2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Any info on this Wilson is appreceated

Popper

Like it I like all 8802 styles--- Maybe post it over on the Classics forum there are a lot of very knowledgeable Wilson gurus over there

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Interesting the following edge is straight/square. Don't think I've ever seen an 8802 shaped like that. The stamping, and the face stamped 'milled' would indicate this is a newer model? Have been aware of 8802's for 40ish years and never seen a square back before or maybe I've been living under a rock. Looks like a great putter!

I hate to break it to ya, but that’s not the real deal Brother~

Along with Playing this 8802 pictured, “The Wilson 8802,” for 34 of the 36 years that I had it(04/12/76 to 2013), I’ve had/have EVERY 8802 design and blade that Wilson and Staff ever produced and that ain’t one of em.

As @Steele47 brought up, the shape’s waaaay off, along with the “milled” on the face toe was never on an 8802, as “The Wilson 8802” was not a milled putter, lolol. Also, there was never a “The Wilson 8802” with “Wilson” stamped on the face-back toe area. “Wilson” was only stamped on the sole of the putter.

The only way that’s legit, and this is a huuuuge stretch, is if it came out of the Custom Shop, though I doubt that very very very much as I have only ever seen Staff custom clubs, mostly irons though a few putters, and the putter’s customization had to do with lie and loft preferences, not a whole redesign of the 8802 shape, as it’s then not an 8802 at all. Also, I’ve never ever seen a custom 8802 from the shop, and between my teacher, Pete Snead, his Bro Sam, and I also got to see Mr. Palmer’s personal collection in his basement and he and Sam had close to 900 putters between em, and I’ve never seen an 8802 that shape or with “Milled” on the face or “Wilson” on the face-back/flange.

The 8802, being under the Wilson flag, was initially retailed through the big boxes like Sears, KMart, etc(this was pre golf big-boxes) versus the 8813, with the Staff moniker, which was the same putter spec wise and for the most part with the same grip(leather wrap w/a silver stitching that ran the length of the grip in the center of the leather wrap) shaft though cosmetically it had the top-line and flange sight lines, that ran/run perpendicular to each other, and was retailed through the pro shops, at both private clubs and public courses.

I’ve seen a ton of Wilson 8802 knock-offs on the net, and if I had to lay a Benjamin down, I’d say that this falls into that camp.

If I may ask, what does the shaft band say?

“The Wilson 8802” along with the 8813 had one and only one shaft~

The “Head Speed(pictured)” shaft, along with the leather wrap grip and the Staff logo button cap on top of the handle. This is identical on the 8813 also.

The 8802 that I spoke of above and is also pictured here is the one that my Fiancé got Mr. Palmer to sign 5 days before his passing and I’ve included that pic for s**** & giggles, lol. I’ve also included a comparative pic of “The Wilson 8802” and the most recent 8802 release, the dual-face milled circa 2014 example just to give ya an idea of what the milled face looks like compared to a non-milled.

I in no way am trying to be a jerk because all you did was buy a club in good faith and obviously really didn’t know the history and lineage of “The Wilson 8802,” 8813 or the collection as a whole.

You can get a genuine “The Wilson 8802” for $40-75 and if you really want one, that’s the path that I’d take. I guess if that putter feels good and you wanna use it, whatever, but I would most definitely not tell people that that is an 8802, especially if ya come across someone that actually gxmahb4ayu1a.jpeg

pbkbljp1c4bs.jpeg

e21cqpi45fn0.jpeg

58hin7r93f6a.jpeg

qzoq27p2yfd1.jpeg

jnbqpq7febqj.jpeg

rg1ihavdj0sj.jpeg

o4u2fvm68j7i.jpeg

0dw8clbjuwe8.jpeg

knows the collection, lol?

As always, just my .03 worth

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Whether it is fake or not...its still a nice putter for $90. It also doesnt look like any other Wilson i've ever seen, but it looks better than some.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

It's not fake just a later model using the 8802 model name. It came out some time after 1990 IIRC amd three years ago they did it again with a red rubber grip, a milled face, and virtually no offset. Ugly.

The original 8802/8813 putters were forged from a mix of metals including a little brass. The problem was the mix was never the same from run to run leading to some putters feeling softer than others.

• Like 1

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

> @rgk5 said:

> It's not fake just a later model using the 8802 model name. It came out some time after 1990 IIRC amd three years ago they did it again with a red rubber grip, a milled face, and virtually no offset. Ugly.

>

> The original 8802/8813 putters were forged from a mix of metals including a little brass. The problem was the mix was never the same from run to run leading to some putters feeling softer than others.

Hey RG, I hope the season’s going well~

I’ve just never seen another example like that~

Mr. Palmer had by far the most Wilson putters of anyone that I mentioned or ever seen, for that matter, and easily over 100 that were basically Protos that never saw final production when he was working with Wilson and they never went past that stage and that’s what I was thinking possibly for this example though if you’ve seen it, though many of those didn’t have any script on them and the ones that did it was not paint filled, though there were a few that were “finished” cosmetically.

The other thing is if you look at any future 8802 design Wilson or Staff putters, there is not a single one that said “The Wilson 8802” on the sole, as the 1963-64 release did.

There was “The Original 8802,” “R. Mendralla,” release(pictured), etc., however not one other 8802 design “The 8802 Wilson” on the sole and EVERY single later release, while some of the dimensions(face size, head weight) changed, as I’ve also included a self taken pic of the nickel shot that was first posted to use as one way of determining the legitimacy of a “The Wilson 8802” versus the face size as a ton of fakes flooded the market though they didn’t pass the “nickel test(Pop, for s**** & giggles, if you can, please lay a nickel on the club face as pictured and snap a pic?),” versus the face size of the circa 2014 release and another factor that leads me to believe that this is not a Wilson retail released example is that THE only part of “The Wilson 8802” that was EVER in red fill was “Wilson,” with both “The” & “8802” being in white fill. That is actually the second thing that struck me(after the difference in design as @Steele47 brought up). The other thing is that looking at this putter in its totality, it’s like some idiot went off the cliff on uber blast, sticking script on any available area and empty space to show its legitimacy, LMAO?. I’m speaking to the the “milled” on the face,” a second “Wilson” on the face back and then the sole, lolol. It’s part of that “he doth protest too much,” cept he just tried to hard to make this “legit,” lmao?.

Then, to change the design shape of THE most iconic blade of All-Time and then have the balls to put “The Wilson 8802” on it?????

As I said, I’ve got EVERY Wilson/Staff retail release of the 8802 ever sold, and this ain’t one of em so I guess, as I stated above, it could’ve been a custom or one off, though I still have my doubts, however you know your s*** RG, though regardless, for $90, one can acquire a pristine example of the “The Wilson 8802,” and nothing ever beats THE Original. If I’m sitting in a meeting with Staff design guys and execs, and this example is put on the table as a finished product, especially when I was younger and I lived by “ready, fire...,” lol, I would’ve gone Apes*** ?, lolol. I would’ve gotten my a** fired, lmao(and no, prior to going out on my own at 32yo, I never got fired?).

To bastardize the original 8802 design with those curves and lines and then have the balls to stamp “The Wilson 8802” on it????

That is THE most iconic blade and arguable THE MOST ICONIC putter of All-Time.

If ya have the time and inclination Pop, you should take a few more angled close up shots, contact Wilson, send em into em in an email and ask them. I was 98%+ positive that this was not a legitimate Wilson retail produced putter though after RG’s post my confidence level is 95%+, and I’m not being funny cuz here there are less than a handful, and I’m counting fingers, of the guys on this board who I would say this of and could cause me pause.

RG, the red gripped example that you spoke of(Lamkin 3GEN Smooth Pistol grip, pictured) above was a circa 2014 335gr head weight(versus the 330gr HW of The Wilson 8802) release(pictured) and one, is still true to the the original design of “The Wilson 8802” and has “Wilson Staff 8802” stamped on the bottom with “Wilson Staff” in black fill and the “8802” in gold(pictured), versus “The Wilson 8802.”

Pop, for s**** & giggles, I’m still willing to bet that Benjamin that that example was not a genuine retail release putter if you’d like to take the other side of the wager. One thing is, and I can’t stamd this about the herd and the sheople, especially in the virtual world, and that is that a lot of guys pop off about stuff, yet they’ll put no skin in the game. I am not referring to RG, as like I said, he caused me to rethink my certainty, and there are less than 5 guys on this board who could do that, especially regarding Staff or Mizzy, lolol. However, right or wrong, I’ll always walk the talk? iw69w4luml9n.jpeg

b58lw3wpk1bz.jpeg

usu4xf7ox9iw.jpeg

mf5s5dtkxjpw.jpeg

hnflk58gf19m.jpeg

6eb3ad1qepqe.jpeg

7mje6988tths.jpeg

gc5negb7omaq.jpeg

3a8ps8wqzldx.jpeg

3a0eq1skrztf.jpeg

If you’re correct, ya got a rare Iconic putter for free, lol?

Anyhoo, have a great day Brother?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

RGK is definitely correct here, the original one pictured is** not **a fake. The black milled head was the stock head for the limited edition The Wilson 8802 Michael Jordan model that was released around the time the Chicago Bulls completed their first three peat in the early 1990s. Those models had the Michael Jordan Golf logo (toe) and Michael Jordan's signature (heel) engraved on the face and a x/2300 on the hosel. They came in a collector's display box with a certificate of authenticity signed by Robert Mendralla and a Wilson Staff head cover as well.

The ones without the Jordan engraving were sold in green grass shops with Wilson Staff accounts at the time but they were never particularly popular. Looking at this one I would imagine it has been refinished because the stock finish tended to not hold up after a few years.

> @bma725 said:

> RGK is definitely correct here, the original one pictured is** not **a fake. The black milled head was the stock head for the limited edition The Wilson 8802 Michael Jordan model that was released around the time the Chicago Bulls completed their first three peat in the early 1990s. Those models had the Michael Jordan Golf logo (toe) and Michael Jordan's signature (heel) engraved on the face and a x/2300 on the hosel. They came in a collector's display box with a certificate of authenticity signed by Robert Mendralla and a Wilson Staff head cover as well.

>

> The ones without the Jordan engraving were sold in green grass shops with Wilson Staff accounts at the time but they were never particularly popular. Looking at this one I would imagine it has been refinished because the stock finish tended to not hold up after a few years.

Thanks @bma725, ya saved me $100?

Now I gotta find one, lmao??

My Club(Pittsburgh Field Club) was a large Staff account, the largest in WPA, and I never saw that example.

I’m also gonna find out WhyTF we didn’t get one and why I never saw it, lol

Oh, and I woulda still gone apes***? and gotten my sorry @_ _ fired for rippin whomever designed or gave the approval of that design. I coulda saved em some $$, lol

Thanks for the information BM

Cheers?

RP

> @Forged4ever said:

> > @bma725 said:

> > RGK is definitely correct here, the original one pictured is** not **a fake. The black milled head was the stock head for the limited edition The Wilson 8802 Michael Jordan model that was released around the time the Chicago Bulls completed their first three peat in the early 1990s. Those models had the Michael Jordan Golf logo (toe) and Michael Jordan's signature (heel) engraved on the face and a x/2300 on the hosel. They came in a collector's display box with a certificate of authenticity signed by Robert Mendralla and a Wilson Staff head cover as well.

> >

> > The ones without the Jordan engraving were sold in green grass shops with Wilson Staff accounts at the time but they were never particularly popular. Looking at this one I would imagine it has been refinished because the stock finish tended to not hold up after a few years.

>

> Thanks @bma725, ya saved me $100?

>

> Now I gotta find one, lmao??

>

> My Club(Pittsburgh Field Club) was a large Staff account, the largest in WPA, and I never saw that example.

>

>** I’m also gonna find out WhyTF we didn’t get one and why I never saw it, lol**

>

> Oh, and I woulda still gone apes***? and gotten my sorry @_ _ fired for rippin whomever designed or gave the approval of that design. I coulda saved em some $$, lol

>

> Thanks for the information BM

>

> Cheers?

> RP

>

>

Richard, don't bust your hump looking for one. They feel like a ceramic brick compared to the original. I had an 8813 Designed by Arnold Palmer that got stolen in 1969 along with some 1964 Dynapowers and 1-3-4 Wilson Staff Stratbloc white insert woods. Broke my little heart. LMAO

Those were the best fairway wood set I ever owned in the wood era but the best single overall was a Staff 4300 4-wood with the "S" flex Ultralite shaft. Who the **** invented the name Ultralite? It might have been a good name for toothpaste or hair colouring.

Be well my friend.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke 11*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Srixon F45 4-wood, 17*, Kuro Kage 606 S
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

> @bma725 said:

> RGK is definitely correct here, the original one pictured is** not **a fake. The black milled head was the stock head for the limited edition The Wilson 8802 Michael Jordan model that was released around the time the Chicago Bulls completed their first three peat in the early 1990s. Those models had the Michael Jordan Golf logo (toe) and Michael Jordan's signature (heel) engraved on the face and a x/2300 on the hosel. They came in a collector's display box with a certificate of authenticity signed by Robert Mendralla and a Wilson Staff head cover as well.

>

> The ones without the Jordan engraving were sold in green grass shops with Wilson Staff accounts at the time but they were never particularly popular. Looking at this one I would imagine it has been refinished because the stock finish tended to not hold up after a few years.

I’m agreeing with this. I know I have seen this putter before but I’m old and can’t remember where. It had boxier lines than most 8802 classic models and a squarer tie more like the Nicklaus model blades...that’s why I remember it. I always liked the boxier blade look with thicker top line.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Forged-

Good to see you still posting about Wilson, and all of your wonderful memories with Arnie and Sam.

Seems we always have that debate about "the 8802 model" each year.

Let me know if the following items are true-

Arnold Palmer ended his contract with Wilson October 31, 1963.

Those Wilson "Designed By Arnold Palmer"(DBAP), or "Arnold Palmer" model putters predated Wilson designating the 8802 and 8813 models.

Wasn't the first one Arnie designed was a MacGregor Tommy Armour Ironmaster he just kept working on until he got the look and feel he wanted? Hmmm.

How many different equipment companies offered this style putter?

Of course, Arnie did paint his putter Black, named it "Bandit", and won a few majors with it.

With all these new Design and Milled putters having a Black finish, it was just a matter of time...