ddetts' Swing Journey - 2020 Goals & Updated Swing Progress pg. 17

ddetts

> @wmblake2000 said:

> Lots of apps do this but they are a pain in the butt to use to me.

That's where I'm at, I don't like fiddling around with my phone during a round so i'd probably be more inclined to keep stats on a scorecard and then do something after the round. I'm sure I could scrap something solid together in Excel, if I knew some of the better stats to keep and calculate.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @ddetts said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > Looks like a great forecast the next couple of days!

> >

> > I'm really hoping to play Saturday as well but the war department probably won't approve.

>

> LOL, played 18 and the Secretary for All Things Women joined me for 9 more!

As anticipated my request to golf was denied by the war department. All good though, got to watch my kid and the nieces & nephews have a big Easter egg hunt.

The good news is that next week looks great and I'll likely play again Wednesday or Thursday.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

DD -

It might not maintain the most sophisticated stats but for the past 18 months or so I’ve been using The Grint as my on-course gps, score keeping, stat keeping app. It’s extremely easy to use and keeps a fair amount of different stats. I’d say at the very least check it out (if you haven’t already).

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> DD -

>

> It might not maintain the most sophisticated stats but for the past 18 months or so I’ve been using The Grint as my on-course gps, score keeping, stat keeping app. It’s extremely easy to use and keeps a fair amount of different stats. I’d say at the very least check it out (if you haven’t already).

I prefer to use my rangefinder over GPS, so I don't worry about the GPS features on anything.

I have used The Grint before, but never the paid/premium membership before. Do you use the "PRO" version? I find the free is pretty limited.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > DD -

> >

> > It might not maintain the most sophisticated stats but for the past 18 months or so I’ve been using The Grint as my on-course gps, score keeping, stat keeping app. It’s extremely easy to use and keeps a fair amount of different stats. I’d say at the very least check it out (if you haven’t already).

>

> I prefer to use my rangefinder over GPS, so I don't worry about the GPS features on anything.

>

> I have used The Grint before, but never the paid/premium membership before. Do you use the "PRO" version? I find the free is pretty limited.

I use pro version. I also use my laser for most yardages.

What I like about the grint is data input is really fast. In less than ten seconds I can mark my score, fairway hit or missed (missed short, left, right, long), how many putts and so on....

It Keeps track of my scoring average, putting average, GIR, FW, Up and Down, Sand Saves, Miss % right vs left, putts per green, putts per round.... I’ve never used the free version but I’d say the pro has quiet a bit for such an easy to use app. The pro version also has shot-tracker so you can gps track distances your hitting clubs. In my thread I’ve not-so-humble bragged on a few of my better drives ;)

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @ddetts said:

> > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > DD -

> > >

> > > It might not maintain the most sophisticated stats but for the past 18 months or so I’ve been using The Grint as my on-course gps, score keeping, stat keeping app. It’s extremely easy to use and keeps a fair amount of different stats. I’d say at the very least check it out (if you haven’t already).

> >

> > I prefer to use my rangefinder over GPS, so I don't worry about the GPS features on anything.

> >

> > I have used The Grint before, but never the paid/premium membership before. Do you use the "PRO" version? I find the free is pretty limited.

>

> I use pro version. I also use my laser for most yardages.

>

> What I like about the grint is data input is really fast. In less than ten seconds I can mark my score, fairway hit or missed (missed short, left, right, long), how many putts and so on....

>

> It Keeps track of my scoring average, putting average, GIR, FW, Up and Down, Sand Saves, Miss % right vs left, putts per green, putts per round.... I’ve never used the free version but I’d say the pro has quiet a bit for such an easy to use app. The pro version also has shot-tracker so you can gps track distances your hitting clubs. In my thread I’ve not-so-humble bragged on a few of my better drives ;)

It would be nice to track some yardages to verify I know my distances, I may have to give it a try.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > @ddetts said:

> > > > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > > > DD -

> > > >

> > > > It might not maintain the most sophisticated stats but for the past 18 months or so I’ve been using The Grint as my on-course gps, score keeping, stat keeping app. It’s extremely easy to use and keeps a fair amount of different stats. I’d say at the very least check it out (if you haven’t already).

> > >

> > > I prefer to use my rangefinder over GPS, so I don't worry about the GPS features on anything.

> > >

> > > I have used The Grint before, but never the paid/premium membership before. Do you use the "PRO" version? I find the free is pretty limited.

> >

> > I use pro version. I also use my laser for most yardages.

> >

> > What I like about the grint is data input is really fast. In less than ten seconds I can mark my score, fairway hit or missed (missed short, left, right, long), how many putts and so on....

> >

> > It Keeps track of my scoring average, putting average, GIR, FW, Up and Down, Sand Saves, Miss % right vs left, putts per green, putts per round.... I’ve never used the free version but I’d say the pro has quiet a bit for such an easy to use app. The pro version also has shot-tracker so you can gps track distances your hitting clubs. In my thread I’ve not-so-humble bragged on a few of my better drives ;)

>

> It would be nice to track some yardages to verify I know my distances, I may have to give it a try.

Yep. I don’t exactly have access to a trackman all the time to do gap testing. So If I hit a pure 9i and if I was making a “stock” swing that’ll be one that I might track on occasion to see what my 9i is carrying. Know what I mean?

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

@ebrasmus21 no access to trackman or flightscope here either, by there is a place with a full swing simulator right by my neighborhood. So I could fyi there sometime to document distances.

I'm pretty convinced I'll give the grint PRO a try for stats and shot tracking.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> @ebrasmus21 no access to trackman or flightscope here either, by there is a place with a full swing simulator right by my neighborhood. So I could fyi there sometime to document distances.

>

> I'm pretty convinced I'll give the grint PRO a try for stats and shot tracking.

It’s a good option and a small investment. Completely worth trying out.

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Ah, I wasn't aware there is a pro level that tracks distances. I use the grint some but only have the free version. The pro seems like worth it... if ... IF ... the pain in the butt of using/keeping my phone on me doesn't stop me (I walk, like to put the phone in my bag and forget about it)...

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> Ah, I wasn't aware there is a pro level that tracks distances. I use the grint some but only have the free version. The pro seems like worth it... if ... IF ... the pain in the butt of using/keeping my phone on me doesn't stop me (I walk, like to put the phone in my bag and forget about it)...

I'm trying to find a good phone mount for my push cart that will make it more convenient for entering info.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > Ah, I wasn't aware there is a pro level that tracks distances. I use the grint some but only have the free version. The pro seems like worth it... if ... IF ... the pain in the butt of using/keeping my phone on me doesn't stop me (I walk, like to put the phone in my bag and forget about it)...

>

> I'm trying to find a good phone mount for my push cart that will make it more convenient for entering info.

That's interesting. Never imagined that possibility....I worry about carrying it in my back pocket as I play, taking it in and out to enter.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

@wmblake2000 I think something like this would work pretty well. I can get my push cart pretty close to my ball for shot tracking. Also, wouldn't have to constantly be getting phone out of pocket, unlocking screen, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWDCSIZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wdgVCbPR3EZ9G

8286kdle9nl5.jpg

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> @wmblake2000 I think something like this would work pretty well. I can get my push cart pretty close to my ball for shot tracking. Also, wouldn't have to constantly be getting phone out of pocket, unlocking screen, etc.

>

> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LWDCSIZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wdgVCbPR3EZ9G

>

> 8286kdle9nl5.jpg

>

Nice! Ok on my todo list - this plus pro version of grint. I’m not in the greatest of rushed because I am in the midst of cataract surgeries/lens replacement and can’t play during 2 weeks post surgery. But this is a revelation- never occurred to me at all this was possible and it’s the perfect solution. So thanks a lot for passing it along!

• Like 1

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Plus - added bonus - it’s something I just showed my wife so she could roll her eyes and laugh at me about and - and - when people see this on my cart they’ll know I’m like a dweeb and a half, which I like! So this is a def buy.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> Plus - added bonus - it’s something I just showed my wife so she could roll her eyes and laugh at me about and - and - when people see this on my cart they’ll know I’m like a dweeb and a half, which I like! So this is a def buy.

No problem, surprised I hadn't thought of it before.

Yeah, I'm used to getting all kinds of flack from my wife and family that aren't golfers for my golf geekiness. Thankfully my regular partners are golf freaks too, so they fully understand.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > Plus - added bonus - it’s something I just showed my wife so she could roll her eyes and laugh at me about and - and - when people see this on my cart they’ll know I’m like a dweeb and a half, which I like! So this is a def buy.

>

> No problem, surprised I hadn't thought of it before.

>

> Yeah, I'm used to getting all kinds of flack from my wife and family that aren't golfers for my golf geekiness. Thankfully my regular partners are golf freaks too, so they fully understand.

There’s another benefit from this. Swings on the range - the challenge for me is to get them to the course. It would be great to see video on course but before this it would be so awkward, time consuming. But with mount video and replay will be much easier.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @ddetts said:

> > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > Plus - added bonus - it’s something I just showed my wife so she could roll her eyes and laugh at me about and - and - when people see this on my cart they’ll know I’m like a dweeb and a half, which I like! So this is a def buy.

> >

> > No problem, surprised I hadn't thought of it before.

> >

> > Yeah, I'm used to getting all kinds of flack from my wife and family that aren't golfers for my golf geekiness. Thankfully my regular partners are golf freaks too, so they fully understand.

>

> There’s another benefit from this. Swings on the range - the challenge for me is to get them to the course. It would be great to see video on course but before this it would be so awkward, time consuming. But with mount video and replay will be much easier.

>

>

I use this for capturing video in my practice sessions:

https://www.selfiegolfusa.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwqfDlBRBDEiwAigXUaBy5LC4HraOYpzCRwfwbrLDtyR5dVqzSqJQF7_sDiJnutV4-4ULl6BoC9e4QAvD_BwE

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > @ddetts said:

> > > > @wmblake2000 said:

> > > > Plus - added bonus - it’s something I just showed my wife so she could roll her eyes and laugh at me about and - and - when people see this on my cart they’ll know I’m like a dweeb and a half, which I like! So this is a def buy.

> > >

> > > No problem, surprised I hadn't thought of it before.

> > >

> > > Yeah, I'm used to getting all kinds of flack from my wife and family that aren't golfers for my golf geekiness. Thankfully my regular partners are golf freaks too, so they fully understand.

> >

> > There’s another benefit from this. Swings on the range - the challenge for me is to get them to the course. It would be great to see video on course but before this it would be so awkward, time consuming. But with mount video and replay will be much easier.

> >

> >

>

> I use this for capturing video in my practice sessions:

> https://www.selfiegolfusa.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwqfDlBRBDEiwAigXUaBy5LC4HraOYpzCRwfwbrLDtyR5dVqzSqJQF7_sDiJnutV4-4ULl6BoC9e4QAvD_BwE

Practice at the range is easy - my stand bag handle is a great holder... when it’s not on a cart. I video about 25% of my range swings...

• Like 1

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> DD -

>

> It might not maintain the most sophisticated stats but for the past 18 months or so I’ve been using The Grint as my on-course gps, score keeping, stat keeping app. It’s extremely easy to use and keeps a fair amount of different stats. I’d say at the very least check it out (if you haven’t already).

So I gave The Grint's premium version a go yesterday and I just couldn't get into it. How they have the shot tracking set up is just cumbersome and really annoying. The scorecard and entering the stats wasn't too bad, but after trying to track a couple of shots on the first two holes I quickly gave up on that.

One of the main issues, I can't really blame on the app so much as my setup. I hate constantly pulling my phone of my pocket, unlocking the screen and messing with the app. So I need to get a phone mount/clamp setup for the push cart that makes it easy to leave the phone in, and set my screen lock timer to like 5 or 10 minutes or never. I'm just uncertain about how quickly this will drain my battery, but perhaps if I set the screen brightness low it won't be too bad.

I am going to give the TaylorMade myRoundPro app a shot, as it seems the shot tracking is a bit easier and flows better. Not sure if you put much effort into trying to track putts and distances but that seems like a real PITA and hard to get precise on these apps.

Also, an update to come on Round 2 of 2019 and progress being made.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @ebrasmus21 said:

> > DD -

> >

> > It might not maintain the most sophisticated stats but for the past 18 months or so I’ve been using The Grint as my on-course gps, score keeping, stat keeping app. It’s extremely easy to use and keeps a fair amount of different stats. I’d say at the very least check it out (if you haven’t already).

>

> So I gave The Grint's premium version a go yesterday and I just couldn't get into it. How they have the shot tracking set up is just cumbersome and really annoying. The scorecard and entering the stats wasn't too bad, but after trying to track a couple of shots on the first two holes I quickly gave up on that.

>

> One of the main issues, I can't really blame on the app so much as my setup. I hate constantly pulling my phone of my pocket, unlocking the screen and messing with the app. So I need to get a phone mount/clamp setup for the push cart that makes it easy to leave the phone in, and set my screen lock timer to like 5 or 10 minutes or never. I'm just uncertain about how quickly this will drain my battery, but perhaps if I set the screen brightness low it won't be too bad.

>

> I am going to give the TaylorMade myRoundPro app a shot, as it seems the shot tracking is a bit easier and flows better. Not sure if you put much effort into trying to track putts and distances but that seems like a real PITA and hard to get precise on these apps.

>

> Also, an update to come on Round 2 of 2019 and progress being made.

Well, it could be that I just settle for an app too quickly. I'm just curious, could you elaborate on what's cumbersome with the shot tracker? Typically I might use that feature once a round... If I was using it all the time maybe I'd share your opinion.

When I turn the grint on I also change my iphone battery settings to *low power mode* because, yes, it is a battery hog.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

@ebrasmus21 I don't know if it's different for iOS and Android (which I have), but the way you track shots seemed counter intuitive to me. You have to go to the GPS screen, tap the shot tracker button, and then had to leave it on that screen. It was like if I went back to the non-GPS screen or to the scorecard it turned off shot tracking. Then when I would go to end the first shot and start the second, things were all jacked up. I'm going to see if the have a tutorial as it's possible I was doing it wrong. I would think from a technology standpoint all you need to do is save each point (like putting pins on a map), with the club you hit and the app can calculate the distance between points in the background or while not being on the GPS screen. Other problem I ran into is that some courses have undergone changes here in the last 2 years and not all holes seemed up to date. Most were, but a couple were not.

I always have my phone on battery saver mode, just habit I guess.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Interesting. Truth be told I don't know all the features on the shot tracker; I've never tried to fully utilize it. You could be right, maybe it is too hard to use. I only use it one shot at a time and even then it's only for one or two shots a round, typically.

The Grint is good at making course updates if you send them a note. I've found them to be pretty responsive.

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> Interesting. Truth be told I don't know all the features on the shot tracker; I've never tried to fully utilize it. You could be right, maybe it is too hard to use. I only use it one shot at a time and even then it's only for one or two shots a round, typically.

>

> The Grint is good at making course updates if you send them a note. I've found them to be pretty responsive.

I'm just a little stuck on how to get the right mix of getting meaningful stats while keeping the time/effort required on the lower side, mainly as I don't want to slow down my rounds and playing partners.

Today - I mark on my scorecard the following: Score, Fairway (Y/N), Fairway Miss Direction (Left/Right), GIR (Y/N), GIR miss direction (Long/Short/Left/Right), # of pitches, # chips, # putts, OB/Haz/Lost/Oth Penalties & sand shot(s) with Y/N for sand save. GHIN has an advanced scoring option when you post scores hole by hole and I've been taking advantage of that. It produces some pretty decent stats and recording the info doesn't take very long between holes or while waiting for partners to hit.

quqbozl7ysoe.jpg

I'm going to try a couple more apps (18 birdies, TaylorMade myRoundPro, and perhaps SwingU or Golfshot) to see if I can find a replacement for doing it by hand. Otherwise, I may just have to eliminate the shot tracking capabilities from my criteria and just go off easy of capturing stats and how detailed and good the stats are within an app.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

You could go the other direction. All out maximum stat tracking via DECADE. I did it for a while but it was overkill for me and data input takes a considerable amount of time. To give the decade folks credit they've made some respectable improvements regarding data entry so they deserve kudos there. But if you are really serious about stats I don't think there's any comparison. Bryson uses decade - need I say more?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Yeah, I've looked into GolfMetrics and Shot By Shot but I am not familiar with Decade4. I'm just not sure that my game warrants that level of detail for the level I am playing at for the moment. Right now my game boils down to needing about 2-3 more fairways a round, 6-7 more GIR / round and 2-3 more up & downs. Still a little winter rust coming off, but my short game isn't quite there yet. Leaving a number of chips and pitches shorter than they should be and a lot of that I think I can just blame on the greens being quite slow as they haven't grown in and gotten to normal speed yet.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

# Warning! Venting ahead!

Really just posting to take my frustration out on the keyboard. Had our first night of match play league last night and I took the inevitable step backwards in my progress last night. After shooting +11 and then +9 on my first two 18 hole rounds I felt like things were coming together and I was off to a much better start than previous years. I'd typically been a slow starter every year, usually hovering around bogey golf the first few weeks.

Well, last night I shot +11 for 9 holes, so I'm pretty humble now! To be fair it was low 40s temperature, raining most of the round and recently sanded greens made putting on wet sand a crapshoot. The ball picked up a lot of sand and didn't roll very true. It's also been quite wet here, so a lot of mud and soggy areas to deal with. Putting probably cost me 3-4 strokes but I also had 4 penalty strokes (3 shots lost to the right and 1 really fatted wedge). Regardless, I don't feel like using those as excses as I could've played much better and there were a few guys who still managed to shoot low 40s and I think even one or two in the high 30s.

Probably sounds odd to say, but the three penalty shots lost right while they don't make me happy they do tell me I'm still getting some things right with my swing as I've almost completely eliminated my big pull (that could end up being pull draws missed way left). So, I've traded one miss for another, but I think right now I'm just not mentally trusting the new swing and holding off release (what I had to do previously to avoid the left, going further left shot) or possibly extending the lead wrist a little in backswing. Need to get some fresh video to investigate and probably another online lesson with @MonteScheinblum to try and sort things out.

Good news is were supposed to warm back up, hopefully dry out some and I can get back to some focused practice.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> Beginning of the season. Don’t lose hope yet!

I know progress isn't a linear function, but I'd like to go from 2 steps forward/1 step back to something like 4 steps forward/half step back!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen