2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How I learned to stop worrying and love single-length irons

pinestreetgolf

I've been one of the biggest detractors of SL on this forum, pretty consistently. I will play them this season. I wanted to share what I learned and why I think you should try them.

First, I made a mistake I am constantly on others for making. I thought all-or-none. The whole "same stance, same swing, same plane" thing isn't true. However, I decided that since one of them wasn't true (if the lie changes, it all changes) then none of it was true. That was dumb. Its about 80% true, and that is a lot. What i mean by that is that I struggle with ball position. Now I don't. The club always feels the same, so you always just sort of start lining up the same all the time. Its hard to describe, exactly. When my ball position creeps back I start to get stuck. Now it doesn't creep back. I grab the club, and the address position feels natural and easy.

Second, I made the mistake of thinking yardage gaps have to be consistent to be useful. They don't. As my SL set tends towards its extremes, my gaps get larger. My 5 iron isn't 10 yards behind my 6. But I know how far it is behind my six and i know i hit the center more often, so *effectively*, because I get much better contact, my gap is much more consistent even though it is smaller.

Third, I learned to hit a hybrid. I play them through 4 iron. I cannot get a SL 4 iron off the ground consistently, but my gaggle of G30 hybrids from 2nd swing is fantastic.

Fourth, I kept my PM Grind for in and around the green complex.

Fifth, it makes practice MUCH more effective. Swap them out all the time. Hit a 6, hit a SW, hit a 9, hit a 7, rapid fire.

It took me a long time to get used to them, but the two massive pros are the setup/stance and practice. You set up the same way almost instinctively and that is HUGE. I also feel like I get a ton more out of practice AND that my practice feels like the course a lot more.

There are some drawbacks. I found three specialty shots I had to add clubs at top and bottom to pull off:

1. A short-game only club, like a PM Grind.

2. Where the last SL doesn't get airborne anymore. I used 3 hybrids below it. They hit middles of greens.

3. Ground balls - I can't punch out nearly as well with a SL 5 as a CB 3 or 4. I've learned to use my driver on this shot.

If you are thinking about something new for irons and have some cash I would recommend trying SL. It grew on me. I was wrong about it. The key is to stick with it. Just throw them in the bag for two months and when practicing switch up irons constantly - do NOT just bang one iron with an SL set.

Finally, either get fit or play with lie angle alot. Mine are +3 up and I'm only 6'. Feel great, dead even dirt line. But since they are all the same, they better be right.

Just my thoughts on SL. They'll be in my bag for the May - Sept. tournaments. I would highly recommend 1. ignoring my earlier posts on them and 2. trying them.

PSG

• Like 1

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

OP I love how you summed everything up. I made the switch a little over 2 years ago and have made huge improvements. At times I think about going back to variable length irons because of the offerings, but OL is so repeatable and I feel I may go backwards and need to relearn some things.

Signature!

Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

• Like 3

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

Funny. My pro talked me out of it. I was going to just do it and not look back. I just need some consistency man! LOL

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

PSG

Great post, thx for sharing

What length are you at? Swingweight? Pics?

I made some major changes in the off-season as well.

Pseudo MOI, 3/8" spacing from 5 to 9 iron then 1/4" to PW then 1/4" per W to LW .. and graphite

loving it. Shorter 5 and 6 are way easier to hit as are the longer wedges. Progressive swingweights always agreed with me

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @tbowles411 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

>

> Funny. My pro talked me out of it. I was going to just do it and not look back. I just need some consistency man! LOL

Results don't lie TB. Index is down 5 shots since last September, GIR is up 4 per round and with the Arccos data you know exactly how far you hit each club and what's the max you can get out of an iron. I struggled last year and have 100% more confidence. I love the simplicity of every normal shot having the ball position exactly the same, having the same stance, etc.

• Like 1

Pine,

after many of your other thoughts during the sl vs vl debate, welcome aboard, I have still found I do like a specialty wedge a bit shorter, my edels are 37 my one true wedge is 36. You should try minimalist single length for an entertaining day!

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

@pinestreetgolf

Pine, if you don't mind sharing, what prompted you to give single length a try, that has you now committing to them?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Glad to read it. I used to get mad that you were so strongly opposed when you had not played them. :smile:

Some people get hung up on thinking that they aren't supposed to have a shorter wedge. I kept one, no big deal. As to hybrids, that's no biggie either. I mean, it'd be great if we could get good results with 13 clubs the same length, but that's just not possible. Having SL irons is a huge simplification of the game, regardless of the rest of the bag.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I have standard lengths up through 8i. Then 7 and 6 are SL with the 8i as the guide. I did this because...I was killing the P, 9 and 8. Just dialed in. Happy grin whenever I had those distances. Was using the 8i for up to 160y shots. Which is too far, really. I had to swing out of my shoes and it took perfect contact to do. A proper swing was just under 150y.

But I just could not for the life of me get the 6 and 7 irons working. On a hunch, I cut down the 7, adjusted the lie and added some lead tape (Ping G irons). 160y with a PW swing. Then did the 6i.

So, I have SL in 6, 7, 8. That's it. Three clubs.

5 is a hybrid and I see no reason to change. Don't see a need to mess with PW-down either.

Still have to learn to hit them all straight, but I get consistent contact and distances and that makes the game fun again.

• Like 1

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> I've been one of the biggest detractors of SL on this forum, pretty consistently. I will play them this season. I wanted to share what I learned and why I think you should try them.

> First, I made a mistake I am constantly on others for making. I thought all-or-none. The whole "same stance, same swing, same plane" thing isn't true. However, I decided that since one of them wasn't true (if the lie changes, it all changes) then none of it was true. That was dumb. Its about 80% true, and that is a lot. What i mean by that is that I struggle with ball position. Now I don't. The club always feels the same, so you always just sort of start lining up the same all the time. Its hard to describe, exactly. When my ball position creeps back I start to get stuck. Now it doesn't creep back. I grab the club, and the address position feels natural and easy.

> Second, I made the mistake of thinking yardage gaps have to be consistent to be useful. They don't. As my SL set tends towards its extremes, my gaps get larger. My 5 iron isn't 10 yards behind my 6. But I know how far it is behind my six and i know i hit the center more often, so *effectively*, because I get much better contact, my gap is much more consistent even though it is smaller.

> Third, I learned to hit a hybrid. I play them through 4 iron. I cannot get a SL 4 iron off the ground consistently, but my gaggle of G30 hybrids from 2nd swing is fantastic.

> Fourth, I kept my PM Grind for in and around the green complex.

> Fifth, it makes practice MUCH more effective. Swap them out all the time. Hit a 6, hit a SW, hit a 9, hit a 7, rapid fire.

>

> It took me a long time to get used to them, but the two massive pros are the setup/stance and practice. You set up the same way almost instinctively and that is HUGE. I also feel like I get a ton more out of practice AND that my practice feels like the course a lot more.

>

> There are some drawbacks. I found three specialty shots I had to add clubs at top and bottom to pull off:

> 1. A short-game only club, like a PM Grind.

> 2. Where the last SL doesn't get airborne anymore. I used 3 hybrids below it. They hit middles of greens.

> 3. Ground balls - I can't punch out nearly as well with a SL 5 as a CB 3 or 4. I've learned to use my driver on this shot.

>

> If you are thinking about something new for irons and have some cash I would recommend trying SL. It grew on me. I was wrong about it. The key is to stick with it. Just throw them in the bag for two months and when practicing switch up irons constantly - do NOT just bang one iron with an SL set.

> Finally, either get fit or play with lie angle alot. Mine are +3 up and I'm only 6'. Feel great, dead even dirt line. But since they are all the same, they better be right.

>

> Just my thoughts on SL. They'll be in my bag for the May - Sept. tournaments. I would highly recommend 1. ignoring my earlier posts on them and 2. trying them.

>

> PSG

Yep, give it a couple months for the concept to take hold. First get them fit to you. Second be patient with the mental approach. Third simplify the setup but dont be afraid of making the shot.

Club Fitter/Builder (Wishon)

719MW  11* Red R Shaft - 919THI 11* Black S 65 shaft 
EQ1-NX 3, 927HS 5, 7 woods Red R-Flex
797HS 4 & 5 Red R Shaft 
585's, EQ1-NX, 550 combo, 575's, 565's various shafts
20+ wedges!

Wishon Cavity Black CB4 putter

Willy, Bridgy, Srixy Balls

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @tbowles411 said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

> >

> > Funny. My pro talked me out of it. I was going to just do it and not look back. I just need some consistency man! LOL

>

> Results don't lie TB. Index is down 5 shots since last September, GIR is up 4 per round and with the Arccos data you know exactly how far you hit each club and what's the max you can get out of an iron. I struggled last year and have 100% more confidence. I love the simplicity of every normal shot having the ball position exactly the same, having the same stance, etc.

I wonder if someone could retrofit my Mizunos to SL?

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

DP!!!! You're now in the SL club, eh? Hope all is well with you friend and the courses around Chicago are open!

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

> @hayzooos said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

>

> DP!!!! You're now in the SL club, eh? Hope all is well with you friend and the courses around Chicago are open!

Hey HZ...how are you? How's life in the land of Cheese and Beer? Are you getting to play much? I joined the dark side...won't be looking back...for a while! Let me know if you ever get back down this way.

> @tbowles411 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @tbowles411 said:

> > > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

> > >

> > > Funny. My pro talked me out of it. I was going to just do it and not look back. I just need some consistency man! LOL

> >

> > Results don't lie TB. Index is down 5 shots since last September, GIR is up 4 per round and with the Arccos data you know exactly how far you hit each club and what's the max you can get out of an iron. I struggled last year and have 100% more confidence. I love the simplicity of every normal shot having the ball position exactly the same, having the same stance, etc.

> I wonder if someone could retrofit my Mizunos to SL?

> @tbowles411 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @tbowles411 said:

> > > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > > Great write up and congrats on the success. I made the change last September after a horrendously disappointing year. The bottom of the bag has non-SL clubs as does the top. I was a hybrid guy, playing a 3-7h before SL. Can honestly say they have made a huge difference. The index is down, the GIR is up and the simplicity of playing every shot the same is wonderful. Even went as far as ordering a 4i and I can't remember the last time I played a 4i. Because of more consistent contact with the center of the face, I've picked up at least a 1/2 club on every shot. Huge fan and I can't see leaving the concept...well...until some other new wacky idea is proven to help shoot lower scores.

> > >

> > > Funny. My pro talked me out of it. I was going to just do it and not look back. I just need some consistency man! LOL

> >

> > Results don't lie TB. Index is down 5 shots since last September, GIR is up 4 per round and with the Arccos data you know exactly how far you hit each club and what's the max you can get out of an iron. I struggled last year and have 100% more confidence. I love the simplicity of every normal shot having the ball position exactly the same, having the same stance, etc.

> I wonder if someone could retrofit my Mizunos to SL?

That's beyond my paygrade TB but the heads have very different shapes and weights. The longer irons have heads that weight more to increase speed and distance while compensating for the length. The GW is a blade which is crazy, too.

> @cardoustie said:

> PSG

> Great post, thx for sharing

> What length are you at? Swingweight? Pics?

> I made some major changes in the off-season as well.

> Pseudo MOI, 3/8" spacing from 5 to 9 iron then 1/4" to PW then 1/4" per W to LW .. and graphite

> loving it. Shorter 5 and 6 are way easier to hit as are the longer wedges. Progressive swingweights always agreed with me

I don't know the swingweight, but I suspect its around D3. They are all exactly 37", Integra clone grips, Apollo stiff stepless shafts. A very budget-y steup. 65.25 lie, which is a bit upright for me, but they are pretty good feeling after playing with them a while.

I'll grab a pic tonight. They look great in the bag, and they hunt pins. Hybrids hit to the middle, SLs hunt pins. It makes the decision of where to aim much easier. Its not nearly as much of a gradual scale in accuracy from longest iron to shortest.

I thought longer wedges would be harder but they are easier. They are also easier for low shots around the green. That said, I have to keep practicing or keep my PM grind because i can't hit high quick-stopper or a bunker shot with SL lob wedge to save my life.

I'm currently playing G30 Driver, 3-4-5 G30 hybrids, 5-SW SL (even though 5 SL and 5 hybrid are both the same loft, they hybrid is 10 yards longer), 64 PM grind and putter. I'd love to lose the PM for a SL LW, though. I am on the fence between a fourth hybrid (the 2 hybrid) and the G30 3 wood. I used to play Z-Star XV because of club speed putting to much spin and now I play V1s.

> @NRJyzr said:

> @pinestreetgolf

>

> Pine, if you don't mind sharing, what prompted you to give single length a try, that has you now committing to them?

Randomness, to be honest. I tried them a few times but it wasn't nearly enough to get used to them. Then I saw a local CL ad with a set of PinHawks with cheap Apollo senior flex shafts for a mind-bogglingly low price (sub $75). Snatched them up. I immediately changed the grips and the label on the butt of the 6 iron said Stiff not Senior. This was around late November last year. I play the usual middle-aged-guy-who-can-it-decently-far-trying-to-get-lucky amateur tournaments (USGA qualifiers, state am, mid am, match and stroke club champs). These all happen from May to late October, so the rest of the year is kind-of mess around time. I threw the SLs in the bag for the j40s and decided just to try it out for a while, at least until I had to start "tuning up" for the "season". Turns out, after about 60 days, I started to hit more greens. I lost about a club per iron but gained a whole lot in strike quality, I think because of set up.

The clincher was a round on the City Park South Course practicing for the State Am. I hit 9 greens and shot 36 *and it didn't feel like an event* it just felt normal. That was the clincher for me, that round. They are middle of the green machines.

They do require a lot of other stuff, though. I had to switch to a much higher spin ball for the short and intermediate wedge game, etc... But if you put in the work they are very, very consistent in terms of strike and flight.

Anyway, I wanted to post because i was a vociferous opponent of SL before based on week or two week try outs, and it doesn't work that way. Its not like subbing in another VL iron set. Its a totally new way to play but i think its a better one especially in tournaments where 67-74 can win. This set is cool but I've already ordered lighter shafts and I will get real golf pride NDMCs instead of the clones. I'm 99% sticking with the PinHawk heads now that I'm use the offset.

Yesterday I walked nine, hit seven greens, flew a wedge shot from 84 (<-infuriating) and was pin high on the other missed green just into the rough. Its just so consistent its mind-boggling. I considered myself a good iron player before but its nowhere near as easy when its always the same. Greens are big. If you hit it hard and straight and think chances are you'll end up coming to rest somewhere on one.

Edit:

I am grabbing quotes from custom head-makers to make a SL set of my beloved j40 heads (same weight, offset, look, size, everything... just all 265 grams and 63.5 lie). Very expensive though, so I think I'll be with the PinHawks for a while until I know I want to commit to something like that.

• Like 2

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Really on the surface your set is not much different than mine

Glad to see you worked your way into something that works

Stay with the PM lob. A good "outlier/specialty club" plan IMO

I hear you on the hybrids, The Cally Apex I favor are so easy to hit compared to equivalent irons

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Great write up ...

I wanted to love my Cobras SO MUCH ... but I couldn't. Wish I had read this before selling 'em.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Thanks for the post. I am in the earliest stages of my single length journey. I am enjoying it. Hitting some good shots. Hitting some dreadful shots, but they have nothing to do with the single length feature. Right now it's all about trusting the distances, which is going to take some time. This time of year in the northeast we have lots of wind, and wet courses.

Today I tagged my 4h which would normally be a 175 yard shot. I tried to hit it 150 into a stiff wind. It went 130, and I nailed it. So trying to figure the distance on these new clubs right now is hopeless. I'm just trying to make the same swing with all of them.. It's really weird.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

> @Lodestone said:

> Thanks for the post. I am in the earliest stages of my single length journey. I am enjoying it. Hitting some good shots. Hitting some dreadful shots, but they have nothing to do with the single length feature. Right now it's all about trusting the distances, which is going to take some time. This time of year in the northeast we have lots of wind, and wet courses.

> Today I tagged my 4h which would normally be a 175 yard shot. I tried to hit it 150 into a stiff wind. It went 130, and I nailed it. So trying to figure the distance on these new clubs right now is hopeless. I'm just trying to make the same swing with all of them.. It's really weird.

You shouldn't try to make the same swing with all of them. That's the trick. Like, if you signed your name twice fast they would both look similar but if you signed once and then tried to painstakingly copy that signature exactly it would be hard. You still have to play golf with SL. Twilight round, missed right on 5 at same course city park south, deep rough but clear shot from 145. Hit a punch 6. You still have to play golf.

Its same setup and stance, not same swing, IMO. Again, IMO. Its still golf and you still need to fit the swing to the shot. You don't swing your 8 iron the same way with a VL set, so you don't swing all SL clubs the same.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I still play normal length wedges with my SL's, but if I ever went back to VL I think I'd try a 3-tiered combo set with 4-6 at 5i length, 7-9 at 8i length, and standard length wedges. I think that would help the long iron distance & gapping and the short iron accuracy, which are my only concerns with SL. But the longer I use my SL's, the more resistant I become to changing so I could end up playing my current set for quite a while.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

> @Mych said:

> I still play normal length wedges with my SL's, but if I ever went back to VL I think I'd try a 3-tiered combo set with 4-6 at 5i length, 7-9 at 8i length, and standard length wedges. I think that would help the long iron distance & gapping and the short iron accuracy, which are my only concerns with SL. But the longer I use my SL's, the more resistant I become to changing so I could end up playing my current set for quite a while.

The difference in effectiveness in practice is massive. Its helpful to 10 clubs, not 1, when you do drill on the range. I'd worry about losing that with a tier'd set.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > @Lodestone said:

> > Thanks for the post. I am in the earliest stages of my single length journey. I am enjoying it. Hitting some good shots. Hitting some dreadful shots, but they have nothing to do with the single length feature. Right now it's all about trusting the distances, which is going to take some time. This time of year in the northeast we have lots of wind, and wet courses.

> > Today I tagged my 4h which would normally be a 175 yard shot. I tried to hit it 150 into a stiff wind. It went 130, and I nailed it. So trying to figure the distance on these new clubs right now is hopeless. I'm just trying to make the same swing with all of them.. It's really weird.

>

> You shouldn't try to make the same swing with all of them. That's the trick. Like, if you signed your name twice fast they would both look similar but if you signed once and then tried to painstakingly copy that signature exactly it would be hard. You still have to play golf with SL. Twilight round, missed right on 5 at same course city park south, deep rough but clear shot from 145. Hit a punch 6. You still have to play golf.

>

> Its same setup and stance, not same swing, IMO. Again, IMO. Its still golf and you still need to fit the swing to the shot. You don't swing your 8 iron the same way with a VL set, so you don't swing all SL clubs the same.

OK, I see your point. But if you were facing a shot that was your 5 iron dead on number, the number that you feel is "the number" for your 5 iron, and later facing a shot that was your G wedge dead on number, would try to make the same swing for both, or would you swing longer with the 5 to try to generate more clubhead speed to get the ball "up"?

FORE RIGHT!!!!