2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

who has actually played with a legit scratch golfer/pro level player?

NM44

Enjoy this thread, and finally had my chance to play with a tour pro.

He is a tour pro at my home course - he plays on the Sunshine Tour & managed to get into some big European Tour events. Sponsored by Mizuno (and I love me some mizzys), so this was a good ice-breaker when we struck up a friendship about 6 months ago. He's currently off-form, so I have been seeing him a lot at the range. He invited me to 18 holes during the week, so he can test some swing changes etc. I get involved before he blinks and we set it up. SUPER NICE DUDE. A few things I noticed:

* Ridiculously SUPER long...and then some! He must have been averaging 340 yards or something. All par 5s are medium par 4s to him. He crushes everything - from the 2i to lob. Couldn't believe his club choices on par 3s.

* Putting - sweet stroke. I would say it was like 35% backswing, and longer follow-through (65%). 2 putts maximum

* Short game / wedges - He prefers to keep it low, with the 1 hop and check chip. I (used to) prefer the high pitch, but he's taught me the advantages of keeping it lower.

* Excellent course management. Rarely in trouble. But when he was, he was aggressive with the recovery.

* Fitness - he is in great shape. Manages his energy usage very well. He had a full gym session after the 18 holes!

Completely echo the point of "play with better players to get better". I asked soo much and learnt more from observation.

These guys are good!

two years ago i walked on the first tee with a guy trying getting ready for a Monday qualifier at a local tour event. He did not hit the ball further than I did, but I dont remember him missing a fairway, and only 1 or 2 greens and shot the easiest 67 I have ever seen. It was on the lakes course at this location. 7,400 yards.

https://redhawkgolfandresort.com/red-hawk-golf-and-resort-course-overview-the-areas-top-rated-golf-course-and-golf-clinics-in-reno-nevada/

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I played with two guys today who are trying to Monday qualify for a web.com event tomorrow. I don't think you could have more opposite golf games than they did. One was a young guy who hit the ball a mile with a pretty solid iron game and short game. The other was a guy in his mid 40's who was pretty short, but accurate, off the tee but had a really solid wedge and short iron game. One thing they both had in common is they new their iron distance incredibly well. I think the thing that impressed me the most was their approach shots were consistently within 5 yards distance wise from the flag. They were always on the right tier and almost never long of the flag. Just incredible distance control. I know where almost 100 percent of my time will be spent going forward as I instantly saw how good they are in that area.

The one thing that surprised me though was I didn't see much of a separation between my short game and theirs. Maybe because that's what I had to become really good at due to a bad shoulder injury when I was young in order to play college golf but I was thinking that there would be a grand canyon separation between their short game and mine.

Needless to say it was a very enjoyable afternoon and I learned a lot in a short afternoon.

In late 1980s early 90s I played with a number of lesser tour players. Distance was not the immense advantage they enjoy now. The big difference was the routine effort they put into every shot but especially putts. The greens on the courses we played made it pointless to expend time or effort on putts over 10 feet. Nonetheless they would go thru their routine then miss like the rest of us. Saw lots of 68s w/Birdies on par 5s but rarely to see significant number of birdies on par 3s or 4s not offset by a random bogey. Learned course condition was really key to consistent lower scoring

Several times and regularly. Best player at our course qualified for the publinx at Bandon Dunes a few years ago and is a scratch to + golfer. I've played in our interclub matches against the guy that just one the West Virginia Senior Open. If you want to play with better players, play events that they are going to be in. Casual golf isn't the best way to play with better golfers.

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Here are a couple guys at my club I play with. Very fun to watch. One was former all SEC and one played D2. You can learn a lot from them. One is built like DJ and hits it long, they other is built like Pavin and hits it that way. Fun to watch them go at it!

Tennessee Golf Association +5.2 5/15/2019 +5.2

Revision ScoresRecent ScoresH.I. HistC.H. CalcMy Card

Used T Date Score CR/Slope Diff.

* T 5/19 68 73.6/130 -4.9

H 5/19 70 73.6/130 -3.1

* H 4/19 68 74.4/134 -5.4

H 4/19 73 74.4/134 -1.2

H 4/19 74 74.4/134 -0.3

H 3/19 77 74.4/134 2.2

* H 3/19 70 74.4/134 -3.7

* H 1/19 67 74.4/134 -6.2

H 11/18 75 74.4/134 0.5

H 11/18 72 74.4/134 -2.0

* H 11/18 67 74.4/134 -6.2

* H 11/18 67 74.4/134 -6.2

H 10/18 71 74.4/134 -2.9

H 10/18 71 74.4/134 -2.9

* H 10/18 67 74.4/134 -6.2

H 8/18 71 74.4/134 -2.9

* H 8/18 69 74.4/134 -4.6

* H 7/18 69 74.4/134 -4.6

* H 7/18 67 74.4/134 -6.2

H 6/18 71 74.4/134 -2.9

T = Score Type (H - Home, A - Away, T - Tournament, P - Penalty,

C - Combined)

U - Used for USGA Handicap Index® Computation

Low H.I. = Lowest Handicap Index over the last 12 months.

Two Lowest Eligible Tournament Scores

T 5/19 68 73.6/130 -4.9

Number of Eligible Tournament Scores: 1

Tennessee Golf Association +4.4 5/15/2019 +4.4

Revision ScoresRecent ScoresH.I. HistC.H. CalcMy Card

* H 4/19 68 74.4/134 -5.4

H 4/19 73 74.4/134 -1.2

H 4/19 74 74.4/134 -0.3

* H 1/19 68 74.4/134 -5.4

* H 11/18 70 74.4/134 -3.7

* H 10/18 67 74.4/134 -6.2

* H 7/18 68 74.4/134 -5.4

H 7/18 70 72.3/131 -2.0

* H 6/18 69 74.4/134 -4.6

H 6/18 75 74.4/134 0.5

* H 5/18 71 74.4/134 -2.9

H 5/18 74 74.4/134 -0.3

H 5/18 72 74.4/134 -2.0

H 4/18 75 74.4/134 0.5

H 3/18 77 74.4/134 2.2

H 3/18 75 74.4/134 0.5

* H 1/18 70 74.4/134 -3.7

* H 12/17 69 74.4/134 -4.6

* H 11/17 69 74.4/134 -4.6

H 11/17 71 74.4/134 -2.9

My old boss was a scratch golfer. Played with him at his home course, and it was something to watch. For a guy who is in his late 50's and runs a full legal practice, it is hard to believe he still has that much game. He would have shot under par if not for a maintenance cart he clipped on a blind tee shot. He even got up and down for par out of a greenside bunker while on a court teleconference.

Plus, he plays an old set of Titliest ZM blades, and an early 2000s Cleveland launcher driver. Was still very long, with an effortless swing. Nice bonus, he is also a lefty.

• Like 1

Never played with one, but watched a relative's son that played in the Louisiana High School State tournament with Sam Burns (LSU/PGA golfer) ... impressive, obviously. Like other sports with future stars, Burns was just on another level skill-wise. Naturally he could bomb it off the tee, but the short game and approaches were dialed in so consistently.

I am lucky that both of my sons are both scratch/+ handicaps. They both played/play Div 1 college golf. They are both a joy to play with/watch. I am very lucky. My youngest son is a senior in college and he only keeps his tournaments (not casual or qualifying rounds) as a handicap and he a +5/+6. My older son is working now and is a scratch (0). He can keep up with younger brother at times but doesn't practice enough to keep up/consistantly go low. I am a 6/7 handicap and they needle me quite a bit since I did that to them as they were growing up (be careful what you sow) in a playful way. They motivate me to improve but its tough as you get older. They are so much better than me in all aspects (distance, short game, sand game, etc) that I am not in their league.

• Like 1

Keep hoping to be the person written about in here, but haven’t gone sub par in 2 months. Was down to a 1.7 now back up to a 2.9.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Best guy I’ve ever played a round with was Wyndham Clark at this year’s Byron Nelson pro-am...ive played with scratch and ex collegiates (and was awed) but he was simply an entirely different level. The sheer power and accuracy combined with touch was something to behold...and that’s from the 244th ranked player. I can only imagine what it’d be like playing with someone in the top 50.

• Like 1

Taylormade SIM MAX driver 10.5 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 3w 15 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 5w 18 Ventus R
Taylormade SIM MAX 4h 22 Ventus R
PXG 0211 5-LW
Taylormade Spider X Chalk
OUUL Gator cart bag

I have played golf with Hubert Green, Todd Hamilton, Sam Saunders, Nancy Lopez, Kathy Whitworth and Laura Baugh. I have also played golf with several guys who have legitimate plus handicap indexes who are just regular amateurs.

I can tell you for sure, they way the ball comes off their clubface...I only wish I could duplicate that. And wish I had their short game.

I have never been scratch but do have few rounds in the 60s and a couple of even par rounds. At my age, may never see those again but keep hoping.

• Like 1

I use to play rounds with my boss' daughters and their father. The father was close to a scratch golfer while the girls, as high schoolers, were +2. Both ended up playing college golf on scholarships while one ended up on the Symetra Tour and is trying to get on the LPGA.

I got pair up with a local high school player that was a sophomore and told me he was a +3. For a little Asian kid, he sure hit it a long way and shot a 71, the day we played.

> @rxk9fan said: We use to play a little "birdie game " from the tips at Loma Linda (now Eagle Creek) in Joplin. <

Are you still in the area?

Per the question: when I lived down in Florida I was around a lot of tour guys and mini tour players. The biggest thing that stuck out was putting and the ability to minimize bad and maximize good. One particular guy wasn't the best player, but he putted side saddle and seemed to make everything he looked at. It was ridiculous.

My brother in law and his group of friends are scratch players. It’s amazing watching them play. Silky smooth, effortless power, and consistent. No where near tour level. But it’s still fun to watch in person. Arrogant SOB’s to play with cause I can’t keep up from the back tees. But still very fun to play a round with them.

I've only played with 2 and both were singles that joined me later in the round. One guy asked if he could join and when I asked him how he was doing he told me he had 3 birdies in a row. He was playing from the tips when he joined me on a 500+ par five that he hit in two and two putted for his 4th in a row. The next hole was a par 3 about 170 yards and he missed a 10 footer for his 5th.

The other scratch player I played with was like a skinnier and shorter version of Rickie Fowler. He hit every single ball what for me personally would be a unplayable moonball that would cost me aton of distance and instantly scare me and played what looked like a big push with a 40 yard hook but hit every single fairway and outdrove me by 20-40 yards the whole round. In that one round I played with him he drove two par fours. He joined me on the first tee and said his personal best for the course was 65. He shot two over from the tips playing totally casually , while drinking four beers and keeping the chat really entertaining and lively. I never in person have seen somebody hit a chip so low and hot yet have it check up so quickly. It's something I couldn't recreate with even 1000 balls. Both guys were really friendly and had alot of course knowledge and knew exactly where to layup or aim off the tee. And I met both of them on a course that was once on the Nike Tour.

I'm a 2.3 so I've played and beat a few scratch golfers over my time.

That being said I played a round last weekend with a +3 and +2. That was cool to watch. The control they have with a golf ball is incredible. Its tournament and pressure tested and there just isnt a lot of weaknesses when you reach that caliber of play.

I genuinely feel the difference with say a 2 (me) and a +3 feels the same as the difference between a 15 and a 5. Its a huge skill gap. I couldnt imagine playing with a tour pro.

I didnt even feel like I was playing the same game they were. They were great guys and I shot a solid 77 and they both stumbled in around 69-70 or so.

Longer, straighter, better touch, closer wedges, tighter misses (Although the one guy was loose with his driver and lost two balls). Their mid irons are consistent, there are very few wasted shots (The +2 did have to punch out from a stymied tree lie once). Only neutralizing factor was the putter. I'm a really, really good putter haha.

Scratch is a rare breed indeed... I'm 57 years old and I have yet to play with anybody who is consistently at that level. On the other hand, I'm not seeking it out, either, I'm not near that level myself, and I generally play relatively inexpensive public courses. That said, I have played with plenty of amateur tourney players, and never have I seen anybody turn in a legitimately scratch scorecard. But that's just my experience. Anybody shooting less than 80 is a very, very good golfer, btw, statistically speaking.

• Like 1

I played in the mid am with a plus 3 and I beat him. He was great guy to be paired with and a talented player. I played with a kid that is on the Webb tour and use to play with a guy that was on the senior tour both way better than me I was a 2 or 4 handicap then. I mean every aspect of their game I was long because I played hockey 4 times a week. That’s it!! Compared to them.

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

I've played a few times with a PGA teaching pro who has made the cut at the PGA Championship multiple times and has won state opens. His ball flight is SO high and lands soft with long irons and woods. His dispersion is also so much lower with these clubs. He has missed shots like anyone, but that quality of strike with lower lofted clubs is a huge separator between pros and even top amateurs IMO.

When I was just starting to play, my friend invited me along to play with him. He was playing D1 for a lesser known (at the time) school. I bearly kept it on the fairway and shot a 110. I was continuously amazed at the shots he was hitting and how he could shape his shots, make fantastic recovery shots, spin the ball and read greens. The course was a former PGA stop in the 80s and was long, almost 7400 from the tips. He was really patient and gave me a few tips that I still remember and fall back on today when I struggle. When we finish up the round, I tally up both our scores and he shot a 67. I asked him if he wanted to know his score and he says, he didn’t need to know, he was just out having a fun round with a friend, for once. I didn’t realize at the time but my buddy was and still is the best ever golfer I’ve ever played with. Unfortunately, partying and lack of interest in the game got the better of him. He lost his scholarship due to some serious off course infractions and tried some mini tours but never was able to make it.

• 2 months later...

I was paired up with a 45-50 year old Mr. Scratch today.

We were playing my home course from the Men's tees at just under 6300 yards. That suited Mr. Scratch fine, as he was not a bomber and said as much. Anyway here is what I noticed:

1. Mr. Scratch is never going to put a tee shot out of play/beyond recoverable. He was 12/15 on fairways hit, and when he missed he always left himself a shot.

2. Mr. Scratch, with iron in hand inside 200, is going to have a putt for birdie. He was money with the approach clubs, knocking down pins.

2a. Mr. Scratch is going to make a lot of birdies: He made 5 of them today and had 2 others lip out.

3. If Mr. Scratch does miss a green, his wedges will go to 1-putt range automatically. As it happens, he also doesn't 3-putt

4. Mr. Scratch can have the occasional blow-up hole. Only he will somehow make a bogey anyway (prevents big numbers)

5. Mr. Scratch can still shoot a +1 73 on the day due to lack of local knowledge, wind, and some brutal bounces on our baked-out grass.

6. Mr. Scratch would never use those excuses and wasn't thrilled with that 73.

• Like 1

I've played with many really good golfers and big hitters. Having been a low cap for some time and comfortable with all sorts of people, I've been invited to play in celebrity fundraisers, pro-am events with some really nice people from all golf tours, Football/Superbowl stars, and Baseball stars, etc. Pretty fortunate to have had a few PGA players as neighbors and a relative that played on the PGA tour back during 50'-60's, too.

What I know there are a great many scratch and "+" golfers walking around that play better golf than many tour players. The difference between a successful tour player and those that don't make it comes down to who can maintain and score under the pressure of making cuts, media attention and tour demands.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I play with myself every time I golf.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Kai’li White 80X

ZX Utility 4 iron Steelfiber 110X

P7TW 5-PW DG Tour Issue X100