Pushing short putts under pressure - Smaller grip to cure?

golf85

I play a SC Newport 2 with a Super Stroke 2.0 grip. Have had it for a few years and love it all around. I have a slight arc stroke and it suits me well. I have big hands and i used to like the bigger grip as it helped me overall, but now my putting is much more consistent and i have found that on shorter putts (5' ish) especially under pressure, i will grip a tad tight and push the ball.

Anyone ever had this issue? I have been messing around with smaller grips (in stores) and i feel like in these situations it may help me from gripping too tight. With the fatter grip so much hand and palm is on/around the grip its so easy to grip tighter without really noticing it, with a smaller grip you can tell right away.

Thoughts? Or should i just go try one out for a while and see, its only $30 anyways. Thanks!

similar problem here... i've went to a smaller grip and it didn't help. could be a number of reasons. for me, i had too long of a backstroke. on short putts, i tended to then decelerate or not finish the stroke which left them missing right edge. i shortened by backstroke, and then focused on finishing the stroke through the ball and it helped.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

> @barosborough said:

> Maybe try adjusting your stance so the ball is more towards your front foot. Allows the arc to get back to square. I have this tendency and it really helps me out. Can't hurt to try on the practice green.

Thanks, I have previously re-affirmed this to not be the issue, cant really put the ball any further ahead anymore.

You could try a smaller grip, but I kind of doubt it will make much difference. I’d recommend trying to really finish your stroke all the way until after impact. Don’t release the putter head too early, but try to keep the shaft “loaded” until after impact, and first then let it release.

Not sure if that makes sense, but it’s a thought I try to remember for myself under pressure.

Biggest space in golf is between the ears. Get the pressure out of your head and you will be fine. If you think the smaller grip will help, might be all the positive you need to lose the pressure. Im not a good putter so Im just spitballing here....

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

> @golf85 said:

> I play a SC Newport 2 with a Super Stroke 2.0 grip. Have had it for a few years and love it all around. I have a slight arc stroke and it suits me well. I have big hands and i used to like the bigger grip as it helped me overall, but now my putting is much more consistent and i have found that on shorter putts (5' ish) especially under pressure, i will grip a tad tight and push the ball.

> Anyone ever had this issue? I have been messing around with smaller grips (in stores) and i feel like in these situations it may help me from gripping too tight. With the fatter grip so much hand and palm is on/around the grip its so easy to grip tighter without really noticing it, with a smaller grip you can tell right away.

> Thoughts? Or should i just go try one out for a while and see, its only $30 anyways. Thanks!

The way I read this, going to the larger group helped you to improve your putting overall, but you still have a problem with shorter putts. You ascribe the problem to "grip a tad tight". You can certainly try to change your equipment to fix this issue, but by changing to a smaller grip, you may reverse some of the improvement that going to the larger grip has brought about. It might be more productive to find a way to NOT grip tighter on short putts. If you can find a way to put pressure on your putting practice, you may find a way to deal with it better.

Personally, I tend to let my eyes follow the clubhead occasionally, which in turn causes a small movement of my head and body, which makes my direction control erratic.

Lots of things could be the root cause. A grip change might help you better release the putter and the only way to find out is to try. Relatively cheap test.

I had a similar issue and solved it on short putts by focusing on taking the putter back on a straighter line. I think this came from a Johnson Wagner tip I read, where he basically said he was an arc putter but as he got closer to the hole he focused more on taking the putter SBST.

Taylormade Qi10 9*, GD AD-VF 6X
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade P790 4i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

I think it depends where your grip pressure is. I am a right handed golfer, and I notice when my grip pressure is higher in my left hand, particularly my 3 smallest fingers, that I tend to release the toe less than normal. If grip pressure is higher in my right hand, index and thumb, I release the toe more than normal. So if I have a pressure putt, I try to pay attention to where my grip pressure is, and what type of putt I am facing.

I also believe that your awareness to your tendency will help you in the future.

Callaway Rogue SZ (Fujikura Pro 63 X)
Titleist 910 Fd 15 (AD-BB TX 7)
Titleist TMB 2i (AD-95 X)
Titleist TMB 3-4i (KBS C Taper X 130)
Titleist 716 MB 5-9i (KBS C Taper X 130)
Vokey SM4 Raw: 46, 54, 60 (KBS C Taper X 130)
Odyssey Black Series 1W

Have you tried a small forward push with your hands before you start your stroke? Up until a month ago I was exactly the same and getting really frustrated. Now, the forward press starts the stroke without having to lift the club but also helps to ensure a torso swing rather than wristy.

Give it a go, just stick a cup 3 feet away on your carpet at home and bang a few in. I think you’ll find you have a much more positive stroke, far less jitters and more confidence.

Lots of possibilities here. I have been doing this lately and I think its come down to posture and speed.

Posture - if I rush it I won't get my eyes over the ball, my hands will drop (causing hinge), my shoulders will be closed, I will be rushed and i'll pull the putter away like i'm swinging an axe. I'm also left eye dominant so if I don't get my left eye over the ball and my weight into my lead foot i'm in trouble as well.

Speed - if I am not confident and don't commit I will decelerate and push the putter like a lazy old woman.

I am typically very steady inside 5 feet and know I will get past it. Just a matter of practice. Pre-putt routine. Posture checks. Confidence in line. And keeping your head and weight locked in all the way through the putt.

G425 LST 

G425 Max 14.5* 

G425 19* Hybrid 

TM P7MC 4-PW

RTX Zipcore 50*/54*/58*

PING Sigma2 Anser

> @davep043 said:

> > @golf85 said:

> > I play a SC Newport 2 with a Super Stroke 2.0 grip. Have had it for a few years and love it all around. I have a slight arc stroke and it suits me well. I have big hands and i used to like the bigger grip as it helped me overall, but now my putting is much more consistent and i have found that on shorter putts (5' ish) especially under pressure, i will grip a tad tight and push the ball.

> > Anyone ever had this issue? I have been messing around with smaller grips (in stores) and i feel like in these situations it may help me from gripping too tight. With the fatter grip so much hand and palm is on/around the grip its so easy to grip tighter without really noticing it, with a smaller grip you can tell right away.

> > Thoughts? Or should i just go try one out for a while and see, its only $30 anyways. Thanks!

>

> The way I read this, going to the larger group helped you to improve your putting overall, but you still have a problem with shorter putts. You ascribe the problem to "grip a tad tight". You can certainly try to change your equipment to fix this issue, but by changing to a smaller grip, you may reverse some of the improvement that going to the larger grip has brought about. It might be more productive to find a way to NOT grip tighter on short putts. If you can find a way to put pressure on your putting practice, you may find a way to deal with it better.

> Personally, I tend to let my eyes follow the clubhead occasionally, which in turn causes a small movement of my head and body, which makes my direction control erratic.

> @joew2328 said:

> I think it depends where your grip pressure is. I am a right handed golfer, and I notice when my grip pressure is higher in my left hand, particularly my 3 smallest fingers, that I tend to release the toe less than normal. If grip pressure is higher in my right hand, index and thumb, I release the toe more than normal. So if I have a pressure putt, I try to pay attention to where my grip pressure is, and what type of putt I am facing.

>

> I also believe that your awareness to your tendency will help you in the future.

I find the opposite. Too much grip pressure in my left hand relative to my right and I shut the face, and too much in the right and the face opens and putts go right. This is something I actually work on, keeping my grip pressure "even" and not squeezing too much with the last three fingers of either hand as this is what really causes it.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Follow the putter head to the hole and hold until the putt drops, seriously. Short stabby strokes, where you immediately recoil the putter head back to neutral, are often the culprit in botched putts. Just continue the putter head on a line to the hole and hold, obtaining this desired finish position should really free up impact thoughts/tension.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

> @Mike_C said:

> I find the opposite. Too much grip pressure in my left hand relative to my right and I shut the face, and too much in the right and the face opens and putts go right. **This is something I actually work on, keeping my grip pressure "even" and not squeezing too much with the last three fingers of either hand as this is what really causes it. **

You mean you actively work to correct an issue? You don't just change your equipment? That sounds way too difficult.

And yes, I'm being a bit sarcastic, but I'm not a big believer that changing equipment should be the first option for solving an issue, when many times a little work will provide a better and longer-lasting solution.

I find that sometimes on short putts I stand to close to the ball. I putt best with my eyes inside the line and on short putts my eyes will sometimes be over the line. When I let that happen my takeaway can get wonky and a little outside so I subconsciously open the putter face on the forward stroke and push the ball. YMMV

I will add one more thing, especially for misses to the right on short putts. I have had a habit of moving my head (probably my whole body) every so slightly towards the hole on the forward stroke, especially under pressure, maybe I am trying to "wish" the ball in the hole. I never used to think I did such a thing, until one day after playing in a tournament (and missing several short birdie putts) somebody said something to me afterward like "do you always move your head so much on short putts?". Next time out focused on staying really steady over my short putts, and it was almost like magic, I stopped shoving them right...... Now it is one of my first checks when I miss to the right.....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

FIrst of all, I'm not joking...just got to make that clear.

Get an Inside Down The Line Short Track training aid and start grinding. It's an awesome trainer that lets you really feel a stable stroke.

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow