My experience gaming clubs that were designed for my handicap range

MtlJeff

> @bladehunter said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > I guess I can't really talk being that I'm someone who's posted a lot in these threads but dang it sure seems like there are a million people on WRX that think there's a global conspiracy of OEMs out there trying to fool us into playing something sinister.

> >

> > When the OP recommends playing something that fits your level of skill and it elicits a bunch of _"Don't tell me what to do!"_ type of responses something seems off.

> >

> > I have to wonder if a large portion of this board is a bit anti-social maybe?

> >

> > I play 2-3 times a week with a bunch of friends and we're always discussing equipment when somebody gets something new: a set of wedges, a new fairway metal, a different shaft, etc.

> >

> >

>

> Well.

>

> Anecdotal , sure. But here goes.

>

>

> The global conspiracy is alive. I’m a guy who’s in the market , cash in fist for a new MB set of irons. And I cannot find a set to buy. Why ? **** if I know.

>

> Taylormade has over sold and under delivered on the P7-tw set that I tried to buy. The hold up for another month ? 3 iron heads. These idiots built a tiger spec iron and forgot the 3 iron. Epic fail in many levels. And best yet. Won’t Ship just the 4-pw and 3 iron later.

>

> Wilson isn’t releasing theirs yet . And ping still hasn’t come up with a date for blueprint sales. I guess mid summer makes sense ( not) for a mb release. Please. Good players want their irons early to be able to acclimate before events. Not mid July. Ffs.

>

> And yes there are other brands. Neither of which have the traditional short iron shapes I’m after. They’ve all gone to a uniform 8-Pw that is a slender shape like the 3-7 irons. No good. I want a real pitching wedge **** it !

>

> Oems do not want to sell mb irons. Conspiracy fact !

"Because that's where the money is"... it's the reason rob banks and the reason golf club manufacturers build the clubs they build... I actually wonder what sort of research they have and use to develop and sell golf clubs... I think at the end of the day, they know there is no guarantee their product will lower scores... Ideally it will, but really, that's up to the person holding the stick... and they want everyone to hold their stick. So they have marketing teams selling clubs and engineers trying to keep up with the promises the marketing team makes.

But few people actually BUY clubs without hitting them (please remember, this community is the vocal minority of golfers), so in my mind, every club manufacturer is going to want their flagship club to FEEL like a great club... Hit our designer 790s! and then buy the actual clubs that fit your game... (there are exceptions, but I believe this to be the case for TM and Calloway at least). Having a flagship player's iron available at the beginning of the season just means people are going to try the wrong club in their lineup and move on to the nice feeling flagship club of another brand.

There is your conspiracy.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

> @MelloYello said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> >

> > What I said was choosing clubs that are marketed towards my "skill level" worked for me and I asked if other people found the same when they made their club choices

>

> I have to wonder what gets people so triggered when the topic of skill level and handicap comes up.

>

> My theory is a lot of these people who are mid-handicaps are used to being seen as one the best players in their real life group. The typical WRX'er is probably practicing more than their friends and therefore better at golf, right?

>

> So my hunch is that people who feel superior in real life come here only to find they are confronted by a mass of really good players posting behind handicaps that are as good or better. That leaves those original mid-handicaps feeling understandably out-of-place. I think it leads to a lot of defensive posting about how "I'm a ___-handicap BUUUT...."

>

> IDK, I'm just trying to wrap my head around some of the hostility.

![](https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/010/559/greaterintfuckwad.jpg "")

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @bladehunter said:

> > @MelloYello said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > I guess I can't really talk being that I'm someone who's posted a lot in these threads but dang it sure seems like there are a million people on WRX that think there's a global conspiracy of OEMs out there trying to fool us into playing something sinister.

> > > >

> > > > When the OP recommends playing something that fits your level of skill and it elicits a bunch of _"Don't tell me what to do!"_ type of responses something seems off.

> > > >

> > > > I have to wonder if a large portion of this board is a bit anti-social maybe?

> > > >

> > > > I play 2-3 times a week with a bunch of friends and we're always discussing equipment when somebody gets something new: a set of wedges, a new fairway metal, a different shaft, etc.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Well.

> > >

> > > Anecdotal , sure. But here goes.

> > >

> > >

> > > The global conspiracy is alive. I’m a guy who’s in the market , cash in fist for a new MB set of irons. And I cannot find a set to buy. Why ? **** if I know.

> > >

> > > Taylormade has over sold and under delivered on the P7-tw set that I tried to buy. The hold up for another month ? 3 iron heads. These idiots built a tiger spec iron and forgot the 3 iron. Epic fail in many levels. And best yet. Won’t Ship just the 4-pw and 3 iron later.

> > >

> > > Wilson isn’t releasing theirs yet . And ping still hasn’t come up with a date for blueprint sales. I guess mid summer makes sense ( not) for a mb release. Please. Good players want their irons early to be able to acclimate before events. Not mid July. Ffs.

> > >

> > > And yes there are other brands. Neither of which have the traditional short iron shapes I’m after. They’ve all gone to a uniform 8-Pw that is a slender shape like the 3-7 irons. No good. I want a real pitching wedge **** it !

> > >

> > > Oems do not want to sell mb irons. Conspiracy fact !

> >

> > Haha...ah, the unimaginable challenges that underscore the life of poor, poor @bladehunter !

> >

> > Those TW's will / would be sweet though. Real question...are they tipping those X100 shafts, because aren't his? That would be nuts.

>

> Lol. I have no idea. I would reshaft anyway to my shaft choice. It’s the shape I was after. But can’t be had. All are bought up for wall hangers. Even had some dude here gripe that “ I lost a club Distance. So in my closet they go “. Really captain obvious. That blade went shorter than your foam filled club. You don’t say.

Well, TW insinuated that with the new sole milling he can now comfortably play new irons at each tournament.

So if you don't mind digging through the trash after each event...

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @MelloYello said:

> > > > > I guess I can't really talk being that I'm someone who's posted a lot in these threads but dang it sure seems like there are a million people on WRX that think there's a global conspiracy of OEMs out there trying to fool us into playing something sinister.

> > > > >

> > > > > When the OP recommends playing something that fits your level of skill and it elicits a bunch of _"Don't tell me what to do!"_ type of responses something seems off.

> > > > >

> > > > > I have to wonder if a large portion of this board is a bit anti-social maybe?

> > > > >

> > > > > I play 2-3 times a week with a bunch of friends and we're always discussing equipment when somebody gets something new: a set of wedges, a new fairway metal, a different shaft, etc.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Well.

> > > >

> > > > Anecdotal , sure. But here goes.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > The global conspiracy is alive. I’m a guy who’s in the market , cash in fist for a new MB set of irons. And I cannot find a set to buy. Why ? **** if I know.

> > > >

> > > > Taylormade has over sold and under delivered on the P7-tw set that I tried to buy. The hold up for another month ? 3 iron heads. These idiots built a tiger spec iron and forgot the 3 iron. Epic fail in many levels. And best yet. Won’t Ship just the 4-pw and 3 iron later.

> > > >

> > > > Wilson isn’t releasing theirs yet . And ping still hasn’t come up with a date for blueprint sales. I guess mid summer makes sense ( not) for a mb release. Please. Good players want their irons early to be able to acclimate before events. Not mid July. Ffs.

> > > >

> > > > And yes there are other brands. Neither of which have the traditional short iron shapes I’m after. They’ve all gone to a uniform 8-Pw that is a slender shape like the 3-7 irons. No good. I want a real pitching wedge **** it !

> > > >

> > > > Oems do not want to sell mb irons. Conspiracy fact !

> > >

> > > Haha...ah, the unimaginable challenges that underscore the life of poor, poor @bladehunter !

> > >

> > > Those TW's will / would be sweet though. Real question...are they tipping those X100 shafts, because aren't his? That would be nuts.

> >

> > Lol. I have no idea. I would reshaft anyway to my shaft choice. It’s the shape I was after. But can’t be had. All are bought up for wall hangers. Even had some dude here gripe that “ I lost a club Distance. So in my closet they go “. Really captain obvious. That blade went shorter than your foam filled club. You don’t say.

>

> Well, TW insinuated that with the new sole milling he can now comfortably play new irons at each tournament.

>

> So if you don't mind digging through the trash after each event...

Lol. You could make a good living dumpster diving on promises like that !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @MtlJeff said:

> > @puttingmatt said:

> > Thats a no, and I am a low handicap. Never bought into

> > Buy clubs based on handicap, I split time between the X Forged 18's

> > And the Callaway MB's. My scores stay the same. Instead of worrying

> > If you have the right clubs, Whatever that is, Just go play.

>

> I actually have a soft spot for SGI type clubs if they look nice. I played G15 irons for 2 years and honesty am considering G410 irons

>

> But I do like the versatility of the apex pros and I'm not sure I really need more forgiveness, the only benefit for me might be better launch with 4 iron. Although it may be offset by a more ballooning flight into the wind maybe with 7-8 type irons. Hard to say

Have you tried the Apex 4 iron? I have the same irons, but for now I don't have any issue elevating my 4 iron, but I do have the Apex 3 iron which is a beast off the tee and fairway. So easy to elevate.

> @Golf4lifer said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > > @puttingmatt said:

> > > Thats a no, and I am a low handicap. Never bought into

> > > Buy clubs based on handicap, I split time between the X Forged 18's

> > > And the Callaway MB's. My scores stay the same. Instead of worrying

> > > If you have the right clubs, Whatever that is, Just go play.

> >

> > I actually have a soft spot for SGI type clubs if they look nice. I played G15 irons for 2 years and honesty am considering G410 irons

> >

> > But I do like the versatility of the apex pros and I'm not sure I really need more forgiveness, the only benefit for me might be better launch with 4 iron. Although it may be offset by a more ballooning flight into the wind maybe with 7-8 type irons. Hard to say

>

> Have you tried the Apex 4 iron? I have the same irons, but for now I don't have any issue elevating my 4 iron, but I do have the Apex 3 iron which is a beast off the tee and fairway. So easy to elevate.

I'm gonna see how it goes early in the season. I have a general rule to try and not overreact based on sims and indoor range. So we'll see how it plays out on the course

If I struggle differentiating my 4 from my 5 I'll look at reshafting the 4 to get a higher trajectory.

Part of me just wants new irons. So I may also look at something like 919 forged or the new apex pros but with AMT or nippons to launch a bit higher

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It's alway seems to be the higher cappers using small players clubs and blades that take offence to the suggestion that they may be better served by more GI oriented irons. Almost never the other way around. When I bought my G25's the fitting guy at the store saw me swinging (I was a 7 capper at the time) and asked why I wanted G's instead of i's? I told him I want the forgiveness because my miss is out on the toe and mitigating that is more valuable to my game than the workability of smaller clubs. Mind you my philosophy has changed over the years; when I was younger I played blades and selected clubs based on appearance. It took me a couple of decades of playing to break the "shovel's" prejudice. If someone told me I would benefit from some GI clubs when I was young I would have scoffed. Truth is though, they would have been right.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

> @MtlJeff said:

> > @Golf4lifer said:

> > > @MtlJeff said:

> > > > @puttingmatt said:

> > > > Thats a no, and I am a low handicap. Never bought into

> > > > Buy clubs based on handicap, I split time between the X Forged 18's

> > > > And the Callaway MB's. My scores stay the same. Instead of worrying

> > > > If you have the right clubs, Whatever that is, Just go play.

> > >

> > > I actually have a soft spot for SGI type clubs if they look nice. I played G15 irons for 2 years and honesty am considering G410 irons

> > >

> > > But I do like the versatility of the apex pros and I'm not sure I really need more forgiveness, the only benefit for me might be better launch with 4 iron. Although it may be offset by a more ballooning flight into the wind maybe with 7-8 type irons. Hard to say

> >

> > Have you tried the Apex 4 iron? I have the same irons, but for now I don't have any issue elevating my 4 iron, but I do have the Apex 3 iron which is a beast off the tee and fairway. So easy to elevate.

>

> I'm gonna see how it goes early in the season. I have a general rule to try and not overreact based on sims and indoor range. So we'll see how it plays out on the course

>

> If I struggle differentiating my 4 from my 5 I'll look at reshafting the 4 to get a higher trajectory.

>

> Part of me just wants new irons. So I may also look at something like 919 forged or the new apex pros but with AMT or nippons to launch a bit higher

I have been debating new irons as well, but I haven't found anything that has that same feel as my Apex Pro's or beats their performance for that matter(other than blades, but I am not sure I want to go there).

I was not a fan of the new Apex Pro's, I love the look, but hate the feel of the cup face. I guess my Apex Pro 16's will get another year of use.

• Like 1

> @Myherobobhope said:

> > @Stanks said:

> > Nope. I'll happily cuss anyone out telling me I should or shouldn't play a certain club. Because check it out. Check it out. I'm not playing with you, for you, or against you. I'm play for me, with me, and against me. I couldn't give a **** about others opinions in golf.

> Seems like a great attitude to have on a golf forum...

> also, the original post didn’t tell you to hit anything... just expressed the simple opinion of play the clubs that work for you... be nicer to Canada or they won’t give you any maple syrup

>

It is. People ask my opinion and I share it. Whether that want to take it into account or not is on them. Couldn’t care less.

OP asked if I had a similar experience to him playing clubs designed for my handicap. I said, “no”. That who question was leading into the whole argument of “play the clubs designed for your handicap”. I see it coming a mile away.

As for the maple syrup, I strategically purchase Vermont made syrup. From when I was a young lad up until now.

The world is made up of geniuses who fail consistently.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

> @Myherobobhope said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @MelloYello said:

> > > I guess I can't really talk being that I'm someone who's posted a lot in these threads but dang it sure seems like there are a million people on WRX that think there's a global conspiracy of OEMs out there trying to fool us into playing something sinister.

> > >

> > > When the OP recommends playing something that fits your level of skill and it elicits a bunch of _"Don't tell me what to do!"_ type of responses something seems off.

> > >

> > > I have to wonder if a large portion of this board is a bit anti-social maybe?

> > >

> > > I play 2-3 times a week with a bunch of friends and we're always discussing equipment when somebody gets something new: a set of wedges, a new fairway metal, a different shaft, etc.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Well.

> >

> > Anecdotal , sure. But here goes.

> >

> >

> > The global conspiracy is alive. I’m a guy who’s in the market , cash in fist for a new MB set of irons. And I cannot find a set to buy. Why ? **** if I know.

> >

> > Taylormade has over sold and under delivered on the P7-tw set that I tried to buy. The hold up for another month ? 3 iron heads. These idiots built a tiger spec iron and forgot the 3 iron. Epic fail in many levels. And best yet. Won’t Ship just the 4-pw and 3 iron later.

> >

> > Wilson isn’t releasing theirs yet . And ping still hasn’t come up with a date for blueprint sales. I guess mid summer makes sense ( not) for a mb release. Please. Good players want their irons early to be able to acclimate before events. Not mid July. Ffs.

> >

> > And yes there are other brands. Neither of which have the traditional short iron shapes I’m after. They’ve all gone to a uniform 8-Pw that is a slender shape like the 3-7 irons. No good. I want a real pitching wedge **** it !

> >

> > Oems do not want to sell mb irons. Conspiracy fact !

>

> "Because that's where the money is"... it's the reason rob banks and the reason golf club manufacturers build the clubs they build... I actually wonder what sort of research they have and use to develop and sell golf clubs... I think at the end of the day, they know there is no guarantee their product will lower scores... Ideally it will, but really, that's up to the person holding the stick... and they want everyone to hold their stick. So they have marketing teams selling clubs and engineers trying to keep up with the promises the marketing team makes.

> But few people actually BUY clubs without hitting them (please remember, this community is the vocal minority of golfers), so in my mind, every club manufacturer is going to want their flagship club to FEEL like a great club... Hit our designer 790s! and then buy the actual clubs that fit your game... (there are exceptions, but I believe this to be the case for TM and Calloway at least). Having a flagship player's iron available at the beginning of the season just means people are going to try the wrong club in their lineup and move on to the nice feeling flagship club of another brand.

> There is your conspiracy.

I wish that engineers were trying to keep up with the salesmen, but when you realise that the R&D budget of the OEMs is about one-eighth of the marketing budget you know that will never be the case.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

> @dciccoritti said:

> > @Myherobobhope said:

> > also, the original post didn’t tell you to hit anything... just expressed the simple opinion of play the clubs that work for you...

> >

> Ummmm......no....that's not what was expressed.

>

Ummmmm,,,,,,, yes, that was what was expressed,,,,,, it's just not what you "saw".

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @GolfTurkey said:

> I get fitted, keep an open mind and buy whatever I hit the best. I wouldn't care if that's SGI clubs or blades or anything In between, it's the results that count.

That is FAR TOO RATIONAL. You have NO right being in these threads, MAYBE not even on the site !!! (<---- that's sarcasm for the perceptively challenged LOL)

Titleist Pro V1X

> @mahonie said:

> The real question is whether you choose clubs that are designed for your handicap range or are fooled into buying clubs that are MARKETED at your handicap range.

What business school did you attend that taught you to market products and to fool people into buying things that weren't suited to them ?

The Wharton School of Hit and Run ?

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @mahonie said:

> > The real question is whether you choose clubs that are designed for your handicap range or are fooled into buying clubs that are MARKETED at your handicap range.

>

> What business school did you attend that taught you to market products and to fool people into buying things that weren't suited to them ?

>

> The Wharton School of Hit and Run ?

I think it’s actually called TMU

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @Nessism said:

> It's alway seems to be the higher cappers using small players clubs and blades that take offence to the suggestion that they may be better served by more GI oriented irons. Almost never the other way around. When I bought my G25's the fitting guy at the store saw me swinging (I was a 7 capper at the time) and asked why I wanted G's instead of i's? I told him I want the forgiveness because my miss is out on the toe and mitigating that is more valuable to my game than the workability of smaller clubs. Mind you my philosophy has changed over the years; when I was younger I played blades and selected clubs based on appearance. It took me a couple of decades of playing to break the "shovel's" prejudice. If someone told me I would benefit from some GI clubs when I was young I would have scoffed. Truth is though, they would have been right.

It's worth telling this story again. I have a friend who I used to play squash with, and he was a good squash player; excellent doubles partner. He has won his club championship something like 14 times. He's probably 5' 8", so not a large arc. He is isn't long off the tee, but he's long enough. His short game would be off the charts, and he is the most competitive person that I know. He has strong hands and forearms. He plays AP1 (712) with graphite regular shafts. He plays them because they work.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @nsxguy said:

> > @dciccoritti said:

> > > @Myherobobhope said:

> > > also, the original post didn’t tell you to hit anything... just expressed the simple opinion of play the clubs that work for you...

> > >

> > Ummmm......no....that's not what was expressed.

> >

>

> Ummmmm,,,,,,, yes, that was what was expressed,,,,,, it's just not what you "saw".

Ummm...no. Myherobobhope said "play the clubs that work for you". Completely different than "play the clubs that were designed for your handicap". Do you not see the difference? I didn't think so ;-)

I normally like to concur with my fellow Canadian, but I read the OP and simply cannot.

I'm not sure what degree of research and thought went into the post, but the underlying content does not pass muster.

Maybe in hindsight the OP will realise and correct this... well what I hop is an oversight or even a typo, and not a deliberate attempt to obfuscate...

... 4. Apex Pros are clearly a 4. :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I a> @dciccoritti said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > > @dciccoritti said:

> > > > @Myherobobhope said:

> > > > also, the original post didn’t tell you to hit anything... just expressed the simple opinion of play the clubs that work for you...

> > > >

> > > Ummmm......no....that's not what was expressed.

> > >

> >

> > Ummmmm,,,,,,, yes, that was what was expressed,,,,,, it's just not what you "saw".

>

> Ummm...no. Myherobobhope said "play the clubs that work for you". Completely different than "play the clubs that were designed for your handicap". Do you not see the difference? I didn't think so ;-)

I have not once in this thread told people what they should be doing. I said I did something that worked for me and asked if anyone else had the same experience.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

> @duffer987 said:

> I normally like to concur with my fellow Canadian, but I read the OP and simply cannot.

> I'm not sure what degree of research and thought went into the post, but the underlying content does not pass muster.

> Maybe in hindsight the OP will realise and correct this... well what I hop is an oversight or even a typo, and not a deliberate attempt to obfuscate...

>

> ... 4. Apex Pros are clearly a 4. :)

LoL, you know I spent way too much time debating whether they should be a 3 or a 4!

I honestly thought about it for like 5 minutes

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I’m probably about a 9 right now playing Apex cf16 5-PW which I think match my handicap. Like others people on here I have played with blades or small CB before and if I stop at 5i (27 degree) on those set I have no problem playing them. 4i with 24 degree, 38 something inches long with thin top line and small offset makes me swing out of whack.

Titleist TSR2 10 

Titleist 917 F2 5W

Ping 4h 5h

Vega 6-PW
Vega Alcor 50
Titleist SM 8 54
Fourteen RM4 58
Odyssey Eleven Tour Line S 

> @Nard_S said:

> How come this standard is never applied to Driver (metals), wedges and putter?

> How is it progress when you need a wedge set, bladed shorts, GI mids and hybrids (all with progressive kicked and weighted shafts too) to cover what was once one uniform configuration?

I have actually pondered aloud at times why someone can hit a 460cc driver but be offended at the sight of SGI irons due to clunkiness. It does seem a bit bizarre.

Anyway, I'm not sure what standard isn't being applied, I think some mfr's do target players with drivers too (open faced vs non, etc)

Edit**** interestingly I own two drivers, one is an F8+ which is a "better players" club. The other a G400 max. If I use the F8+ I'd say my whole bag probably fits the "intended customer" in terms of marketing

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I've never bought into the theory that as your handicap drops you should buy less forgiving clubs - I know the OP is not insinuating that but a lot of the Marketing is subtly telling us that. I've also never understood the whole turf interaction thing - this concept is usually a concern with better players who know how to hit a golf ball. Good ball-strikers hit the ball then the turf - does it really matter if the sole is narrow or wide as the truth of the matter is the ball is long gone before the ground is struck. I can see where a high handicap would prefer fat soles as they most likely slide into the ball or scoop it, but concerns like turf interaction are usually not high on the list of beginning golfers.

> @BottleCap said:

> You don't fit clubs for handicaps, you fit for a swing.

Honestly, one of my biggest takeaways from this thread and others is that no one is actually getting fitted. I will be getting my entire bag fitted this season and I'm very curious to see how it goes.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

OK, I've been thinking about this thread and the others that inspired it more than I should... Here are my main takeaways, and then I'm going to take my daughters for BBQ.

1. Those of us killing time here play this game for recreation. To that end, play what you want. The mid handicap blade guy loves the look and feel of his blades. Great for him! Glad he's happy with the clubs in his bag. I hope I'm equally happy with my new clubs.

2. If you actually want to improve your handicap, you should consider what you need out of your clubs. For me, I need lower flight and less spin. This is different than other people. That's OK! I'm working on building a low spin bag, but it's going to take the season. Whether or not I gain strokes on my handicap, and how much is based on clubs vs everything else is and interesting question. I'm not sure if it's quantifiable. Honestly, much like that zombie cat, I'm pretty sure actively observing my golf game will have a significant impact on it... Maybe something I should think about! I'm going to start tracking rounds... since I'm replacing everything gradually, I might generate usable data (this is not a promise, and I'll likely forget to do this... if someone has a good golf tracking app, send me a link)

3. You can't and shouldn't tell other people how to be happy. We should all focus on our own joy. MTLJeff's original point was better than I gave him credit for. He stated he has had success playing the irons he felt were designed for him. I can't argue with that logic. I'll play what makes me happy, I hope you find similar peace.

4. Brisket is really good when done well (and not well done!) but hard to find consistent stuff if you don't have a top tier BBQ restaurant... I think I need to get back into Sous Vide and grilling and see if I can turn out a consistent product... I made a really good corned beef and pastrami at my last office cookout (last in more ways than one, as I got let go at the end of that day!)

Have a wonderful day! Good luck in your quest to find whatever it is you are looking for. Personally, I'd like to get back to being a low single digit handicap without having to play everyday... I'm looking forward to building my entire bag and trying to figure out if all the pieces work.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

> @MtlJeff said:

> > @Nard_S said:

> > How come this standard is never applied to Driver (metals), wedges and putter?

> > How is it progress when you need a wedge set, bladed shorts, GI mids and hybrids (all with progressive kicked and weighted shafts too) to cover what was once one uniform configuration?

>

> I have actually pondered aloud at times why someone can hit a 460cc driver but be offended at the sight of SGI irons due to clunkiness. It does seem a bit bizarre.

>

> Anyway, I'm not sure what standard isn't being applied, I think some mfr's do target players with drivers too (open faced vs non, etc)

>

> Edit**** interestingly I own two drivers, one is an F8+ which is a "better players" club. The other a G400 max. If I use the F8+ I'd say my whole bag probably fits the "intended customer" in terms of marketing

>

>

I think that if your playing better players' irons, it should be matched by the same in metals. I do find it weird folks can be all GI on one or "All Pro" on the other and that goes both ways. Blade guys w/ bombastic mega GI driver or SGI guys w/ DJ's TX shaft. Things should be symbiotic in my book.

• Like 1