Looking to Join a Chicago Club as an Out-of-Town Member

4Eyes

You can PM me, but I had this decision a couple years ago. First I would consider where your daughter lives as Chicago traffic can be pretty bad during rush hours and getting from A to B isn't quick. Also are you willing to take the train? If your daughter is northside and you aren't willing to take the train, then Olympia Fields isn't your best option. If she isn't northside or you are willing to take the train, then Olympia Fields is your best option. Beverly has an attractive program as well, but they are closing Aug. 1st for a renovation until sometime next summer.

Other ideas are Medinah although pretty expensive for what you get as they limit you to 12 rounds a year. If your daughter is west then I'd look at Black Sheep as they have 27 holes and a pretty reasonable program.

Northside places I would have joined if closer to where my extended family are Merit Club and I can't remember Bob O'Link deal off the top of my head.

In short OFCC is a very good spot for out of town membership unless you are northside. PM if you want to discuss any of the above.

• Like 2

OFCC will be closing for an extensive renovation soon also. > @"Schley " said:

> > @FairwayFred said:

> > OFCC will be closing for an extensive renovation soon also.

> Has to be voted on, and if so it will only be the South and not until fall 2020 after the BMW.

>

Fall 2020 is pretty soon for someone just considering joining. Also I could be wrong but I was told both courses getting done by someone who would definitely know. I'm sure they won't close both courses at the same time. They hit a home run w the hiring of Andy Staples imo. Should be a major improvement when he is done.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

> @FairwayFred said:

> OFCC will be closing for an extensive renovation soon also. > @"Schley " said:

> > > @FairwayFred said:

> > > OFCC will be closing for an extensive renovation soon also.

> > Has to be voted on, and if so it will only be the South and not until fall 2020 after the BMW.

> >

>

> Fall 2020 is pretty soon for someone just considering joining. Also I could be wrong but I was told both courses getting done by someone who would definitely know. I'm sure they won't close both courses at the same time. They hit a home run w the hiring of Andy Staples imo. Should be a major improvement when he is done.

Don't disagree as having 36 is great, but such is trying keep your course up to scratch with expectations. Andy Staples will do a phenomenal job I'm sure.

North could have work done after South, not sure how they will package the proposal to vote by membership as to including the North with the South, but South is certainly first.

Beverly should be looking very good next summer after their renovation.

You could also consider Lost Dunes in SW Michigan. Amazing course and facility.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

Like Schley, I’m a national at Olympia Fields. Happy to answer any questions.

It’s a good spot. Having two courses is great because other than the weekend of the big member-guest, you can always know that you’re going to be able to play somewhere.

Seems almost certain that there will be some work done to the South. From there we will see on the North. Can’t imagine a scenario in which both will be closed. Will there be some disruption? Sure, but the place isn’t that jammed, so I don’t anticipate major issues.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST
3W, 5W: TaylorMade Sim Titanium

Irons: PXG XP Gen 5 Steelfiber shafts
Wedges: PXG Sugar Daddy II 50 degrees. Vokey SM9 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5S

> @DavePelz4 said:

> Flossmoor is an awesome club and they're looking for members. Would rank it in the top 10 courses in the Chicago area.

I like Flossmoor for sure and a shame they are struggling. I don't know their offers now, but I'm sure it is very reasonable as last year they were hurting for members. If you put the course on the northside it would thrive.

Curious Dave what is your Chicago area top 10?

> @"Schley " said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > Flossmoor is an awesome club and they're looking for members. Would rank it in the top 10 courses in the Chicago area.

>

> I like Flossmoor for sure and a shame they are struggling. I don't know their offers now, but I'm sure it is very reasonable as last year they were hurting for members. If you put the course on the northside it would thrive.

>

> Curious Dave what is your Chicago area top 10?

We're blessed with so many great courses in our area. Top 10 is a tough list but here goes...in no particular order and within an hour's drive.

1. Chicago Golf Club

2. Medinah #3

3. Bowes

4. Blackstone

5. Highlands of Elgin

6. Cantigny

7. Prairie View

8. Oak Grove - (stretched the hour a bit)

9. Olympia Fields South

10. Mistwood

Tough to leave out so many great courses but the list could probably get to 20 rather easily.

I know you've played a lot here...care to share yours?

CDGA has some offers to play FLossmoor on selected dates for $100 per player

Support Flossmoor, and get to experience a great course at the same time.

Fantastic greens, and a great renovation done by Ray Hearn years back

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

> @DavePelz4 said:

> > @"Schley " said:

> > > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > Flossmoor is an awesome club and they're looking for members. Would rank it in the top 10 courses in the Chicago area.

> >

> > I like Flossmoor for sure and a shame they are struggling. I don't know their offers now, but I'm sure it is very reasonable as last year they were hurting for members. If you put the course on the northside it would thrive.

> >

> > Curious Dave what is your Chicago area top 10?

>

> We're blessed with so many great courses in our area. Top 10 is a tough list but here goes...in no particular order and within an hour's drive.

> 1. Chicago Golf Club

> 2. Medinah #3

> 3. Bowes

> 4. Blackstone

> 5. Highlands of Elgin

> 6. Cantigny

> 7. Prairie View

> 8. Oak Grove - (stretched the hour a bit)

> 9. Olympia Fields South

> 10. Mistwood

>

> Tough to leave out so many great courses but the list could probably get to 20 rather easily.

>

> I know you've played a lot here...care to share yours?

>

Dave impressive list and what a diamond in the the rough with Bowes Creek. I never played but a friend who lives in Wayne likes it. My humble 10 could easily be 20 as you said.

1. Chicago Golf Club - one of my top 5 in the world I have played and sentimental for I'm a Chicago guy.

2. Shoreacres - great Raynor layout that is not long, but very old school with rolling terrain and charming clubhouse.

3. Medinah #3 - Just a brute of a course where you need to be long off the tee AND straight with so many trees. Don't like the repetitive par 3's over water.

4. Butler National - Alot of water, all male of course, was long when I played there before prov1's and probably still today.

5. Olympia Fields North - Just a classic course with an underrated set of greens, they will remove more trees which sill put this into my top 3 perhaps.

6. Mistwood - Been redone a couple times now and this most recent one they can stay with, routed along the lake, but facility is very nice now.

7. Kankakee Elks - Needs some renovation work yes, but a nice Langford & Moreau layout that if you had 5 million bucks it could be a top 10 course in the state for sure and perhaps higher.

8. Conway Farms - A Fazio with some pretentiousness perhaps for the area, but a good links as it isn't plagued with the overly treed look so many have.

9. Beverly CC - They are going to renovate August 1st and really looking forward to this renovation, should be the best it has ever been!

10. Cantigny - Solid public that is 27 holes and good greens, but again needs some trees cut down.

I have to put in Olympia Fields South here as it is probably more fun than the North as it is shorter with some short par 4's and will be the first to be renovated to remove some trees, which is sorely needed.

I grew up a muni golfer in Joliet at Innwood where my dad worked, but Chicago has above average private clubs and they really are a step above most everything else.

> @"Schley " said:

> You can PM me, but I had this decision a couple years ago. First I would consider where your daughter lives as Chicago traffic can be pretty bad during rush hours and getting from A to B isn't quick. Also are you willing to take the train? If your daughter is northside and you aren't willing to take the train, then Olympia Fields isn't your best option. If she isn't northside or you are willing to take the train, then Olympia Fields is your best option. Beverly has an attractive program as well, but they are closing Aug. 1st for a renovation until sometime next summer.

>

> Other ideas are Medinah although pretty expensive for what you get as they limit you to 12 rounds a year. If your daughter is west then I'd look at Black Sheep as they have 27 holes and a pretty reasonable program.

>

> Northside places I would have joined if closer to where my extended family are Merit Club and I can't remember Bob O'Link deal off the top of my head.

> In short OFCC is a very good spot for out of town membership unless you are northside. PM if you want to discuss any of the above.

Medinah - 12 rounds a year or 12 visits? can you bring guests?

> @CMCSGolf said:

> I think the answer has to be Olympia? I know they have a national membership and I don't think it is too expensive. Having two courses should be nice for your out of town schedule and lower the chance of getting blocked out of your course by an event.

I've always wondered but never asked after seeing out-of-town memberships being mentioned as "not too expensive" a few times now in reference to some top-notch courses. Do you know a ballpark of what an out-of-town membership costs at a place like Olympia Fields?

> @monty09 said:

> > @"Schley " said:

> > You can PM me, but I had this decision a couple years ago. First I would consider where your daughter lives as Chicago traffic can be pretty bad during rush hours and getting from A to B isn't quick. Also are you willing to take the train? If your daughter is northside and you aren't willing to take the train, then Olympia Fields isn't your best option. If she isn't northside or you are willing to take the train, then Olympia Fields is your best option. Beverly has an attractive program as well, but they are closing Aug. 1st for a renovation until sometime next summer.

> >

> > Other ideas are Medinah although pretty expensive for what you get as they limit you to 12 rounds a year. If your daughter is west then I'd look at Black Sheep as they have 27 holes and a pretty reasonable program.

> >

> > Northside places I would have joined if closer to where my extended family are Merit Club and I can't remember Bob O'Link deal off the top of my head.

> > In short OFCC is a very good spot for out of town membership unless you are northside. PM if you want to discuss any of the above.

>

> Medinah - 12 rounds a year or 12 visits? can you bring guests?

Yes you can bring guests.

> @"Schley " said:

> > @monty09 said:

> > > @"Schley " said:

> > > You can PM me, but I had this decision a couple years ago. First I would consider where your daughter lives as Chicago traffic can be pretty bad during rush hours and getting from A to B isn't quick. Also are you willing to take the train? If your daughter is northside and you aren't willing to take the train, then Olympia Fields isn't your best option. If she isn't northside or you are willing to take the train, then Olympia Fields is your best option. Beverly has an attractive program as well, but they are closing Aug. 1st for a renovation until sometime next summer.

> > >

> > > Other ideas are Medinah although pretty expensive for what you get as they limit you to 12 rounds a year. If your daughter is west then I'd look at Black Sheep as they have 27 holes and a pretty reasonable program.

> > >

> > > Northside places I would have joined if closer to where my extended family are Merit Club and I can't remember Bob O'Link deal off the top of my head.

> > > In short OFCC is a very good spot for out of town membership unless you are northside. PM if you want to discuss any of the above.

> >

> > Medinah - 12 rounds a year or 12 visits? can you bring guests?

>

> Yes you can bring guests.

>

>

Thank you for the quick reply. Great news!!!!

> @monty09 said:

> > @"Schley " said:

> > You can PM me, but I had this decision a couple years ago. First I would consider where your daughter lives as Chicago traffic can be pretty bad during rush hours and getting from A to B isn't quick. Also are you willing to take the train? If your daughter is northside and you aren't willing to take the train, then Olympia Fields isn't your best option. If she isn't northside or you are willing to take the train, then Olympia Fields is your best option. Beverly has an attractive program as well, but they are closing Aug. 1st for a renovation until sometime next summer.

> >

> > Other ideas are Medinah although pretty expensive for what you get as they limit you to 12 rounds a year. If your daughter is west then I'd look at Black Sheep as they have 27 holes and a pretty reasonable program.

> >

> > Northside places I would have joined if closer to where my extended family are Merit Club and I can't remember Bob O'Link deal off the top of my head.

> > In short OFCC is a very good spot for out of town membership unless you are northside. PM if you want to discuss any of the above.

>

> Medinah - 12 rounds a year or 12 visits? can you bring guests?

It's 12 rounds. Remember they have 3 courses there and popular after the Tom Doak renovation to #1. Gotta spread the wealth there, other than weekend mornings on 1/3 it is pretty wide open IME.

> @"Schley " said:

> > @monty09 said:

> > > @"Schley " said:

> > > You can PM me, but I had this decision a couple years ago. First I would consider where your daughter lives as Chicago traffic can be pretty bad during rush hours and getting from A to B isn't quick. Also are you willing to take the train? If your daughter is northside and you aren't willing to take the train, then Olympia Fields isn't your best option. If she isn't northside or you are willing to take the train, then Olympia Fields is your best option. Beverly has an attractive program as well, but they are closing Aug. 1st for a renovation until sometime next summer.

> > >

> > > Other ideas are Medinah although pretty expensive for what you get as they limit you to 12 rounds a year. If your daughter is west then I'd look at Black Sheep as they have 27 holes and a pretty reasonable program.

> > >

> > > Northside places I would have joined if closer to where my extended family are Merit Club and I can't remember Bob O'Link deal off the top of my head.

> > > In short OFCC is a very good spot for out of town membership unless you are northside. PM if you want to discuss any of the above.

> >

> > Medinah - 12 rounds a year or 12 visits? can you bring guests?

>

> It's 12 rounds. Remember they have 3 courses there and popular after the Tom Doak renovation to #1. Gotta spread the wealth there, other than weekend mornings on 1/3 it is pretty wide open IME.

>

so 3 foursomes?

> @adschus said:

> Can’t beat the value at Black Sheep. No limit on visits. Laidback group of guys with 27 holes. NEVER busy. Easily walk a round in 3.5 hours and less in a cart. Feel free to msg me with any questions.

Black Sheep is solid. When I checked with them a couple years ago they said they limit out of town members to 5 days playing in any 30 day period, which is what drove me away for I come in 1/2 a year at most for a month total.

All male nature of Black Sheep likely isn't ideal for the situation OP outlined. From original post, I suspect he wants to play golf with his daughter...

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51 PX
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57* DG Spinner
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

• 2 weeks later...

> @jshel said:

> Like Schley, I’m a national at Olympia Fields. Happy to answer any questions.

>

> It’s a good spot. Having two courses is great because other than the weekend of the big member-guest, you can always know that you’re going to be able to play somewhere.

>

> Seems almost certain that there will be some work done to the South. From there we will see on the North. Can’t imagine a scenario in which both will be closed. Will there be some disruption? Sure, but the place isn’t that jammed, so I don’t anticipate major issues.

I'm sure both will not be closed at the same time however I expect both courses to be redone albeit one at a time.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

• 1 year later...

Thank you all. I forgot to close out this thread. I apologize. I decided I wasn't planning to visit Chicago frequently enough to justify an out-of town membership. Besides, my game is so bad right now after having some medical issues (in my mid-60s) I may take the advice of my golf pro -- "Give up the game for a while to rid yourself of your bad swing habits -- then give up the game for good."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1