2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

How I learned to stop worrying and love single-length irons

pinestreetgolf

VL irons can be made to be SL, I have done it from 5 - GW. You'll have to drill out weight from the shorter iron heads, and add weight to the longer iron heads. I used lead tape for that. I am not that familiar with the J40's, but maybe you could just check out the Cobra Forged Ones.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

> @Snowman9000 said:

> VL irons can be made to be SL, I have done it from 5 - GW. You'll have to drill out weight from the shorter iron heads, and add weight to the longer iron heads. I used lead tape for that. I am not that familiar with the J40's, but maybe you could just check out the Cobra Forged Ones.

Only problem is the J40s are sexier than the Cobras :D

Personally I found the one length concept to be less concistent than variable length clubs. I only played a set of 6-GW (with the lofts being so strong) and I felt that the little improvement I gained with the 6 iron didn't compensate to what I lost concistensy wise with the shorter irons being so much longer.

Now I'm trying out a set of Callaway Steelhead XR Pro's and I have a feeling I won't regret a change.

> @Snowman9000 said:

> VL irons can be made to be SL, I have done it from 5 - GW. You'll have to drill out weight from the shorter iron heads, and add weight to the longer iron heads. I used lead tape for that. I am not that familiar with the J40's, but maybe you could just check out the Cobra Forged Ones.

Its the typical WRX situation. On the one hand, I like the Pinhawks. They've played two in-competition rounds and one was very strong and one was very not strong. The shafts are $4.89, the grips are knock-off NDMCs that cost $0.89. To complete my set (lob wedge en route) was about $20. The clubs have a lot of offset, they are not particularly hot and the shafts launch low and heavy. But its the devil I know.

Contrast to that is getting something super nice (OneLength probably, maybe Sterling or Edel) with my shafts x100 SL and NDMC grips. But that is going to set me back $600-800 used, $1100 - 1300 new. Just not sure the performance upgrade is there.

I feel a little silly with this train of thought:

1. I know what I'm doing with golf clubs. SL is dumb.

2. Actually, SL is pretty good for scoring and not blowing up on holes. I'll switch to a cheap set and start doing well.

3. I know what i'm doing with golf clubs. This particular SL set is dumb.

That doesn't *seems* like a good chain of reasoning, but I can't help the "if these cheap SLs are so good imagine how good the super expensive ones will be" reasoning.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Does anyone know if there is a SL-particular instruction site? I've done some googling but haven't found much. Specifically, I'd love to get some tips on:

1. Hitting out of a bunker with a SL club

2. Can I grind some heel relief into my SL lob wedge without destroying the weight so much it doesn't feel SL

3. How do you hit the following shot: you drive into the trees, slightly. You have a clear view of the green, guarded by a bunker. You want to hit a ear-high ball that curves left to right. Mine just balloon up instantly. I have a very hard time hitting ground balls with SL irons. I used to be extremely good at hooding a 3 iron and blasting shots like this with VL clubs. I can either run it low or make it curve with SL, but I'm having a helluva time doing both on the same shot (low and curving).

4. Has anyone hit the in1zone single length driver? Its got the same lie angle as my hybrids. Might be interesting to carry that and a Bryson-style tee it high let it fly 47.5" bomber.

5. Spinning the wedges out of a tight lie on a short pitch. I used to be very good at the rotary swing use-the-bounce pitch that was one hop and stop. With the pinhawks it hops and rolls out 8-12 feet.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

I'm really interested in trying out SL as I'm looking for a new iron set this summer. Does anyone have recommendations on a good set to start out looking at for a low capper? I've done the online research and the F9s just look so bulky. ForgedOne alright? I see Edel does a set that luckily I should be able to try out at my local Club Champion. Anything else out there that doesn't look huge?

TIA

Titleist TS4 9.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TX
Callaway Epic SubZero 13.5* - Fujikura Motore Speeded TS 6.3X
TaylorMade SLDR 2h 17* - Fujikura Pro 83h X
Sub 70 699 ProU 3i 19* - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X

Sub70 699 5-7i, 699 Pro 8-P - Aerotech Steelfiber 110 X
Maltby Max Milled Wedges .900" - 50* & 56*
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 64*
Bettinardi Queen B #8
Titleist AVX Yellow (Summer) / Srixon Q-Star Tour Yellow (Winter)
Born in the USA, Made in Detroit, Grinding in San Diego

Spartan, I'm currently an 8 (was at 4 a couple years ago), am using Cobra King Forged One irons and they are working for me. My last set was Mizuno MP-64. The lofts are only 1° stronger than the MPs and they're not Mizuno feel but they feel pretty good. If you go that route watch out for the lie angle as they are 1° more upright than Mizuno standard lofts.

One caveat, I'm only playing PW - 5 UT at the SL standard 37.5". My wedges are all Mizuno PW length, whatever that is, and the rest of my longer clubs are normal length. The wedges are how I started my SL thing. About 2 1/2 years ago I made all my wedges from PW down the same length and really liked it.

I finally dove in after trying a friend's Cobra King Forged 7-iron last fall. In November I only bought the 9-6 to start, but after a couple of rounds ordered the 5 Utility (being adjustable, it helps with gapping ) and finally the PW. I really thought it would be a hard transition, having played VL for over 40 years. I knew the idea made way too much sense intellectually, but I had my doubts mechanically. I was really surprised at how quick I caught on and how simple it has made practicing and playing irons on the course. I am looking forward to seeing how much better Cobra makes their next set of players SL irons!

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
Cobra King Speedzone 18.5@17° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 21°@22° /  TT Elevate 95 S

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T22 60° / DG Tour Issue S400
L.A.B. B.2 Brass/ BGT Stability Tour Black
Maxfli Tour X

Kinda perfect timing for me with this thread. Had a set of Cobra F7 sl for a very short time late 2017[End of the year sale] $400. Winter only allowed me to hit them off matts at a heated range. Loved the 8-sw. My 4-7 performance off the matts was not the best. I ended up returning them, always said if I could find a 8-sw for cheap I would get some. Well found a 9.5/10 set of 8-sw with C-Taper lite R for $150. Took them out last night and was very pleased with my results. Recent back issues and the memory of sweet centre contact with the original set of Cobra SL, had me wanting another set real bad. I am going to be using VL irons in the 5,6,7 and will experiment with the wedges. Loving the 8,9 PW at the moment. Hope that continues.

> @pinestreetgolf said:

> > @Snowman9000 said:

> > VL irons can be made to be SL, I have done it from 5 - GW. You'll have to drill out weight from the shorter iron heads, and add weight to the longer iron heads. I used lead tape for that. I am not that familiar with the J40's, but maybe you could just check out the Cobra Forged Ones.

>

> Its the typical WRX situation. On the one hand, I like the Pinhawks. They've played two in-competition rounds and one was very strong and one was very not strong. The shafts are $4.89, the grips are knock-off NDMCs that cost $0.89. To complete my set (lob wedge en route) was about $20. The clubs have a lot of offset, they are not particularly hot and the shafts launch low and heavy. But its the devil I know.

>

> Contrast to that is getting something super nice (OneLength probably, maybe Sterling or Edel) with my shafts x100 SL and NDMC grips. But that is going to set me back $600-800 used, $1100 - 1300 new. Just not sure the performance upgrade is there.

>

> I feel a little silly with this train of thought:

> 1. I know what I'm doing with golf clubs. SL is dumb.

> 2. Actually, SL is pretty good for scoring and not blowing up on holes. I'll switch to a cheap set and start doing well.

> 3. I know what i'm doing with golf clubs. This particular SL set is dumb.

>

> That doesn't *seems* like a good chain of reasoning, but I can't help the "if these cheap SLs are so good imagine how good the super expensive ones will be" reasoning.

DeChambeau did a playing lessons not too long ago with Sean Foley and it covered a good bit of the SL nuisances.

*opps quoted wrong one

I'm still hopping on and off the SL bus. Kinda like Stone walled said, I struggle with the 4,5,6 irons. I love everything about the 7-sw though (and yes, I have 2 ol hybrids and can't hit then well either). When I take the SL out of the bag, I'm using my 99 Hogan blades and honestly, my scores haven't changed much, but, I've shot my career lowest scores with the SL. Currently play Cobra ftb, but at some point I'll have to break down and purchase or trade for some edels. I love the no offset and heavier shafts. They're more like my Hogan's.

> @plt said:

> > @Snowman9000 said:

> > VL irons can be made to be SL, I have done it from 5 - GW. You'll have to drill out weight from the shorter iron heads, and add weight to the longer iron heads. I used lead tape for that. I am not that familiar with the J40's, but maybe you could just check out the Cobra Forged Ones.

>

> Only problem is the J40s are sexier than the Cobras :D

>

I don't know about that. My Forged Black OL are very sexy...

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Ordered OL F9 earlier this week after playing out of my bosses bag Monday (F7 OL). Went 5-GW 1 degree weak. I think people are missing the boat with the OL, the 8-GW are much easier to hit in the OL. To me that is where the benefit is, not the 4-6 irons.

Ping G425 
Ping G410
XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
Titleist T300 w/MMT 125s
SeeMore Putter
Vokey Wedges

Was really considering the OL irons but after reading these posts, Cobra Tec Blacks here I come.

What had me question the OL option, was when I made my driver shorter to 44.75 & 45 from 45.75.

I was longer and much more accurate with shorter drivers. So I assumed this would translate to my longer irons.

Now its what graphite shaft to get! Thank you all for your feedback.

> @Aucaveman said:

> I'm still hopping on and off the SL bus. Kinda like Stone walled said, I struggle with the 4,5,6 irons. I love everything about the 7-sw though (and yes, I have 2 ol hybrids and can't hit then well either). When I take the SL out of the bag, I'm using my 99 Hogan blades and honestly, my scores haven't changed much, but, I've shot my career lowest scores with the SL. Currently play Cobra ftb, but at some point I'll have to break down and purchase or trade for some edels. I love the no offset and heavier shafts. They're more like my Hogan's.

I'm in the same boat. I struggle more with SL long irons, and I expected those to be easier. No problems at all with the shorter irons. I do find that I pull A LOT more iron shots than before. But the SL pulls go the right distance still while standard iron pulls go over greens left. But with around 10 rounds in the books with SL, I really haven't nailed an iron shot close - but I have been hitting greens.

Thanks to another poster here, I just ebayed a set of Maltby TS-1 with shafts which should be perfect for me, so the battle is on yet again.

Started with the F7 SL 3 years ago when I first got into golf. It honestly made learning the game easier for me. Setup and ball position never changed except when I was hitting from the trees (thank you slice issues)

Just put the F9’s in the bag last weekend. They are quit a bit bulkier looking than the F7, but I so far from practice and 2 rounds of golf I feel they give better feedback in the hands on miss hits and that the low irons get airborne better. Now the airborne thing could just be due to me improving since I began taking lessons

> @Lodestone said:

> > @pinestreetgolf said:

> > > @Lodestone said:

> > > Thanks for the post. I am in the earliest stages of my single length journey. I am enjoying it. Hitting some good shots. Hitting some dreadful shots, but they have nothing to do with the single length feature. Right now it's all about trusting the distances, which is going to take some time. This time of year in the northeast we have lots of wind, and wet courses.

> > > Today I tagged my 4h which would normally be a 175 yard shot. I tried to hit it 150 into a stiff wind. It went 130, and I nailed it. So trying to figure the distance on these new clubs right now is hopeless. I'm just trying to make the same swing with all of them.. It's really weird.

> >

> > You shouldn't try to make the same swing with all of them. That's the trick. Like, if you signed your name twice fast they would both look similar but if you signed once and then tried to painstakingly copy that signature exactly it would be hard. You still have to play golf with SL. Twilight round, missed right on 5 at same course city park south, deep rough but clear shot from 145. Hit a punch 6. You still have to play golf.

> >

> > Its same setup and stance, not same swing, IMO. Again, IMO. Its still golf and you still need to fit the swing to the shot. You don't swing your 8 iron the same way with a VL set, so you don't swing all SL clubs the same.

>

> OK, I see your point. But if you were facing a shot that was your 5 iron dead on number, the number that you feel is "the number" for your 5 iron, and later facing a shot that was your G wedge dead on number, would try to make the same swing for both, or would you swing longer with the 5 to try to generate more clubhead speed to get the ball "up"?

I'd try to make the same swing for both as a result but I wouldn't be literally trying to duplicate swings, if that makes sense. I think "swing it like a Gap wedge" is a good way to duff a 5 iron because our brains don't work that way (or at least mine doesn't yet).

I'd just try to make the best swing I could for the target with both clubs, just like VL.

• Like 1

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

i'm coming from a different perspective. I am willfully reminding myself that it's the same club I just hit successfully. The fact that it's a 5i instead of a W, should not influence my practice swing, or my feel. Instinctively, or through repetition, with VL clubs I swing a longer iron differently. To me, the beauty of the SL is that you don't have to do that, in fact, I think you should not swing them differently.

Anyway, that's been my approach so far.

• Like 1

FORE RIGHT!!!!

After all this time, all those posts, you finally come around... :-)

Welcome to the cult...ahhh.. I mean club!

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Put the Wishon Sterlings in my bag 2.5 years ago. 4-GW. (I have sufficient club speed to get results from the 4I.) I worried the PW and GW would be difficult at such a long length. At first, that seemed to be borne out with the GW. But I realized that the GW had less bounce than in my previous set. I was playing it too far up--playing them all too far up, in fact. Once I moved them back in my stance a bit--pow! I've never looked back.

I was really skeptical about the SW and LW, so I took a pass on them. But when the redesigned them--rounded instead of square, I took the plunge. I really struggled with them, especially the LW. Not because of the length, strictly, but because you couldn't both choke down and open the blade--it brings the toe in because the club is so flat. So I put them away and went back to the Mack Daddy PM grinds. But last fall I put them back in the bag again. Wow! They're really great around the green if you learn to play them at full length (which means a regular 8I swing plane like all the other clubs--flatter than a traditional lob shot.) Now I'm just as effective with them as with traditional sand/lob wedges, and I love them a LOT from the fairway, especially inside 100 yds.

So now I have them 4I - LW and I feel great about them. I still need to watch ball position--it creeps forward when I'm not paying attention. But that doesn't have anything to do with single-length. It's just one of my two go-to faults. (Quick backswing is the other.)

I'm 59 years old and still play to a 5. I can see myself playing these for the rest of my life...unless Ping gets into the game. But if it stays a Wishon/Cobra/Edel game (no, the bargain bin SL irons won't do), then there's no compelling reason to switch. Variable length irons? Right. Let me get my wound balata ball and persimmon driver and I'll be right with you.

EnJoyed going four, five and six in SL for a while! Definitely fun, and prompted me to get single length for my granddad, which turned out great for his low swing speed. Really help him generate more throughout the iron set .

However, with my swingspeed I found the roll-out to not suit me. Switching back to VL because I don't have issues with swing/strike, and the flight is easier for me to mess with.

I definitely recommend them to anyone with an average swing speed or below, someone that wants the same swing throughout the set, or someone struggling with contact/strike location

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

Interesting post @pinestreetgolf

Cool to hear. We went back and forth in friendly debate for a couple hundred posts this is encouraging to see.

I've always just said I wanted people to be open minded and try it for two months. I'll never go back to VL irons. I actually convinced a member at my club to get a set. There are now two at my club haha!

Playing Cobra F8 One 5H and 6-PW plus normal wedges and woods. No magic, but more simple and it works!

Driver: Callaway Paradym X w/ HZRDUS Silver 50 5.5
5W: Callaway Mavrik Max w/ Riptide 60 5.5
5i: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3 

6i-GW: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3
52*: Mizuno S23 S-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
58*: Mizuno S23 D-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
Putter: Yes! Hannah

I switched 2+ years ago with a modified set: 4 through 8 irons are single length ( 37.5 inch), BUT the 9 through wedges are variable length. This solves the short game issue without carrying an extra club; besides seldom does a player experience difficulty hitting short clubs

Recetly, I was troubled hitting driver, 3 wood, and hybrids - solution was to shorten the clubs: driver 42 - 43 inches, 3 wood 40, 18 degree hybrid 39 inches. Great results, no loss of distance because hitting the sweet spot is much more important than higher club speed . Try choking up first to determine length, then cut later. The shorter club lengths allow setup quite similar to the single length - setup just feels correct and I groove the same swing as single length

Regards Bruce

As a cheap a** bastxxx, I made a SL Frankenset with my Wishon 870ti's and some PING G2 wedges. As the heads are all max-COR, I can get away with playing the irons heavy and short and not lose distance: 290g head weight at 35.75". All 62* lie, playing at 4.5* loft gaps. PX 6.0 with some Diamond Tour Golf Super Oversize 100g grips. Like PineStreet, I carry two lob wedges - one for the fairway, and one for around the greens.

They work for me. Misses are smaller. I feel like I can comfortably go for a green from 220 and not worry about the huge miss. "Short" irons can more easily be put 'on the clock' as they all feel exactly the same.

Got any pics? Did you add weight or were the heads already at the weight you stated? Thanks in advance. > @Noke said:

> As a cheap **** ****, I made a SL Frankenset with my Wishon 870ti's and some PING G2 wedges. As the heads are all max-COR, I can get away with playing the irons heavy and short and not lose distance: 290g head weight at 35.75". All 62* lie, playing at 4.5* loft gaps. PX 6.0 with some Diamond Tour Golf Super Oversize 100g grips. Like PineStreet, I carry two lob wedges - one for the fairway, and one for around the greens.

>

> They work for me. Misses are smaller. I feel like I can comfortably go for a green from 220 and not worry about the huge miss. "Short" irons can more easily be put 'on the clock' as they all feel exactly the same.

>

>

> @boggyman said:

> Got any pics? Did you add weight or were the heads already at the weight you stated? Thanks in advance. > @Noke said:

> > As a cheap **** ****, I made a SL Frankenset with my Wishon 870ti's and some PING G2 wedges. As the heads are all max-COR, I can get away with playing the irons heavy and short and not lose distance: 290g head weight at 35.75". All 62* lie, playing at 4.5* loft gaps. PX 6.0 with some Diamond Tour Golf Super Oversize 100g grips. Like PineStreet, I carry two lob wedges - one for the fairway, and one for around the greens.

> >

> > They work for me. Misses are smaller. I feel like I can comfortably go for a green from 220 and not worry about the huge miss. "Short" irons can more easily be put 'on the clock' as they all feel exactly the same.

> >

> >

>

>

Hey, Boggy. Sorry, no pics, though I'm not sure you'd want to see them as my work on them is functional but not clean.

Wishon heads are normally made a little light, with the option of tip/bore weights. Mine had 5g weights in the hosel bore. I added weight to the lower-lofted irons by epoxying some auto wheel balancing weights and lead tape. The PING G2 heads are pretty light when the black oval weight is removed. Props to Snowman9000 for the idea to use those heads.

I've really enjoyed the huge grips. Really help with swing weight.

• Like 1

> @Noke said:

> > @boggyman said:

> > Got any pics? Did you add weight or were the heads already at the weight you stated? Thanks in advance. > @Noke said:

> > > As a cheap **** ****, I made a SL Frankenset with my Wishon 870ti's and some PING G2 wedges. As the heads are all max-COR, I can get away with playing the irons heavy and short and not lose distance: 290g head weight at 35.75". All 62* lie, playing at 4.5* loft gaps. PX 6.0 with some Diamond Tour Golf Super Oversize 100g grips. Like PineStreet, I carry two lob wedges - one for the fairway, and one for around the greens.

> > >

> > > They work for me. Misses are smaller. I feel like I can comfortably go for a green from 220 and not worry about the huge miss. "Short" irons can more easily be put 'on the clock' as they all feel exactly the same.

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> Hey, Boggy. Sorry, no pics, though I'm not sure you'd want to see them as my work on them is functional but not clean.

>

> Wishon heads are normally made a little light, with the option of tip/bore weights. Mine had 5g weights in the hosel bore. I added weight to the lower-lofted irons by epoxying some auto wheel balancing weights and lead tape. The PING G2 heads are pretty light when the black oval weight is removed. Props to Snowman9000 for the idea to use those heads.

>

> I've really enjoyed the huge grips. Really help with swing weight.

That’s an interesting idea using the G2 wedges. I am fiddling around with some similar ideas myself. How did you get the weight out w/o damaging the head?

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

> @Kirasdad said:

> > @Noke said:

> > > @boggyman said:

> > > Got any pics? Did you add weight or were the heads already at the weight you stated? Thanks in advance. > @Noke said:

> > > > As a cheap **** ****, I made a SL Frankenset with my Wishon 870ti's and some PING G2 wedges. As the heads are all max-COR, I can get away with playing the irons heavy and short and not lose distance: 290g head weight at 35.75". All 62* lie, playing at 4.5* loft gaps. PX 6.0 with some Diamond Tour Golf Super Oversize 100g grips. Like PineStreet, I carry two lob wedges - one for the fairway, and one for around the greens.

> > > >

> > > > They work for me. Misses are smaller. I feel like I can comfortably go for a green from 220 and not worry about the huge miss. "Short" irons can more easily be put 'on the clock' as they all feel exactly the same.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Hey, Boggy. Sorry, no pics, though I'm not sure you'd want to see them as my work on them is functional but not clean.

> >

> > Wishon heads are normally made a little light, with the option of tip/bore weights. Mine had 5g weights in the hosel bore. I added weight to the lower-lofted irons by epoxying some auto wheel balancing weights and lead tape. The PING G2 heads are pretty light when the black oval weight is removed. Props to Snowman9000 for the idea to use those heads.

> >

> > I've really enjoyed the huge grips. Really help with swing weight.

>

> That’s an interesting idea using the G2 wedges. I am fiddling around with some similar ideas myself. How did you get the weight out w/o damaging the head?

A little heat on the face does the trick. Loosens the adhesive enough to pry the weight out with something small.

I also have a set of 9-LW Integra iWin heads that I like quite a bit. They are G30 clones, 431 stainless, very nice PING-ish versatile sole grind. The sandblasting on the face wears a bit quickly, but other than that they are a solid SL inexpensive option in my opinion.