2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I think my 3W needs to go ... but now what?

Little Ned

My $.02. Prepare for opinion.

The technology that makes today's drivers easier to hit has not reached three woods. They look and play very much like clubs from 20 years ago. The technology that makes irons easier to hit and go farther has likewise not made it to three woods. Low gravy, the thought process that they are easier to hit and control than a driver is not _as_ valid as it once was. I personally find them hard to hit from tight fairway. And if the fairway is tight I'll use a 3I and let it run out and get pretty good distance.

I still pack mine. For the longest time I carried the venerable TM V-Steel. Got a SLIDR when it came out and it sucked. Found an Adams on one of the online discounters for a steal that had the face slot thingy on the sole and it is pretty hot and about as easy to hit as the V-Steel, though still not great. I am as likely to top it as I am to get it out where I need it. That being the case in the rare, rare instance I need 250+ I just pull and iron and lay up. It is either an incredibly long par five, where laying up I still have a chance at birdie, or I duffed my drive on a par four, in that case I just need to take my medicine and keep it to a bogey at worse.

Would you benefit from a driving iron? You said you had two hybrids, a 5w and 3w, how are you on wedges?

> @Sweden_William said:

> I use a 4 wood at 16.5°, and it is amazing how more effective it is for me compared to a 3 wood. I'd say give it a try.

That Ping G25 4-wood in your signature is very dependable, from my own experience.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @smashdn said:

> My $.02. Prepare for opinion.

>

> The technology that makes today's drivers easier to hit has not reached three woods. They look and play very much like clubs from 20 years ago. The technology that makes irons easier to hit and go farther has likewise not made it to three woods. Low gravy, the thought process that they are easier to hit and control than a driver is not _as_ valid as it once was. I personally find them hard to hit from tight fairway. And if the fairway is tight I'll use a 3I and let it run out and get pretty good distance.

>

> I still pack mine. For the longest time I carried the venerable TM V-Steel. Got a SLIDR when it came out and it sucked. Found an Adams on one of the online discounters for a steal that had the face slot thingy on the sole and it is pretty hot and about as easy to hit as the V-Steel, though still not great. I am as likely to top it as I am to get it out where I need it. That being the case in the rare, rare instance I need 250+ I just pull and iron and lay up. It is either an incredibly long par five, where laying up I still have a chance at birdie, or I duffed my drive on a par four, in that case I just need to take my medicine and keep it to a bogey at worse.

>

> Would you benefit from a driving iron? You said you had two hybrids, a 5w and 3w, how are you on wedges?

Very interesting take. It makes a lot of sense.

I have a 4 & 5 hybrid and then there is a gap until I get to the 5 & 3 wood.

I hadn't considered a driving iron (I'm assuming you're referring to something like Ping crossover). What loft would you be suggesting?

As for wedges, I'm not too bad. _Usually_, it is one of the stronger parts of my game. I'm not too bad from the 7i on up. Driver used to be a nightmare but I've gotten better there and cut several strokes off per 9. My hybrids are decent - not long, but reliable. It's that gap at the 6i and then between my 4 hybrid and 3 & 5 woods that I lose strokes on. I find myself laying up or playing 2 long shots that I could ideally turn into a long shot & chip (I hope that made sense).

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

> @Golfingfanatic said:

> I replaced my 3 wood with a 4 wood and the difference has been remarkable. I feel like the shorter shaft and the additional loft helps me a lot off the deck.

^^^^This worked for me as well. My struggles with 3 wood were so deep into my thought process that I just kept making horrible swings. My 4 wood now goes further than even my "decent" 3 wood strikes because I am making better contact, and swinging with confidence.

> @Joelsim said:

> Would an extra wedge in the bag benefit you more?

AMEN BROTHER. I did just this. Took out the 3 wood, added a wedge. Went from a 52* / 58* wedge setup, to a 50* / 54* / 58*. So much more versatile around the greens and less than 120y in.

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

> @"Little Ned" said:

> Very interesting take. It makes a lot of sense.

> I have a 4 & 5 hybrid and then there is a gap until I get to the 5 & 3 wood.

> I hadn't considered a driving iron (I'm assuming you're referring to something like Ping crossover). What loft would you be suggesting?

> As for wedges, I'm not too bad. _Usually_, it is one of the stronger parts of my game. I'm not too bad from the 7i on up. Driver used to be a nightmare but I've gotten better there and cut several strokes off per 9. > My hybrids are decent - not long, but reliable. **It's that gap at the 6i and then between my 4 hybrid and 3 & 5 woods that I lose strokes on.** I find myself laying up or playing 2 long shots that I could ideally turn into a long shot & chip (I hope that made sense).

That being the case maybe a seven wood? What yardages are you hitting the clubs you have now from 6i up? I'll be honest with you, I don't have any experience packing that many hybrids and woods. I go back and worth between even having a hybrid or 3I in the bag. More often than not I keep the 3I in and only have driver and 3W as woods. Just looking at it from afar with the 4&5 hybrids and a 5 wood and having a gap between them I am wondering about the lofts on what you have.

I hit that hybrid of mine really high. Are you creating a gap between between the last hybrid and first wood due to a difference in ball flights?

What are your iron yardage gaps?

A simple sanity check is to take your driver distance - your longest full shot distance you want to hit with your weakest wedge that is the yardage gap you are trying to spread your remaining clubs across. Say you hit your driver 300 (using whole easy to work with numbers not WRXer driver distances) and your 58* wedge is 100 yards. You have a 200 yard swath of distance you need to divide up with 11 remaining clubs in your bag, twelve actual "gaps." Common practice is to have smaller yardage gaps between your wedges and shorter clubs ("scoring" clubs) and longer gaps with the longer clubs where being right on set distance is not as likely to occur anyway. Straight math gives you a 16 2/3 yard gap (200y/12 gaps=16.6 y/gap). Maybe you only want eight or ten yard gaps on bottom end. You can live with 18-20-25 yard gaps on the upper end. A 4* loft difference between a 3 and 4 iron is different than a 4* loft difference between a 58 and 54 wedge. It manifests itself differently on the course.

> @smashdn said:

>

> That being the case maybe a seven wood?

This thread has been extremely helpful and I've narrowed it down to a 7 wood, 3 hybrid, or nothing at all.

>What yardages are you hitting the clubs you have now from 6i up?

6i is about 150 and 7i is 135-140.

>I'll be honest with you, I don't have any experience packing that many hybrids and woods. I go back and worth between even having a hybrid or 3I in the bag. More often than not I keep the 3I in and only have driver and 3W as woods. Just looking at it from afar with the 4&5 hybrids and a 5 wood and having a gap between them I am wondering about the lofts on what you have.

3w = 14.5* + 1*

5w = 18*

4h = 22*

5h = 26*

6-UW = 27*-50*

54*

58*

>

> I hit that hybrid of mine really high. Are you creating a gap between between the last hybrid and first wood due to a difference in ball flights? Yes. My hyrbids have flight/loft to them whereas my woods are low line drives.

> What are your iron yardage gaps?

It just depends on how clean I strike the ball (sorry, that might be a given common sense response). I hit my 7i more consistent than my 6i, my 8i more consistent than my 7i, and so on.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

> @"Little Ned" said:

> I was fitted for a 3W but if I'm honest with myself, I cannot hit it. Things seem fine at the range. It's on the course that is a different story.

This sounds like maybe the club is a little too long for you if, under the gun, you're struggling.

> @"Little Ned" said:

>When the lies aren't flat, I have trouble. I usually see low line drives that lack consistency.

Yep, there you go. Bad contact and no control? That's a signal your club is too long. That said, how often are you trying to hit a 3w from a funky lie?

> @"Little Ned" said:

>I'm better with my 4 & 5 hybrids and even my 5W.

If you're managing the other long clubs I'd say you just need to either trim down the 3w or practice a bit more. A 3w is a lot more demanding than a 5w but it goes further and may help out.

> @"Little Ned" said:

> FWIW ... I've never tried my 3W off the tee.

Haha...wait...what!? How long are you with it? Are you just not long enough to ever go less-than-driver off the tee?

When I play Walker I could potentially hit 3w off a few different tees (i.e. 1, 2, 9, and 15) as well as into several of the Par-5s (1, 5, 15). Heck, I've hit fairway into #9 as well, LOL!

> @"Little Ned" said:

> Anyway, since I only pull it out once or twice a round (if that), I just feels like I'm wasting a club in my bag. I could make more use of something. I just don't know where to go. Another fairway wood? Hybrid?

IDK...if you lack distance you don't need as many clubs out beyond 180-yds. That's just obvious.

Then again, you might as well carry the 3w for those rare instances where it's worth the risk unless you feel you could stick another wedge in the bag.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> This sounds like maybe the club is a little too long for you if, under the gun, you're struggling.

I don't disagree. That's why I've avoided it and considered using it in live play.

> Yep, there you go. Bad contact and no control? That's a signal your club is too long. That said, how often are you trying to hit a 3w from a funky lie?

Funky lie as in the side of a hill? Or just on a non-flat surface because that's what I'm referring to.

> Haha...wait...what!? How long are you with it? Are you just not long enough to ever go less-than-driver off the tee?

I have no confidence in it. I think I may have mentioned earlier, but I feel better going driver or hybrid than 3w.

> When I play Walker I could potentially hit 3w off a few different tees (i.e. 1, 2, 9, and 15) as well as into several of the Par-5s (1, 5, 15). Heck, I've hit fairway into #9 as well, LOL!

On 1, I go driver to the sand traps. On 2, I lay up with a hybrid and then a 9i to the green. On 9, I'm usually driver to the ridge before it falls back down and leads into the creek. From there, I go for the green or lay up on the right (depending on the lie from my 1st shot).

> IDK...if you lack distance you don't need as many clubs out beyond 180-yds. That's just obvious. Then again, you might as well carry the 3w for those rare instances where it's worth the risk unless you feel you could stick another wedge in the bag.

Very good point. I'd rather have something in the bag that I might pull out several times a round than something I could possibly use once a round if the conditions are right. This kinda leans me toward a 3h/7w or 64*.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

> @"Little Ned" said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > This sounds like maybe the club is a little too long for you if, under the gun, you're struggling.

> I don't disagree. That's why I've avoided it and considered using it in live play.

>

> > Yep, there you go. Bad contact and no control? That's a signal your club is too long. That said, how often are you trying to hit a 3w from a funky lie?

> Funky lie as in the side of a hill? Or just on a non-flat surface because that's what I'm referring to.

>

> > Haha...wait...what!? How long are you with it? Are you just not long enough to ever go less-than-driver off the tee?

> I have no confidence in it. I think I may have mentioned earlier, but I feel better going driver or hybrid than 3w.

>

> > When I play Walker I could potentially hit 3w off a few different tees (i.e. 1, 2, 9, and 15) as well as into several of the Par-5s (1, 5, 15). Heck, I've hit fairway into #9 as well, LOL!

> On 1, I go driver to the sand traps. On 2, I lay up with a hybrid and then a 9i to the green. On 9, I'm usually driver to the ridge before it falls back down and leads into the creek. From there, I go for the green or lay up on the right (depending on the lie from my 1st shot).

>

> > IDK...if you lack distance you don't need as many clubs out beyond 180-yds. That's just obvious. Then again, you might as well carry the 3w for those rare instances where it's worth the risk unless you feel you could stick another wedge in the bag.

> Very good point. I'd rather have something in the bag that I might pull out several times a round than something I could possibly use once a round if the conditions are right. This kinda leans me toward a 3h/7w or 64*.

>

Well, the fairways at Walker are relatively flat, at least on those Par-5 holes so you ought to be getting reasonable looks off the deck, no? I mean, I'm not a 3w aficionado either (who is!?) but those Par-5 holes in particular are some of the better chances I've had to hit my fairways.

So first things first, I'd just go practice a bit more. At least try and figure out how to manage your misses a bit better on the course.

Then again, don't expect on-course to necessarily match your better range shots. That range is pretty ridiculously nice, haha. Last time I was there (maybe a month ago) it was perfection!

That said, a modern 3w will have a bigger head and a longer shaft. Both can make it awkward to hit. Nobody really expects to hit their 3w great off the deck. I'm surprised you don't use it more off the tee though.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I have Ping G400 3 and 5 woods. I’ve gone back and forth between them. The 3W dangles the possibility of reaching long par 5s, but, tracking my yardages with my Garmin GPS watch, I can see that the slight distance gain with a flushed 3W is not worth the more frequent bad shots. The 5W set at big minus is a 4W, replacing the G25 4W that used to occupy the spot. As Dirty Harry wryly observed, a man’s got to know his limitations.

> @MelloYello said:

> > > When I play Walker I could potentially hit 3w off a few different tees (i.e. 1, 2, 9, and 15) as well as into several of the Par-5s (1, 5, 15). Heck, I've hit fairway into #9 as well, LOL!

> > On 1, I go driver to the sand traps. On 2, I lay up with a hybrid and then a 9i to the green. On 9, I'm usually driver to the ridge before it falls back down and leads into the creek. From there, I go for the green or lay up on the right (depending on the lie from my 1st shot).

> >

> > > IDK...if you lack distance you don't need as many clubs out beyond 180-yds. That's just obvious. Then again, you might as well carry the 3w for those rare instances where it's worth the risk unless you feel you could stick another wedge in the bag.

> > Very good point. I'd rather have something in the bag that I might pull out several times a round than something I could possibly use once a round if the conditions are right. This kinda leans me toward a 3h/7w or 64*.

> >

>

> Well, the fairways at Walker are relatively flat, at least on those Par-5 holes so you ought to be getting reasonable looks off the deck, no? I mean, I'm not a 3w aficionado either (who is!?) but those Par-5 holes in particular are some of the better chances I've had to hit my fairways.

>

> So first things first, I'd just go practice a bit more. At least try and figure out how to manage your misses a bit better on the course.

>

> Then again, don't expect on-course to necessarily match your better range shots. That range is pretty ridiculously nice, haha. Last time I was there (maybe a month ago) it was perfection!

>

> That said, a modern 3w will have a bigger head and a longer shaft. Both can make it awkward to hit. Nobody really expects to hit their 3w great off the deck. I'm surprised you don't use it more off the tee though.

>

>

You’re obviously better than I am, so that’s one reason why what seems tough to me is easier to you. But you’re right, I need to practice more. The range is immaculate and a great opportunity to get more comfortable with my 3W.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

> @dubbelbogey said:

> A quick and easy experiment would be to see if choking up on your 3w an inch or even an inch and a half makes a difference in your reliability of getting a clean(er) strike. If so, that'll tell you something useful. It could be as simple as cutting the shaft (and maybe adding a little lead tape, if you're worried about swingweight - to a lot of golfers it's a minor factor) or steer you towards another shorter club e.g. 4/5w or 2h.

>

> I do think the relatively small clubface and relatively longer length of a typical 3w is what makes them problematic for many golfers.

Do this!!!! Choke 1-2” up and see if it helps. 3 woods are way too long...my 3 wood is 41 1/2 and I’ve played mine at that length for 20 years. Easier to make solid contact and the ball flight is way more consistent. Often times can use a slightly softer flex and heavier shaft to keep the overall weight and swing weight up. In all honesty I miss my 3 wood a few times a year. It’s money. I think in the quest for distance, shafts have gotten too light and too long in fairway woods. I look at most stock offerings and they are 65-70 gram shafts at 43 1/2”.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

I think I'm about to take my 5 wood and put a 3 wood shaft into it. Give me that little boost off the tee and give me room to add a new hybrid. Can I hit my 3 wood 230-240 if I catch it just right? Sure. But the odds of that with my swing are lower than I like for consistent scoring.

Callaway Paradym 12* (-1Std) Autoflex SF505X

Callaway Paradym Heavenwood

Ping G425M 20.5* Tensei Raw Org 75S

Ping G425 22* ADIZ85S

Ping G425 26* ADIZ85S

T100S 6-7 (1* weak) Aerotech FC115

T100 8-PW  Aerotech FC115

Titleist T100 50*  Aerotech FC115

Vokey SM8 54.12D/58.8M Aerotech FC115
SC Champ Choice Newport 2 Stability Shaft Tour

I'm one more vote for the hybrid. I was the same in that I hit my driver very well but just could not hit a 3 wood to save my life. I finally took it out and replaced it with a 2 hybrid. It's a Taylor Made M2 and the stated loft is 17*. I turned it down as low as it'll go and the loft is 15.5*. I hit it very consistently, it gets up in the air without any trouble, and at that loft, it's about what a 4 wood would be. I can hit it as far as most people hit three wood, but MUCH more consistently.

> @"Fore Putt" said:

> I'm one more vote for the hybrid. I was the same in that I hit my driver very well but just could not hit a 3 wood to save my life. I finally took it out and replaced it with a 2 hybrid. It's a Taylor Made M2 and the stated loft is 17*. I turned it down as low as it'll go and the loft is 15.5*. I hit it very consistently, it gets up in the air without any trouble, and at that loft, it's about what a 4 wood would be. I can hit it as far as most people hit three wood, but MUCH more consistently.

My exact experience except my 2H is set at 16 degrees. My new M3 2H is also money off the tee when you need 250-270 or so straight. Hybrids are so easy to hit that even when you miss the center they still fly a mile unlike most long irons. I am joining a new club with tree lined fairways on most holes. On shorter Par 4s this club will be used unless I am having a very good day with the driver.

+1 on the 4W or 2 hybrid - I play a 3HL (basically a 4w loft w/ 3w shaft) and even with the longer shaft find it meaningfully easier to hit off the deck than a 13-15* 3 wood. I've also hit a 2 hybrid in the past at the same loft, and for me the wood goes straighter but that's a matter of preference. I would recommend finding 2-3 options you like for each and figuring out what will work best for you. As a side note, you should try hitting these off the tee as well, they can be great on shorter holes or if you're not swinging the driver particularly well

TM M1 9.5* Kuro Kage XT70 X
TM M2 Deep 16.7* Kuro Kage XT80 X
PXG 0317 19* Kuro Kage 80HY TX
Mizuno MP64 4-PW C-Taper S
Vokey SM5 50-55-60 C-Taper S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @gvogel said:

> > @Sweden_William said:

> > I use a 4 wood at 16.5°, and it is amazing how more effective it is for me compared to a 3 wood. I'd say give it a try.

>

> That Ping G25 4-wood in your signature is very dependable, from my own experience.

The Ping G25 4 wood is what you need! I too hated my three wood. Then I got the G25 4 wood, added a heavier shaft (UST VTS 7Red) and cut it down to 42" (5 wood length). The club is easier to hit and goes further than a 5 wood.

Driver:    Taylormade SIM2, Graphite Design ADVR

Fairway: Ping G410 Rogue Silver 110

Hybrid:   Ping G410 KBS Prototype

Irons:      Srixon ZX5 MKii, Accra iCWT115

Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0, 46, 50, 54, 58

Putter:    Kevin Burns

Ball:        Wilson Triad

> @RJ_MJ_JJ said:

> > @Joelsim said:

> > Would an extra wedge in the bag benefit you more?

>

> AMEN BROTHER. I did just this. Took out the 3 wood, added a wedge. Went from a 52* / 58* wedge setup, to a 50* / 54* / 58*. So much more versatile around the greens and less than 120y in.

Couldn’t agree more. A 3W is a club that 95 times out of 100 won’t get on the green, and also not easy to hit well of the tee (I’m way better with my driver than I was with my 3W). A wedge however is gold.

I used to ask this question. Over the last two years I have been working with an instructor. I got my swing less laid off and my takeaway steeper and I’m hitting 2h further and higher than I used to pray to hit 3w.

My instructor hoped I could hit a green and hold it from 210. Now for me that is a 3h/21*. I was missing with 3w outside 195y two years ago. I am 50 and learned golf at 31. So, I have always been a “short” hitter for my physique.

Titleist tsi2 10 tensei blue raw R
Titleist tsi2 16.5 tensei blue raw R
Titleist 816 h1 17/21/25 Diamana red 60 S
Mizuno 6-P JPX 921 HMP recoil 95 f3
Mizuno t20 46/52/58 recoil 95 f3
Mizuno mcraft iii 
Titleist Pro V1x 

I used to carry a 15* 3W and 18* 5W, went to a 16.5* 4W and 21* 7W and very glad I did

Callaway Rogue 10.5* (D & -1*) w/ GD Tour AD-DI 6 Stiff
Callaway RFX 16.5* w/ Fubuki Tour 63g Stiff
Callaway RFX 21* w/ Fubuki Tour 73g Stiff
TaylorMade MC TP 4-PW w/ Aerotech i125cw Reg
Callaway PM 54* & 58*
Odyssey #9 Stroke Lab - 33"
The one's I hit into the woods and into the water.

43” shaft on 3 wood is wrong length for a lot of golfers, myself included. Years ago I would struggle with 3 wood, especially off the deck. Then decided to try taking .5” off in length and made a massive improvement. Then took another .5” off and hardly ever miss hit it. I am only 5’9” and play driver between 44” -44.5” so naturally a shorter 3 wood shaft would be better. I lost zero mph in swing speed ( this is true for driver as well ) , and actually hit the ball better and farther due to god strike location. Amazing how many people overlook the length of the cub.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

> @KevCannon said:

> 43” shaft on 3 wood is wrong length for a lot of golfers, myself included. Years ago I would struggle with 3 wood, especially off the deck. Then decided to try taking .5” off in length and made a massive improvement. Then took another .5” off and hardly ever miss hit it. I am only 5’9” and play driver between 44” -44.5” so naturally a shorter 3 wood shaft would be better. I lost zero mph in swing speed ( this is true for driver as well ) , and actually hit the ball better and farther due to god strike location. Amazing how many people overlook the length of the cub.

Does choking up do the same as cutting xxx length off? I’m 5’9”ish btw.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

> Does choking up do the same as cutting **** length off? I’m 5’9”ish btw.

In theory only. Unless you build up the bottom part of the grip so it is same circumference as top part, it never feels the same way in your grip. Now I am sure there are some people who can do this and it doesn’t bother them or their swing at all. I am not one of those people, 100% feel player and if something feels off with my grip it will effect my swing on the ball. If you decide to cut some length off the butt end of the shaft, just pay attention to the feel of the clubhead. I always have to add some lead tape to bottom of clubhead to get the feel of it back. Cutting down shaft in length will change swing weight, I don’t have/use swing weight scale and just add bits of lead tape until it feels good. If the clubhead uses some sort of weighting system then you can replace weight with heavier one (def prefer this).

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

My index is a 6-7 and I don’t generally carry a 3w. I have an old tour exotics cb2 16 deg hybrid that is money unless I have a downhill lie then I hit te cb2 19 deg. Test out different hybrids at lower lofts until you find one that you like. When I do carry a 3w it is one that I shortened about 1”. I did add a little weight to it (lead tape).