ddetts' Swing Journey - 2020 Goals & Updated Swing Progress pg. 17

ddetts

It hurts to even post these, but definitely some old, bad habits creeping back in. Probably explains why I played so poorly Wednesday. Backswing too long with arms disconnecting and not reconnecting. Hip stalling, and early dumping to make contact.

Here's a little wedge that actually was a nice shot

Things got worse from there. The face on was a shank even!

3w that wasn't a very pretty swing either

Sorry about the sound, it was quite windy into and right to left.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

My experience echoes yours. You think you've made a change and - whoops - the old habit slips back in. Especially as pressure ramps up. All I can figure is, keep at it. Overall, even after all the back sliding, my swing and game are improved, and more improvement will happen.

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> My experience echoes yours. You think you've made a change and - whoops - the old habit slips back in. Especially as pressure ramps up. All I can figure is, keep at it. Overall, even after all the back sliding, my swing and game are improved, and more improvement will happen.

Swing felt like garbage while on the range today, I'm tempted to go back this evening after doing some mirror work. Just such a stark contrast from how I was hitting the ball last week.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @wmblake2000 said:

> > My experience echoes yours. You think you've made a change and - whoops - the old habit slips back in. Especially as pressure ramps up. All I can figure is, keep at it. Overall, even after all the back sliding, my swing and game are improved, and more improvement will happen.

>

> Swing felt like garbage while on the range today, I'm tempted to go back this evening after doing some mirror work. Just such a stark contrast from how I was hitting the ball last week.

I have decided to just focus on the basics continuously. I have about 4 things I practice every time I go to the range, with mirror vision then video then just feel. I almost always start at half speed. It's the trend line that matters, but for sure some days are up and others are down. What is happening is, over time, I am building a more consistent swing. In other words, the fact that you hit it well last week and not so great this week is almost irrelevant. (Easy to say, doesn't mean it's fun!)

• Like 1

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I played today, and overall it was just a really inconsistent round. I started off terrible and through 4 holes I was +6 (dbl bogey, par, bogey triple). Including 2 topped irons, 1 of which went into the water and led to the triple. From there I proceeded to play the rest of the course in +5 with what felt like my 'C' game. Even though I hit it pretty poorly tee to green, the round easily could've been a 79 as I had 3 lip outs.

This time a year ago In would've been sort of happy with 82/+11 but now I'm not at all. I feel like my swing is a bit of a hot mess at the moment, but at the same time it feels like just a small improvement would have me shooting 76.

My ball striking overall was poor, off center contact, swinging too hard/quick from the top. I can handle misses left/right/long/short but at the level I can play topping an iron shouldn't even be a possibility.

I've really got to get some focused practice in as it's less than a month until the Mid-Am.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> It’s early and the weather has not been our friend!

The weather certainly hasn't been conducive to getting much practice in.

I know it's early but regression really sucks. I know it's inevitable when working on changes, but doesn't mean it's easy to accept.

Admittedly, the practice I have managed to get in at the range hasn't been the most effective or focused practice. I need to sit down and take a good, hard look at my practice and actually write down a plan to follow. No matter how many times I have a plan in my head for what feels & feels to work on, the routine, and not rapid fire balls it seems to disappear. I was doing better indoors this winter when I had limited space and time.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> Me thinks you’re just lacking some confidence at the moment.

Probably part of it. But doesn't change the fact that I've squandered practice time by not really focusing intently on the two big things I need to work on. And it's showing with old, bad habits creeping back in. I started hitting some shots right (pushes and push fades) as my miss this year, which never happened before because I pulled almost everything the last 4 years. So I think my brain is trying to take over and go back into its comfort zone.

It's all good, I've got my notebook out and am writing up some practice notes and plans to make sure I stick to that and practice effectively instead of just quantity (I'm bad about that).

Also, I ordered the Tour Striker Smart Ball which I'm hoping can help me with feeling connected and getting the right elbow forward. I seem to still struggle with feeling how to achieve this just by forcing it.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

My experience is, old habits are hard to get rid of. For example, I tend to suck the club inside. It took me forever to learn the feel of how not to do it. And if I don’t pay attention, don’t practice it, sure enough, I suck the club back inside.

I think the way to deal with this is I have 4 core feels that each address a major issue/fix. These are the meat and potatoes of my swing and the more I learn, the more committed I am to practicing these in slow motion, half swing, every time I practice. The challenge for me is I want to verify I can swing full speed and that ends up dominating practice, so the discipline and trust of drills is coming slowly but it’s coming. After reading your post, I am thinking I’ll set a timer for 30 minutes in practice and until it goes off, no full swings.

Also... mirror vision if you have the phone/tablet that works with it is great...

• Like 1

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

@wmblake2000 I don't have apple, so no mirror vision for me at the moment.

I need to spend more slow motion and slow swing work time. I'm the same, and just want to verify changes with full swings.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

@ddetts I also think a camera at the range is essential - I STILL can’t rely on feels to be valid. It helps a lot if your bag sits in a way that you can just stick your phone on it without the hassle of a setup stick or tripod or whatever.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> @ddetts I also think a camera at the range is essential - I STILL can’t rely on feels to be valid. It helps a lot if your bag sits in a way that you can just stick your phone on it without the hassle of a setup stick or tripod or whatever.

>

>

>

I've got the Selfie Golf setup and take video from time to time to check things. Live would obviously be better but video suffices.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Time for another installment of Derek's poor play...

I'll start with the end of this disaster. For our match play league last night, I finished at +10 (44 on par 34 nine) and got my @$$ handed to me taking a 2.5 to 7.5 point loss. I had a two way miss going, and in addition wasn't making great contact on a lot of my shots. I had a lot of penalty strokes or the equivalent of a penalty stroke.

* **Hole 1, par 4** - Hung drive out to the right a touch, for 2nd I had a shot to go over some trees (not an issue at their height) at 180yds which I thinned, hit off the tree ended of left of the fairway stymied up against a tree. Had to play shot 3 lefty, which I took a 7i and just tried to get it running toward the green about 75 yards away. Made solid contact, but hit the tree 30 yards ahead of me. Finished with a double.

* **Hole 2, par 4** - Driving iron off the tee, necked and pulled it left and it ran into a creek. Got it in for bogey

* **Hole 3, par 4** - Good 3i, pulled but decent 9i and two putts for par

* **Hole 4, par 3** - Back right tucked pin at 186, a touch into the wind & a creek left that wraps around part of the back of the green. Took 6i, setup up far left of the tee box and aimed away from the creek for the center of the green. Turned it over, and drew it into the creek. Double bogey to move to +5

* **Hole 5, par 4** - Wind left to right and a little help, dogleg right with trouble right. Aim driver down left edge of fairway to play a fade but fade too much, which the cross wind turns into a slice. Unplayable , where I have to drop is on a slope that puts the ball about 2 feet above my feet. Hit a terrible shot and conceded the hole as my opponent was in the middle of the fairway. Double bogey (worst I can take with handicap ESC) and move to +7

* **Hole 6, par 3** - Into the wind, 145 and pin is middle right of two tier green. Take dead aim with an 8i to play a 3/4 flighted shot. Turn it over hard and draw it about 15 yards left into the top tier. 3 putts to get down and now +8

* **Hole 7, par 5** - Pulled driver, but not trouble. Laying up with 6 iron from the rough over some trees, top it... confidence is non-existent at this point and the same trees basically take away any real option to go at the green from 180 so another layup attempt with PW. Probably the 2nd best swing I had all night and it went too far and was a couple feet short of going in a creek fronting the green. Pitch and two putts later to move to +9

* **Hole 8, short par 4** - Driving iron pulled left into the rough on a steep slope. 58* with ball well below my feet. Struck well, just carries two yards short and kicks hard of the slope leaving me about 40feet downhill. 2 putt for par

* **Hole 9, par 3** - 155 into a breeze, 7i flushed to about 170 which left me a putt through a large swale in the middle of the green which I of course 3 putt to finish off the night and end at +10

Wow, it hurts to type that and play about 3x higher than my handicap. About the only positive I can take away is that I stayed engaged and was still grinding every shot, but the swing was just all over the place. My putting was pretty solid actually, other than the two 3-putts which were REALLY hard first putts. Greens still haven't filled in great since they were punched and top dressed, so speed was slow and not consistent throughtout.

Really disappointed in my ball striking, considering I had two really good range sessions in the days leading up to league. I had found some really good feelings, hitting good start lines and shaping the ball nicely. It was like the train wreck on the first hole just put my brain into panic mode and caused me to revert to bad habits again. I feel like I still have some mis-match going on between my grip and impact/release as most of the time I am either pushing/push fading a slightly weaker ball or hitting a draw that starts on the target (not right of it) and draws too far away from it. I'm feeling like at this point it's a clubface control problem and not a club path problem (at least not in most instances, I still hit the occasional pull from path).

TLDR; I sucked at golf yesterday and I'm still frustrated about it.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

man do I know that feeling. Just went through this sort of a thing, just hoping its past me. Texted my buddy about it yesterday and just told him I am getting back to the basics. Played my go to confidence shot on every iron instead of playing a multitude of shapes. Shot my best round at that course. I will also say that we finally had a good day of weather and the course was in great shape. Weather really makes me cranky and that trickles into my golf mentality. Hang in there, you will snap out of it. Maybe take a day off and don't think about the game.

• Like 1

> @"rich s" said:

> man do I know that feeling. Just went through this sort of a thing, just hoping its past me. Texted my buddy about it yesterday and just told him I am getting back to the basics. Played my go to confidence shot on every iron instead of playing a multitude of shapes. Shot my best round at that course. I will also say that we finally had a good day of weather and the course was in great shape. Weather really makes me cranky and that trickles into my golf mentality. Hang in there, you will snap out of it. Maybe take a day off and don't think about the game.

Our 2 week weather forecast looks terrible, rain pretty much every single day so I may be taking a forced break from practice and playing.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

For those following along, I made some nice progress in the last 5 days. Weather has been mostly horrible, so practice and play has been limited. I played 9 holes in cool temp and tough wind last Friday before heavy rain hit. I would've probably finished the round, but my relatives in town were more fair weather golfers. I shot a 39 (par 34) that included two birdies, 3 pars, 2 bogeys, a double & a triple. Playing in a tough wind helped me find a couple of really good feelings in my swing, that carried over into last night for match play league.

Round recap - 5/22/19, low 50s temp and wind around 20-25 mph most of the round.

**Positives:** Ball striking was mostly solid, especially the iron play and given the wind. I was swinging shorter and within myself. I hit some nice flighted shots in the wind. I had 3 birdie putts inside 10 feet

I played 8 good holes, in +3 and if my short game had showed up at all that should've been +1 or even.

**Negatives:** Mistakes were mostly short game - a three putt on a par 3 after hitting to the wrong side of the green (hung the shot out a touch and the wind moved it 15 yards right) and having to putt through a deep valley, and a couple poor chips that left me longer putts than I should've had to get up and down. Also, not converting any of my short birdie putts hurt, moreso since they were all left short! Big mistake was hole 14 where I took the quad (detailed below).

Hole 14 (par 5 ~ 500 yards) - tees were moved up a little due to aeration & sanding of the box we normally hit from. Hole was playing mostly into the wind and a little across and has a creek that splits the fairway around 260 yards. I knew it would play as a 3 shot hole with wind and soft conditions, so I took my UDI driving iron out and planned to just play up the right (makes the hole longer) because there's heavy tree trouble missing left. Smother hooked the driving iron left into tree trouble. My two options were 1) hit a punch left up the opposite hole's fairway or 2) try to hit a really high ball right & over a tree and carry 130-140 yards. I initially setup for the punch out left but there was a large mound & hanging branches that really left me with a window of about 4 feet of height to hit it through. I got uncomfortable with selecting the right club and the controlling the trajectory that precise. In addition, the same creek meanders through opposite hole, and if I hit it more than ~100 yards I run out into the creek on my punch out. So I took the high route, got quick and hit the tree. Now I'm in a worse position and rattled. Now my punch left is a little easier and I take my medicine but clip a branch and it doesn't go very far and I still cannot advance my ball to the green. Hit a decent 4th, back to the correct fairway and have ~130 yards in hitting 5. Thin it right and a touch long. Thin my chip across the green, miss that putt and tap in for 9. OUCH! I compounded the mistake off the tee, and then let being rattled shake up my short game. I should've been able to hit a wedge to the center of the green for my 5th stroke and two putter for a double. Just a disaster hole.

**What do you think I could've or should've done differently?**

Overall, I'm feeling pretty good with the last two rounds and have a little more confidence going into the state Mid-Am in just over a week away. I'd of course like to have had more practice, but can't control mother nature. I feel like just making sure I eliminate the compounded mistakes I'll be in a good place. Turning those doubles or worse into just bogeys makes those rounds better, and those birdie putts will start dropping soon!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Im with you man, getting rid of the double + is key. Honestly I think you just need a good break, like making a long birdie putt. You will get on a roll just in time for the Mid-Am. Weather has been crap, course conditions suck, its been windy. Got to give ourselves a bit of a break. Golf is always a few step forward and then one back. In a few weeks you will be wondering how you ever shot over 80

• Like 1

DD - I'm thinking, unless you have absolutely no confidence in the driver, that playing UDI off that par 5 was a mistake. Here's my thinking, if it's a 3 shotter hitting driver and potentially hitting driver into trouble at least allows you to be closer to the hole. If you need to punch out, by hitting driver, you shouldn't need to cover as much ground to hit a decent recovery shot. By hitting UDI off the tee + hitting it into trouble you've now achieved being both short and crooked. In my opinion being long and crooked is the way to go.

You said the creek was 260 out - that might have taken driver out of your hands on that tee shot. It's not clear to me from your post that driver was taken out of your hands so maybe you can clarify.

• Like 1

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

If we were playing from our normal tee box (blue arrow for league, or gold arrow when I play outside of league) driver would've been the play, with the wind and softness there's not way it would've gotten to the creek. but where we were playing (front of the forward tee) you can see the measured distance was ~245 yards to creek at it's shortest and probably 255-260 at the longest up the left/over the left tree line. There's no way I could've carried the longer part if I miss left and even carrying 245 into 20 mph headwind wasn't likely. 235 probably gets to the end of the fairway. The 2i also was chosen to try to keep the shot down out of the wind after watching my parter leak his drive far right into the creek (barely visible in my snipped image, but it follows up the entire right side of the hole before coming into view by the bridge).

Red circle is essentially the area I was in after my smother hook tee shot, gold star is where I first wanted to punch out to (fairway of the next hole) but the mound on the backside of that bunker is tall, and the window for that punch out was very small. Also the thought of running it through and into the creek was in my mind as well. As you can see though, that spot leaves a pretty good look into the green from probably ~200ish yards and affords the chance to still be on in regulation. Purple star is where I was attempting to hit the high shot over the tree. The only risk to that shot is a) getting over the tree and b) ensuring I can hit enough club to carry the creek otherwise it's wide open in that landing area.

g9qe3mo0shx3.jpg

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

LOL, but I know it isn't all that funny at the moment, cruised in league last week with a smooth 2 over for 9, the other night had just gotten a birdie after 6 holes to get it back to 2 over, pulled the crap out of a drive I was already aiming 40 yards right into the other fairway to avoid OB and hit it OB. Just idiotic! Managed the next drive way right, but not far enough right, tried a hero shot over the trees, nope, tried a little low pitch out under the tree, nope, and by the time I was done fooling around had a nice 9. It's early in the year, it was darn cold, all sorts of excuses, but I'm just not that consistent and my mentals get the better of me as well sometimes. Some nights I think I'm "getting things", some I just have no feel, but darn it, I'm not Tiger!

It will come, and the Mid Am should be fun and a learning experience and I'm sure it will be! Embrace it, as I know you will and good luck!

• Like 1

> @ddetts said:

> If we were playing from our normal tee box (blue arrow for league, or gold arrow when I play outside of league) driver would've been the play, with the wind and softness there's not way it would've gotten to the creek. but where we were playing (front of the forward tee) you can see the measured distance was ~245 yards to creek at it's shortest and probably 255-260 at the longest up the left/over the left tree line. There's no way I could've carried the longer part if I miss left and even carrying 245 into 20 mph headwind wasn't likely. 235 probably gets to the end of the fairway. The 2i also was chosen to try to keep the shot down out of the wind after watching my parter leak his drive far right into the creek (barely visible in my snipped image, but it follows up the entire right side of the hole before coming into view by the bridge).

>

> Red circle is essentially the area I was in after my smother hook tee shot, gold star is where I first wanted to punch out to (fairway of the next hole) but the mound on the backside of that bunker is tall, and the window for that punch out was very small. Also the thought of running it through and into the creek was in my mind as well. As you can see though, that spot leaves a pretty good look into the green from probably ~200ish yards and affords the chance to still be on in regulation. Purple star is where I was attempting to hit the high shot over the tree. The only risk to that shot is a) getting over the tree and b) ensuring I can hit enough club to carry the creek otherwise it's wide open in that landing area.

>

> g9qe3mo0shx3.jpg

>

oh my, we have the same hole at my home course lol. Stupid layout

Rich, that's funny it's also your 14th hole! Do you know who designed the course? From the back tee, it's driver all day long for almost everyone on ours, unless you're really long.

The approach from the end of the fairway short of the creek is 250ish.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @"rich s" said:

> the greens are identical and even the greenside bunker looks close. Course is called Mascoutin. Same guy designed another local course called Chaska. Not sure who it was though. This was from the blue tees, its driver from the tips unless you are long.

Joel Goldstrand designed my course (Willow Run Golf Course), there have been some changes since but this hole is mostly untouched from original design.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> LOL, but I know it isn't all that funny at the moment, cruised in league last week with a smooth 2 over for 9, the other night had just gotten a birdie after 6 holes to get it back to 2 over, pulled the crap out of a drive I was already aiming 40 yards right into the other fairway to avoid OB and hit it OB. Just idiotic! Managed the next drive way right, but not far enough right, tried a hero shot over the trees, nope, tried a little low pitch out under the tree, nope, and by the time I was done fooling around had a nice 9. It's early in the year, it was darn cold, all sorts of excuses, but I'm just not that consistent and my mentals get the better of me as well sometimes. Some nights I think I'm "getting things", some I just have no feel, but darn it, I'm not Tiger!

>

> It will come, and the Mid Am should be fun and a learning experience and I'm sure it will be! Embrace it, as I know you will and good luck!

Sometimes, all you can do when it's all said and done is laugh at how bad it was. I really felt like I was going with the right strategy going with driving iron. Oh well, back to the drawing board!

That +2 sounds like a nice round, hopefully you'll have more of that!

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

@ebrasmus21 - does the layout of the hole make sense with my thinking? Driver, and possibly a really well stuck 3w brings the creek into play. I'll hit driver every time from gold tees and blue tees I'll hit 3w if I need to dial back.

Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> @ebrasmus21 - does the layout of the hole make sense with my thinking? Driver, and possibly a really well stuck 3w brings the creek into play. I'll hit driver every time from gold tees and blue tees I'll hit 3w if I need to dial back.

Put your big boy pants on and fly the creek like it isn’t there.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black