Cobra F9 irons!!!!!!

collingsom1a

Can anyone post some up close pics of the soles at different angles?

They look odd to me and I can't get a good idea of what they look like from the pics online

Rogue ST Max 9 Degree Tensei AV White 65x
G400 3 Wood Tour75x

Sub70 699U 2 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
PXG 0211DC 5-GW Tour Elevate x
PXG 0311 52 & 58 Tour Elevate x
Taylormade Spider X

They look odd to me and I can't get a good idea of what they look like from the pics online

Thank you. I thought they had a funny looking bump on the sole. That looks really odd. How is the turf interaction with that thing on the bottom vs flat?

Thank you. I thought they had a funny looking bump on the sole. That looks really odd. How is the turf interaction with that thing on the bottom vs flat?

I have very little outdoor experience at this point, but I think turf interaction will be similar to my prior irons 714 ap1. We will see once I get more time, With all the melting I may get out next week again.

G400 3 Wood Tour75x

G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
Taylormade Spider X

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Les Strokes" said:

> Has anyone tested the F9's against the CF16 or 19?

Hi, I own original apex in graphite and tried the new cf19 and it was longer than my apex but not significant. I did not get the huge gains those got going from either apex to cf16 or 19...

Then the salesman went away and said hit this you'll hate me for the looks...

I saw a bulky iron with back sticking out visibly.

The immediate first swing went from 157 seven iron to 170. I then hit several over 170 with such ease and so high and so straight. Several went 180 or just under.

It was shocking. They started to look better lol

I actually love a square look and sideways or from bottom I love them it's just that chunk sticking out I'm not sure.

> @buckeyewalt said:

> Went back and hit the f9 for a second time. Being a graphite player, I really didn't like the Atmos R flex shaft. To me it was real whippy compared to my Recoil R flex in my CF16. That said, I tried the club but with a steel shaft and really liked the feel and distance, but I need/want graphite. Still on the fence, we'll see.

I'm a user of graphite due to former right arm pain. They offer recoil smac wrap the nice current black shaft as part of a order. I don't think it's even much of a cost if at all.

• Like 1

> @collingsom1a said:

> Force_Majeur wrote:

>

>

> boggyman wrote:

>

>

>

> Are the 9s that much an improvement or better than the 8s??

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I like the f8's and could have bagged them. I would not be able to play f9 though solely for aesthetic reasons. The sole is visible on the 7 iron at address. They are near-hybrid in size.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> For those being critical of the sizeof the F9, just cool it. It's the ultimate outcome that matters. Take your smug attitude somewhere else, please. Tired of reading where people turn their noses up at different clubs, as if they have the corner on the market of what looks new. In other words, if you cant say something nice, get out of here!!!!

>

>

>

> The person who will enjoy this club is the person who is vertically challenged with ball flight. They could care less what the club looks like if it hits shots they never dreamed they could hit.

One of the worst replies I've ever read on golfwrx. To tell others including me, that looks have no bearing is ridiculous.

If looks didn't matter there wouldn't be such a variety of sizes etc.

Years ago golf digest had a iron that rated well. I looked at it on the golf store and it didn't sit right to my eye. Looked awkward.

I bought them on sale anyhow... Only to find results pretty good... But I would fidget and be uncomfortable. I sold them for a big loss.

To say that a big fat end sticking out the back should be ok to every single golfer is not a great statement. This is a forum to discuss the likes and dislikes of those here looking at them.

I myself loved the performance but could I get past that chunk sticking out? I dunno. Don't be so condescending. Be understanding of preferences in looks. I don't need to see a blade. But it's almost a hybrid iron.

> @sharkhark said:

> > @"Les Strokes" said:

> > Has anyone tested the F9's against the CF16 or 19?

>

> Hi, I own original apex in graphite and tried the new cf19 and it was longer than my apex but not significant. I did not get the huge gains those got going from either apex to cf16 or 19...

> Then the salesman went away and said hit this you'll hate me for the looks...

> I saw a bulky iron with back sticking out visibly.

> The immediate first swing went from 157 seven iron to 170. I then hit several over 170 with such ease and so high and so straight. Several went 180 or just under.

> It was shocking. They started to look better lol

>

> I actually love a square look and sideways or from bottom I love them it's just that chunk sticking out I'm not sure.

I love my CF16 and like you I tried the Apex 19 but didn't get the big increase in distance let alone any significant forgiveness over the CF16. I too don't like the added material sticking behind the iron but the distance is for real. Still on the fence.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 7 iron when they first came out built to my specs. Loved how easy they were to hit, feel and distance. Not crazy about look coming from players cab irons. Posted as much earlier in this thread. Decided to take it out the last couple of rounds and was really impressed. Getting about 175 with my 7 iron which is a fullyclub longer. Forgiveness is excellent and feel off the face is soft. I quickly got over the “looks” and am rallythinking of picking up the rest of the set. I’m a 6hcp, getting older and not practicing as much do to work schedule and am at a point where performance will have to trump ego

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

> @raheelc said:

> Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

I haven't had any Cobra irons for a long time but these have peaked my interest.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Love my one lengths! I switched the ones with the kbs tour 90 to kbs tour 105. Much better dispersion, and they fit better now distance wise with the wedges that have the 120s. I kept the kbs 80 in the one length 5 iron and it works amazing. I also just recieved my "Rickie Fowler" style VL 4i and it is a rocket! Love that club. Best driving iron /fairway wood replacement I have ever tried. The AD IZ 95 shaft is legit!

> @Pack7483 said:

> > @raheelc said:

> > Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

>

> Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

Yes that's what I was referring to, I meant if I was to order the F9 one lengths, but was too choose a different shaft in the custom order option, would the shaft I chose also be progressively weighted, or are only the stock shafts for the F9 one lengths progressively weighted. Apologies if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

> @raheelc said:

> > @Pack7483 said:

> > > @raheelc said:

> > > Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

> >

> > Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

>

> Yes that's what I was referring to, I meant if I was to order the F9 one lengths, but was too choose a different shaft in the custom order option, would the shaft I chose also be progressively weighted, or are only the stock shafts for the F9 one lengths progressively weighted. Apologies if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

I don't think it will make that much of a difference. There is only a gram or so of weight difference between the 80 and 90's. Both in stiff are right at 100 and 102 grams. Cobra told me the swing weights should feel the same if I ordered all the one lengths in the same shaft. I think it is more about launch than weight. The 80's must launch a little higher than the 90's.

> @raheelc said:

> > @Pack7483 said:

> > > @raheelc said:

> > > Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

> >

> > Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

>

> Yes that's what I was referring to, I meant if I was to order the F9 one lengths, but was too choose a different shaft in the custom order option, would the shaft I chose also be progressively weighted, or are only the stock shafts for the F9 one lengths progressively weighted. Apologies if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

Yes as it is required to make the one length system function properly.

> @Pack7483 said:

> > @raheelc said:

> > > @Pack7483 said:

> > > > @raheelc said:

> > > > Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

> > >

> > > Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

> >

> > Yes that's what I was referring to, I meant if I was to order the F9 one lengths, but was too choose a different shaft in the custom order option, would the shaft I chose also be progressively weighted, or are only the stock shafts for the F9 one lengths progressively weighted. Apologies if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

>

> I don't think it will make that much of a difference. There is only a gram or so of weight difference between the 80 and 90's. Both in stiff are right at 100 and 102 grams. Cobra told me the swing weights should feel the same if I ordered all the one lengths in the same shaft. I think it is more about launch than weight. The 80's must launch a little higher than the 90's.

Cool, thanks for the clarification. I keep thinking whether I should go the fitting route, or just order a stock set up. I was fitted some years ago for Callaway X-hot irons, and everything was pretty much stock except the lie angle, which was 2 degrees up. My steelhead XR's are stock configuration.

> @raheelc said:

> > @Pack7483 said:

> > > @raheelc said:

> > > > @Pack7483 said:

> > > > > @raheelc said:

> > > > > Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

> > > >

> > > > Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

> > >

> > > Yes that's what I was referring to, I meant if I was to order the F9 one lengths, but was too choose a different shaft in the custom order option, would the shaft I chose also be progressively weighted, or are only the stock shafts for the F9 one lengths progressively weighted. Apologies if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

> >

> > I don't think it will make that much of a difference. There is only a gram or so of weight difference between the 80 and 90's. Both in stiff are right at 100 and 102 grams. Cobra told me the swing weights should feel the same if I ordered all the one lengths in the same shaft. I think it is more about launch than weight. The 80's must launch a little higher than the 90's.

>

> Cool, thanks for the clarification. I keep thinking whether I should go the fitting route, or just order a stock set up. I was fitted some years ago for Callaway X-hot irons, and everything was pretty much stock except the lie angle, which was 2 degrees up. My steelhead XR's are stock configuration.

If you choose to order without getting fitted, just be aware the standard lie angle is 1 degree more upright in the Cobra F9 irons than both x-hot and xr irons.

G400 3 Wood Tour75x

G400 3 Hybrid Tour85x
Taylormade Spider X

> @Pack7483 said:

> Love my one lengths! I switched the ones with the kbs tour 90 to kbs tour 105. Much better dispersion, and they fit better now distance wise with the wedges that have the 120s. I kept the kbs 80 in the one length 5 iron and it works amazing. I also just recieved my "Rickie Fowler" style VL 4i and it is a rocket! Love that club. Best driving iron /fairway wood replacement I have ever tried. The AD IZ 95 shaft is legit!

Saw some discussion on this on previous pages and I’m curious to try one. How did you get Cobra to build it?

You guys are killing me. The F9's sound like the perfect irons for me. I picked up the F9 woods because I am so tired of mishits and low balls, and they are the best I have ever hit. If these irons are as good as the fairway woods, unreal.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

> @lang30 said:

> > @raheelc said:

> > > @Pack7483 said:

> > > > @raheelc said:

> > > > > @Pack7483 said:

> > > > > > @raheelc said:

> > > > > > Was thinking of picking up a set of the f9's to replace my Callaway Steelhead Xr's, and had a question. So the stock configuration of the irons has progressive shaft weights (80/90/wedge). If I was to choose another shaft that's given in the options when I choose to make a custom set, let's just say, hypothetically, the True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 in Steel/Regular flex. Will these shafts then also be progressively weighted, or will every single club have the same weight shaft, hence changing the swing weights of the clubs? Sorry if that's a dumb question, just trying to figure out the best set up to order!

> > > > >

> > > > > Only the One Lengths have progressively weighted shafts.

> > > >

> > > > Yes that's what I was referring to, I meant if I was to order the F9 one lengths, but was too choose a different shaft in the custom order option, would the shaft I chose also be progressively weighted, or are only the stock shafts for the F9 one lengths progressively weighted. Apologies if that wasn't clear in my initial post.

> > >

> > > I don't think it will make that much of a difference. There is only a gram or so of weight difference between the 80 and 90's. Both in stiff are right at 100 and 102 grams. Cobra told me the swing weights should feel the same if I ordered all the one lengths in the same shaft. I think it is more about launch than weight. The 80's must launch a little higher than the 90's.

> >

> > Cool, thanks for the clarification. I keep thinking whether I should go the fitting route, or just order a stock set up. I was fitted some years ago for Callaway X-hot irons, and everything was pretty much stock except the lie angle, which was 2 degrees up. My steelhead XR's are stock configuration.

>

> If you choose to order without getting fitted, just be aware the standard lie angle is 1 degree more upright in the Cobra F9 irons than both x-hot and xr irons.

Cool, thanks for the info. I'd really like to try these out first before committing, but being in NYC doesn't help much, since there's not many local golf stores to go and try them out at. :-(

> @HuskyFan said:

> > @Pack7483 said:

> > Love my one lengths! I switched the ones with the kbs tour 90 to kbs tour 105. Much better dispersion, and they fit better now distance wise with the wedges that have the 120s. I kept the kbs 80 in the one length 5 iron and it works amazing. I also just recieved my "Rickie Fowler" style VL 4i and it is a rocket! Love that club. Best driving iron /fairway wood replacement I have ever tried. The AD IZ 95 shaft is legit!

>

> Saw some discussion on this on previous pages and I’m curious to try one. How did you get Cobra to build it?

I just ordered a 4i stock and sent it to the peoples clubs. He had a 15% off deal on shafts during the masters so he did it to my specs. AD IZ stiff 95 at 39.5 inches and bent to 18.5*. Now Cobra is offering it if you call in. I got an email from them about it.