2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Anyone jumping on the Hogan bandwagon?

tsecor

> @tsecor said:

> jbnw87r9vtnd.jpg

> I used to play these....I miss them

I have a set as well, 2-E. A couple were browned when I got them, but I still played them through high school and at least a few years after.

Cobra F9 Atmos Black 7X
Titleist 917 F2 15 Speeder 757X
Titleist 816 H2 19 Diamana S+ 90X
Ben Hogan Ft Worth HI 22 TIX100 AMT SS1X
Ben Hogan FW15 26-46 TIX100 AMT SS1X
TM Hi Toe 50, 54 (55), 58 (60) X100 SS2X
Scotty Cameron

I demoed the PTX Pro when they first came out a couple weeks ago in the DG S300. Arrived brand new and it was a pleasure to take the shine off of them. I currently game the PSI irons and was looking for something a little different. Difficult to compare the 2 as the PSI's have C-Taper 105 shafts, which makes them substantially lighter than the PTX Pro w/ DG S300. Additionally, the PSI's have much stronger lofts. I will say, I am impressed by these irons. When struck well, they are a flying machine. The 9 iron had a strong flight for being "weaker" lofts than PSI and the 6 iron flew similar distance with a high flight while being 2.5* weaker than the PSI. While the two have comparable offsets on paper, the PTX Pro appeared to have less offset, which I feel is due to the duller colors instead of the chrome. The turf interaction was great and felt as though the V-sole was doing its job. The only negatives I had was the duller color (not off-putting or a deal breaker, just not overly attractive) and off-centered hits seemed to lose considerable distance. Again, this is difficult to say without the use of a launch monitor and real golf balls vs just driving range balls. Definitely a solid, forged feel when struck well.

Overall, very impressive. I would encourage people to try the demo program. They will always send a 6 iron and 9 iron so you get to experience shorter and longer irons. Additionally, I have found their customer service to be top notch and shipping to be quick. I had ordered a TK wedge a year ago that showed up at my door broke in half by UPS. I called them and he shipped me a brand new wedge overnight after I emailed him a picture of the wedge and package. Plus, I got to keep the head. Very impressive for a small company.

There is a ton of misinformation in this thread. As someone who has worked directly with the company I'll try to clear a few things up. I am not a lawyer.

1. Current company is not Terry Koehler/SCOR/Eidolon. That version of the company (Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company, LLC) filed Chapter 11 in 2017, and was acquired by BH Golf as a result of the bankruptcy. I believe BH Golf was formed by the largest secured creditor who took ownership of the company in a public sale pursuant to article 9.

2. As a result, BH Golf took ownership of all Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company assets. Even if they were never paid for. All unpaid claims were left with Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company. FST America, maker of KBS shafts, had a claim of nearly $100,000. Among many others.

3. All heads are forged in China, but sets are assembled in Fort Worth. Much of what you see in their current marketing material is footage of their pre-bankruptcy HQ.

4. BH Golf continues to use assets acquired in the public sale even if those assets were never paid for by Ben Hogan Golf Equipment Company, LLC. This is, however, legal according to bankruptcy law.

• Like 1

> @thedurtydurden said:

> I've played FW15's for over 3 yrs now. Some of the best irons I've ever hit, and I love the Hi driving iron as well.

@thedurtydurden can you tell me a bit about how the iron heads especially have played for you? Especially concerning an idealized trajectory and similar distance claims all over the face?

> @tsecor said:

> This company has made great irons for decades and I recently saw the commercial where they advertise "direct to consumer" pricing. a full set of irons for ~$700?? That is what this industry needs...anyone recently buy a set of hogans? if so, how are they? I wonder if this will change the industry at all.....plus they forge in America and assemble in America as well.......

This news is several years old tbh

Taylormade M4 10°, Oban Revenge

Yonex eZone St 15º, Oban Revenge

Tour Edge CB4 19°, Tour AD
Mizuno MP-20 MMC, 4-PW, $ Taper
Callaway Jaws, 50º, 55º, & 60º, KBS Tour
Taylormade Spider

> @JAMH03 said:

> > @thedurtydurden said:

> > I've played FW15's for over 3 yrs now. Some of the best irons I've ever hit, and I love the Hi driving iron as well.

>

> @thedurtydurden can you tell me a bit about how the iron heads especially have played for you? Especially concerning an idealized trajectory and similar distance claims all over the face?

>

I would say they're the most forgiving blades I've ever hit. I actually just played a couple rounds with my old VR Pro's (which I love and played for 3+ years before) and couldn't believe the difference in forgiveness. The Hogan's let you miss it a little thin or slightly toe-y without much punishment. They are a slightly bigger footprint than my VR Pros, but a smaller footprint than something like an AP2. And with matching specs, I get about 5 extra yards out of the Hogans. If anything, trajectory is maybe a smidge higher (which I like), but I have full control over how high/low I want to hit it and play frequently in windy conditions with no problems.

Cobra F9 Atmos Black 7X
Scotty Cameron

The Ft. Worth irons kind of puzzle me. It looks like they scooped out weight from exactly the place you would want it in a blade to create some kind of perimeter weighting? I could be wrong, but they kind of look like a faux-blade design to me.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

> @thedurtydurden said:

> > @JAMH03 said:

> > > @thedurtydurden said:

> > > I've played FW15's for over 3 yrs now. Some of the best irons I've ever hit, and I love the Hi driving iron as well.

> >

> > @thedurtydurden can you tell me a bit about how the iron heads especially have played for you? Especially concerning an idealized trajectory and similar distance claims all over the face?

> >

>

> I would say they're the most forgiving blades I've ever hit. I actually just played a couple rounds with my old VR Pro's (which I love and played for 3+ years before) and couldn't believe the difference in forgiveness. The Hogan's let you miss it a little thin or slightly toe-y without much punishment. They are a slightly bigger footprint than my VR Pros, but a smaller footprint than something like an AP2. And with matching specs, I get about 5 extra yards out of the Hogans. If anything, trajectory is maybe a smidge higher (which I like), but I have full control over how high/low I want to hit it and play frequently in windy conditions with no problems.

That's amazing. Maybe I'll play those in 6-9 we'll see. I'm an unhappy Mizuno CB man ATM Everything you said is what was advertised about those blades when they came out. Gonna have to go into my storage and see if I still have those rifle shafts that I love so much. I could go Nippon 950's as well...

But my days of playing 4 irons are over for now and 5 irons = iffy compared to my 5h. (Tour edge)

I keep putting off trying the Hogans because of the rigormaroll I'm not set up to assemble them etc all.

> @maverickblue76 said:

> The demo program is very easy and the PTx irons and Equalizer wedges are excellent. The prices are excellent. The only negative in my experience is the limited shaft offerings. Unless you play one of the shafts they offer you have no choice but to buy the clubs and reshaft, which negates the direct to consumer discount entirely.

The shaft choice or lack of has kept me from trying the new Hogan's. Love the loft choices, it's incredibly silly not to open up shaft choices just as well.

I think its a good model. Just like buying a driver off the rack, the shaft choices are limited and designed for a large group of players. With the lack of proof regarding "fitting" in relation to scoring improvements, I think it works. Its a throwback. People used to buy clubs out of the back of Golf Digest through companies like Edwin Watts and they played just as well. I do not think limiting shaft choices is that big a deal. To each his own though> @Nard_S said:

> > @maverickblue76 said:

> > The demo program is very easy and the PTx irons and Equalizer wedges are excellent. The prices are excellent. The only negative in my experience is the limited shaft offerings. Unless you play one of the shafts they offer you have no choice but to buy the clubs and reshaft, which negates the direct to consumer discount entirely.

>

> The shaft choice or lack of has kept me from trying the new Hogan's. Love the loft choices, it's incredibly silly not to open up shaft choices just as well.

Played an original set of Edges back when they were introduced. I LOVED them. played them for years until they were stolen. Few years later, I acquired a set of Ft. Worth Edges after playing a middling set of Dunlops or Wilsons from Sports Authority. I played THEM for years and loved them. Last year, I was able to think about going in for a new set of "real" irons and had a decent budget put aside. I somehow came across the Hogan ads as they introduced the Hogan Blacks. It was like I was 13 again dreaming about 'that girl' in High School. I'm a standard all around spec guy, so I went with the KBS shafts and had them less than a week later. At considerable savings over what I was thinking about- TaylorMade or Titleist. Yes, I hadn't played blades since the set before the original Edge's, but these weren't 70's blades. These newer "blades" incorporate "progressive perimeter weighting" and other high tech stuff that certainly wasn't built in to those old Northwestern 'Chi-Chi Rodriguez' blades to be sure. That perimeter weighting was the selling point for the cast GI and SGI clubs that took over the market. And yes, my Hogans are less forgiving than SGI clubs but a LOT more forgiving than older Blades. A mis-hit is still a mis-hit and that won't ever change.

zd037i8cwtvy.jpg

Apex Plus 3-E (kind of similar to the pTx), Bettinardi (sp?) blade style putter, a Fifty-three and a Riviera wedge (58*).

These are underneath the Seamus Golf headcovers.

2e1pxnc9fcy7.jpg

If I needed new irons I would get the pTx or the pTx pro and a driving iron for the 3 iron. I'm good on putters at the moment but might get one if they would come out with a napa-style/8802 clone that is not black.

I would also be curious about the wedges, not crazy about the equalizers but those others that had more meat behind the sweet spot, TK wedges?

> @tsecor said:

> I think its a good model. Just like buying a driver off the rack, the shaft choices are limited and designed for a large group of players. With the lack of proof regarding "fitting" in relation to scoring improvements, I think it works. Its a throwback. People used to buy clubs out of the back of Golf Digest through companies like Edwin Watts and they played just as well. I do not think limiting shaft choices is that big a deal. To each his own though> @Nard_S said:

> > > @maverickblue76 said:

> > > The demo program is very easy and the PTx irons and Equalizer wedges are excellent. The prices are excellent. The only negative in my experience is the limited shaft offerings. Unless you play one of the shafts they offer you have no choice but to buy the clubs and reshaft, which negates the direct to consumer discount entirely.

> >

> > The shaft choice or lack of has kept me from trying the new Hogan's. Love the loft choices, it's incredibly silly not to open up shaft choices just as well.

>

>

Would it really be so difficult to offer TT DG or Nippon Modus too?

> @Nard_S said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > I think its a good model. Just like buying a driver off the rack, the shaft choices are limited and designed for a large group of players. With the lack of proof regarding "fitting" in relation to scoring improvements, I think it works. Its a throwback. People used to buy clubs out of the back of Golf Digest through companies like Edwin Watts and they played just as well. I do not think limiting shaft choices is that big a deal. To each his own though> @Nard_S said:

> > > > @maverickblue76 said:

> > > > The demo program is very easy and the PTx irons and Equalizer wedges are excellent. The prices are excellent. The only negative in my experience is the limited shaft offerings. Unless you play one of the shafts they offer you have no choice but to buy the clubs and reshaft, which negates the direct to consumer discount entirely.

> > >

> > > The shaft choice or lack of has kept me from trying the new Hogan's. Love the loft choices, it's incredibly silly not to open up shaft choices just as well.

> >

> >

>

> Would it really be so difficult to offer TT DG or Nippon Modus too?

They do offer DG R300, S300, and X100.

Cobra F9 Atmos Black 7X
Scotty Cameron

I am looking forward to trying the PTX Pro. I like the direct to consumer model (Snell, Ben Hogan, Vice to name a few): well made components, in-house technical features, 14 day demo (mid & short iron), build to order, and detailed builds. The number of custom options and golfer preferences can get out of hand these days, so keeping a simple inventory makes sense if a large number of people can be accommodated and the business model can be sustained.

It seems the bankruptcy was an eye opener because the shaft options were streamlined (KBS Tour 90 and Tour V, TT DG, and UST Recoil 760/780: https://benhogangolf.com/pages/technical-questions

Interesting history in a short window of time

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/business/2014/05/07/ben-hogan-branded-golf-clubs-to-be-made-in-fort-worth-starting-in-2015

http://www.golfwrx.com/426526/the-ben-hogan-golf-company-files-for-bankruptcy/

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD PGI; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; :mizuno-small: S23, :kbs: 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, :kbs: One Step, :garsen: Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small:XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; :cobra-small:-Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

> @RayGorman said:

> Played an original set of Edges back when they were introduced. I LOVED them. played them for years until they were stolen. Few years later, I acquired a set of Ft. Worth Edges after playing a middling set of Dunlops or Wilsons from Sports Authority. I played THEM for years and loved them. Last year, I was able to think about going in for a new set of "real" irons and had a decent budget put aside. I somehow came across the Hogan ads as they introduced the Hogan Blacks. It was like I was 13 again dreaming about 'that girl' in High School. I'm a standard all around spec guy, so I went with the KBS shafts and had them less than a week later. At considerable savings over what I was thinking about- TaylorMade or Titleist. Yes, I hadn't played blades since the set before the original Edge's, but these weren't 70's blades. These newer "blades" incorporate "progressive perimeter weighting" and other high tech stuff that certainly wasn't built in to those old Northwestern 'Chi-Chi Rodriguez' blades to be sure. That perimeter weighting was the selling point for the cast GI and SGI clubs that took over the market. And yes, my Hogans are less forgiving than SGI clubs but a LOT more forgiving than older Blades. A mis-hit is still a mis-hit and that won't ever change.

These intrigue me as well. How is the black finish holding up?

> @thedurtydurden said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > > @tsecor said:

> > > I think its a good model. Just like buying a driver off the rack, the shaft choices are limited and designed for a large group of players. With the lack of proof regarding "fitting" in relation to scoring improvements, I think it works. Its a throwback. People used to buy clubs out of the back of Golf Digest through companies like Edwin Watts and they played just as well. I do not think limiting shaft choices is that big a deal. To each his own though> @Nard_S said:

> > > > > @maverickblue76 said:

> > > > > The demo program is very easy and the PTx irons and Equalizer wedges are excellent. The prices are excellent. The only negative in my experience is the limited shaft offerings. Unless you play one of the shafts they offer you have no choice but to buy the clubs and reshaft, which negates the direct to consumer discount entirely.

> > > >

> > > > The shaft choice or lack of has kept me from trying the new Hogan's. Love the loft choices, it's incredibly silly not to open up shaft choices just as well.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Would it really be so difficult to offer TT DG or Nippon Modus too?

>

> They do offer DG R300, S300, and X100.

News to me, been to site when they first rolled out, it was all KBS. But that is good.

no, but then you defeat the minimalist model you are creating. > @Nard_S said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > I think its a good model. Just like buying a driver off the rack, the shaft choices are limited and designed for a large group of players. With the lack of proof regarding "fitting" in relation to scoring improvements, I think it works. Its a throwback. People used to buy clubs out of the back of Golf Digest through companies like Edwin Watts and they played just as well. I do not think limiting shaft choices is that big a deal. To each his own though> @Nard_S said:

> > > > @maverickblue76 said:

> > > > The demo program is very easy and the PTx irons and Equalizer wedges are excellent. The prices are excellent. The only negative in my experience is the limited shaft offerings. Unless you play one of the shafts they offer you have no choice but to buy the clubs and reshaft, which negates the direct to consumer discount entirely.

> > >

> > > The shaft choice or lack of has kept me from trying the new Hogan's. Love the loft choices, it's incredibly silly not to open up shaft choices just as well.

> >

> >

>

> Would it really be so difficult to offer TT DG or Nippon Modus too?

> @tsecor said:

> no, but then you defeat the minimalist model you are creating. > @Nard_S said:

> > > @tsecor said:

> > > I think its a good model. Just like buying a driver off the rack, the shaft choices are limited and designed for a large group of players. With the lack of proof regarding "fitting" in relation to scoring improvements, I think it works. Its a throwback. People used to buy clubs out of the back of Golf Digest through companies like Edwin Watts and they played just as well. I do not think limiting shaft choices is that big a deal. To each his own though> @Nard_S said:

> > > > > @maverickblue76 said:

> > > > > The demo program is very easy and the PTx irons and Equalizer wedges are excellent. The prices are excellent. The only negative in my experience is the limited shaft offerings. Unless you play one of the shafts they offer you have no choice but to buy the clubs and reshaft, which negates the direct to consumer discount entirely.

> > > >

> > > > The shaft choice or lack of has kept me from trying the new Hogan's. Love the loft choices, it's incredibly silly not to open up shaft choices just as well.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Would it really be so difficult to offer TT DG or Nippon Modus too?

>

>

Lol, they offer3 lofts per head!!

I have played the Ben Hogan PTx for the last 2.5 years and they are great clubs (and they have helped improve my game). I would recommend them, esp. now that you can get them for $600 on the Outlet page on the Ben Hogan Golf website. I also have 2 TK Wedges and a 18* VKTR hybrid, which are also very good clubs. I've been a Hogan player off and on for over 25 years, and find the current clubs on par with Hogan irons from the 90's and early 2000's. I have switched back and forth between Hogan and Mizuno during those 25 years and frankly find very little difference in the quality of the forgings. A couple of points to help clarify the discussion: First, there are only a few places in the world where club heads are forged- primarily Japan (eg. Endo, Mizuno, Miura), Thailand, and China. Although I prefer Japanese forgings, where a head is forged is not as important as the quality of the carbon steel used and the actual quality of the forging. Second, there are several former Hogan employees from the 80's/90's version of the Hogan Golf company that are still in Fort Worth and work at the new company. They survived AMF, Cosmo World, Spalding, and Callaway ownership. It is no coincidence that Callaway acquired Hogan for their forging expertise, developed their own branded forged offerings, absconded the Apex name, then scuttled the Hogan brand. And there is a darn good reason that Tom Stites ( a Hogan Golf alumni) and Nike located "The Oven" in Fort Worth when they were in the equipment business- there are same darn good club craftsmen still in Fort Worth.

I gamed a set of PTx irons when they came out a couple years ago. I'm a fan of the looks, the v sole and the gapping they offer. What turned me off was the feel. It wasn't horrific but it wasn't that pure forged goodness you get from a brand like Srixon or Mizuno. That being said, they have a good model and the prices are competitive for what you get. I just don't know if it'll be enough for them to keep their head above water when the big dogs have millions to spend on advertising.

> @MTgolf said:

> > @RayGorman said:

> > Played an original set of Edges back when they were introduced. I LOVED them. played them for years until they were stolen. Few years later, I acquired a set of Ft. Worth Edges after playing a middling set of Dunlops or Wilsons from Sports Authority. I played THEM for years and loved them. Last year, I was able to think about going in for a new set of "real" irons and had a decent budget put aside. I somehow came across the Hogan ads as they introduced the Hogan Blacks. It was like I was 13 again dreaming about 'that girl' in High School. I'm a standard all around spec guy, so I went with the KBS shafts and had them less than a week later. At considerable savings over what I was thinking about- TaylorMade or Titleist. Yes, I hadn't played blades since the set before the original Edge's, but these weren't 70's blades. These newer "blades" incorporate "progressive perimeter weighting" and other high tech stuff that certainly wasn't built in to those old Northwestern 'Chi-Chi Rodriguez' blades to be sure. That perimeter weighting was the selling point for the cast GI and SGI clubs that took over the market. And yes, my Hogans are less forgiving than SGI clubs but a LOT more forgiving than older Blades. A mis-hit is still a mis-hit and that won't ever change.

>

> These intrigue me as well. How is the black finish holding up?

Perfectly fine. Normal wear and tear that any clubs get while hitting balls and knocking around with other clubs in the bag. Now I haven't clanked into a boulder in a trap or anything so I can't say if it would survive that.

> @RamminMopar said:

> Don't understand why they went so bladed on the 4/5 iron in the ft worth and the low loft of the 4i (22°)

I believe they chose 34* as a standard (so called 'traditional') loft for the 7 Irons, then gapped ALL the irons at 4* from there. they used to offer this standard set, as well as a stronger and weaker lofted set gapped at 4*. that's how you get to 22 in the 4. 22,26,30,34,38,42,46

these days you have 7 irons as low as 26/28 to get "more distance". What would a 4 iron be in THAT set?