2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Looking for a low torque Driver Shaft

RJ_MJ_JJ

Hey All - First time, long time!

I have a swing speed of about 115, looking for a low torque driver shaft. Anyone out there have any suggestions? I currently rock a Tensei Blue 70 X in my Cobra F7+. I'm _fairly_ satisfied with it, but every once in a while, I get a bit of a ballooning effect. Obviously, a bit of user error, but if anyone has any shaft suggestions, would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

Torque is more about the feel of the shaft than anything. If you are looking for a lower spin/ lower flighted shaft the Tensei White should bring your ball flight down. I just recently started playing the new Accra TZ5 and it's very low spin with a penetrating flight. They also have the TZ6 which launches slightly higher with a more active tip but it has lower torque which helps it feel a little stouter.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* w/Mitsubishi Diamana GT 60S
Titleist TSR2 15* w/VA Composites Nemesys 75S
Taylormade Stealth 2 Hybrid 19* w/VA Composites Nemesys 90S
Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW w/Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist SM9 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/Project X LZ 6.0
Edel EAS 2.0 Putter
Vice Pro

Matrix black tie M4 70 gram is lower torque 2.8 I believe and the 75 gram is 3.3 torque. Both very low ball flight and spin and a great feeling shaft. Can be had for under $50 and in my opinion there is nothing better out there.

• Like 1

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

> @chershey said:

> Torque is more about the feel of the shaft than anything. If you are looking for a lower spin/ lower flighted shaft the Tensei White should bring your ball flight down. I just recently started playing the new Accra TZ5 and it's very low spin with a penetrating flight. They also have the TZ6 which launches slightly higher with a more active tip but it has lower torque which helps it feel a little stouter.

I agree from personal experience; got the Tensei White in my driver.

Torque is definitely correlate to feel and also, the newer technologically advanced graphite shafts nowadays are using less resin which equates to better feel or “less boardy”.

Tipping a Tensei Pro White would be a good option

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

So for me I have a really high ball flight in general so I purchased a Tensei Pro White TX and a RT Technologies ZEUS X-Flex. Both tipped a inch. After working with both on the range for about a month. I went with the RT Tech shaft. I had less spin and was able to shape the ball better left/right with a fade. The RT tech shafts are actually really affordable and to me is slightly a better shaft overall from my prospective.

Accra TZ6 is super low torque at all weights in the line minus the super light ones. The TZ5 has a bit more, both feel really good at least to me.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Thanks everyone for your feedback - I got some testing to do! Lots of Tensei White fans out there, by the way....

I had a Matrix Red Tie before the Tensei Blue. Gotta say, not a huge fan of Matrix. I snapped two shafts right at the hosel within a year, both on good contact.

Thanks again guys!

sounds like an installation problem.

Matrix shafts are solid (Red Tie not my favorite).

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @geochitown said:

> sounds like an installation problem.

> Matrix shafts are solid (Red Tie not my favorite).

I agree with this, gotta be install problem. I have played Black Ties for many years, including currently. Have also dabbled with some Red Ties ( don't care for White Ties ), and I have not experienced any shaft failures. You'd really have to be bringing the mustard to snap a Black Tie.

Titleist TSi4 9.75 HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Smoke
Titleist U500 3 iron
Titleist 718CB 4 thru PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50-08, 54-08, 58-08

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6

Fujikura Speeder Evolution 1 757 tour spec did the trick for me when I had the same issue. Much cheaper option than the Mitsubishi except for the Diamana D+ ltd 70 tx which is also probably a good option. Currently trying out the Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange which is similar to the White but more counterbalanced. Liking this shaft now it keeps the spin and flight down for me. Swing speed for my driver is 118-120.

Titleist TSR3 8 deg - Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

Titleist TSi3 15 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black 8X

Titleist TSR3 19 deg - Fujikura Ventus Black HB 9TX

Titleist T200 4 - TT DG TI X100

Titleist T100 (2019) 5-PW - TT DG TI X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 50.12 F - TT DG TI Black Onyx X100

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 54.10 S - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Vokey SM9 Jet Black 58.08 M - TT DG TI Black Onyx S400

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1

> @Patrik1982 said:

> +1 on the Hzrdus Black. Changed from D+ a couple of months ago.

+ another for Hzrdus Black (or Yellow).

Bought a Fusion driver in Nov of '16 and played the stock Diamana Red for about 10 months. Toop high launch and too spinny. Changed to the Hzrdus Black in the Fall of '17 and it transformed the club. Mid flight penetrating bullets.

After much testing it's in the closet in favor of my new Epic Flash Sub Zero but with a Hzrdus YELLOW. Very similar flight to the Black and just slightly stiffer feeling (probably due to the different club head).

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @Patrik1982 said:

> > +1 on the Hzrdus Black. Changed from D+ a couple of months ago.

>

> + another for Hzrdus Black (or Yellow).

>

> Bought a Fusion driver in Nov of '16 and played the stock Diamana Red for about 10 months. Toop high launch and too spinny. Changed to the Hzrdus Black in the Fall of '17 and it transformed the club. Mid flight penetrating bullets.

>

> After much testing it's in the closet in favor of my new Epic Flash Sub Zero but with a Hzrdus YELLOW. Very similar flight to the Black and just slightly stiffer feeling (probably due to the different club head).

>

Any thoughts on the Smoke BLACK or Smoke YELLOW? Primary difference there being yellow is CB’d right?

I too am in the market (well, more so, trying to figure out the setup I want to try out from DDC) and got some numbers I didn’t hate from the HZRDUS smoke black 60 stiff with epic flash 10.5...dispersion was primarily bleeding right, (which easily could be operator error in my setup) but felt like the 70 XS would have been a better fit, along with a 9* SZ head, but I didn’t see any one mention the HZRDUS SMOKE variant...would that be a viable option in this discussion for higher ss golfers looking for low torque?

> @Teed426 said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @Patrik1982 said:

> > > +1 on the Hzrdus Black. Changed from D+ a couple of months ago.

> >

> > + another for Hzrdus Black (or Yellow).

> >

> > Bought a Fusion driver in Nov of '16 and played the stock Diamana Red for about 10 months. Toop high launch and too spinny. Changed to the Hzrdus Black in the Fall of '17 and it transformed the club. Mid flight penetrating bullets.

> >

> > After much testing it's in the closet in favor of my new Epic Flash Sub Zero but with a Hzrdus YELLOW. Very similar flight to the Black and just slightly stiffer feeling (probably due to the different club head).

> >

>

> Any thoughts on the Smoke BLACK or Smoke YELLOW? Primary difference there being yellow is CB’d right?

>

> I too am in the market (well, more so, trying to figure out the setup I want to try out from DDC) and got some numbers I didn’t hate from the HZRDUS smoke black 60 stiff with epic flash 10.5...dispersion was primarily bleeding right, (which easily could be operator error in my setup) but felt like the 70 XS would have been a better fit, along with a 9* SZ head, but I didn’t see any one mention the HZRDUS SMOKE variant...would that be a viable option in this discussion for higher ss golfers looking for low torque?

Swapping in the Hzrdus Black in my Fusion was sort of a lark. Hadn't tested the combo but I found one, handcrafted no less, on eBay, and took a shot. It worked. Ordinarily I wouldn't buy a shaft I hadn't already hit.

I only learned of the Yellow Smoke shaft recently. Don't know if there are even any demos around and I, personally won't buy a shaft (any more LOL) unless I can demo it first. Lets a fair number of great shafts out of the mix for me. But then, the current combo's numbers cannot be improved on so,,,,,,,,,,,

FWIW, I've tried the Black Smoke with the Cobra F9, Titleist TS2 & TS3 and the Epic SZ and couldn't make it work in any of them. That said I couldn't really make any of those heads work (well enough) with any shaft.

As for CB shafts,,,,,,,,, I can't tell the difference. I try a shaft with a head and if I like it, fine. If not, fine. And frankly I can't detect any difference in feel with a CB vs. a non-CB. Apparently a lot of others can.

From reading WRX I know that a CB shaft makes the head feel a bit lighter and one might need to add weight to the head to get the swingweight one wants. I personally have never worried about swingweight. If I like the way it feels, and can hit it, that's enough for me.

I tried my Hzrdus Black in the Epic Flash SZ head and it didn't work. I tried the Hzrdus Yellow, that works so well in my EFSZ in my my Fusion just for kicks and that combo didn't work. This last round of testing of all the new 2019 heads has led me to believe that neither heads nor shafts work "universally"; at least for me.

Titleist Pro V1X

I Went to a fitter here in Sweden recently, and he uses TXG-adaptors, so that I could try a bunch of expensive shafts in my Rouge SZ set at 8.0 degrees

Really liked ACCRA TZ5 and even more the TZ6 that spun less than TZ5??? Tried them in both stiff and x-stiff. My favorite was ACCRA Z Tour RPG in 472 (x-stiff) that was a Little bit to firm for me, but it spun 300 less than my own Hzrdus Yellow 76 gram att 6.5 tipped 1.5 inch, (and it still doesn`t feel boardy. Started vith 0.5" then 1.0" and ended up at 1.5 and prolonging the shaft in the butt so it plays around 45")

I tried Fujikura PRO 2.0 7x that was smooth and a really nice shaft.

The only shaft I coulden`t get good numbers with was the Raijin Black (VA Composite) it was very stout and I guess it needed someone with higher SS than me, to get something out of it. It felt like a Grafalloy Blue X-stiff.

My SS is around 108-111 mph (after using speed-sticks for three months, before 105 mph)

Did not buy any of the shafts, but it was Worth 60 US-dollars to test them. My favorite was as I mentioned abowe ACCRAZ Tour RPG, and I didn`n think It was Worth 600 us-dollars for 300 less in spin.

My longest drive was with my own Hzrdus Yellow at 310 yards that spun around 2000, I usually spin around 2500-2700 because i have a tendency to flip my hands at impact creating to much dynamic loft = I guess thats my.

I am 57 years old with HCP 4.0 (sorry for the spelling :-)

Have a nice day! drpeo

@nsxguy that’s my comprehension of CB shafts as well...not “seasoned” enough to know the specific benefits, especially if I have to add weight to get back to my desired swing weight...I did like the feel of the smoke black with the epic flash, but everything in the set up I was hitting still wasn’t quite optimized for me...

Think I will give the Driver Direct Club a shot... recovering from a wrist surgery ATM anyway, so won’t be ripping full swings until June at the earliest. Could be would $30/mo to go with a black smoke 70 XS, or maybe try the atmos black XS in either a F9, EFSZ, or maybe even 410?

Feel like going that route is a good way to test some options under real world conditions not just LM data for less of an investment...I’ll test as many as I can free of charge on a LM first, then just make a decision for the rest of the season and order from DDC.

Really wanna get my hands on a F9....little irritated I can’t swing one on a LM near me since Dicks doesn’t carry Cobra anymore...and not into shelling out money for a custom fitting AND “renting” from DDC in the same season...full bag fitting is in order once I can dedicate way more time to my game, but right now just wanna test some of the new tech.

> @Teed426 said:

> @nsxguy that’s my comprehension of CB shafts as well...not “seasoned” enough to know the specific benefits, especially if I have to add weight to get back to my desired swing weight...I did like the feel of the smoke black with the epic flash, but everything in the set up I was hitting still wasn’t quite optimized for me...

>

> Think I will give the Driver Direct Club a shot... recovering from a wrist surgery ATM anyway, so won’t be ripping full swings until June at the earliest. Could be would $30/mo to go with a black smoke 70 XS, or maybe try the atmos black XS in either a F9, EFSZ, or maybe even 410?

> Feel like going that route is a good way to test some options under real world conditions not just LM data for less of an investment...I’ll test as many as I can free of charge on a LM first, then just make a decision for the rest of the season and order from DDC.

>

> Really wanna get my hands on a F9....little irritated I can’t swing one on a LM near me since Dicks doesn’t carry Cobra anymore...and not into shelling out money for a custom fitting AND “renting” from DDC in the same season...full bag fitting is in order once I can dedicate way more time to my game, but right now just wanna test some of the new tech.

I understand the itch, I really do LOL, But if I were you, as difficult as it is, I wouldn't test out anything until I could swing at 100%.

I mean, until you can go all out are you really testing properly ? Swinging 80-90% of your normal swing speed and you are most likely delivering the club quite differently than when you are fully healed; not to mention you might damage the wrist again (although I'm sure you've discussed this with your doctor).

Titleist Pro V1X

@nsxguy Oh yah, definitely did discuss with my Doc, and I won’t be testing drivers until i’m back to full functionality...I can putt already, and should be chipping by mid May, then i’ll just take it day by day and wait for his blessing to hit it hard...and yah, definitely not looking to re-injure anything.

It’s the left and I’m a righty, so the limiting factors I had prior to surgery were negligible...if anything, helped me keep the left in a good position and I couldn’t get flippy with it. The epic flash w/ HZRDUS smoke black I tested was the day before surgery and it felt good...obviously now after i’ve been infiltrated by machines and needles and sewn back together, much different story and I have picked up a club (other than my putter) yet. I’ll certainly heed the advice and take it easy, and just get my golf fix via driver shaft research in the forum until I can swing again!

> @Teed426 said:

> @nsxguy Oh yah, definitely did discuss with my Doc, and I won’t be testing drivers until i’m back to full functionality...I can putt already, and should be chipping by mid May, then i’ll just take it day by day and wait for his blessing to hit it hard...and yah, definitely not looking to re-injure anything.

>

> It’s the left and I’m a righty, so the limiting factors I had prior to surgery were negligible...if anything, helped me keep the left in a good position and I couldn’t get flippy with it. The epic flash w/ HZRDUS smoke black I tested was the day before surgery and it felt good...obviously now after i’ve been infiltrated by machines and needles and sewn back together, much different story and I have picked up a club (other than my putter) yet. I’ll certainly heed the advice and take it easy, and just get my golf fix via driver shaft research in the forum until I can swing again!

>

Sounds good. Best of luck when you get back to swinging.

And BTW, I see you're only here a week. Welcome to WRX !!!

Titleist Pro V1X

• 1 month later...

UPDATE - Got a HZRDUS Black 6.5. Dispersion is soooo much smaller. Lower launch, which is fine; I live in a region where it get's windy. Thanks for the advice everyone!

• Like 1