Cut down TS3 51” Irons or Flynn Irons?

Kcct82

Hi, my 6 YO has improved more than expected and I feel like I owe him a proper set of clubs. Currently, he’s playing a full set of mixed used/new UL 48 from different generations, and 3 used Flynn wedges (52/56/60). His 7/9 irons don’t even match his 6/8 in terms of design but they’re all UL 48’s... Tournament wise he’s doing well in the locals having 5 consecutive wins. Also, his first practice round in San Diego over spring break placed him somewhere between 10th-17th according to the results from past 6 years of IMG Jr. World. He likes his 6 iron best and has been asking for a 4/5. I know there’s no way he has the power to hit a 4 iron, but 5 might just be ok. He carries his 6 iron 65 yards and ball rolls out to 75-80 at the moment. I’m looking for suggestions on whether I should go with a 48” set of Flynn’s or a cut down set of 51” TS3’s. He’s 48” tall with shoes on and weighs 48lbs. Thanks

He would probably be ok choking down on a set of TS3 51s but you would have to watch the weight, if hes got the strength and swing speed it should be fine. My boy was about 48 tall when we got his and isn't much taller now, took him a little while to get used to them but 3 months in and hes striking them nicely. Takes a bit of trial and error, but it's fun trying to figure it all out.

Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies!

I won’t say my son “needs” to play a 5

Iron or 52/60 wedge, but it’d be nice to have them in the bag, so the UL48 set is out of the question.

I’m split between Flynn’s and TS3’s. While the Flynn’s are good and customizable to 48” heights, I tend to hear that the TS3 irons are slightly better? The down side on the TS3’s would be having to cut them down and potentially messing up the balance? I’m really focusing on the irons because 16 out of 18 holes at IMG Jr World are going to be teed off with irons. Only 2 holes require a 3 wood, and by summer it might even be a hybrid instead.

Thank you cellywratt and MikekiM for your direct experiences. I’m glad to know others have successfully put TS3’s on 48” kids!

> @Kcct82 said:

> Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies!

> I won’t say my son “needs” to play a 5

> Iron or 52/60 wedge, but it’d be nice to have them in the bag, so the UL48 set is out of the question.

> I’m split between Flynn’s and TS3’s. While the Flynn’s are good and customizable to 48” heights, I tend to hear that the TS3 irons are slightly better? The down side on the TS3’s would be having to cut them down and potentially messing up the balance? I’m really focusing on the irons because 16 out of 18 holes at IMG Jr World are going to be teed off with irons. Only 2 holes require a 3 wood, and by summer it might even be a hybrid instead.

>

> Thank you cellywratt and MikekiM for your direct experiences. I’m glad to know others have successfully put TS3’s on 48” kids!

I would steer away from cutting down the irons, for the sake of 1 inch per club it wouldn't be worth the effort. I'm not sure where you are based but you could get a 7 iron from both Flynn and US kids to trial? We haven't tried Flynn irons but have a 52 and 60 in the bag because the shipping from the US to New Zealand from US kids was too much.

I think you'll be fine either way you go, both make excellent clubs!

> @cellywratt said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies!

> > I won’t say my son “needs” to play a 5

> > Iron or 52/60 wedge, but it’d be nice to have them in the bag, so the UL48 set is out of the question.

> > I’m split between Flynn’s and TS3’s. While the Flynn’s are good and customizable to 48” heights, I tend to hear that the TS3 irons are slightly better? The down side on the TS3’s would be having to cut them down and potentially messing up the balance? I’m really focusing on the irons because 16 out of 18 holes at IMG Jr World are going to be teed off with irons. Only 2 holes require a 3 wood, and by summer it might even be a hybrid instead.

> >

> > Thank you cellywratt and MikekiM for your direct experiences. I’m glad to know others have successfully put TS3’s on 48” kids!

>

> I would steer away from cutting down the irons, for the sake of 1 inch per club it wouldn't be worth the effort. I'm not sure where you are based but you could get a 7 iron from both Flynn and US kids to trial? We haven't tried Flynn irons but have a 52 and 60 in the bag because the shipping from the US to New Zealand from US kids was too much.

>

> I think you'll be fine either way you go, both make excellent clubs!

Thanks, I’m located in California. I just ordered the TS3’s. We’ll try them out and go from there. Reasons for going with the TS3’s: They are lighter, I can get them sooner, and already proven to be good. Old model Flynn series 1 irons are heavier and the new line adds another 5g on top of that. As much as I love the new black wedges from Flynn, I really don’t think my kid needs the extra weight. Also, we can’t afford to wait another 3 weeks for the new line from Flynn.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @cellywratt said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies!

> > > I won’t say my son “needs” to play a 5

> > > Iron or 52/60 wedge, but it’d be nice to have them in the bag, so the UL48 set is out of the question.

> > > I’m split between Flynn’s and TS3’s. While the Flynn’s are good and customizable to 48” heights, I tend to hear that the TS3 irons are slightly better? The down side on the TS3’s would be having to cut them down and potentially messing up the balance? I’m really focusing on the irons because 16 out of 18 holes at IMG Jr World are going to be teed off with irons. Only 2 holes require a 3 wood, and by summer it might even be a hybrid instead.

> > >

> > > Thank you cellywratt and MikekiM for your direct experiences. I’m glad to know others have successfully put TS3’s on 48” kids!

> >

> > I would steer away from cutting down the irons, for the sake of 1 inch per club it wouldn't be worth the effort. I'm not sure where you are based but you could get a 7 iron from both Flynn and US kids to trial? We haven't tried Flynn irons but have a 52 and 60 in the bag because the shipping from the US to New Zealand from US kids was too much.

> >

> > I think you'll be fine either way you go, both make excellent clubs!

>

> Thanks, I’m located in California. I just ordered the TS3’s. We’ll try them out and go from there. Reasons for going with the TS3’s: They are lighter, I can get them sooner, and already proven to be good. Old model Flynn series 1 irons are heavier and the new line adds another 5g on top of that. As much as I love the new black wedges from Flynn, I really don’t think my kid needs the extra weight. Also, we can’t afford to wait another 3 weeks for the new line from Flynn.

>

Ts3 are NOT lighter than Flynn series 1. Series 2 and ts3 are close but series 1 is lighter than ts3. Series 2 closer to ts3, where series 1 heavier than UL. 3 weeks? Try 3 days. Mike is fast at shipping very fast. I’ve had clubs built and shipped same day.

> @darter79 said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @cellywratt said:

> > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies!

> > > > I won’t say my son “needs” to play a 5

> > > > Iron or 52/60 wedge, but it’d be nice to have them in the bag, so the UL48 set is out of the question.

> > > > I’m split between Flynn’s and TS3’s. While the Flynn’s are good and customizable to 48” heights, I tend to hear that the TS3 irons are slightly better? The down side on the TS3’s would be having to cut them down and potentially messing up the balance? I’m really focusing on the irons because 16 out of 18 holes at IMG Jr World are going to be teed off with irons. Only 2 holes require a 3 wood, and by summer it might even be a hybrid instead.

> > > >

> > > > Thank you cellywratt and MikekiM for your direct experiences. I’m glad to know others have successfully put TS3’s on 48” kids!

> > >

> > > I would steer away from cutting down the irons, for the sake of 1 inch per club it wouldn't be worth the effort. I'm not sure where you are based but you could get a 7 iron from both Flynn and US kids to trial? We haven't tried Flynn irons but have a 52 and 60 in the bag because the shipping from the US to New Zealand from US kids was too much.

> > >

> > > I think you'll be fine either way you go, both make excellent clubs!

> >

> > Thanks, I’m located in California. I just ordered the TS3’s. We’ll try them out and go from there. Reasons for going with the TS3’s: They are lighter, I can get them sooner, and already proven to be good. Old model Flynn series 1 irons are heavier and the new line adds another 5g on top of that. As much as I love the new black wedges from Flynn, I really don’t think my kid needs the extra weight. Also, we can’t afford to wait another 3 weeks for the new line from Flynn.

> >

>

> Ts3 are NOT lighter than Flynn series 1. Series 2 and ts3 are close but series 1 is lighter than ts3. Series 2 closer to ts3, where series 1 heavier than UL. 3 weeks? Try 3 days. Mike is fast at shipping very fast. I’ve had clubs built and shipped same day.

Oops, I guess we’ll see if the TS3’s are too heavy, I could always save them for later.

I meant the new Alto line will be out in about 3 weeks (I asked yesterday). So I don’t really want to buy the old series when the new one is right around the corner.

> @BloctonGolf11 said:

> Just don't get to caught up in equipment at that age. It will make very little difference at 6 years old. Plenty of time for clubhoeing down the road! :smile:

For sure, I’m gonna have my kid hit/play with both sets and see which one he likes. And then I’ll just stick with the chosen brand until adult clubs time. :smile:

> @darter79 said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @cellywratt said:

> > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies!

> > > > I won’t say my son “needs” to play a 5

> > > > Iron or 52/60 wedge, but it’d be nice to have them in the bag, so the UL48 set is out of the question.

> > > > I’m split between Flynn’s and TS3’s. While the Flynn’s are good and customizable to 48” heights, I tend to hear that the TS3 irons are slightly better? The down side on the TS3’s would be having to cut them down and potentially messing up the balance? I’m really focusing on the irons because 16 out of 18 holes at IMG Jr World are going to be teed off with irons. Only 2 holes require a 3 wood, and by summer it might even be a hybrid instead.

> > > >

> > > > Thank you cellywratt and MikekiM for your direct experiences. I’m glad to know others have successfully put TS3’s on 48” kids!

> > >

> > > I would steer away from cutting down the irons, for the sake of 1 inch per club it wouldn't be worth the effort. I'm not sure where you are based but you could get a 7 iron from both Flynn and US kids to trial? We haven't tried Flynn irons but have a 52 and 60 in the bag because the shipping from the US to New Zealand from US kids was too much.

> > >

> > > I think you'll be fine either way you go, both make excellent clubs!

> >

> > Thanks, I’m located in California. I just ordered the TS3’s. We’ll try them out and go from there. Reasons for going with the TS3’s: They are lighter, I can get them sooner, and already proven to be good. Old model Flynn series 1 irons are heavier and the new line adds another 5g on top of that. As much as I love the new black wedges from Flynn, I really don’t think my kid needs the extra weight. Also, we can’t afford to wait another 3 weeks for the new line from Flynn.

> >

>

> Ts3 are NOT lighter than Flynn series 1. Series 2 and ts3 are close but series 1 is lighter than ts3. Series 2 closer to ts3, where series 1 heavier than UL. 3 weeks? Try 3 days. Mike is fast at shipping very fast. I’ve had clubs built and shipped same day.

Now that I have both sets of irons here, let’s set the record straight for future parents. USKG 51” TS3’s are LIGHTER than Flynn 48” ALTO Series 1’s. I weighted the 5 and 8 irons from both sets. The TS3’s came out lighter and they’d be even lighter if you cut them to 48” length. Also, I tried bending both sets from the same points and their flex are pretty much equal. I believe a cut down set of 51” TS3’s would work ok if that’s the only option available in a foreign country.

828mv81pectx.jpeg

• Like 1

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @darter79 said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > @cellywratt said:

> > > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies!

> > > > > I won’t say my son “needs” to play a 5

> > > > > Iron or 52/60 wedge, but it’d be nice to have them in the bag, so the UL48 set is out of the question.

> > > > > I’m split between Flynn’s and TS3’s. While the Flynn’s are good and customizable to 48” heights, I tend to hear that the TS3 irons are slightly better? The down side on the TS3’s would be having to cut them down and potentially messing up the balance? I’m really focusing on the irons because 16 out of 18 holes at IMG Jr World are going to be teed off with irons. Only 2 holes require a 3 wood, and by summer it might even be a hybrid instead.

> > > > >

> > > > > Thank you cellywratt and MikekiM for your direct experiences. I’m glad to know others have successfully put TS3’s on 48” kids!

> > > >

> > > > I would steer away from cutting down the irons, for the sake of 1 inch per club it wouldn't be worth the effort. I'm not sure where you are based but you could get a 7 iron from both Flynn and US kids to trial? We haven't tried Flynn irons but have a 52 and 60 in the bag because the shipping from the US to New Zealand from US kids was too much.

> > > >

> > > > I think you'll be fine either way you go, both make excellent clubs!

> > >

> > > Thanks, I’m located in California. I just ordered the TS3’s. We’ll try them out and go from there. Reasons for going with the TS3’s: They are lighter, I can get them sooner, and already proven to be good. Old model Flynn series 1 irons are heavier and the new line adds another 5g on top of that. As much as I love the new black wedges from Flynn, I really don’t think my kid needs the extra weight. Also, we can’t afford to wait another 3 weeks for the new line from Flynn.

> > >

> >

> > Ts3 are NOT lighter than Flynn series 1. Series 2 and ts3 are close but series 1 is lighter than ts3. Series 2 closer to ts3, where series 1 heavier than UL. 3 weeks? Try 3 days. Mike is fast at shipping very fast. I’ve had clubs built and shipped same day.

>

> Now that I have both sets of irons here, let’s set the record straight for future parents. USKG 51” TS3’s are LIGHTER than Flynn 48” ALTO Series 1’s. I weighted the 5 and 8 irons from both sets. The TS3’s came out lighter and they’d be even lighter if you cut them to 48” length. Also, I tried bending both sets from the same points and their flex are pretty much equal. I believe a cut down set of 51” TS3’s would work ok if that’s the only option available in a foreign country.

>

> 828mv81pectx.jpeg

>

I've always thought the Flynn irons were heavier than the US Kids clubs and I actually like that about them. I don't really need any clubs for my daughter but I would still be curious to see how the new Flynn Alto irons perform with the new shafts.

> @Kcct82 said:

> > @darter79 said:

> > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > @cellywratt said:

> > > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies!

> > > > > I won’t say my son “needs” to play a 5

> > > > > Iron or 52/60 wedge, but it’d be nice to have them in the bag, so the UL48 set is out of the question.

> > > > > I’m split between Flynn’s and TS3’s. While the Flynn’s are good and customizable to 48” heights, I tend to hear that the TS3 irons are slightly better? The down side on the TS3’s would be having to cut them down and potentially messing up the balance? I’m really focusing on the irons because 16 out of 18 holes at IMG Jr World are going to be teed off with irons. Only 2 holes require a 3 wood, and by summer it might even be a hybrid instead.

> > > > >

> > > > > Thank you cellywratt and MikekiM for your direct experiences. I’m glad to know others have successfully put TS3’s on 48” kids!

> > > >

> > > > I would steer away from cutting down the irons, for the sake of 1 inch per club it wouldn't be worth the effort. I'm not sure where you are based but you could get a 7 iron from both Flynn and US kids to trial? We haven't tried Flynn irons but have a 52 and 60 in the bag because the shipping from the US to New Zealand from US kids was too much.

> > > >

> > > > I think you'll be fine either way you go, both make excellent clubs!

> > >

> > > Thanks, I’m located in California. I just ordered the TS3’s. We’ll try them out and go from there. Reasons for going with the TS3’s: They are lighter, I can get them sooner, and already proven to be good. Old model Flynn series 1 irons are heavier and the new line adds another 5g on top of that. As much as I love the new black wedges from Flynn, I really don’t think my kid needs the extra weight. Also, we can’t afford to wait another 3 weeks for the new line from Flynn.

> > >

> >

> > Ts3 are NOT lighter than Flynn series 1. Series 2 and ts3 are close but series 1 is lighter than ts3. Series 2 closer to ts3, where series 1 heavier than UL. 3 weeks? Try 3 days. Mike is fast at shipping very fast. I’ve had clubs built and shipped same day.

>

> Now that I have both sets of irons here, let’s set the record straight for future parents. USKG 51” TS3’s are LIGHTER than Flynn 48” ALTO Series 1’s. I weighted the 5 and 8 irons from both sets. The TS3’s came out lighter and they’d be even lighter if you cut them to 48” length. Also, I tried bending both sets from the same points and their flex are pretty much equal. I believe a cut down set of 51” TS3’s would work ok if that’s the only option available in a foreign country.

>

> 828mv81pectx.jpeg

>

Both the Alto and the Velocity weights are available online, Alto being 5 grams heavier.

Were the weights far off from the online specs?

2cpkvq36yqqk.jpg

nc43wvqqpa1t.jpg

> @mrshinsa said:

> > @Kcct82 said:

> > > @darter79 said:

> > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > @cellywratt said:

> > > > > > @Kcct82 said:

> > > > > > Hi guys, thanks for the quick replies!

> > > > > > I won’t say my son “needs” to play a 5

> > > > > > Iron or 52/60 wedge, but it’d be nice to have them in the bag, so the UL48 set is out of the question.

> > > > > > I’m split between Flynn’s and TS3’s. While the Flynn’s are good and customizable to 48” heights, I tend to hear that the TS3 irons are slightly better? The down side on the TS3’s would be having to cut them down and potentially messing up the balance? I’m really focusing on the irons because 16 out of 18 holes at IMG Jr World are going to be teed off with irons. Only 2 holes require a 3 wood, and by summer it might even be a hybrid instead.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thank you cellywratt and MikekiM for your direct experiences. I’m glad to know others have successfully put TS3’s on 48” kids!

> > > > >

> > > > > I would steer away from cutting down the irons, for the sake of 1 inch per club it wouldn't be worth the effort. I'm not sure where you are based but you could get a 7 iron from both Flynn and US kids to trial? We haven't tried Flynn irons but have a 52 and 60 in the bag because the shipping from the US to New Zealand from US kids was too much.

> > > > >

> > > > > I think you'll be fine either way you go, both make excellent clubs!

> > > >

> > > > Thanks, I’m located in California. I just ordered the TS3’s. We’ll try them out and go from there. Reasons for going with the TS3’s: They are lighter, I can get them sooner, and already proven to be good. Old model Flynn series 1 irons are heavier and the new line adds another 5g on top of that. As much as I love the new black wedges from Flynn, I really don’t think my kid needs the extra weight. Also, we can’t afford to wait another 3 weeks for the new line from Flynn.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Ts3 are NOT lighter than Flynn series 1. Series 2 and ts3 are close but series 1 is lighter than ts3. Series 2 closer to ts3, where series 1 heavier than UL. 3 weeks? Try 3 days. Mike is fast at shipping very fast. I’ve had clubs built and shipped same day.

> >

> > Now that I have both sets of irons here, let’s set the record straight for future parents. USKG 51” TS3’s are LIGHTER than Flynn 48” ALTO Series 1’s. I weighted the 5 and 8 irons from both sets. The TS3’s came out lighter and they’d be even lighter if you cut them to 48” length. Also, I tried bending both sets from the same points and their flex are pretty much equal. I believe a cut down set of 51” TS3’s would work ok if that’s the only option available in a foreign country.

> >

> > 828mv81pectx.jpeg

> >

>

> Both the Alto and the Velocity weights are available online, Alto being 5 grams heavier.

> Were the weights far off from the online specs?

>

>

> 2cpkvq36yqqk.jpg

> nc43wvqqpa1t.jpg

>

>

>

>

>

Hi, the clubs were built already when they arrived, so there was no way to measure. But according to the stickers you see in the photo, the weights are very close to the spec sheet (within 1%). :smiley:

Early impressions after hitting 1.5 buckets and playing 7 holes. They’re both pretty good, my kid likes the TS3’s better, but he might just be feeling the swing weight difference (TS3’s are longer and lighter). Hit 20 pitch shots each with the two 56 degrees sand wedges, and Flynn’s ALTO SW stops a tiny bit quicker in general. The Flynn 5 iron is a nice addition (not available in the UL48 line). I don’t know how it happened, but my kid hit the 5i 15 total yards farther than his UL48 hybrid. Lastly, it was nice to see even distance gaps between the iron and wedges within both sets. My kid used to have a big gap between his UL48 PW and Flynn Velocity 52 degrees GW. To sum it all up, the UL48 is a great set for beginners and that’s what I’d recommend as a first set. For intermediate to advance 48” kids, they should go with Flynn’s ALTO to take advantage of the extra clubs (5i, GW, and LW). The TS3’s would do well too, but you’d have the extra hassle of modding the clubs to 48” lengths. Once your kid hit 51” tall, then both sets are great.

• 4 months later...

in the battle between uskg and Flynn always personal but I think USKG is a better looking better performing club. The look alone of the Flynn looks like a super game improvement iron vs ts3 looks like a players iron. The wedges you could toss up either way and be fine, but the irons I would always lean USKG over flynn.

> @GoDeacs said:

> Wanted to bump this for any updates on which is the better route

Nothing new to report on the irons and wedges. My kid plays the flynn’s fine and did well in state tournament and Jr world. Both sets are good and just go with the ones you like. I’ll probably just switch to TS3 51” when he gets that tall because I already have them. If you have a good junior at 48” I’d lean towards the flynn’s to save u the hassle of cutting down 51” TS3’s.

My 10yo's been playing the Alto S2 clubs for the last month now and here are some observations. He came from 51" TS3 irons. The Alto's have a thicker sole and thicker top line. They seem to have a slight impact on the way his irons are getting through the turf, as his strikes seem to be a little less consistent. The clubs look and feel great and he loves them. I'm not entirely sold that they're right for him, but we'll see.

> @MikekiM said:

> My 10yo's been playing the Alto S2 clubs for the last month now and here are some observations. He came from 51" TS3 irons. The Alto's have a thicker sole and thicker top line. They seem to have a slight impact on the way his irons are getting through the turf, as his strikes seem to be a little less consistent. The clubs look and feel great and he loves them. I'm not entirely sold that they're right for him, but we'll see.

Next time you are in the market for clubs, I recommend the ProdiG line. My daughter is 10, we went from TS3 to Ping. Noticeable difference in ball flight and consistency, especially with her inconsistent swing. A grade or two more expensive, but with a free regrip/club extension, I think it’s worth it.