Wilson Staff Duo Soft Spin reviews?

Konklifer

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played a lot of rounds with the Duo Soft Matte (not the spin version) and spin has been surprisingly adequate. Wedges check decently and plenty of spin on full shots. I really have found very little to complain about with them.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

I didn't notice that much difference between it and the regular duo to justify the extra money. I understand the point of the Duo-U, but the Duo Spin didn't really seem to do much for me.

Completely agree. For me, there isn't enough of a feel and performance difference to justify the higher cost of the Spin over the regular DUO.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo Belly No Belly

I didn't notice that much difference between it and the regular duo to justify the extra money. I understand the point of the Duo-U, but the Duo Spin didn't really seem to do much for me.

Completely agree. For me, there isn't enough of a feel and performance difference to justify the higher cost of the Spin over the regular DUO.

Ditto.

I got a deal on the Duo Spin, paying the same as the regular Duo. I'm not good enough to tell the difference and I'll go back to the regular Duo when I run out of Duo Spins. I like the yellow coloured ball better.

D - TaylorMade Stealth2 HD 9°, Tensei AV blue 65, x-flex
F - TaylorMade SIM2 15° & 19°, Tensei AV blue 65fw & 60, s-flex
H - TaylorMade SIM2 22°, Tensei AV blue 80hy, s-flex
I - Mizuno MP-20hmb, 5-PW, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
W - Mizuno T22, 50° 56° 62°, Dynamic Gold 120, S300
P - Mizuno M-craft OMOI 3
B - Vice Pro

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't used them extensively , but I got one box...and at the same time I also got a box of Callaway supersofts.

My driver has a black face and after I hit a ball I can see the mark clearly. The duo leaves a mark that nearly looks bigger than the golf ball itself. It compresses that much. I can also notice the soft weak hit through my hands. The supersoft leaves a mark maybe 2/3 the size of the ball and goes approx 20m further . It is surprising given that one is rated at 29 compression and the other at 30. I think if you swing close to 100, give the duo's a miss.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone used these extensively? Verdict?

No one has replied about the Duo Soft Spin! Perhaps you were asking about the Duo Spin?

I was talking about the Duo Soft Spin, anyone game these? Is there a difference between them and the prior gen, other than the new ball has the Wilson shield and should feel slighltly firmer?

• 3 weeks later...

Was playing them till I found q stars for $16/dozen. Just a better feeling ball all around to me. I gained a lot of spin when I switched from regular duo to the spin. But it was short lived lol

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

seems a few people have found the spin differential negligible for the price difference but what about buying the spin model just to have a ball that is soft but not crazy soft.....?

the spin model seems to be around the same compression as the callaway supersoft. there isnt much else in that range. next best that im aware of is the titleist dt trusoft but thats up around 60, almost as much as a chromesoft. and everything above trusoft seems to be tour spec / urethane / $

thoughts?

seems a few people have found the spin differential negligible for the price difference but what about buying the spin model just to have a ball that is soft but not crazy soft.....?

the spin model seems to be around the same compression as the callaway supersoft. there isnt much else in that range. next best that im aware of is the titleist dt trusoft but thats up around 60, almost as much as a chromesoft. and everything above trusoft seems to be tour spec / urethane / $

thoughts?

It's hard to find a soft ball that spins that isn't urethane. Gamersoft is close. Duo U is a nice soft urethane ball on sale now.

Are these different from the DX2 Soft, which according to the Wilson website is only available in Europe? I found the DX2 Soft in Japan and bought them to use when I play persimmon. I like them a lot, though I think the Chrome Soft is slightly longer. Feel is good off the woods and irons, and bite is good around the greens. The low price is an added bonus.

Are these different from the DX2 Soft, which according to the Wilson website is only available in Europe? I found the DX2 Soft in Japan and bought them to use when I play persimmon. I like them a lot, though I think the Chrome Soft is slightly longer. Feel is good off the woods and irons, and bite is good around the greens. The low price is an added bonus.

DX2 = Duo

DX2 Soft = Duo Soft

DX3 Spin = Duo Spin

DX3 Soft Spin = Duo Soft Spin

DX3 Urethane = Duo Urethane

They DX is for Europe, the Duo is for the US, but they are the same ball. They added the soft to the name for 2018. Supposedly they made some minor changes to the ball for 2018, but I didn't notice a difference at all between the older and newer models.

The Duo Soft/DX2 Soft is a pretty good proxy for a Callaway Supersoft. It's about the same price point and I doubt blind you'd be able to tell much difference between them. The Duo Soft Spin/DX3 Soft Spin has slightly more compression (29/40) and also has a third layer which should generate slightly more spin. I didn't notice any fundamental difference between the two when I played them. A better ball striker might, but I think the feel and the spin are close enough that my strike is going to override it most of the time.

The Duo Urethane is a very good proxy for the 2017 three piece Chromesoft. It's slightly softer in compression, but I didn't notice much difference in feel off full shots and the green side spin was pretty similar. They were also sold at a similar price point. As current balls go, it's probably closest to the Project(a) or the AVX. As a bonus, it's usually easier to find cheap than those two. If I had to play one ball, this would probably be it.

The FG Tour is a very good proxy for the 2018 four piece Chromesoft. They're both four piece urethane balls. The compression is pretty similar and they're about the same price point. The biggest difference is you can usually find the FG Tour on discount in a lot of places.

• 4 weeks later...

Is the Duo Soft Spin a marshmallow like the regular Duo? What ball does the DSS compare to firmness-wise?

The Duo is 29 Compression. The Duo Spin is 35 compression. The Duo Urethane is 55 compression. The FG Tour is 70 Compression.

I understand the literature but the numbers don't tell the story. Compression is a very misleading number.

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I just tried the Duo Soft the other weekend and was pretty impressed. I normally play the RZN Tour Platinums and fpund the distance to be pretty close on everything, I think the driver was a bit less than the RZN but not by much. The feeling of the Duo was crazy, like most people have said its like hitting a marshmallow but in 50* temps it can be kinda nice on mishits. The greens were soft so I was able to hold the greens very well with the Duo. On the first hole I hit a nice high draw with a pitching wedge from about 140 and it hit and stopped about a foot from its mark.

> @Xdmike20 said:

> I know this is an old thread but I just tried the Duo Soft the other weekend and was pretty impressed. I normally play the RZN Tour Platinums and fpund the distance to be pretty close on everything, I think the driver was a bit less than the RZN but not by much. The feeling of the Duo was crazy, like most people have said its like hitting a marshmallow but in 50* temps it can be kinda nice on mishits. The greens were soft so I was able to hold the greens very well with the Duo. On the first hole I hit a nice high draw with a pitching wedge from about 140 and it hit and stopped about a foot from its mark.

Duo or Duo Soft Spin, any feedback on the DSS? I liked the previous gen quite a lot.

> @Tanner25 said:

> > @Xdmike20 said:

> > I know this is an old thread but I just tried the Duo Soft the other weekend and was pretty impressed. I normally play the RZN Tour Platinums and fpund the distance to be pretty close on everything, I think the driver was a bit less than the RZN but not by much. The feeling of the Duo was crazy, like most people have said its like hitting a marshmallow but in 50* temps it can be kinda nice on mishits. The greens were soft so I was able to hold the greens very well with the Duo. On the first hole I hit a nice high draw with a pitching wedge from about 140 and it hit and stopped about a foot from its mark.

>

> Duo or Duo Soft Spin, any feedback on the DSS? I liked the previous gen quite a lot.

>

I played the Duo Soft. I would like to try and find some Soft Spins to test out. I just went to GG yesterday and all they had were the Optix and Softs. I might try Dick's and see if they have any.

> @Xdmike20 said:

> I know this is an old thread but I just tried the Duo Soft the other weekend and was pretty impressed. I normally play the RZN Tour Platinums and fpund the distance to be pretty close on everything, I think the driver was a bit less than the RZN but not by much. The feeling of the Duo was crazy, like most people have said its like hitting a marshmallow but in 50* temps it can be kinda nice on mishits. The greens were soft so I was able to hold the greens very well with the Duo. On the first hole I hit a nice high draw with a pitching wedge from about 140 and it hit and stopped about a foot from its mark.

Try Academy Sports, they have a nice selection of Wilson balls.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/wilson-staff-duo-soft-spin-golf-balls-12-pack?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1fb-7-Xu4QIVzQOGCh0kvAQXEAQYASABEgIf_vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#repChildCatid=5022257&affcode=42&campid=1671448951&adgroupid=65142850696&device=c&keyword=113845229&Channel=pla

Because I play Hogan persimmon woods (1992 apex) “hard” tour style balls ( like pro v 1s) are out of the question. I also play 1988 Hogan Apex redline irons, I am always looking for and trying out low compression balls. After trying Bridgestone , Titleist, Calaway ands few others, several years ago I settled on Wilson duo balls. Then Wilson came out with duo spin and since the two more iterations. As of this spring I’ve found my best results with the new 40 compression Wilson duo soft spin. I’m getting great distance and the feel is, well, much like I remember the Titleist tour balata that I played until it was discontinued back in the late 90s. Playing the clubs I use, feel is more important to me than a couple extra yards off the driver. I play to a 4 handicap.

The new Wilson is stunningly excellent.