Solo Bandon Trip?

The Pearl

Made my first trip to bandon a few weeks ago, and solo. Being a single gave me so much flexibility in picking and choosing where I wanted to play, what and where I wanted to eat. I got 54 in on two days OM-PD-PD & BT-BD-OM with room to spare. Not to mention those late afternoons when I would throw a few balls down and dick around and chip for 15-20 minutes without a soul in sight. It’s a special place when it’s quiet, just you, the course, and whatever deep thoughts a revered sanctuary as such conjures up.

> @nolayup said:

> Made my first trip to bandon a few weeks ago, and solo. Being a single gave me so much flexibility in picking and choosing where I wanted to play, what and where I wanted to eat. I got 54 in on two days OM-PD-PD & BT-BD-OM with room to spare. Not to mention those late afternoons when I would throw a few balls down and **** around and chip for 15-20 minutes without a soul in sight. It’s a special place when it’s quiet, just you, the course, and whatever deep thoughts a revered sanctuary as such conjures up.

I had the exact experience at @nolayup had last week in Bandon. I saw groups of guys who looked like they were having fun with each other at the Punchbowl or the Reserve, and sometimes thought to myself that looks fun with a group. BUT, going solo provides some advantages such as what @nolayup said about the flexibility because you don't have to consider 2 or more people. You go on your own schedule, eat where you want to eat, play how you want to play. Also, it allows you to nerd out on the courses without any distractions. I was able to book the last tee time at Old Macdonald and I wasn't paired up with anyone. So there was nobody in front of me and back of me. I had the whole course to myself it seemed. The best sunset round I had in my life.

Do not procrastinate on going to Bandon because you're solo. I have no regrets going by myself.

^That's it. I don't think anyone is making any Johnny Nomates Support Club proclamation to eschew other humans. But if the choice is between going once every 5 years with your buddies or going every 2nd year on your own plus with your buddies; the latter is the way to go!

IIRC, I'm 3 solos and 5 with my mates (getting old, off the top of my head I cannot remember whether I've been 8 or 9 times) and yes you miss out on the high stake matches for lunch and breakfast and talking s h i t e over dinner, but for a 3/4 night stay it's no bother.

And over many years and many playing partners, only once been paired up with a truly massive richard, that me and the other single couldn't wait to get away from, otherwise everyone has been lovely.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Every time I click this thread I start planning my next trip. And then I pause because I really can't afford to make it an annual excursion. But on the other hand, can I afford NOT to make it an annual excursion? Plus, I think I'd be better off doing Scotland/St. Andrew's before returning to BD but should I? I don't know. Maybe I give it another year and plan to return when Sheep Ranch is open.

> @bird206 said:

> > @nolayup said:

> > Made my first trip to bandon a few weeks ago, and solo. Being a single gave me so much flexibility in picking and choosing where I wanted to play, what and where I wanted to eat. I got 54 in on two days OM-PD-PD & BT-BD-OM with room to spare. Not to mention those late afternoons when I would throw a few balls down and **** around and chip for 15-20 minutes without a soul in sight. It’s a special place when it’s quiet, just you, the course, and whatever deep thoughts a revered sanctuary as such conjures up.

>

> I had the exact experience at @nolayup had last week in Bandon. I saw groups of guys who looked like they were having fun with each other at the Punchbowl or the Reserve, and sometimes thought to myself that looks fun with a group. BUT, going solo provides some advantages such as what @nolayup said about the flexibility because you don't have to consider 2 or more people. You go on your own schedule, eat where you want to eat, play how you want to play. Also, it allows you to nerd out on the courses without any distractions. I was able to book the last tee time at Old Macdonald and I wasn't paired up with anyone. So there was nobody in front of me and back of me. I had the whole course to myself it seemed. The best sunset round I had in my life.

> Do not procrastinate on going to Bandon because you're solo. I have no regrets going by myself.

>

>

Just to add another one to this theme, I just got back from a solo trip to Bandon, and it was awesome. I was first out on Old Mac all by myself on Friday, didn't see another person besides my caddy for the first 12 holes. It was absolutely amazing. If you want to be social and meet other people, there are plenty of groups of guys there who are thrilled to add another to their party. Being a single makes it incredibly easy to move your tee times around as you see fit, and getting 54 holes in isn't a problem. Do it!

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

Just booked my second trip to Bandon and first solo trip for this August! I'm so pumped. Thanks to everyone in this thread for the "Just do it" speeches. Question for anyone who's flown into North Bend (since I flew into Portland last time): my plan was to bring clubs on the plane, but it sounds like some people have had tough experiences with this. Is it worth it to do Shipsticks or something like that instead? It's more $ obviously. Also: how should I get from the airport to the resort? Cab? Shuttle? And what should I expect cost-wise? Thanks!

I’d say ShipSticks. If you look around, they offer a lot of discounts. The best I found was a 50% off through the National Golf Foundation. The peace of mind that the clubs are there and having no worries of the plane being overweight. When we few into Northern bend in April, the tail wind was such that any extra weight would have made landing impossible.

> @MrMileHigh said:

> > @2putttom said:

> > shipsticks and you can arrange for a complementary shuttle pick up when you arrive.

>

> Is that a complimentary shuttle that the resort provides? We’ll be there again next year for our 3rd trip and I’m looking to fly into North Bend. I’m not doing the drive to/from Portland again.

>

It is neither complimentary nor resort provided. It is a private shuttle that you need to arrange in advance. Details and contacts are on the Bandon site on the Getting Here page.

Once onsite, there is a complimentary shuttle to move you around the resort. But not to/from the airport.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Ship sticks is starting to sound like pretty good move...especially if your clubs are fit for you (certain shafts/grips etc). One of the guys in the group im caddying for had his lost along the way (but the other guys on the same flight got theirs...wtf?) and had to play with a rental set the first 2 days of his trip. The rental sets here are all super nice clubs (way nicer than anything in my bag), and they’ll be able to put you into something comparable to your gamers, but it’d be nice to have your own for such a big trip.

• 2 weeks later...

> @CenCalGolfer said:

> I am starting to think that I might be in the same boat. I am trying my hardest to get a couple of my buddies to make this trip with me. I live in Central California. I send a couple of them videos, and pictures and tell them that we need to plan it. But I get a couple different responses. One wants to drop money to play Pebble, Spyglass and Spanish Bay and the other one doesn't really like to drive far for golf, had a sweet set up for Poppy Hills a few years back, and told him to meet me and I'd drive, and he said he would rather pass, and lay grass. SMH!

> Anyways, I've been buttering up my wife, and showing her videos and pictures and explaining her this golf/life altering trip and what this place is and what it means to me. So, she's becoming a fan and loves the idea of the ocean side golf. So we will see where it turns out in the coming year or two!

>

I’m also based out of central California and in the same boat. I’m planning on making my first trip up in 2020.

• 2 weeks later...

What's the strategy for a single in Oregon like me to get down there for a same day trip? It takes 4 hours for me to drive so I would leave at 3 or 4 am and play 2 18's the same day and drive back. Do I book tee times or show up? I've done two group trips but I want to do this solo trek during November or December. Thanks.

> @DustlnTheWind said:

> What's the strategy for a single in Oregon like me to get down there for a same day trip? It takes 4 hours for me to drive so I would leave at 3 or 4 am and play 2 18's the same day and drive back. Do I book tee times or show up? I've done two group trips but I want to do this solo trek during November or December. Thanks.

Feh. I've done the 3AM departure-36 holes-Drive back to PDX trip and it's no fun. So it's not a same-day trip from PDX. Even 18 holes is bordering on a death march. Way too much time driving. Book a cheap motel room in town* for the night before and drive down at your leisure. That time of year, it's difficult to get 36 in, anyways, unless you're one of the first groups out, and those tee times are usually booked out.

You can book a tee time (if you're less than 21 days out) or see what's available as a walk-on. I've never had a problem walking on, as long as I'm not picky about the course I'm playing (and I rarely am). 18 in the morning and as many holes as I can/want to play in the afternoon.

*Note: that time of year, a Golf Single at the lodge is only about $20 more than the cheapest rooms in town . Money well-spent, IMO.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

• 4 weeks later...

> @mallrat said:

> I've gone 2x as a single and love it. Been paired up with some great groups and some duds. Took a caddy and had Bandon Trails to the caddy and myself, no one in front of me for an hour and the group behind was a 4 some that imdidn't see after the 3rd hole.

>

>

>

> I love going by myself. Wife goes with me every other year.

what does the wife do while you golf? i dont have many friends that will commit to this trip so im toying with the idea of "solo" , and taking the wife but she doesnt golf and says she wouldnt mind staying back reading a book but i would plan on playing a lot of golf and would feel bad. what are some tips if the wife tags along and doesnt golf? have read that there are trails and such, even close towns.

> @beckjg135 said:

> > @mallrat said:

> > I've gone 2x as a single and love it. Been paired up with some great groups and some duds. Took a caddy and had Bandon Trails to the caddy and myself, no one in front of me for an hour and the group behind was a 4 some that imdidn't see after the 3rd hole.

> >

> >

> >

> > I love going by myself. Wife goes with me every other year.

>

> what does the wife do while you golf? i dont have many friends that will commit to this trip so im toying with the idea of "solo" , and taking the wife but she doesnt golf and says she wouldnt mind staying back reading a book but i would plan on playing a lot of golf and would feel bad. what are some tips if the wife tags along and doesnt golf? have read that there are trails and such, even close towns.

I did a trip similar to this. My wife hiked around the trails there. Some of them take you down on the beach which she enjoyed as well. We also went down into Bandon and walked around the town even though it's small. My wife definitely expressed that she wished that Bandon would upgrade their Spa for couples that make the trip like this but she understood that it's a golf resort. I would say as long as it's not a super long trip, there's enough to do.

> @schneidm10 said:

> > @beckjg135 said:

> > > @mallrat said:

> > > I've gone 2x as a single and love it. Been paired up with some great groups and some duds. Took a caddy and had Bandon Trails to the caddy and myself, no one in front of me for an hour and the group behind was a 4 some that imdidn't see after the 3rd hole.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > I love going by myself. Wife goes with me every other year.

> >

> > what does the wife do while you golf? i dont have many friends that will commit to this trip so im toying with the idea of "solo" , and taking the wife but she doesnt golf and says she wouldnt mind staying back reading a book but i would plan on playing a lot of golf and would feel bad. what are some tips if the wife tags along and doesnt golf? have read that there are trails and such, even close towns.

>

> I did a trip similar to this. My wife hiked around the trails there. Some of them take you down on the beach which she enjoyed as well. We also went down into Bandon and walked around the town even though it's small. My wife definitely expressed that she wished that Bandon would upgrade their Spa for couples that make the trip like this but she understood that it's a golf resort. I would say as long as it's not a super long trip, there's enough to do.

>

There have been a few times, where I thought I could use someone to work on my neck/back for 30mins on those days just cannot get loose, but I never really looked seriously at it. On first blush their 'spa' looks like what you'd expect at some Massage Envy in a strip mall beside Safeway; simple but servicable I guess?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

• 4 weeks later...

> @duffer987 said:

> > @schneidm10 said:

> > > @beckjg135 said:

> > > > @mallrat said:

> > > > I've gone 2x as a single and love it. Been paired up with some great groups and some duds. Took a caddy and had Bandon Trails to the caddy and myself, no one in front of me for an hour and the group behind was a 4 some that imdidn't see after the 3rd hole.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I love going by myself. Wife goes with me every other year.

> > >

> > > what does the wife do while you golf? i dont have many friends that will commit to this trip so im toying with the idea of "solo" , and taking the wife but she doesnt golf and says she wouldnt mind staying back reading a book but i would plan on playing a lot of golf and would feel bad. what are some tips if the wife tags along and doesnt golf? have read that there are trails and such, even close towns.

> >

> > I did a trip similar to this. My wife hiked around the trails there. Some of them take you down on the beach which she enjoyed as well. We also went down into Bandon and walked around the town even though it's small. My wife definitely expressed that she wished that Bandon would upgrade their Spa for couples that make the trip like this but she understood that it's a golf resort. I would say as long as it's not a super long trip, there's enough to do.

> >

>

> There have been a few times, where I thought I could use someone to work on my neck/back for 30mins on those days just cannot get loose, but I never really looked seriously at it. On first blush their 'spa' looks like what you'd expect at some Massage Envy in a strip mall beside Safeway; simple but servicable I guess?

I had a massage the afternoon that I was so sore and wiped out I could go another 18. It was very good. I’d say it’s more sports massage than some fancy posh spa, which I think is what you’d expect there. The manager was great asking questions when I called to line me up with a good therapist. She worked wonders on the hip and glute muscles that were crippling me.