2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Senior looking to conquer long par 4's and par 5's

jjfcpa

Here's the scenario. I'm a senior golf and need all the help I can get on those long par 4's that are over 400 yards and even the long par 5's. The problem I'm having is with my driver I'm only getting about 200 yards. I just have to face facts, the best I can hope for is maybe 210, but that's about all I can get out of my driver. I've got two drivers - Rogue Draw 10.5 and a Tour Edge EXS 10.5. I've been using the TE because I have much better consistency and perhaps a few extra yards.

Yes, I'm probably playing from the wrong tees, but I typically play with some younger golfers and I just as soon not move up to the senior tees. At any rate, my 3w (Epic Flash) will only get my about another 180 yards... maybe stretch it to 190. That leaves me 10-30 yards short on those long par 4's. Just wondering if something like the Tailormade Original One mini driver would be a good idea as a replacement for the Epic Flash 3w. Of course, the Original One is probably really hard to hit out of the rough, but most of the time I manage to keep it in the fairway. Probably 75% of the time.

Anyone tried the Original One as a 3w replacement? Any other solutions I should consider besides moving up to the senior tee?

I'm going through similar situations. Some things to consider...

How is your flexibility and body situation? Have you had any injuries that limit your swing? Is your flexibility decent for someone a bit older? Basically, a fitness routine designed for golf might give you some benefits.

What is you clubhead speed for the clubs? From the equipment standpoint, lower clubhead speed might be affected by too long a shaft (leading to fewer clean hits), or a shaft that is too stiff or heavy. A fitting might help you here.

Finally, for fairway woods try some 4Ws, or the EXS 3W 17* head. You might pick up yardage from a slightly higher launch and shorter shaft.

For your bridge clubs... do you have some hybrids between your FWs and your more reliable numbered irons?

Try some things, and let us know how it goes.

Note: longer par 5 holes (over 550 yards) can be troublesome without three solid hits. If you can't make it home in regulation, just make sure you leave a short approach. Sometimes you just have to play for the up-and-down. Also, younger players often mess up the longer par 5 holes trying to press for too much yardage. A par or bogie from you can often tie or beat the score of a youngster who self-destructs.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

> @jjfcpa said:

> Here's the scenario. I'm a senior golf and need all the help I can get on those long par 4's that are over 400 yards and even the long par 5's. The problem I'm having is with my driver I'm only getting about 200 yards. I just have to face facts, the best I can hope for is maybe 210, but that's about all I can get out of my driver. I've got two drivers - Rogue Draw 10.5 and a Tour Edge EXS 10.5. I've been using the TE because I have much better consistency and perhaps a few extra yards.

>

> Yes, I'm probably playing from the wrong tees, but I typically play with some younger golfers and I just as soon not move up to the senior tees. At any rate, my 3w (Epic Flash) will only get my about another 180 yards... maybe stretch it to 190. That leaves me 10-30 yards short on those long par 4's. Just wondering if something like the Tailormade Original One mini driver would be a good idea as a replacement for the Epic Flash 3w. Of course, the Original One is probably really hard to hit out of the rough, but most of the time I manage to keep it in the fairway. Probably 75% of the time.

>

> Anyone tried the Original One as a 3w replacement? Any other solutions I should consider besides moving up to the senior tee?

I'm about in the same boat. At our swing speed, I think that the size and deeper face of the Original One would make it hard to hit from the fairway. I have the Ping Rapture mini driver, and I have to have a perfect lie to hit it off the fairway.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

How about moving up a tee box or two? I don’t think equipment changes will help you at this point. Maybe some gym work and flexibility work? Help get some more speed back into your game?

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

> @ChipNRun said:

> I'm going through similar situations. Some things to consider...

> How is your flexibility and body situation? Have you had any injuries that limit your swing? Is your flexibility decent for someone a bit older? Basically, a fitness routine designed for golf might give you some benefits.

> What is you clubhead speed for the clubs? From the equipment standpoint, lower clubhead speed might be affected by too long a shaft (leading to fewer clean hits), or a shaft that is too stiff or heavy. A fitting might help you here.

> Finally, for fairway woods try some 4Ws, or the EXS 3W 17* head. You might pick up yardage from a slightly higher launch and shorter shaft.

> For your bridge clubs... do you have some hybrids between your FWs and your more reliable numbered irons?

> Try some things, and let us know how it goes.

> Note: longer par 5 holes (over 550 yards) can be troublesome without three solid hits. If you can't make it home in regulation, just make sure you leave a short approach. Sometimes you just have to play for the up-and-down. Also, younger players often mess up the longer par 5 holes trying to press for too much yardage. A par or bogie from you can often tie or beat the score of a youngster who self-destructs.

All really good suggestions.

1. Yes, I try to make it to the gym 3 or 4 times a week. Went to the gym throughout the winter just to improve fitness.

2. Flexibility is ok, although I do have a left hip looking for a replacement - probably next Winter. Does not really inhibit my swing but does get sore afterwards.

3. I always have my clubs cut down 1/2 inch for irons and 1 inch for metal woods. I'm only 5' 6". Drive is 44 inches.

I'll definitely checkout the 17* EXS 3 wood. Might give me a few extra yards.

I normally carry a 4h but it doesn't help much except on longish par 3's.

Thanks for the suggestions.

> @jjfcpa said:

>

> All really good suggestions. ...

>

> 2. Flexibility is ok, although I do have a left hip looking for a replacement - probably next Winter. Does not really inhibit my swing but does get sore afterwards.

I have an arthritic RIGHT hip... we'd make a good scramble team! I basically have loose hip and tight hip days. Tight hip means I need to take an extra club on approach shots - just don't get through the ball quite as well.

Hip used to get sore mainly after two straight golf days. Now, it just hurts sometimes. Don't know if I need a new hip or not.

For preround warm-up, I need to hit about 20 full shots just to get things in sync for the day.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

No matter how old you are, everyone can use an extra 20 yards off the tee. I'm 66 and found that by far, the best thing I can do is be sure I have a good amount of lag in my swing. It is much more powerful to throw the club at the ball than push it. Like casting a fishing line. I see guys my age with little to no lag and they hit the ball 200 yards at best, while I'm out there at 240. It is the best thing you can do to gain distance.

12* Paradym X

16* SIM2 MAX-D

19* SIM2 MAX-D

24* Paradym super hybrid

- 5~GW T350 for regular use

- 5~GW Apex DCB for occasional use

- 2~P 681 for bliss (part of a complete set of "Tiger Slam" clubs) 

54* Glide 4.0 WS

58* Glide 4.0 EYE2

Scotty GoLo 6

Build wise we are similar 5'6"-7" and not a long hitter (218 average with Driver). Bottom line is I play the correct tees. 5800-6200 yards is the distance I try to play from given the tee choices at the course. That usually doesn't have me hitting a FW into any par 3 and I have at least 1 par 5 that is gettable in 2 if I hit 2 solid shots. The game is just more fun when I have a chance to score if I hit solid shots. If I'm playing too far back I can hit perfect shots all day but never get a look at birdie because I can't get to the green in regulation....I don't think good shots should get penalized because of lack of distance when there are options to overcome this through proper tee selection. Even when I play up and others are back I am not the one slowing down the group so if that is a concern move past it. Make the game fun for you and don't worry about what others do on the course. Use good etiquette, play ready golf, and enjoy the time playing a great game.

• Like 1

As others have mentioned, my guess is that the Original One or any strong 3 wood is going to be quite difficult to hit. Clubs with this little loft just need a lot of clubhead speed to be hit well. In fact, my guess is that a 17 - 19 degree fairway will go just as far as your current 3 wood (may not roll as far if the course is very firm but I'd bet it will carry just as far if not farther).

The pros (PGA and LPGA) seem to play courses somewhere around 25-26x their average drive. Truthfully, the average hacker probably doesn't want to even do this calculation and look at what tees they should walk up to on the first box (the math probably gets even worse when you consider the true average drive and not just the average of reasonably well struck shots).

Everyone is free to chose to play whatever tees they want. My personal experience is if a) there is more than a couple of holes that I need to hit a near perfect drive / fairway wood to get there and b) I never have a short-iron into a par 4 then the course is too long. I can play a course like this every now and then with people I don't play with a lot but it isn't fun week after week (at least for me).

I finally gave in to my age and moved up a set of tee's. I almost always play with guys younger than me. I can tell you the game as never been more fun since doing so.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

OP, you didn't say how senior you are. I'm 65, your distances you report are very similar to mine. I, and my similarly aged friends have moved up to either the "senior" tees, or in the case of the course I recently joined, the "hybrid" tees. We are still playing in wet, cool Spring conditions so there are still no par5s I can hit, and there is one par 4 I can't hit. I probably won't be able to hit it in August.

Good luck trying to solve this issue with equipment. Be sure to report back if you find the magic wand.

One thing that has helped me a little is changing the shaft on my R1 Driver from stiff to regular. I get more height. The low trajectory of the S was fine on Florida's hard fairways, but up here in the northern mush, not good.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

I'm only 55, but don't hit the ball long, I play the "senior" tees. Some of my buddies are actually older than I and they play the "Players" tees back from me. I just want to be playing my second shot about where they are playing their second shot. No issues playing the correct tees that make the game more enjoyable.

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Driver
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
Callaway Rogue 5 wood
Callaway 4/5 Hybrid
Callaway Apex 6-GW
Callaway Mack Daddy 52/56 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Monterey

At 72, I feel your pain..my numbers are identical to yours...the last two years have caused a 20 yard loss with the driver and two club loss with all irons ...my ego did not allow me to move up a te e box... Everyone I play with is younger...You have to move up!! I am fit,flexible and good....but old age is very welcome but has unavoidable consequences.....I know lots that are not around to hit it.. Tee it forward. Fairways and greens. Beats the woods and lost balls.

OTHill

First off I'll say right off the bat you are not playing with enough loft on your Driver. If you are only getting 200 yards out of your driver you are not generating enough club head speed to have a 10.5 be effective. If you have not been fit for a driver do your self a favor. If some how that is your optimum loft then you are playing the hole with the wrong mindset.

I think you will have better success playing the long par 4s as a Par 5. Play your second shot to a distance where you can play a full shot into the green. 30 or 40 yards short can be no mans land. 60-70 yards with a sand wedge??? I don't know your game but i would assume if you can swallow some pride and play the hole strategically you will score a lot better.

> @Popeye64 said:

> First off I'll say right off the bat you are not playing with enough loft on your Driver. If you are only getting 200 yards out of your driver you are not generating enough club head speed to have a 10.5 be effective. If you have not been fit for a driver do your self a favor. If some how that is your optimum loft then you are playing the hole with the wrong mindset.

> I think you will have better success playing the long par 4s as a Par 5. Play your second shot to a distance where you can play a full shot into the green. 30 or 40 yards short can be no mans land. 60-70 yards with a sand wedge??? I don't know your game but i would assume if you can swallow some pride and play the hole strategically you will score a lot better.

That has been my game plan. On the shorter par 4's and 5's I don't have a problem. On the longer par 4's and 5's, I play for the "up and down" and it runs around 25% where I am successful. I've thought about the driver loft and will adjust my driver to a higher loft - probably 11.5% - and see if it gives me a few extra yards. That's excellent advice. The majority of the responses have indicating moving to the senior tees. I have done this in the past and it really does make the round much less stressful, physically and mentally. Might have that a go the next round, which is in 3 days. Keep the advice coming.

Suck it up and swallow your pride. By not moving up to the correct set of tees for your age and abilities your only hurting yourself and your enjoyment of the game. Not to say also that IMHO players playing from the wrong tee boxes is one of the real problems with slow play.

I'm seventy and faced the same decisions as you. I can tell you that p;aying from the correct set of tee boxes makes the game much more enjoyable. Its more fun making the occasional birdie and more pars that scrambling for bogies. Plus the main benifit is playing the holes as they were designed to be played. Hitting short to mid irons to four pars and fives in three. Just move up.

• Like 1

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

TaylorMade 16.5 Stealth HL

Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood

TaylorMade Stealth Irons 5 thru AW
Vokey SM8 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM8 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Odyssey 38" Tank #7 (a work in Progress)

I agree with others, move up a set of tees. I'm a short hitter by WRX standards (~ 225-235 driver). When I get to a new course I always take a look at the course yardage and choose the appropriate tee box. Accordingly I never play the back tees, and it's about 65:35 between the blue and white tees. It's not enjoyable to have 180+ yds for every approach shot, so choose the tees that allow for the course to be played as it was designed.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Play 'old man' golf...

Long par4 =

Short tee shot

approach to a proper spot, leaving a 20-40 yard chip

Excellent chip shot for a chance at par or bogey at worst.

Work on the short game!

Plus - you know the clubs will only get you so much extra, as will fitness. Improve your technique, try new things, take a lesson...

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Check your ego at the door and play the forward tees.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

> @brew4eagle said:

> I agree with others, move up a set of tees. I'm a short hitter by WRX standards (~ 225-235 driver). **When I get to a new course I always take a look at the course yardage and choose the appropriate tee box.** Accordingly I never play the back tees, and it's about 65:35 between the blue and white tees. It's not enjoyable to have 180+ yds for every approach shot, so choose the tees that allow for the course to be played as it was designed.

I agree. When I get ready to play a course I'm not familiar with I don't look at the course yardage but I look at the par 3 yardages. I look at at the par 3s the course has to offer and play the appropriate tee where all the par 3s are under 200 yards. With that extrapolation on the other par 4 and 5 holes, it makes a more enjoyable experience for me on my approach shots.

That's me.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I disagree with the fact that some say you should automatically go up in loft. I hit my driver about the same distance but I play my G400 at 9 degrees even though I don't have a high swing speed.(86-92) I can't get over 180 yards out of a high lofted driver. My spin gets up to almost 5000 rpm's with a 12 degree driver.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

You're welcome to play whichever tees you like, but IMO if you want to stick with the longer tees your better approach is to really dial in your positional game by playing the long par 4's as three-shot holes and dialing in a wedge distance or two to rely upon for that third shot. It sounds as though adding 10+ yards to both your driver and 3w would still have you counting on a lot of maxed out 3w shots into the green to reach 400+ yard par 4s in two, which is probably not going to be a recipe for great scoring.

The majority of the responses have indicating moving to the senior tees. I have done this in the past and it really does make the round much less stressful, physically and mentally.

You have just validated most responses and in truth, have really answered your own question...............It's a game and it should offer some fun and exercise, not drive you / us crazy with unrealistic goals.

I'm curious how it's fun playing from tee's that are too far back for your game? The game is judged against par, why not play tees that give you a chance to hit every green in regulation with a reasonable club and make a par?

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Loft is your friend. I am 62 and use a 13.5 Fusion driver, make sure it comes with the 12 gram weight, and I cut mine to 45 inches, perfect. I also got tired of being whooped by par 5's and bought the F9 5-6 and 7-8 fairway woods. I am getting close to 200 out of the 5-6 and 180 out of the 7-8. The clubs are unreal. Please demo one and see for yourself. I really had to bite the bullet buying these$$, but well worth it. No regrets at all. I know you want to stay at the longer tees, but I finally had enough and moved up. Get the F9's and watch them cry.

• Like 1

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set