M43's... To Refinish Or Not Refinish... That Is The Question

Just picked up a set of MacGregor M43's (1,3,4) and after receiving them I find they are in all original condition. Beautiful leather grips and matching neck numbers. Driver does not have a back weight. The faces are perfect and the necks are not cracked with the exception of a small one starting to creep out from the whipping of the driver, but only about a centimeter. Shafts are a bit pitted, but very playable. The whole set is pretty magnificent. The question is, should they be refinished or kept in this state. I am fairly certain they are very playable, but not sure I want to. I realize some pictures would be very nice and I will post them later. This is one of those instances where I am not sure if they are more valuable in their original state or after they have been refinished properly. Dying to hit the driver, but I think I need to re-shaft it to make sure everything stays in good shape. Thoughts??

Things are only original once, whether it’s a vintage car or a golf club. If the clubs are all original, present well, and are playable, I’d keep them as is.

I’d also consider re-epoxy the face insert and sole plate and new whipping as general maintenance to keep the clubs playable without sacrificing the originality.

I’ve been wanting a set of M43’s for awhile, I look forward to your pictures.

I am leaning in the "not refinish" direction also. I do want to address the small creeping neck crack on the big dog however, so most likely at least need to pull it and epoxy that in addition to inserts and sole plates, although I am not 100% on those. The 3 wood hits great with out any changes. So does one just use a bit of tung oil on these to protect them from water?

If I were you **northplatteriver** wouldn't waste the money in refinishing them or play them or even keep them. I'd sell them to **RobotDoctor** and rid of such hideous clubs!

:p

Beautiful. These would restore so beautifully but look terrific as they are!

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

> @freddiec said:

> RobotDr has a thing for M43s and M85s. Oh and 693s and 945s..

>

> They look amazing , I’d keep them all original at least for a year or so until you can’t stand it anymore

AND LFFs!

• Like 1

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

I agree. No rush to do anything with them other than make sure they are solid for playing. This set really filled a great gap in my collection also. Still waiting for a nice set of 945's myself (and an LFF...a guy can dream). I did see a posting on facebook where someone was asking if an LFF got snatched up with a couple of 945's on Ebay a few days ago. I remember seeing the posting myself, but it was gone fairly quickly and the sold listing never came up. Never did find out if it was an unlisted LFF or not, but it did look like it had a massive face.

Robert, I do agree they would be excellent candidates for a refinish job. At this point I know I do not have the skills to do them justice, but that is the certainly one of my long term goals. Slowly building my arsenal of tools, books and information on how to do correct and proper restorations of these gems. At this point all I really have time for is just collecting the raw materials and wait (daughter leaves for college next near). Still slowly working on my M85 that you have provided me some tips on that I am taking to heart. This forum is really where it all started for me. Hope I have some works I can present to the group at some point that approach some of the masterpieces in your collections. Wiffle balls in the basement are all the action these babies will see...for now.

Addendum... looks like i have stumbled upon a 2 wood for the set that also has the same matching shaft and leather grip. It was re-finshed back in the 90's by George Izett from what the previous owner has told me and appears to be in beautiful shape with the exception that there are 5 screws in the face insert!!!58yxbdtpc6me.jpg

ddjajeww8wzs.jpg

noqtfm9rgyk2.jpg

. Will have to be addressed when I either refinish the other 3 or have someone do it for me. Also picked up an M43 driver with an S300 shaft and no backweight in the deal among a few other little gems I will post after I get them.

• 2 years later...

I just picked this set of M43s up.  There is always the question of restore or not to restore.  Because of the age and that different adhesives were used back in the day I am a proponent of restoration as long as it is done respectfully and period appropriately.  I will have this set restored, starting with the driver followed next year with the fairway woods.

M43 set _1.jpg

M43 set crown 3.jpg

M43 set sole.jpg

M43 set skirt.jpg

M43 set neck.jpg

M43 set driver face.jpg

M43 set driver crown 2.jpg

Edited by RobotDoctor
  • Like 4

Hope you love them Robot... I know you will do them justice.   Can't wait to see what you find under the sole plate of that driver.  I never had the nerve to look.  I will also be curious to hear what Dave Woods has to say about it.  It had the feel of a special club to me.  Just a great M43.

Edited by northplatteriver
  • Like 1

This is what's under the sole plate of the M43 driver I just got.  😎

6EFDFECD-8387-4491-8589-AB061B329C30.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/25/2019 at 12:37 PM, northplatteriver said:

Picturesoaqa14hi85aq.jpg

9raj33i1csht.jpg

8uhxpitzxeb9.jpg

cf6ha9ir7r6s.jpg

nj4vfk4bxadr.jpg

vbk220xvga1d.jpg

rmqb230fphpn.jpg

tl7aw122vkd3.jpg

Ummmmmmmm ..... this is the set of M43s I just purchased.  😎

On 4/25/2019 at 5:10 PM, RobotDoctor said:

If I were you **northplatteriver** wouldn't waste the money in refinishing them or play them or even keep them. I'd sell them to **RobotDoctor** and rid of such hideous clubs!

😛

Beautiful. These would restore so beautifully but look terrific as they are!

Little did RobotDoctor know that about 2 1/2 years later he would actually buy these.  😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I saw that post and laughed🤣

BTW, based on @northplatteriver's post on Nov. 3rd, I think he is fully aware that you bought his old clubs.

I just re-read the post and I can see it now.

@northplatteriver, I sent pics of the driver I took today, including under the sole plate and his reply was simply, "Amazing!"  I'm not too worried about the hairline crack just under and emanating from the whipping at the back of the neck.  I am probably going to have it reshafted with a new NDWS taper tip shaft Dave has.  I am also sending the 693 driver I picked up week before last for restoration. 

I have a feeling this will most likely close the book on M43s and 693s for me.  My collection of the M85s, M43s, 693s and 1953 945Ws are pretty good, good enough to close the chapter on those.  I have one super outstanding 945W eom (EDO finish) and a very good 945W eom so I am in search of a top tier 945W eom driver.  I am also always on the hunt for a Toney Penna WW Special (any wood will do).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I think they are candidates for restoration as well. I look forward to pictures....😁

Lol, one of the constants of the universe, me posting pictures of restored clubs!  😂🤣😂

• Haha 1

Will be fun to see after it is done by the master.  I had a feeling that one was a solid block, it simply could not have been anything different.  One of the reasons I held on so long was the suspicion it was.  I have another M43 the is most likely a solid block also that was finished by the George Izett shop back in the late 70's or early 80's.  My absolute favorite, there are some photos of it already, but these are much better...

IMG-2922.jpg

IMG-2921.jpg

IMG-2923.jpg

IMG-2924.jpg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, northplatteriver said:

Will be fun to see after it is done by the master.  I had a feeling that one was a solid block, it simply could not have been anything different.  One of the reasons I held on so long was the suspicion it was.  I have another M43 the is most likely a solid block also that was finished by the George Izett shop back in the late 70's or early 80's.  My absolute favorite, there are some photos of it already, but these are much better...

IMG-2922.jpg

IMG-2921.jpg

IMG-2923.jpg

IMG-2924.jpg

The grain on that driver is wicked insane!  Love the straight back grain a lot!!!

To refinish or not to refinish, that has been the question on one of mine too. I was leaning toward no, but now you two have me thinking. Maybe I can get it refinished before its too cold to dip; it may not be solid enough to save, but it is it worth a try?

I found two sets within about 10 days a while ago. They both had problems, but not on the same clubs; I have one solid set by mixing and matching, but the question has been what do I do with the leftovers?  I'll have to scrap one of the 3 woods because it is too far gone, but looking at your pics has me thinking that maybe the lesser driver is worth a shot, maybe this weekend. Its a no back weight  block, which had me excited, but there is a crack on the front that makes it suspect to hold up.

After you two got me looking at M43s this week, I think I'm willing to jam this thing full of epoxy, hope it squeezes through, give it a full makeover, and then hit it next spring and see what happens. Worst case scenario is that it breaks and then I strip it for parts and refinish the good set. Best case scenario is I have another player.

The top crack doesn't bother me, it seems pretty standard and epoxy should sure that up. Its that little one underneath that concerns me...I don't know if it goes down to the shaft hole and will get filled with epoxy when the shaft pushes it into the upper crack. I think I might start with less viscous West Systems epoxy that is more likely to squeeze into cracks, then follow quickly with some normal shaft epoxy and see what oozes out of the surface.

What do you think, any chance it will hold up to a full swing?

Crack head.jpeg

neck crack.jpeg

You might want to drill a hole right below where that crack stops just to get in front of the crack.  I have done that before on a club that someone had cut down the hosel pretty far, it was a Hogan 1953 Commemorative driver.  I drilled a hole in front of the crack and then widened the crack a bit behind it to make sure I had space for the epoxy to seep into.  The whipping covered it up nicely, but it did take some serious sanding to get it smoothed out.  Never had a problem with, solid as a rock.  I think you have a serious player on your hands, especially if that is a solid block.  

23 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I have a feeling this will most likely close the book on M43s and 693s for me.  My collection of the M85s, M43s, 693s and 1953 945Ws are pretty good, good enough to close the chapter on those.  I have one super outstanding 945W eom (EDO finish) and a very good 945W eom so I am in search of a top tier 945W eom driver.  I am also always on the hunt for a Toney Penna WW Special (any wood will do).

Infamous last words   😜

• Haha 2