My Golf Spy Ball Test - General Discussion

rkelso184

Obviously this is coming out shortly. Do you think many companies are nervous? Will this make you change your ball?

I think it will come down to some cheaper firm ball with good durability and not so much a big names top offering. I know top quality balls clearly make a difference but I also know alot of players who can still rip a no brand ball and shoot under par. Obviously companies pay players to use a certain ball which is why they do and why they have such a strong presence but also were not them players!

I'm guessing that what they found is that there is not that much difference between the middle tier ball and the top tier ball. Most 3 piece urethane balls will perform similarly and most 2 piece non urethane balls will perform similarly. Consequently, spending the extra money for the big brand names may not be providing you with much in the way of additional performance. The real difference between those balls will come down to dollars and cents, not performance. What I don't know, and would be very interested in, is if they will address the issue of lower compression balls providing better performance for slower swing speeds.

> @cpeck said:

> @jjfcpa is that last sentence a fact?

> @cpeck said:

> @jjfcpa is that last sentence a fact?

Definitely not a fact, but a if you look at packaging and website info for golf balls, you see comments like "for ball swings under 105" or "for ball swings over 105". What exactly is this implying? If you don't have a fast enough swing then you won't be able to compress the ball and it will result in less distance.

> @jjfcpa said:

> I'm guessing that what they found is that there is not that much difference between the middle tier ball and the top tier ball. Most 3 piece urethane balls will perform similarly and most 2 piece non urethane balls will perform similarly. Consequently, spending the extra money for the big brand names may not be providing you with much in the way of additional performance. The real difference between those balls will come down to dollars and cents, not performance. What I don't know, and would be very interested in, is if they will address the issue of lower compression balls providing better performance for slower swing speeds.

From what Dean Snell has said, the lower compression being better for lower swing speeds is mostly a myth. On the other end, it's try super high swing speeds 120+ can lose ball speed off the driver and fairway woods with a too soft ball. But the reverse isn't really true. A slower player doesn't get more ball speed by playing a softer ball. And when you stop and think about it, it makes sense. TXG tests show that Matt doesn't lose any ball speed on a soft ball with a 6i or wedge. He only loses ball speed when he moves up to a driver or fairway wood. The soft ball also doesn't give him more speed off a wedge or 6i, where his ball speed corresponds to a 90MPH player's 6i and driver speeds.

I've also wondered about the idea that a soft ball is better in the cold. I wouldn't think the temperature of the ball would effect distance much. What I think might be happening is that the cold air is denser so spin effects the flight off the ball more (as there is more air to interact with the spin creating more friction). A softer ball generates less spin, so the ball will go further in cold conditions simply because it is spinning less.

• Like 1

> @Joker91 said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > > @Joker91 said:

> > > What test and who is doing it?

> >

> > A certain Site Who Must Not Be Named but whose name rhymes with "high golf pie".

>

> Ok so not a real test then. I can skip it

You have learned well, young Grasshopper. There is nothing more for me to teach you.

• Like 2

I am interested in this coming result, but I got sick of their super long tease.

Titleist                   TSR3 Driver w/GD Tour AD VF 5S
Ping                       G430 3 Wood w/GD Tour AD UB 6S

Ping                       G430 3 Hybrid w/GD Tour AD IZ 85S

Titleist                   T200 4/T150 5-P Irons w/Axiom 105S

Titleist                   48F w/Axiom 105S 54S/60K Wedges w/DG s400

LAB                   Mezz 1 Max Broomstick w/Accra

> @arbeck said:

> I've also wondered about the idea that a soft ball is better in the cold. I wouldn't think the temperature of the ball would effect distance much. What I think might be happening is that the cold air is denser so spin effects the flight off the ball more (as there is more air to interact with the spin creating more friction). A softer ball generates less spin, so the ball will go further in cold conditions simply because it is spinning less.

Think I remember reading that cold can have a detectable but marginal effect on the elasticity of core materials, but that we're talking about really "cold soaking" golf balls (keeping them very cold for a very long time). If you're in conditions where that becomes a factor, I have to question the wisdom of playing in conditions like that in the first place...LOL

The increasing density of air as temperature decreases and the increased drag that results from that has much more to do with distance loss as temps drop.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Joker91 said:

> > What test and who is doing it?

>

> A certain Site Who Must Not Be Named but whose name rhymes with "high golf pie".

Well now, look who's back after almost 6 months

Welcome back NB !!! Hope all is well.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

The most interesting thing about the ball test is probably going to be learning about QC in the brands. They have teased on twitter one brand of ball (unnamed) that had 3 different compression numbers ranging in 30 points from the same box when tested. Titlesist had some interesting videos with Crossfield where they had very small differences in dimple depth on one side of the ball that led to huge curvatures. Having a core misaligned at all could cause huge problems. These are also things that won't show up on an indoor launch monitor. You'll need Trackman outdoors to find this stuff out.

I am interested in their results from the Callaway ERC Soft. I played it last weekend and found it be short and dead feeling. Disappointing to say the least, but the lines were good for putting. ;)

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

> @rgk5 said:

> I am interested in their results from the Callaway ERC Soft. I played it last weekend and found it be short and dead feeling. Disappointing to say the least, but the lines were good for putting. ;)

I played the ERC Soft for about 4 or 5 rounds and didn't find it dead at all. Quite the opposite actually. And distance was excellent as well; almost as long as the AVX. I ended up back to the AVX because I didn't like the clicky feel, it seemed to release a bit too much on short irons shot to the green and it seemed a little too lively chipping.

Strangely(?) enough, although I have a terrible time trying to get a single line on a golf ball pointed correctly for putting, the 3 line system was a lot easier to do it, so I did use the 3 lines and it seemed to work pretty well.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @rgk5 said:

> I am interested in their results from the Callaway ERC Soft. I played it last weekend and found it be short and dead feeling. Disappointing to say the least, but the lines were good for putting. ;)

Curious to see if they test Kirkland and how it compares. Some tee shots I feel it's on par with others, other shots I feel it spins much more than others.

It was cold (50*) and wet. I'll try it again tomorrow and Sunday when it should be in the low 60s.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

> @"North Butte" said:

> > @Joker91 said:

> > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > @Joker91 said:

> > > > What test and who is doing it?

> > >

> > > A certain Site Who Must Not Be Named but whose name rhymes with "high golf pie".

> >

> > Ok so not a real test then. I can skip it

>

> You have learned well, young Grasshopper. There is nothing more for me to teach you.

Do they have a history of inaccurate tests? I’m not familiar.

> @FlashbackPT said:

> > @"North Butte" said:

> > > @Joker91 said:

> > > > @"North Butte" said:

> > > > > @Joker91 said:

> > > > > What test and who is doing it?

> > > >

> > > > A certain Site Who Must Not Be Named but whose name rhymes with "high golf pie".

> > >

> > > Ok so not a real test then. I can skip it

> >

> > You have learned well, young Grasshopper. There is nothing more for me to teach you.

>

> Do they have a history of inaccurate tests? I’m not familiar.

>

They have been pretty good from my reading.... the big newsstand articles seem much less relevant IMHO...

Titleist TSR3 - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Rogue LS - 15* - Tour ADXC 7x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - KBS Tour 120 Wedge

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft TruTrack (Winter)
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

> @arbeck said:

> > @jjfcpa said:

> > I'm guessing that what they found is that there is not that much difference between the middle tier ball and the top tier ball. Most 3 piece urethane balls will perform similarly and most 2 piece non urethane balls will perform similarly. Consequently, spending the extra money for the big brand names may not be providing you with much in the way of additional performance. The real difference between those balls will come down to dollars and cents, not performance. What I don't know, and would be very interested in, is if they will address the issue of lower compression balls providing better performance for slower swing speeds.

>

> From what Dean Snell has said, the lower compression being better for lower swing speeds is mostly a myth. On the other end, it's try super high swing speeds 120+ can lose ball speed off the driver and fairway woods with a too soft ball. But the reverse isn't really true. A slower player doesn't get more ball speed by playing a softer ball. And when you stop and think about it, it makes sense. TXG tests show that Matt doesn't lose any ball speed on a soft ball with a 6i or wedge. He only loses ball speed when he moves up to a driver or fairway wood. The soft ball also doesn't give him more speed off a wedge or 6i, where his ball speed corresponds to a 90MPH player's 6i and driver speeds.

>

> I've also wondered about the idea that a soft ball is better in the cold. I wouldn't think the temperature of the ball would effect distance much. What I think might be happening is that the cold air is denser so spin effects the flight off the ball more (as there is more air to interact with the spin creating more friction). A softer ball generates less spin, so the ball will go further in cold conditions simply because it is spinning less.

I've seen lots of product specs related to golf balls that say, for example, "for swing speeds below 105", "for swing speeds above 105". I can see why they would say for swing speeds "below 105" because those with high swings might lose distance; but why say anything regarding "swings speeds above 105" if there is no detriment to distance if they have a slower swing speed? I know Bridgestone's product specs includes this information and probably others...

> @jjfcpa said:

> > @arbeck said:

> > > @jjfcpa said:

> > > I'm guessing that what they found is that there is not that much difference between the middle tier ball and the top tier ball. Most 3 piece urethane balls will perform similarly and most 2 piece non urethane balls will perform similarly. Consequently, spending the extra money for the big brand names may not be providing you with much in the way of additional performance. The real difference between those balls will come down to dollars and cents, not performance. What I don't know, and would be very interested in, is if they will address the issue of lower compression balls providing better performance for slower swing speeds.

> >

> > From what Dean Snell has said, the lower compression being better for lower swing speeds is mostly a myth. On the other end, it's try super high swing speeds 120+ can lose ball speed off the driver and fairway woods with a too soft ball. But the reverse isn't really true. A slower player doesn't get more ball speed by playing a softer ball. And when you stop and think about it, it makes sense. TXG tests show that Matt doesn't lose any ball speed on a soft ball with a 6i or wedge. He only loses ball speed when he moves up to a driver or fairway wood. The soft ball also doesn't give him more speed off a wedge or 6i, where his ball speed corresponds to a 90MPH player's 6i and driver speeds.

> >

> > I've also wondered about the idea that a soft ball is better in the cold. I wouldn't think the temperature of the ball would effect distance much. What I think might be happening is that the cold air is denser so spin effects the flight off the ball more (as there is more air to interact with the spin creating more friction). A softer ball generates less spin, so the ball will go further in cold conditions simply because it is spinning less.

>

> I've seen lots of product specs related to golf balls that say, for example, "for swing speeds below 105", "for swing speeds above 105". I can see why they would say for swing speeds "below 105" because those with high swings might lose distance; but why say anything regarding "swings speeds above 105" if there is no detriment to distance if they have a slower swing speed? I know Bridgestone's product specs includes this information and probably others...

Something like 80% of Golfers prefer a softer ball. It just feels nicer to hit. Given that you can make a softer ball and slower swing speeds won't lose distance, it makes sense for a manufacturer to recommend the softer ball to them.

> @NJpatbee said:

> I still do not know who "they" are so I have no idea if I care about the ball test.

Google “Tony Covey golf”.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Regarding the soft ball for slower swing speed debate, note that Bridgestone switched from swing speed to handicap for parsing out ball model recommendations. So, they're either assuming swing speed correlates directly with handicap (which it definitely doesn't), or they're saying more variables come into play than just raw swing speed. Like center-face hits for instance, which probably correlates pretty well with handicap. I think the tolerance of less than perfect strikes is the main benefit of soft balls, you can still compress the ball on less than perfect strikes. For a low handicap golfer that consistently compresses the ball, there is no need to take the tradeoffs associated with playing a softer ball. I don't think it is possible to maximize ball speed while at the same time maximizing the tolerance for variation in strike quality, hence the decrease in max ball speed on low compression balls vs high compression balls when both are struck purely.

TaylorMade M5 / Callaway Mavrik 3W / Maltby KE4 FDI 19 / Callaway Mavrik Pro 3H / Maltby TS1 4-GW / Callaway MD2 56 / Odyssey Double Wide / Titleist Pro V1

> @c50sooner said:

> Regarding the soft ball for slower swing speed debate, note that Bridgestone switched from swing speed to handicap for parsing out ball model recommendations. **So, they're either assuming swing speed correlates directly with handicap (which it definitely doesn't)**, or they're saying more variables come into play than just raw swing speed. Like center-face hits for instance, which probably correlates pretty well with handicap. I think the tolerance of less than perfect strikes is the main benefit of soft balls, you can still compress the ball on less than perfect strikes. For a low handicap golfer that consistently compresses the ball, there is no need to take the tradeoffs associated with playing a softer ball. I don't think it is possible to maximize ball speed while at the same time maximizing the tolerance for variation in strike quality, hence the decrease in max ball speed on low compression balls vs high compression balls when both are struck purely.

The best correlation in golf is:

handicap average driver club speedk0ccnleyaj93.png

Driver: Cobra F9 with HZRDUS SMOKE Stiff
3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff
2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
Irons: Mizuno MP-54 3-PW DG S300 
Wedge: Vokey TVD 56 K-Grind
Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind 
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2