Voice Caddie SC300 review

After much deliberation and research I decided to get the SC300 Voice Caddie for my personal use. I thought I'd share my thoughts on it after 2 weeks of use in case anyone else was interested in this product.

I always wanted something with instant feedback so I can dial in my irons and wedges. I know how far I hit them full swing, but not so much when I have to hit half or 3/4 shots.

After a lot of reading and consulting with a friend of mine that runs a local club fitting store, I settled on the SC300 for a few reasons.

# **PROS**

* Instant feedback on your shot and you don't have to look at your tablet or smart phone after each shot.

* Easy to switch between clubs with the provided remote

* The target mode really does give you accurate distances for your wedge practice. (this was my primary reason for purchasing, dialing in wedges from anything inside 125 yards.)

* It provides you Launch, Swing and ball speed, Smash factor, Apex of your shot and of course distance

* Using a range finder to double check, the distances it calculated were within 1-3 yards.

* Lithium recharging battery with 12 hours of life

* Orange back drop screen with Black digital numbers makes it easy to see in the sun

* You can sync it to a smart phone or table to review your data. I haven't tried this yet, but it is part of the app you download.

* With the app you can update the firmware easily

* Blue tooth sync

* Voice - calls out the distances to you while you're hitting so you don't have to look all the time.

# **CONS**

* No Spin rate

* Price is a bit steep and you have to buy the case separately most of the time.

* You will occasionally hit a 272 yard 4 iron as it occasionally will misread the shot

* It sometimes does not register a shot or it will throw in the odd result, but overall it's pretty decent

If you want to use it to work on your distance control it's pretty awesome, for the price. If you're trying to fit yourself by trying different clubs and such to see which one performs better, or swapping shafts in Drivers etc, it's not really going to help on that other that seeing the difference in Smash, distance, apex, etc.... Without spin, you're missing a key ingredient for accurate comparison.

Overall I really like it and after playing two rounds after spending about 8 hours practicing with it, I can see an improvement in my club selection and my greens in reg because I'm more confident I know my full, 3/4 or half shot distances better.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Std 10.5 set to 9.5 with VA Vylyn 65x
Callaway Paradym TD 3 wood, Ventus TR Red 7 S

Callaway Paradym TD 5 wood, Accra 2.0

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-GW MMT 105TX
Callaway Jaws Raw '21, 54, 58 xGrind Black Modus 120 S

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice 5.5 

> @Commack350Z said:

> Nice review! I am actually thinking about this unit. How are the distance numbers for your longer clubs? I know you said you would get unregistered or odd numbers but other than that are they fairly accurate for longer clubs? Especially the driver?

Yes, the longer clubs are pretty accurate as well. You will occasionally get the odd reading, but for the most part it's within a good margin of a few yards.

Spent 3 hours on Saturday just hitting every club in the bag and my longer and mid irons were dead on. 3 Wood, 5 wood, etc also dead on. Occasionally I'll get a weird driver reading but it really does a good job.

Smash factor is very telling. You can really notice how solidly a shot is hit and when you see the smash high, the numbers reflect it. When you mishit one you'll see the drop off in distance on Carry yardage.

It has helped me also to work on my optimized swing. What I mean buy this is what is the sweet spot of my swing speed. 100% vs say 85-90% swing and how solidly you hit a shot vs trying to max everything. IT's been really nice to see the results of what a 85-90% swing goes with each club vs when I really need to go at one hard. Helping me maintain my consistency better. It gives you the confidence to take a longer club and swing smoother. At least it does for me.

One thing I did find interesting is actual driver carry. I always thought based on fitting simulator numbers and my own "guessing" based on range finder numbers what I thought I carried the ball. Even though I feel like I'm swinging a certain MPH, what is my true MPH?

It's slower than I thought. Normal swing with Driver I carry it with a good smash about 262-269. As I warmed up and got more confidence on really good hits I was getting it to 275-280 plus or minus a couple yards. Seeing the smash factor and swing speed has helped me to understand my swing better and find some more efficiency to get my swing more in line. So what does my standard draw swing fly? What does my fade swing produce? What does that do for my on course play. What lines should I take? Etc.

As I've gotten older, (48 now) I've lost about 10 MPH in the last 5 years, the realization of what my true carry distance is will help make me a better more consistent player.

vceez9h2efca.png

• Like 1

Tekman - thanks for the review.

To add my two cents to this review:

I purchased one a few weeks ago also, and have had a chance to work with it 4-5 times as well as one longer session with a buddy. I added a screen shot taken from my phone after syncing with the SC300 below. This is taken from the PRACTICE DATA section. In addition to the Carry AVG and Carry MAX, the stats also give you - Club speed, ball speed, launch angle, smash factor, and apex height. In this stats section you can also remove shots that either were hit really badly or were read as outliers as Tekman described.

The longer session I mention above was mostly using the TARGET function. This is where you can set a specific distance and a specific club & loft and it will tell you how far you hit it. We were working on 100 yards, 80 yards, and 60 yards. I have not figured out if it will track the TARGET function like it does the PRACTICE info noted above. Regardless of this, the TARGET function is where this shines in my opinion. Being able to work on a specific distance is extremely helpful. I have not tried it under 50 yards yet, but I have worked with it out to 190 yards and I feel pretty confident that it measures accurately.

In regard to driver carry distances - I think it might overstate them just a little bit. I think it reads the swing speed spot on. Based upon Trackman I run between 95-100 and it has measured me between 96-99 on quite a few swings. My buddy is in the 105-110 range and it measured his swing speed spot on also. My reason for thinking that the carry distances are a little overstated by 10-15 yards on a 257 average is that I know I didn't center strike the ball. That being said it is very consistent in the measurement, so maybe I am hitting that far (hopefully!).

All the other clubs do seem to be spot on for carry distance on average - again an outlier here or there, but you have to remember this is a $500 machine not a $20K machine. Overall I am very happy with it and as Tekman said, it will really save strokes knowing just how to hit shots to a certain yardage.

Hope this helps in anyone's decision making.

voag3ni9el4t.jpg

• Like 1

Ping G430 w/ Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 5-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

Quick update for anyone looking for a protective case - I found this one from Amazon for $11. Search for 7" GPS cases. Works really well, fits everything needed and slips into the side pocket of the golf bag quite easily.

efzfwe8gxjt3.jpg

Ping G430 w/ Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Cleveland CBX 2 48*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

> @nostatic said:

> Apparently spin data is now available on the app (I think you have to update the firmware on the SC300 as well).

They musty have just done that as I updated mine 2 weeks ago. Just ran the update, so I'll check it next practice session.

• Like 1

> @Drexel64 said:

> Is the App only for Iphone?? I don't see an android version in googleplay?

It's out for both, but when I tried it on my android phone it was in Korean, so I then grabbed an old iphone and installed it.

> @IWL said:

> Where'd you find a Korean version? Didn't think it came out til June for Android?

on android playstore

I did see on their site earlier today that SPIN DATA is now available. I have not updated the firmware yet, but will try over the weekend and let everyone know what I find out.

Ping G430 w/ Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Cleveland CBX 2 48*
TM Spider X 34" blue

Alphard V2 wheels

Yes, most interested if someone could run spin data from the SC300 app vs a X3 or TM...the MEVO requires stickers to accurately get spin (without them it can be off by as much as 4K rpms from Tm numbers) if voice Caddie has cracked the code on inexpensively getting spin numbers that are at least within 3-500 rpms of TM data, would definitely make me want to give the SC300 a spin...no pun intended.

> @Teed426 said:

> Yes, most interested if someone could run spin data from the SC300 app vs a X3 or TM...the MEVO requires stickers to accurately get spin (without them it can be off by as much as 4K rpms from Tm numbers) if voice Caddie has cracked the code on inexpensively getting spin numbers that are at least within 3-500 rpms of TM data, would definitely make me want to give the SC300 a spin...no pun intended.

I plan on hitting some today, I'll sync and proved a screen shot and some info later.

I just purchased this after reading this thread. I have been taking lessons and really trying to get rid of my inside takeaway and over the top which I believe has increased my swing speed. Reading that this thing is pretty accurate with that specific metric tipped the scale on purchasing this. Looking forward to it!

> @tekman said:

> > @Teed426 said:

> > Yes, most interested if someone could run spin data from the SC300 app vs a X3 or TM...the MEVO requires stickers to accurately get spin (without them it can be off by as much as 4K rpms from Tm numbers) if voice Caddie has cracked the code on inexpensively getting spin numbers that are at least within 3-500 rpms of TM data, would definitely make me want to give the SC300 a spin...no pun intended.

>

> I plan on hitting some today, I'll sync and proved a screen shot and some info later.

I'd love to see that as I am thinking of purchasing this unit...

Titleist TSi3 driver AV Raw White 65g 

Titleist TSi3 3W AV Raw White 65g

Titleist TSi3 3H  AV Raw HY 75g

PXG Gen 5, 0311T 6-AW, 0311P 4-5

Taylormade MG4 54*

Taylormade MG4 58*

Argolf Putter

Vice Pro-Soft balls

> @physasst said:

> > @tekman said:

> > > @Teed426 said:

> > > Yes, most interested if someone could run spin data from the SC300 app vs a X3 or TM...the MEVO requires stickers to accurately get spin (without them it can be off by as much as 4K rpms from Tm numbers) if voice Caddie has cracked the code on inexpensively getting spin numbers that are at least within 3-500 rpms of TM data, would definitely make me want to give the SC300 a spin...no pun intended.

> >

> > I plan on hitting some today, I'll sync and proved a screen shot and some info later.

>

> I'd love to see that as I am thinking of purchasing this unit...

>

For whatever reason when I tried syncing to my phone, yesterday's data didn't pull in. Planning to go hit balls later today after Avengers end game. Will try pulling it in and share. I will say. There is now a spin rate column on the stats screen of the app, so we shall see what we get.

> @"Titleist+2" said:

> Great thread guys, thinking about purchasing this unit. Has anyone tried the sc300 indoors yet? I have a net/mat setup in my garage that I would like to use it with as well as outdoor, but wondering how much room the ball needs to fly for decent readings from the unit?

Ditto...it’s between this and the MEVO (with silver stickers) for me. Same setup, have about 20’ to work with total and want the best I can get, with the understanding that none of these will be as accurate as a TM...basically, want to determine which does a better job with spin, SC300, or MEVO using silver stickers (because the MEVO without the stickers seems lacking).

So sync still not working and thing to note, if using an old Iphone phone with no cellular data, the app does not work without internet to sync. Probably uses some API on the open internet to perform the sync.

I've found that the accuracy improves at 5ft back from the ball. If you have it too close, it has issues reading the shorter irons and a high launch angle effectively. I was getting some odd numbers early on in my session yesterday. Further back it's better. Mid irons on thru Driver was spot on from 5 ft away. My shorter irons I was too close with the system. Waiting for this week's update so I can get my data into the app. Wish Android app was out already.

> @tekman said:

> So sync still not working and thing to note, if using an old Iphone phone with no cellular data, the app does not work without internet to sync. Probably uses some API on the open internet to perform the sync.

>

> I've found that the accuracy improves at 5ft back from the ball. If you have it too close, it has issues reading the shorter irons and a high launch angle effectively. I was getting some odd numbers early on in my session yesterday. Further back it's better. Mid irons on thru Driver was spot on from 5 ft away. My shorter irons I was too close with the system. Waiting for this week's update so I can get my data into the app. Wish Android app was out already.

I'd tried last night and sync is working now. Might try to update your app. All of your old missing data should appear once it's updated

> @IWL said:

> > @tekman said:

> > So sync still not working and thing to note, if using an old Iphone phone with no cellular data, the app does not work without internet to sync. Probably uses some API on the open internet to perform the sync.

> >

> > I've found that the accuracy improves at 5ft back from the ball. If you have it too close, it has issues reading the shorter irons and a high launch angle effectively. I was getting some odd numbers early on in my session yesterday. Further back it's better. Mid irons on thru Driver was spot on from 5 ft away. My shorter irons I was too close with the system. Waiting for this week's update so I can get my data into the app. Wish Android app was out already.

>

> I'd tried last night and sync is working now. Might try to update your app. All of your old missing data should appear once it's updated

New app on Apple Istore. Updated and resync'd and the data is indeed there. Spin numbers are showing for some of my clubs since last 2 sessions, but spin numbers seem off. I am planning to go to my buddy's club fitting store to check out some of the new drivers. I'll run through my bag and get him to print me off a session sheet so I can compare. They have Trackman. My Driver spin off 160 shots is showing as 3196, which seems awfully high considering when I hit this in his trackman last fall I was getting 2450, 14.6 launch, 106-8 swing speed, 279 carry, same head and shaft. SC300, 3196, 260-283 carry, 105-108 SS, Be interesting to see how it fares against the new Ping g410 and M5 and Cobra I intend to hit.

My main purpose for this tool was to narrow my practice sessions for my irons inside 150, so that is still my main concern personally. The rest is just nice to have.

Ok, so to add some comparison analysis to this thread.

[Pga Tour Trackman averages](https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/ "Pga Tour Trackman averages")

Based on the data in my SC300, my Irons and wedge numbers are really close to these above. Within 1-3 MPH on most and this jives with what I get on the course under normal conditions.

Now, what is very telling and this is where I was more surprised, is that my swing efficiency falls WAY off with 5w-Driver. I mean WAY off. I get good results with the 5 and 3 despite my difference in Swing speed of about 4-5 MPH vs the tour average, but the driver is no where near as efficient.

* So on par with Wedges, up thru 9 iron

* Slightly lower on the rest of the irons, speed wise, but my distances are pretty close to the same.

* Then a huge drop off when I get to the woods of almost 8% less in speed. Distance wise, my numbers for 5-3w are almost the same as a standard PGA professional based on this data, when you look at my numbers, speed, height, Launch, etc, they are under performing with the big stick.

So, I can take this data to my club fitter AND to a PGA professional and have them help me figure out why my swing/club is under performing when I get a Driver in my hand. It is of course me, not the club, but it's probably also the fit on the driver shaft. I can use this to help me there and also to get optimized.

TBH, this is just a nice problem to have and the tool to help me analyze it better.

Great tool. I look forward to using it all summer to help me fine tune my game.