Bandon countdown - No longer countdown. We’re here!!!

Edinburghgolfer

Well I'm officially on Bandon countdown. Two more days until I make my maiden pilgrimage with my dad and brother. It's been maaaaany years in the talking. In January 2018 we finally pulled the trigger and booked up. Nine nights at the resort followed by four nights in San Francisco before flying home. Nine nights might sounds crazy but for Americans coming to Scotland you would be unlikely to come for less than seven days. It's quite the expedition to get to Oregon from Scotland but that is half the fun. Edinburgh -> London -> San Francisco -> North Bend. A little less than 5000 miles door to door.

The many Bandon threads on here have been an invaluable source of information in the planning stages.

Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
Cobra F8 3w w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Orange
Callaway Rogue 5w w/ Oban Isawa Red
Titleist 818 H1 hybrid w/ Oban Isawa Red
Srixon z765 5-pw w/ Steelfiber
Vokey SM7 52F, 56F, 60K w/ Steelfiber
PXG Darkness Gunboat

> @spud3 said:

> That's great! Welcome in advance and hope Bandon can live up to what must be a very high bar!

>

> What is your schedule for the courses? Are you playing anywhere else?

It’s a pretty insane schedule - we may come to regret this...

08/05 - Preserve

09/05 - PD & BT

10/05 - OM & BD

11/05 - BD & PD

12/05 - BT & OM

13/05 - Preserve & BD

14/05 - PD & PD

15/05 - BD & BT

16/05 - PD & OM

We’ve got one game in SF lined up before flying home. We toyed with the idea of trying to add another round but are keen to have time for sightseeing and all the touristy stuff.

> @Dsevans8 said:

> Welcome to Bandon! I am really interested to hear your opinion of the courses, especially how you view them as links style courses. I'm assuming that you are well acquainted with the the great links golf courses on that side of the pond! :)

I’m a member at North Berwick and have played most of the links courses you can think of in Scotland so I’d like to think I’m pretty used to links courses and the conditions. It will be really interesting to see how the courses at Bandon compare to newly built Scottish links courses such as: Machrihanish Dunes, The Castle Course, Kingsbarns etc.

This is a bucket list trip for my dad, brother and I. We’ve been planning a trip to Bandon for years so it really is a dream come true to finally be making it happen.

Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
PXG Darkness Gunboat

Bloody hell! That's a lot of days in one isolated spot ;)

Where did you get a game in SF? If it's one of the privates fair play, but in lieu of those Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz would give you the best example of old school parkland golf in the area. Anything else publicly available will be a disappointment after Bandon.

Assuming you're driving up/down Highway 1/101 to take in the awesome coastline, the redwoods etc...?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @Edinburghgolfer said:

> It’s a pretty insane schedule - we may come to regret this...

>

> 08/05 - Preserve

> 09/05 - PD & BT

> 10/05 - OM & BD

> 11/05 - BD & PD

> 12/05 - BT & OM

> 13/05 - Preserve & BD

> 14/05 - PD & PD

> 15/05 - BD & BT

> 16/05 - PD & OM

>

That is indeed an insane schedule... you'll know the Bandon courses as well as anyone after this trip.

The fact that most of us who frequent Bandon have bucket lists that include the courses you call home is a delicious irony. I think we're all really keen to hear your impressions, given where you're coming from.

Please share when you have some time; and judging by the schedule above, that won't be until you've gotten back home...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

> @Edinburghgolfer said:

> > @spud3 said:

> > That's great! Welcome in advance and hope Bandon can live up to what must be a very high bar!

> >

> > What is your schedule for the courses? Are you playing anywhere else?

>

> It’s a pretty insane schedule - we may come to regret this...

>

> 08/05 - Preserve

> 09/05 - PD & BT

> 10/05 - OM & BD

> 11/05 - BD & PD

> 12/05 - BT & OM

> 13/05 - Preserve & BD

> 14/05 - PD & PD

> 15/05 - BD & BT

> 16/05 - PD & OM

>

> We’ve got one game in SF lined up before flying home. We toyed with the idea of trying to add another round but are keen to have time for sightseeing and all the touristy stuff.

>

> > @Dsevans8 said:

> > Welcome to Bandon! I am really interested to hear your opinion of the courses, especially how you view them as links style courses. I'm assuming that you are well acquainted with the the great links golf courses on that side of the pond! :)

>

> I’m a member at North Berwick and have played most of the links courses you can think of in Scotland so I’d like to think I’m pretty used to links courses and the conditions. It will be really interesting to see how the courses at Bandon compare to newly built Scottish links courses such as: Machrihanish Dunes, The Castle Course, Kingsbarns etc.

>

> This is a bucket list trip for my dad, brother and I. We’ve been planning a trip to Bandon for years so it really is a dream come true to finally be making it happen.

>

>

Holy Cheese Whiz...17 rounds of golf in 9 days? That's gotta be 150 miles walking. Have you walked that many miles consecutively before? Bring a lot of socks, carbo load to the max and can't wait to hear of your journey and results!

> @duffer987 said:

> Bloody ****! That's a lot of days in one isolated spot ;)

> Where did you get a game in SF? If it's one of the privates fair play, but in lieu of those Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz would give you the best example of old school parkland golf in the area. Anything else publicly available will be a disappointment after Bandon.

> Assuming you're driving up/down Highway 1/101 to take in the awesome coastline, the redwoods etc...?

We're fortunate to have a game lined up at Cal Club which I'm really looking forward to seeing, that was the one course in SF I hoped to get the chance to play.

> @spud3 said:

> > @Edinburghgolfer said:

> > It’s a pretty insane schedule - we may come to regret this...

> >

> > 08/05 - Preserve

> > 09/05 - PD & BT

> > 10/05 - OM & BD

> > 11/05 - BD & PD

> > 12/05 - BT & OM

> > 13/05 - Preserve & BD

> > 14/05 - PD & PD

> > 15/05 - BD & BT

> > 16/05 - PD & OM

> >

> That is indeed an insane schedule... you'll know the Bandon courses as well as anyone after this trip.

>

> The fact that most of us who frequent Bandon have bucket lists that include the courses you call home is a delicious irony. I think we're all really keen to hear your impressions, given where you're coming from.

> Please share when you have some time; and judging by the schedule above, that won't be until you've gotten back home...

It's funny you mention the irony. I was playing at North Berwick a few years ago with a couple of American guys from Oregon who knew Bandon well. When I told them it was on my bucket list they couldn't believe I'd want to travel all that way for links golf. I suppose going to the States we should be playing desert golf in Nevada or Arizona but to me that just isn't inspiring golf at all. I'm as guilty as anyone of being a hit and quit it golfer when visiting a new course. I'm really looking forward to getting to play each course three or four times to get to know it well and hopefully learn some of their secrets. For sure I'll report back when we get home.

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @spud3 said:

> > > That's great! Welcome in advance and hope Bandon can live up to what must be a very high bar!

> > >

> > > What is your schedule for the courses? Are you playing anywhere else?

> >

> > It’s a pretty insane schedule - we may come to regret this...

> >

> > 08/05 - Preserve

> > 09/05 - PD & BT

> > 10/05 - OM & BD

> > 11/05 - BD & PD

> > 12/05 - BT & OM

> > 13/05 - Preserve & BD

> > 14/05 - PD & PD

> > 15/05 - BD & BT

> > 16/05 - PD & OM

> >

> > We’ve got one game in SF lined up before flying home. We toyed with the idea of trying to add another round but are keen to have time for sightseeing and all the touristy stuff.

> >

> > > @Dsevans8 said:

> > > Welcome to Bandon! I am really interested to hear your opinion of the courses, especially how you view them as links style courses. I'm assuming that you are well acquainted with the the great links golf courses on that side of the pond! :)

> >

> > I’m a member at North Berwick and have played most of the links courses you can think of in Scotland so I’d like to think I’m pretty used to links courses and the conditions. It will be really interesting to see how the courses at Bandon compare to newly built Scottish links courses such as: Machrihanish Dunes, The Castle Course, Kingsbarns etc.

> >

> > This is a bucket list trip for my dad, brother and I. We’ve been planning a trip to Bandon for years so it really is a dream come true to finally be making it happen.

> >

> >

>

> Holy Cheese Whiz...17 rounds of golf in 9 days? That's gotta be 150 miles walking. Have you walked that many miles consecutively before? Bring a lot of socks, carbo load to the max and can't wait to hear of your journey and results!

It is a crazy amount of golf, definitely the most consecutive rounds I will have played. It may be that we drop a few of the rounds but hopefully our bodies will hold up. I think the most I've done so far is consecutive days of 18,18,36,18,18,36,36,36,36. I've got a pair of socks for each round we play, still to decide on taking two or three pairs of shoes and will for sure carbo load like De Niro preparing for Raging Bull.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
PXG Darkness Gunboat

I feel sorry for your Dad, he might just want to relax with a few pints.

My mate has just organised a tour to Ayrshire, 8 games in 8 days, I gave him the mail that we are no longer 30 and he needs to include some rest days. If some of the tourists want to play on the rest day/s, that's their decision, I won't be.

I love Cal Club, would appreciate your thoughts, they might even fly the Saltire if they know you are coming.

> @Malvern said:

> I feel sorry for your Dad, he might just want to relax with a few pints.

> My mate has just organised a tour to Ayrshire, 8 games in 8 days, I gave him the mail that we are no longer 30 and he needs to include some rest days. If some of the tourists want to play on the rest day/s, that's their decision, I won't be.

> I love Cal Club, would appreciate your thoughts, they might even fly the Saltire if they know you are coming.

>

My dad's not going to play each round, at most he will play 18 in the morning and my brother and I will go out in the afternoon. Dad's looking forward to relaxing with a book and a pint in the afternoons, exploring the walking trails and heading into Bandon. I'm not quite 30 but at 35 I hope my body will hold up to the itinerary. Enjoy your time in Ayrshire, that's great part of the country for golf. Prestwick might be my favourite course in the world. If I could join a club anywhere I think that would be it. I've before Cal Club do that with their overseas guests, that would be cool touch to finish the trip.

Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
PXG Darkness Gunboat

@Edinburghgolfer Good to hear Cal Club is the local game you got, that'll be great!

We did 10/5 and 14/9 as 40 year olds in East Lothian and Fife a couple years ago - and try and cram 8 rounds into 5 winter days at Bandon each year... you're still part of the yoof brigade you'll have no problem at all!

TBF, while Trails is a long walk and OM has a few big hills to scale, they are all eminently walkable. TBH I'd be more concerned about getting bored being in the same spot post golf that many nights, than anything golf-related. Obviously easy to pop into town a few nights, could also go down to Port Orford once for a meal to break things up too.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> @Edinburghgolfer Good to hear Cal Club is the local game you got, that'll be great!

> We did 10/5 and 14/9 as 40 year olds in East Lothian and Fife a couple years ago - and try and cram 8 rounds into 5 winter days at Bandon each year... you're still part of the yoof brigade you'll have no problem at all!

> TBF, while Trails is a long walk and OM has a few big hills to scale, they are all eminently walkable. TBH I'd be more concerned about getting bored being in the same spot post golf that many nights, than anything golf-related. Obviously easy to pop into town a few nights, could also go down to Port Orford once for a meal to break things up too.

The ground at Bandon is also extremely hard, not sure if you have similar conditions across the pond that you're already used to. If your golf shoes aren't already extremely comfortable, it's possible to play a round or two in just running shoes in an effort to save your feet. Best of luck! Like everyone else on here interested to hear your thoughts when it's all said and done.

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

> @puttnforthe8 said:

> Nice trip planned. I get there May 4th and leave May 9th.

> One other tip: get some Gold Bond Ultimate Comfort Body Powder, Aloe and Chamomile and put in your socks. I also would recommend, since it is available now, some CBD lotion for the feet...really makes a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions, that’s really helpful. I’ll certainly look into that. Any recommendation for CBD lotion? I might bump into you on the 8th. Keep an eye out for three pasty looking Scots.

Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
PXG Darkness Gunboat

> @Edinburghgolfer said:

> > @puttnforthe8 said:

> > Nice trip planned. I get there May 4th and leave May 9th.

> > One other tip: get some Gold Bond Ultimate Comfort Body Powder, Aloe and Chamomile and put in your socks. I also would recommend, since it is available now, some CBD lotion for the feet...really makes a difference.

>

> Thanks for the suggestions, that’s really helpful. I’ll certainly look into that. Any recommendation for CBD lotion? I might bump into you on the 8th. Keep an eye out for three pasty looking Scots.

>

>

Lord jones...but it is pricey!

> @puttnforthe8 said:

> > > @puttnforthe8 said:

> > > Nice trip planned. I get there May 4th and leave May 9th.

> > > One other tip: get some Gold Bond Ultimate Comfort Body Powder, Aloe and Chamomile and put in your socks. I also would recommend, since it is available now, some CBD lotion for the feet...really makes a difference.

> >

> > Thanks for the suggestions, that’s really helpful. I’ll certainly look into that. Any recommendation for CBD lotion? I might bump into you on the 8th. Keep an eye out for three pasty looking Scots.

> >

> >

>

> Lord jones...but it is pricey!

Thanks man.

Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
PXG Darkness Gunboat

> @Queso said:

> Wow! This is an intense schedule! You’re gonna have a blast! Like others have said, I’ll be interested to hear your evaluation of these courses in comparison to the courses that inspired ‘em!

>

> I’m a caddie out here, so PM me if you have any last minute questions!

Thanks man, appreciate it. I'll definitely give my feedback on the courses and how they compare to links courses over here.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
PXG Darkness Gunboat

I’m lying typing this post from my bed in the lodge (jet-lag sucks!).

Day one is in the books. Just after 39 hours after leaving the house in Edinburgh we made it to check in. That did include an overnight stay in a San Francisco airport hotel. The journey couldn’t have been smoother. All flights departed on time and our clubs and luggage were there to meet us off the plane. The scenery on the drive to the resort from North Bend was amazing, just nothing like anything in the U.K. at all - I felt like I was in a John Irving novel.

Made it to the resort, got into room and unpacked flight bag and suitcase. Clubs arrived in one piece but had been TSA checked.

My MacKenzie golf bag I had made for the trip was waiting for me at Guest Services along with Lord Jones CBD lotion which had been recommended to me on this thread. Hopefully it will help with any aches from all the walking I’ll be doing this week.

Popped four irons and putter into the new bag and headed off for Preserve. Our first introduction to golf at Bandon Dunes. Unreal 13 holes. Just so much fun. 1. Golf needs more par 3 courses. 2. C&C knocked it out the park. I’m looking forward playing it again before we leave. Yes the greens aren’t great in patches due to the Poa transition but definitely didn’t detract from the enjoyment.

Back to the room for a quick shower and change before meeting my brother in McKee’s for a couple of IPAs before dinner. I look forward to sampling the full beer menu before we leave (if we do!).

Dinner for me of Cottage Pie, delicious, I highly recommend it. Brother had Reuben fritters and the shrimp sandwich. Dad had chicken sandwich. Both looked great and went down very well.

Bed, phone wife back in Scotland, sleep, awake, type post and hopefully back to sleep. Wash, rinse, repeat for the next eight nights...

Michael

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
PXG Darkness Gunboat

> @2putttom said:

> what's your tee time on Pacific, we'll watch ya tee off on the live feed?

We’re off at 08:40. If you’re looking for a chuckle, tune in.

Callaway Rogue w/ AD IZ 
PXG Darkness Gunboat

look at you shakin' hands on the first tee and pipn' one right down the middle ya got a lefty in the group. You'll be shedding those sweaters by the time ya get to the 3rd. tee

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"