 9  AMT White S300

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 46ºSS, 50º SS, 54º ES, 58º ES TI S400

Putter - depends on the phase of the moon

Caddy - Snacks the Wheaten

• 1 month later...

I always tend to like grips that are next to impossible to get, haha. First it was the SuperStroke 1.0P (which I have on a CLN) but now it is the Baby T. I have lucked out and bought a couple putters recently that already had them, it was a big factor in buying them to begin with. So I have 5 or 6 Baby T grips and 1 with the SS. The Baby T just seems to fit my hand perfectly, I have tried other similar styles but nothing feels like the original.