I love my old Ping G5 and want to put a PX Evenflow white 65gm shaft on it, is it feasible?

Metrocruiser

Hey all,

My local golf course had a demo day last week and I tried Ping 410, ST190, GT190 and the TS3.

The TS3 was my favorite due to the fact that the guy was helping me a lot by configuring things and changing shafts for me to try. We got it down to the TS3 8.5 degree with an Evenflow white 65gm. I had told him that I get great smash factor on my Ping G5 9 degree but it launches way to high and I lose a lot of distance. He dialed me in and wow, I felt so much confidence with this setup. My drives were nice and arcing the way I see them on youtube GC monitors lol. I was slamming into the mound at 250 and saw the ball bounce to roll forward whereas with my G5 with stock shaft they would come down at a steep angle and get no roll. I am stuck in a hard place knowing that I can get 20 yards more distance but I have a wifey i$$ue when it comes to golf equipment. Quota spent already on used irons. No way she will let me buy a new driver.

I am not knowledgable about club crafting so my question is, can I buy this shaft and fit it to my old G5 driver head?

Thanks for any feedback you can give me!!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certainly no expert, but it seems as though it should not be a problem to install the stated shaft in the stated head. As long as you find a good club builder, you should be good to go.

Additionally, if money is an issue, you can probably find some older, cheaper shafts with similar profiles to the Evenflow.

Finally, and here's the real kicker, there isn't any guarantee that the Evenflow will perform the same in the G5 as it did in the TS3. There is reason to believe that it might, but until you get it built and swing it on the monitor, it's all just speculation.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

Still slamming the G5 myself.Possibly look for a Rapture V1 with Diamana Blue in it !!!!!!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

I'm a recent convert to the EvenFlow White 7, and couldn't be happier, this shaft just flat out delivers FOR ME. I also just switched to last year's Mizuno GT-180, so can't say for sure if it's the shaft or head, but one of them, or the combination is making a difference for me - more fairways and shorter approaches. If it fits well in a demo of a "modern" head, it's worth a shot buying one cheap on eBay and trying the experiment? NO way to tell if it will perform the same in your G5 until you try it.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Hi guys, thanks for all your great replies!

After jholz replied I searched it up and found the .335 shim to .350. I feel confident to do the epoxy myself. And of course, not have the expectations that it will feel and perform like a brand new TS3 8.5 degree club.

As Roger said, he is still slamming it just as I am too :)

I have some faith that a stiffer tip will give me better results than the stock shaft.

Last summer I walked into a sports store that does not specialize in golf and told the guy that im hitting this G5 285 yards, can I try a few of your drivers. I did bring my driver to compare. He let me try an M4 , F8, and G400 with stock stiff shafts and I could not beat the shots made with the G5.

Ebay here I come!

> @Metrocruiser said:

> Hi guys, thanks for all your great replies!

> After jholz replied I searched it up and found the .335 shim to .350. I feel confident to do the epoxy myself. And of course, not have the expectations that it will feel and perform like a brand new TS3 8.5 degree club.

The actual epoxy job is not difficult to do yourself. The main issue with taking this on yourself is the removal of the old shaft and properly cleaning out the hosel - particularly if you want to save the old shaft as a back up in case anything happens to the new one of if it doesn't work out. The next issues is making sure you prep the new shaft tip properly, cut it to the right length, don't damage the shaft when you butt cut it, make sure the swing weight is managed correctly, and get the right ferrule and install it correctly, ... Again, nothing that is really all that difficult but these tasks do require some basic knowledge and skills and in some cases specialized tools (or self fabricated tools).

I certainly don't want to try and steer you away from doing your own work if you really want to dive into the realm of club building - but I just want to warn you it is a bit more involved than most people might think at first - and it's rarely a less expensive approach unless you plan to do it a lot more in the future. Then of course, it also can be addictive and lead to even more spending :-) So for a one time job - it's usually better (and less expensive in the long run) to find a local builder to swap the shaft for you. Maybe a $15-25 job.

I seem to recall the G5 needing a longer shaft than most other OEMs to get to any given playing length. No issues with a new shaft but if you are planning on using a pull, make sure you properly check what playing length you are going to get as it could easily come up short and with a light swingweight.

> @Pleasedwith3putts said:

> I seem to recall the G5 needing a longer shaft than most other OEMs to get to any given playing length. No issues with a new shaft but if you are planning on using a pull, make sure you properly check what playing length you are going to get as it could easily come up short and with a light swingweight.

This is true. My TS2 weighs 204g (w/ adapter). My G10 weighs 196g. This was the era of Ping going lighter and longer before they moved to higher balance point shafts with heavier heads.

> @RogerinNewZealand said:

> Still slamming the G5 myself.Possibly look for a Rapture V1 with Diamana Blue in it !!!!!!

I had a G2 for YEARS and had a Rapture V1 for a couple as well-- it was so ahead of its time. So great! Also played an Anser for over 5 seasons. Why can't Ping make drivers like these again....

> @FlyingLaw1 said:

> > @RogerinNewZealand said:

> > Still slamming the G5 myself.Possibly look for a Rapture V1 with Diamana Blue in it !!!!!!

>

> I had a G2 for YEARS and had a Rapture V1 for a couple as well-- it was so ahead of its time. So great! Also played an Anser for over 5 seasons. Why can't Ping make drivers like these again....

Some might argue that they have! The G400 lst is about as good as it gets! Also really like the 410. I game an anser 20 hybrid that i cant get out of my bag. The older gen Ping drivers were def ahead of their time.

Thanks for the tips Stuart,

You are absolutely right! I did a few mods last year with my old set of clubs that are 20+ years old and I melted them to mush with my heat gun. I had bought a TEE 3w and when I took it to the range the head flew off. It seems that the guy had put a hybrid shaft in the 3w and if I am not mistaken the tip is tapered where the driver shaft tip is parallel. I bought an old Aldila NV for $15 and stuck it in. It works great now. Ive got a workbench with a vice and files saws etc and such. I install kitchen cabinets. I love to tinker. Just need to learn the workflows of how to do it right.

> The actual epoxy job is not difficult to do yourself. The main issue with taking this on yourself is the removal of the old shaft and properly cleaning out the hosel - particularly if you want to save the old shaft as a back up in case anything happens to the new one of if it doesn't work out. The next issues is making sure you prep the new shaft tip properly, cut it to the right length, don't damage the shaft when you butt cut it, make sure the swing weight is managed correctly, and get the right ferrule and install it correctly, ... Again, nothing that is really all that difficult but these tasks do require some basic knowledge and skills and in some cases specialized tools (or self fabricated tools).

>

> I certainly don't want to try and steer you away from doing your own work if you really want to dive into the realm of club building - but I just want to warn you it is a bit more involved than most people might think at first - and it's rarely a less expensive approach unless you plan to do it a lot more in the future. Then of course, it also can be addictive and lead to even more spending :-) So for a one time job - it's usually better (and less expensive in the long run) to find a local builder to swap the shaft for you. Maybe a $15-25 job.

I think the old Ping drivers used a .350 tip. Most shafts nowadays are .335 tip. You can just use a brass shim on the tip of the Evenflow. You can pick some up cheap on the Bay or your local golf shop.

Qi10 LS 9* Ventus Black 6-S

Stealth2 Tour Issue 16.5* Hzrdus Yellow SB 6.0/70g

Stealth 18* Hzrdus Yellow SB 6.0/70g

TM Stealth2 Tour Issue Hybrid 22* Kuro 80x

Srixon MKii ZX5 5-GW Onyx DG AMT White S300

Cleveland RTX6 Black 54/58 Onyx DG X100

TM Spider GT Black on Black 33.5"

> @indianalawnguy said:

> > @FlyingLaw1 said:

> > > @RogerinNewZealand said:

> > > Still slamming the G5 myself.Possibly look for a Rapture V1 with Diamana Blue in it !!!!!!

> >

> > I had a G2 for YEARS and had a Rapture V1 for a couple as well-- it was so ahead of its time. So great! Also played an Anser for over 5 seasons. Why can't Ping make drivers like these again....

>

> Some might argue that they have! The G400 lst is about as good as it gets! Also really like the 410. I game an anser 20 hybrid that i cant get out of my bag. The older gen Ping drivers were def ahead of their time.

The 400 is pretty good but I just can't get past the crown... I tried the 410 last week and it just wasn't for me. No matter the shaft it spun WAY too much in my hands. Maybe the lower spin head coming out in a few weeks will be better!