2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Sand Valley

Phreddy

How is the weather up in Wisconsin now? Any rough estimate on when SV will open? I know their site says mid to late April but is that realistic?

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

How is the weather up in Wisconsin now? Any rough estimate on when SV will open? I know their site says mid to late April but is that realistic?

I don't believe winter has broken there quite yet. I was at the IL/WI border last weekend and was surprised to see full snow ground cover that I didn't have back home; I'd have to believe further north by Sand Valley would only be worse. Looking at local webcams I see lots of snow still so I'd have to imagine the courses are still covered and it will take an abrupt turnaround for the courses to be ready soon. I wouldn't rule out mid to late April if the weather turns, but it really hasn't shown any signs of doing that yet.

There's still a lot of snow on the ground...

I would agree with the poster above and say that they will be open come May

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Rome got absolutely killed with snow this winter, went to my lakehouse once around mid January and it was close to the most amount of snow I have ever seen in 20 years of having a home up there and then they got even more since. I am sure sand valley took extreme precautions this year as they had some issues with winter kill after last winter, which was a very light winter. My guess is going be late April. I might go up there this weekend, and if I do I will stop in and see if anyone is around SV to get an update.

Rome got absolutely killed with snow this winter, went to my lakehouse once around mid January and it was close to the most amount of snow I have ever seen in 20 years of having a home up there and then they got even more since. I am sure sand valley took extreme precautions this year as they had some issues with winter kill after last winter, which was a very light winter. My guess is going be late April. I might go up there this weekend, and if I do I will stop in and see if anyone is around SV to get an update.

My very limited knowledge/feedback I've acquired on this subject is that it's not the snow cover that gives you the winter kill but the way it melts and freezes repeatedly. I'd also think Sand Valley could be ready sooner than other courses in the area because of it's sand base. Again, not an agronomist... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

My wife and I did a Kohler/Erin Hills trip two summers ago, it was fantastic. She loved playing EH.

She asked me today if we should do a SV trip in October. :cheesy:

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

NE Wisco has been brutal this winter, we've had rain, sleet, snow and repeat this winter. 2nd snowiest February ever. Flooding everywhere around me to the north in Green Bay and to the west in Fond du Lac. Schools closed in both areas because of flooding. It's really bad. Just got an emergency declaration email for flooding in my county including the river that runs through two holes on my course. Homes being evacuated and water rescues. Some rivers are iced over and the ones that aren't ice chunks are preventing flow and causing damage to dams, etc. Next two weeks look to be ok weather wise. We need a reprieve from the rain and excessive melting.

As far as SV ?? but east of it (I live 130 mi east) just got smoked this year. My bro lives around Janesville (roughly same distance south), and they aren't as bad but the river is at flood level now.

NE Wisco has been brutal this winter, we've had rain, sleet, snow and repeat this winter. 2nd snowiest February ever. Flooding everywhere around me to the north in Green Bay and to the west in Fond du Lac. Schools closed in both areas because of flooding. It's really bad. Just got an emergency declaration email for flooding in my county including the river that runs through two holes on my course. Homes being evacuated and water rescues. Some rivers are iced over and the ones that aren't ice chunks are preventing flow and causing damage to dams, etc. Next two weeks look to be ok weather wise. We need a reprieve from the rain and excessive melting.

As far as SV ?? but east of it (I live 130 mi east) just got smoked this year. My bro lives around Janesville (roughly same distance south), and they aren't as bad but the river is at flood level now.

Watched news last night. Saw a 40 year-old man in waders standing in four feet of water in his parents basement in Fond du Lac.

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning on a trip in April so I will report back with an update. Called yesterday and they said they are on track to be open April 19. They also said the course came out in great shape after the winter.

Looking forward to it!

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

> @BG5 said:

> I am planning on a trip in April so I will report back with an update. Called yesterday and they said they are on track to be open April 19. They also said the course came out in great shape after the winter.

>

> Looking forward to it!

Please do, I have a trip scheduled for May 10th weekend, really pumped to hear the course is in great shape coming out of winter. Makes me feel like I'm stealing playing at those early season rates!

Can anyone tell me about how far Wisconsin Rapids is from Sand Valley? Is it a descent place to stay as it appears they have cheap lodging. Any other options that are better if you plan to stay offsite?

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

I forgot to mention I will be coming from Chicago so would it be better to stay at Friendship or Adams? Any other places you suggest if not staying on site?

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

> @BG5 said:

> Can anyone tell me about how far Wisconsin Rapids is from Sand Valley? Is it a descent place to stay as it appears they have cheap lodging. Any other options that are better if you plan to stay offsite?

Rapids is 20 minutes away with a few smaller hotels from minor chains (Sleep Inn being the best known). If you're willing to travel 15 minutes more to Plover off I-39 (south of Stevens Point) you will have some more, better known options.

> @BG5 said:

> Can anyone tell me about how far Wisconsin Rapids is from Sand Valley? Is it a descent place to stay as it appears they have cheap lodging. Any other options that are better if you plan to stay offsite?

Rapids is pretty small, with a bunch of low end chain hotels. Two options for good offsite lodging. 1) Hotel Mead in Wisconsin Rapids is the best. www.hotelmead.com 2) Lodges of the lakes in Lake arrowhead. My lakehouse is on Lake Arrowhead and before we put on a big addition to our home and had large gatherings we would rent out one of the duplexes at lodges of the lakes and it was great. Right on the Pines course at lake arrowhead and less than 5 minutes away from sand valley. Also look to play the pines and lakes courses at lake arrowhead, been playing them for 20 years and they are fantastic options for afternoon rounds for a sand valley trip. http://www.lodgesofthelakes.com/

Also let me know if you have any other questions in the area.

> @BG5 said:

We stayed at Hotel Mead in Wisconsin Rapids last year and it was nice enough. As mentioned, 20 minutes or so from Sand Valley so definitely a good option if looking to save a couple bucks.

> @BG5 said:

> I forgot to mention I will be coming from Chicago so would it be better to stay at Friendship or Adams? Any other places you suggest if not staying on site?

I stayed in Adams at the Inn & Suites for my late booked Oct trip in '17. It's a budget place, but was clean and served its purpose for two nights.

They have a McDs in town for early start coffee/sausage and then it's an easy drive up. Can pop down to Wisconsin Dells or hit one of the roadside spots for dinner.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @Chanceman said:

> Interested in the on-site experience at SV. Being part of the Keiser empire, is it comparable to Bandon Dunes in any way like with restaurants and pub? Shuttle service? Lodging standards? General attention to detail etc.

I have never been to bandon, and I haven't stayed on site, but I have eaten there a bunch of times.

The main restaurant has been phenomenal everytime I've been there. Very small menu, but every item on it will be delicious. There is a very nice bar within the restaurant. Prices are expensive in the main restaurant, but the quality of the food and service justify the price.

If you are looking to have a few drinks and eat something smaller, and spend a lot less money, then stop up at Craig's porch after your round. It's right by the first tee of Sand Valley. The drinks are very cheap and they use quality booze in the mixers. They have a bunch of cheap food options ($1.50 tacos and brisket sandwiches, and my personal favorite the bison chili). There is other stuff too I just cant remember it all. It's a great spot to hang out and talk about your round while enjoying some great food and drinks for an unbeatable price.

The place is well kept in every way so I imagine the lodging is nice as well, I just cant speak to it.

> @Chanceman said:

> Interested in the on-site experience at SV. Being part of the Keiser empire, is it comparable to Bandon Dunes in any way like with restaurants and pub? Shuttle service? Lodging standards? General attention to detail etc.

Yes. You will recognize being on a Keiser property. Sand Valley, in my last two trips, remains a work in progress with construction on going. That being said, it is very well done and has an attentive well trained staff. I don't think at this juncture it has the footprint of Bandon, but shuttles will whisk you about to the practice range, lodgings etal. I have only been to Bandon twice, but found the caddies at Bandon to be very good and they have had time to mature and train as a staff. Sand Valley is in that process and I think has a much higher degree of variability among the caddie staff. Remember, SV is in one of the poorest counties in Wisconsin. All the locals may own a deer rifle, a set of clubs, not so much. SV has brought in some well schooled loopers and look to them to impart wisdom, etiquette and training to young locals who are looking for work.

Phred

• Like 1

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

> @BG5 said:

Wisconsin Rapids is about a 20 min drive from SV straight down Highway 13. Depending on Your Itinerary I always suggest Sentry World in Stevens Point which is about 40 min from Sand Valley.

As far as accommodations You might get lucky with Rapids or Stevens Point for your best price and if you are playing Sentry world on a day before or after its always a good bet for either of those. Ask any questions if you want. I worked and Lived there for the past 2 seasons at sand valley. and am from the area.

> @Chanceman said:

On site experience at sand valley is fantastic and is also only getting better. The Sand Box the new par 3 course on property similar to the preserve with 17 holes that have some of the coolest greens on property. They have a swiming lake if you like that but Fire places and rings at all the cottages and at the main club house and lodges as well. The Mammoth Bar has great food and drinks and the main restaurant has great food as well. But my favorite place is Craig's porch which has 1.50 sliders and tacos and cheep beer and drinks.

Shuttles will get you any place you want to go on property including the hiking and biking trails as well as the new grass tennis courts. Last few years has felt almost more of a construction zone but they should be almost done with the majority of their construction and all main buildings are open.

• 2 weeks later...

> @Drwoods2017 said:

> Headed to SV May 11th. Anyone know how busy the restaurants have been since they just opened on the 25th. Thinking we might need a reservation for after round dinner but not entirely sure. Can't wait to visit though all the picture look amazing.

We will be there the 10th and 11th and have made reservations. We have contemplated going off site one of the nights though.

Has anyone been there since they opened? Wondering how the courses came out of winter

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X