2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

My experience gaming clubs that were designed for my handicap range

MtlJeff

> @MelloYello said:

> > @cliffhanger said:

> >

> > If something annoys you that much (and it certainly appears that it does), why don't you choose to avoid it and post elsewhere? I think your anger is getting the best of you... and your wrong in assuming with most of what you said. Sorry if thats offensive sir.

>

> Why should I be worried about pulling punches? This is an online forum. Even if we try and keep things polite, it certainly doesn't seem wise to assume that everyone is rationale and therefore deserves to have their views honored.

>

> Only on WRX can a mid- or high-handicap make a case for using blades. We should never recommend that sort of fitting but for some reason it gains traction on WRX.

>

> If some guy that swung his driver at 85-mph came in talking about how he bought a $400 shaft on Ebay that was some heavy, X-flex, tip-stiff, ultra low-spin thing, we wouldn't take that seriously. We would recognize that guy as a wannabe. Some guys will spend $400 to have Tiger's shaft even when it doesn't fit them at all. Fine...but the moment that person wants to get online and start lying about how it's a good fit for him? Okay, that's delusional nonsense.

>

> People would explain to that guy how that shaft isn't optimizing his launch conditions and how in the long run, whatever he feels like he's gaining is ultimately not a good trade and that's it's better to get properly fit to something more appropriate so he can hit the ball higher, further and straighter.

>

> People are receptive to this kind of info when it comes to expensive driver shafts, fairway woods, hybrids and wedges because they want to get it right. But for some reason people don't seem to have the same desire to get the irons right. They are biased towards wanting blades and it leads to an onslaught on WRX where tons of mid- and high-handicap golfers are slapping it around with blades talking about how great they feel and they're great tools for improving your game.

>

> Maybe if these guys actually bought these irons new for $1,200 they wouldn't be so quick to buy something that didn't fit them. It's way easier to throw down $300 on Ebay for a cheap set of blades and think nothing of it.

>

> What I see are a bunch of guys who like them because they're shiny and pretty and on the 1 shot in 10 where they actually find the certain of the face, they get a rush like they're a real shot-maker.

>

> I just think living in fantasy-land is kind of pointless when a person could actually approach the game looking to optimizing his scores and gain some real confidence by going with reasonable equipment and a nice practice schedule.

>

> For 99% of amateur players out there, blades are a phase.

>

> The fact people here put so much emphasis on equipment is really kind of sad I think. This year I simplified my bag, went with CBs and tried to stop worrying about equipment.

>

> I'm playing the best and most consistent golf of my life. Compared to a lot of people who are out there breaking par I still suck but I wouldn't trade shooting solid scores for the experience of using blades.

>

> Been there. Done that. Ain't worth going back.

Why do you think a particular iron type is the sole reason someone is a mid to high handicap?

Does a swing flaw or type of iron determine the miss?

• Like 1

> @dpb5031 said:

> @MelloYello , what's your HC again?

Right now I'm sitting at an 8 and I'll be honest, I feel like I'm just above being a hack.

I had a rough start to the season with several rounds that included some truly awful putting (_41 putts!_) so in January when I started keeping track I was up at like a 15. Over the last couple months I've ironed some of that out. Driving is reasonably good. It has potential. Putting is improved but still not where it needs to be for me to consider myself a "good" golfer. I'm hitting 60% of my fairways and 50% of my GIR on a relatively tough course (137 slope). I'm still giving away a stroke or two per round on relatively short putts that (in all fairness) have no business missing.

So as putting continues to improve and I settle into my driver swing which just keeps getting better I hope to bring my handicap down to about 5 by end-of-year. Right now I'm starting to shoot respectable numbers on the regular which should definitely do that. Last few rounds have been 77, 78, 80 and 81 so that's definitely getting there.

Like I said, I just need to clean up the putting and make sure to avoid the random double that is sneaking its way in. There's still one hole per round where I pull the wrong club on an approach just being dumb as I try to force something. That 80 above included a quad for instance. That just doesn't need to be there, you know? Fairway metal tee shot went OB fast, I tried to bite off about 200 with my 2nd to get most of the way there and found a bush. Had to punch out and then chip on. From there it was just a total disaster.

> @dpb5031 said:

> Your signature indicates Titleist 716 CBs in 3-PW.

That's accurate.

> @dpb5031 said:

> Maybe dump the 3 & 4 irons for some GI hybrids? Consistent with your posturing, most recreational players have no business carrying a 3 iron...and the 716 CBs are not far off from most MB blades, certainly not much GI built into them...lol! Please explain

Oh, God. That's terrible inference. I know you're joking but that's just stupid. I haven't said anything like that. I don't push anyone towards GI stuff in general. Remember, there are SGI, GI and Player's clubs. I put blades at the extreme end as a 4th type really.

I don't push anyone away from Player's clubs though. In my experience that's where about 90% of serious recreational players ought to be. GI irons are actively trying to correct for some bad flaw and blades assume a perfect strike. Player's clubs are just a perfect middle ground. They reward good strikes but offer some help without assuming you're a hack.

So IMHO, there's just no reason to go GI unless you need legit help getting the ball airborne. Nobody with a reasonably-refined swing needs to go to that extreme. YMMV.

And besides, I'm not putting another club in the bag that I have to practice with, particularly one with a graphite shaft. I had 3-iron once yesterday from about 210 and hit center green with it. I had another on a super long Par-3 where I honestly probably needed an extra half-club, haha. I was stuck between 3i and 4w. I caught it slightly high on the face and had to chip from just short of the green but TBH, if that's the miss I'm happy (_a blade likely would've been wet!_). I'll take those all day long. There's no reason to believe I'm not fit with shots like those. Both were dead on line. I had a few 4-iron's last weekend at a different course and got similar results. I had no problem striping it on the 2-3 times I pulled it.

So don't get me wrong, I certainly don't _want_ to be hitting a 3- or 4-iron into any green but with the CB I know I can. Last year I had the 716 MB and those did me absolutely no favors. Anything less than perfect contact was bad.

But hybrids? They're a different animal entirely. I don't think they lend themselves to greater accuracy unless the person struggles getting the ball in the air to begin with (which I don't).

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @Golf4lifer said:

>

> Why do you think a particular iron type is the sole reason someone is a mid to high handicap?

>

> Does a swing flaw or type of iron determine the miss?

Iron selection doesn't drive handicap. That's dumb.

If we could all buy blades and become scratch we would. If buying a GI iron made you a 25-handicap hardly anyone would see that as an improvement.

But handicap can certainly tell you a lot about someone because there's so much overlap amongst the various things in golf: driving, long iron play, short iron play, wedge game, short game, putting, etc.

Your performance in each of those areas isn't random. It's a direct function of the fundamentals contained within your swing. It's a function of how much you've learned (and have implemented) into how you swing the golf club.

If someone is a mid-handicap wedge player, they're very likely to be a mid-handicap with their short-irons as well and probably decent with the long irons, too. People act like someone can be expert-level with a 6-iron and a complete hack with a SW.

Golf doesn't work like that.

Based on the players I've witnessed over the years, golfers of similar handicap (and physical ability) just don't vary all that much in what they ought to be playing.

Some golfers are a bit better off the tee than others. Some are slightly better in the short game. Everyone's game has a "personality" but in general they're all the same species.

Fred is Fred. Tom is Tom. But they're both mid-handicaps. They're both in good health and have reasonably-decent swings and thus are both fit to, let's say, AP2 irons for instance.

It's not like Fred is going to be fit to blades while Tom is fit to Burners when they're so darn similar.

Tom hits it high. Fred hits it a little longer. But in general, neither one needs either a blade nor a GI club. Both are properly fit to some reasonable, player's CB.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

@MelloYello you’re not stupid at all, as someone suggested, in fact I agree with a great many of your points. The better one gets at this game, the more he or she is shaped by his or her own experience. When one breaks through a significant score barrier, be it 100, 90, 80, 70 or whatever, the accomplishment brings with it a heightened sense of understanding. When one breaks through the next barrier I think it’s common to look back at one’s knowledge/understanding 10 shots ago and chuckle at the naivety that was masquerading as understanding. My point is that while you did the blade thing (as so many others, including myself, have) and decided they didn’t help you play or score any better it is shortsighted to assume the experiment plays out exactly the same for everyone. Maybe people deluded themselves on wrx justifying their blade choice but maybe it really is the better choice for some. You indicate you’re a players CB guy and advocate for people playing similar clubs. Who knows though? Maybe when you’re consistently in the low 70s you’ll be urging people to play even more forgiving clubs, maybe you’ll be back on blades. Your experiences color your opinions, but it doesn’t make them fact.

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

> @MelloYello said:

> > @Golf4lifer said:

> >

> > Why do you think a particular iron type is the sole reason someone is a mid to high handicap?

> >

> > Does a swing flaw or type of iron determine the miss?

>

> Iron selection doesn't drive handicap. That's dumb.

>

> If we could all buy blades and become scratch we would. If buying a GI iron made you a 25-handicap hardly anyone would see that as an improvement.

>

> But handicap can certainly tell you a lot about someone because there's so much overlap amongst the various things in golf: driving, long iron play, short iron play, wedge game, short game, putting, etc.

>

> Your performance in each of those areas isn't random. It's a direct function of the fundamentals contained within your swing. It's a function of how much you've learned (and have implemented) into how you swing the golf club.

>

> If someone is a mid-handicap wedge player, they're very likely to be a mid-handicap with their short-irons as well and probably decent with the long irons, too. People act like someone can be expert-level with a 6-iron and a complete hack with a SW.

>

> Golf doesn't work like that.

>

> Based on the players I've witnessed over the years, golfers of similar handicap (and physical ability) just don't vary all that much in what they ought to be playing.

>

> Some golfers are a bit better off the tee than others. Some are slightly better in the short game. Everyone's game has a "personality" but in general they're all the same species.

>

> Fred is Fred. Tom is Tom. But they're both mid-handicaps. They're both in good health and have reasonably-decent swings and thus are both fit to, let's say, AP2 irons for instance.

>

> It's not like Fred is going to be fit to blades while Tom is fit to Burners when they're so darn similar.

>

> Tom hits it high. Fred hits it a little longer. But in general, neither one needs either a blade nor a GI club. Both are properly fit to some reasonable, player's CB.

My last question for you. How bad was your experience with blades?

> @Golf4lifer said:

>

> My last question for you. How bad was your experience with blades?

How bad?

Well, it wasn't "bad" per se, but they were noticeably above _my_ pay grade. I'm sure I missed GIR that I didn't need to and made the game harder than it needed to be having long irons that wanted to stay low and short irons that would more rapidly lose distance versus the alternatives.

And why did I do that?

I did it because I was drawn to blades for a bunch of silly aesthetic reasons.

I used them on and off for a decade. I started playing about 10 years ago with TW Blades and tried out ZM's, 690's, 681's, MP-37s and the 716 MBs at various stages along with MP-64, MP-53, AP2 and VR Split Cavs.

To me, the blades just made the game hard with no obvious scoring benefit. I don't think they really opened the door to any shots you couldn't otherwise hit with a similar CB but they certainly demanded I strike the ball near-perfect to get the exact distance, trajectory and shape I was going for.

I don't see any reason to play golf if you're not trying to shoot the best score. If hitting a blade flush is the biggest rush you get in your life, that's kind of sad. It's good, but it ain't _that_ good.

But even as inspiration in golf goes, I'm much more energized by a big putt or a bombed drive because of the value of those.

Even the slickest, most perfectly-shaped mid-iron is still probably only going to result in a par.

Pulling off the solid 7-iron I intended just isn't that rewarding, I'm sorry. Anything hit to 15-ft feels great but anything stuck close is pretty much pure luck.

To me, the guy playing blades is supposed to be in control of everything. He's the golfer for whom sticking it shockingly close a few times isn't just luck.

A 10- or 20-handicap ain't doing that.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @toc said:

> @MelloYello you’re not stupid at all, as someone suggested, in fact I agree with a great many of your points. The better one gets at this game, the more he or she is shaped by his or her own experience. When one breaks through a significant score barrier, be it 100, 90, 80, 70 or whatever, the accomplishment brings with it a heightened sense of understanding. When one breaks through the next barrier I think it’s common to look back at one’s knowledge/understanding 10 shots ago and chuckle at the naivety that was masquerading as understanding. My point is that while you did the blade thing (as so many others, including myself, have) and decided they didn’t help you play or score any better it is shortsighted to assume the experiment plays out exactly the same for everyone. Maybe people deluded themselves on wrx justifying their blade choice but maybe it really is the better choice for some. **You indicate you’re a players CB guy and advocate for people playing similar clubs**. Who knows though? Maybe when you’re consistently in the low 70s you’ll be urging people to play even more forgiving clubs, maybe you’ll be back on blades. Your experiences color your opinions, but it doesn’t make them fact.

Perhaps you've retained more of Mello's postings in this thread than I have but I don't see Mello as advocating for any specific club type.

His (and my) main POV is for high, and even mid, handicappers and rank beginners, to stop exaggerating(?) how well, and how much "better" they hit their blades and totally dismissing the potential advantages of more forgiving irons. They love their blades ? No problem.

We have a 27 handicapper posting a pattern of 10 iron shots, with blades of course, that, excepting distance, ANY 5 handicapper would be very pleased with. OTOH, we only saw ball speed and not swing speed, but no matter.

I personally have never seen this particular unicorn. I have seen a few guys that had terrible swings but could get it up and down from anywhere. This I attribute to the short game being much easier to practice and become fairly proficient at than the full swing. I'd asked this guy, if he loves golf so much, why he didn't take lessons ($ was NOT an issue). He simply didn't want to - wasn't that important to him. Oh well.

I've seen a decent ball striker (about a 9 or so) who was a terrific chipper of the ball,,,,,,,,,, but put a putter in his hands and there was no telling what would happen.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

> @MelloYello said:

> > @Golf4lifer said:

> >

> > My last question for you. How bad was your experience with blades?

>

> How bad?

>

> Well, it wasn't "bad" per se, but they were noticeably above _my_ pay grade. I'm sure I missed GIR that I didn't need to and made the game harder than it needed to be having long irons that wanted to stay low and short irons that would more rapidly lose distance versus the alternatives.

>

> And why did I do that?

>

> I did it because I was drawn to blades for a bunch of silly aesthetic reasons.

>

> I used them on and off for a decade. I started playing about 10 years ago with TW Blades and tried out ZM's, 690's, 681's, MP-37s and the 716 MBs at various stages along with MP-64, MP-53, AP2 and VR Split Cavs.

>

> To me, the blades just made the game hard with no obvious scoring benefit. I don't think they really opened the door to any shots you couldn't otherwise hit with a similar CB but they certainly demanded I strike the ball near-perfect to get the exact distance, trajectory and shape I was going for.

>

> I don't see any reason to play golf if you're not trying to shoot the best score. If hitting a blade flush is the biggest rush you get in your life, that's kind of sad. But even in golf, I'm much more energized by a big putt or a bombed drive because of the value of those.

>

> Even the slickest, most perfectly-shaped mid-iron is still probably only going to result in a par.

>

> Pulling off the solid 7-iron I intended just isn't that rewarding, I'm sorry. Anything hit to 15-ft feels great but anything stuck close is pretty much pure luck.

>

> To me, the guy playing blades is supposed to be in control of everything. He's the golfer for whom sticking it shockingly close a few times isn't just luck.

>

> A 10- or 20-handicap ain't doing that.

And here is the issue: Not every golfer is playing golf to get the best possible score and that is ok. Its game and some people just like to play for the social interaction. I play for both the enjoyment of the game and to get the best possible score, but its not the end of the world if I don't play my best. I can shoot a 80 with blades or CB's, my typical miss is fat with my irons and no iron is gonna save that shot. I do however have a great short game which saves me. I have got down to a 7 with this miss, and when I do hit it fat, I just go play my next shot.

We should not judge a player based on club they decide to use until we know their game. Our preconceived notions may hold true for some, but its not 100% true. There are very few things in golf that are that black and white. Do you stick it shockling close with your CB's? Would you take an approach shot that is 15 feet from the hole? 20 feet?

Many have said this, but golf is playing your miss, not of perfection. No handicap is in control of everything all the time.

> @Golf4lifer said:

> And here is the issue: Not every golfer is playing golf to get the best possible score and that is ok. Its game and some people just like to play for the social interaction.

We're not talking about a guy who has a 15-year old driver in the bag and a 6-pack of Natty Light in the cooler. We're talking about WRX'ers. The guy who is so into golf he has a WRX account and who is so equipment-obsessed he posts about his blades.

That's who we're talking about.

> @Golf4lifer said:

> I play for both the enjoyment of the game and to get the best possible score, but its not the end of the world if I don't play my best.

You do try your best though. You may not be giving your _everything_ to the game due to work, family, etc. but you're trying to hit that 7-iron as best you can when you use it.

> @Golf4lifer said:

> We should not judge a player based on club they decide to use until we know their game. Our preconceived notions may hold true for some, but its not 100% true. There are very few things in golf that are that black and white.

We should judge everyone (who participates in these discussions) and assume they're normal until shown otherwise.

> @Golf4lifer said:

> Do you stick it shockling close with your CB's? Would you take an approach shot that is 15 feet from the hole? 20 feet?

That's my point!!!

Nobody who's at my level (8) or worse is sticking it close based on pure skill. Blades are for the guys who can actually do that. If/when I stick it inside 10-ft, that's pure luck.

For me, I'm just happy to have a 15-ft look at birdie after an 8-iron. I'll take that all day long. For me, that's a great shot. Anything better is a fortunate break.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @Golf4lifer said:

> >

> > My last question for you. How bad was your experience with blades?

>

> To me, the guy playing blades is supposed to be in control of everything. He's the golfer for whom sticking it shockingly close a few times isn't just luck.

>

> A 10- or 20-handicap ain't doing that.

I really don't object to this sentiment. Blades add a layer of complexity to golf. The big difference between a PCB and a blade is spin. More of it, so lie and wind matter a lot more. Face to path and angle of attack do too. An 8 playing CB's needs to adjust hand behavior (neutralize it), that may take a couple of months but it takes much longer to address the spin implications in play. Longer still is to be at complete comfort with it all. Played my first 9 in 8 months, this past Saturday, in all candor it was horrible but if I had an MOI dosed iron it would saved me 1 stroke and cost me 1. Toed an easy approach was the cost, ball losing the added 15-20 feet (yes, that's all it is) saved a blocked shot from reaching OB swamp. Where GI is of huge help is in psyche to stay "in the game". The wall of worry blades can impose is higher, you get past that, and you understand implicitly what they do and do not do, things actually get fun. The calculus of the game changes, it's less point and shoot more right brain creative thinking going on. Index is the holy grail in golf, but it's only important to me in the way my adjust gross income is on tax day. It's just a barometer, not an end in itself, going about doing my work in a fashion I love matters more. I keep hearing "I want data". You want real data? Spend real, substantial time with all the differing flavors of clubs and pay attention, you'll get the answers.

@MelloYello said: Nobody who's at my level (8) or worse is sticking it close based on pure skill. Blades are for the guys who can actually do that. If/when I stick it inside 10-ft, that's pure luck.

This is where you and I disagree. I've hit plenty of approach shot within 10 feet that were not pure luck.

@MelloYello said: The guy who is so into golf he has a WRX account and who is so equipment-obsessed he posts about his blades.

That's who we're talking about.

Maybe, just maybe, this person created a post about their blades because they experienced something some may not have. They found that a blade is not as penial as some think they are for their swing.

@MelloYello said: We should judge everyone (who participates in these discussions) and assume they're normal until shown otherwise.

How can you be shown otherwise unless you play with the person? Based on that thinking most posts are here are not true? Or is it only the post that goes against your line of thinking?

> @nsxguy said:

> Perhaps you've retained more of Mello's postings in this thread than I have but I don't see Mello as advocating for any specific club type.

>

> His (and my) main POV is for high, and even mid, handicappers and rank beginners, to stop exaggerating(?) how well, and how much "better" they hit their blades and totally dismissing the potential advantages of more forgiving irons. They love their blades ? No problem.

>

> We have a 27 handicapper posting a pattern of 10 iron shots, with blades of course, that, excepting distance, ANY 5 handicapper would be very pleased with. OTOH, we only saw ball speed and not swing speed, but no matter.

>

> I personally have never seen this particular unicorn. I have seen a few guys that had terrible swings but could get it up and down from anywhere. This I attribute to the short game being much easier to practice and become fairly proficient at than the full swing. I'd asked this guy, if he loves golf so much, why he didn't take lessons ($ was NOT an issue). He simply didn't want to - wasn't that important to him. Oh well.

>

> I've seen a decent ball striker (about a 9 or so) who was a terrific chipper of the ball,,,,,,,,,, but put a putter in his hands and there was no telling what would happen.

>

>

I was taking this as advocacy of player's CBs:

"I don't push anyone away from Player's clubs though. In my experience that's where about 90% of serious recreational players ought to be. GI irons are actively trying to correct for some bad flaw and blades assume a perfect strike. Player's clubs are just a perfect middle ground. They reward good strikes but offer some help without assuming you're a hack."

As far as people exaggerating, I'd say that unless you see someone playing it's hard to argue that he/she is exaggerating. Even if they are, though, why does it matter?

> @Golf4lifer said:

> This is where you and I disagree. I've hit plenty of approach shot within 10 feet that were not pure luck.

Everyone has memories of "perfect" shots. But we've also all hit shots we thought were golden that ended up 20-ft away. There's always a certain amount of randomness in the shots.

> @Golf4lifer said:

> Maybe, just maybe, this person created a post about their blades because they experienced something some may not have.

Again, everyone is a snowflake who's experience needs to be treated like it's unique. We don't use this logic with driver shaft flex. We don't say a 90-mph player should be fit to Rory's specs because of his _'personal experience.'_

> @Golf4lifer said:

> They found that a blade is not as penal as some think they are for their swing.

Blades are never as penal as people think because they go in believing they are going to be impossible to hit. Then you go through the phase where you are elated to find you can play with them. Then you slowly realize you're not quite good enough to pull them off. Then you kid yourself for awhile. Then you finally go with a PCB.

It's just a phase. We've all gone through it.

> @Golf4lifer said:

> How can you be shown otherwise unless you play with the person?

We're not clueless. We have reasonable expectations that come from (1) our own experience and (2) real data.

If someone reports averaging 9 GIR per round we would expect them to be a 5-handicap or better. If we found out they were a 15-handicap we'd immediately know that person had major issues with short game, putting, blow-up holes or something really out of the ordinary.

Then again, someone said they were a 15-handicap that averaged 8-FWYs and 5-GIR per round, we'd know they were a pretty typical 15-handicapper.

When we ask these 15-handicap blade guys about their stats, they sound pretty darn average.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @toc said:

> > @nsxguy said:

> > Perhaps you've retained more of Mello's postings in this thread than I have but I don't see Mello as advocating for any specific club type.

> >

> > His (and my) main POV is for high, and even mid, handicappers and rank beginners, to stop exaggerating(?) how well, and how much "better" they hit their blades and totally dismissing the potential advantages of more forgiving irons. They love their blades ? No problem.

> >

> > We have a 27 handicapper posting a pattern of 10 iron shots, with blades of course, that, excepting distance, ANY 5 handicapper would be very pleased with. OTOH, we only saw ball speed and not swing speed, but no matter.

> >

> > I personally have never seen this particular unicorn. I have seen a few guys that had terrible swings but could get it up and down from anywhere. This I attribute to the short game being much easier to practice and become fairly proficient at than the full swing. I'd asked this guy, if he loves golf so much, why he didn't take lessons ($ was NOT an issue). He simply didn't want to - wasn't that important to him. Oh well.

> >

> > I've seen a decent ball striker (about a 9 or so) who was a terrific chipper of the ball,,,,,,,,,, but put a putter in his hands and there was no telling what would happen.

> >

> >

>

> I was taking this as advocacy of player's CBs:

>

> "I don't push anyone away from Player's clubs though. In my experience that's where about 90% of serious recreational players ought to be. GI irons are actively trying to correct for some bad flaw and blades assume a perfect strike. Player's clubs are just a perfect middle ground. They reward good strikes but offer some help without assuming you're a hack."

>

> As far as people exaggerating, I'd say that unless you see someone playing it's hard to argue that he/she is exaggerating. Even if they are, though, why does it matter?

>

>

Well, I'm not sure not "pushing someone away from" anything is advocating something else but,,,,,,,

As for exaggerating goes,,,,,,,,, I have to wonder how much opinions are taken at face value, especially by beginners and high handicappers.

Guys who are far better players AND have been for quite a while have "been there and done that" ? Or anyone on here free to express their opinions however ill equipped to do so ?

And whose opinion(s) would someone looking for guidance trust more ? The obvious answer is the more experienced but that's not always obvious HERE as beginners and high cappers might also think "Well, this guy's the same as me and he improved & got better results doing this so maybe I should too".

I mean I've been playing for aloooooong time and I'm at least somewhat influenced, sometimes to try stuff I'd not previously considered, by all the equipment suggestions around here. I don't act on many of them but quite often I'll at least try 'em.

See that Cobra F9 driver thread ? Well, I was in the market and kept trying, probably much more than I should have, to get the results others were and simply could not. Some guys on that thread admitted to buying the club blind. Don't know how that ended up but,,,,,,,,,,

I tried putting with the Tour B X ball based on the current ball test thread. LOL I wouldn't think of switching to them right now as I just took advantage of the Titleist promo to get 4 dozen AVX so I'll not even buy a sleeve of the Tour B's to try.

Then again,,,,,,,,,,, I could easily sell the AVX balls for what I paid for them,,,,,,,,,,,, Hmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,, LOL

Titleist Pro V1X

> @nsxguy said:

> > @toc said:

> > > @nsxguy said:

> > > Perhaps you've retained more of Mello's postings in this thread than I have but I don't see Mello as advocating for any specific club type.

> > >

> > > His (and my) main POV is for high, and even mid, handicappers and rank beginners, to stop exaggerating(?) how well, and how much "better" they hit their blades and totally dismissing the potential advantages of more forgiving irons. They love their blades ? No problem.

> > >

> > > We have a 27 handicapper posting a pattern of 10 iron shots, with blades of course, that, excepting distance, ANY 5 handicapper would be very pleased with. OTOH, we only saw ball speed and not swing speed, but no matter.

> > >

> > > I personally have never seen this particular unicorn. I have seen a few guys that had terrible swings but could get it up and down from anywhere. This I attribute to the short game being much easier to practice and become fairly proficient at than the full swing. I'd asked this guy, if he loves golf so much, why he didn't take lessons ($ was NOT an issue). He simply didn't want to - wasn't that important to him. Oh well.

> > >

> > > I've seen a decent ball striker (about a 9 or so) who was a terrific chipper of the ball,,,,,,,,,, but put a putter in his hands and there was no telling what would happen.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I was taking this as advocacy of player's CBs:

> >

> > "I don't push anyone away from Player's clubs though. In my experience that's where about 90% of serious recreational players ought to be. GI irons are actively trying to correct for some bad flaw and blades assume a perfect strike. Player's clubs are just a perfect middle ground. They reward good strikes but offer some help without assuming you're a hack."

> >

> > As far as people exaggerating, I'd say that unless you see someone playing it's hard to argue that he/she is exaggerating. Even if they are, though, why does it matter?

> >

> >

>

> Well, I'm not sure not "pushing someone away from" anything is advocating something else but,,,,,,,

>

> As for exaggerating goes,,,,,,,,, I have to wonder how much opinions are taken at face value, especially by beginners and high handicappers.

>

> Guys who are far better players AND have been for quite a while have "been there and done that" ? Or anyone on here free to express their opinions however ill equipped to do so ?

>

> And whose opinion(s) would someone looking for guidance trust more ? The obvious answer is the more experienced but that's not always obvious HERE as beginners and high cappers might also think "Well, this guy's the same as me and he improved & got better results doing this so maybe I should too".

>

> I mean I've been playing for aloooooong time and I'm at least somewhat influenced, sometimes to try stuff I'd not previously considered, by all the equipment suggestions around here. I don't act on many of them but quite often I'll at least try 'em.

>

> See that Cobra F9 driver thread ? Well, I was in the market and kept trying, probably much more than I should have, to get the results others were and simply could not. Some guys on that thread admitted to buying the club blind. Don't know how that ended up but,,,,,,,,,,

>

> I tried putting with the Tour B X ball based on the current ball test thread. LOL I wouldn't think of switching to them right now as I just took advantage of the Titleist promo to get 4 dozen AVX so I'll not even buy a sleeve of the Tour B's to try.

>

> Then again,,,,,,,,,,, I could easily sell the AVX balls for what I paid for them,,,,,,,,,,,, Hmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,, LOL

>

Ok so the issue with higher handicaps using blades and posting about it (with possible exaggerations) is that it may influence others to play blades as well? There's definitely merit there, people seek out positive opinions prior to making a purchase all the time. I guess I've just never understood why this irks some people.

> @MelloYello said:

> > @Golf4lifer said:

> > This is where you and I disagree. I've hit plenty of approach shot within 10 feet that were not pure luck.

>

> Everyone has memories of "perfect" shots. But we've also all hit shots we thought were golden that ended up 20-ft away. There's always a certain amount of randomness in the shots.

>

> > @Golf4lifer said:

> > Maybe, just maybe, this person created a post about their blades because they experienced something some may not have.

>

> Again, everyone is a snowflake who's experience needs to be treated like it's unique. We don't use this logic with driver shaft flex. We don't say a 90-mph player should be fit to Rory's specs because of his _'personal experience.'_

>

> > @Golf4lifer said:

> > They found that a blade is not as penal as some think they are for their swing.

>

> Blades are never as penal as people think because they go in believing they are going to be impossible to hit. Then you go through the phase where you are elated to find you can play with them. Then you slowly realize you're not quite good enough to pull them off. Then you kid yourself for awhile. Then you finally go with a PCB.

>

> It's just a phase. We've all gone through it.

>

> > @Golf4lifer said:

> > How can you be shown otherwise unless you play with the person?

>

> We're not clueless. We have reasonable expectations that come from (1) our own experience and (2) real data.

>

> If someone reports averaging 9 GIR per round we would expect them to be a 5-handicap or better. If we found out they were a 15-handicap we'd immediately know that person had major issues with short game, putting, blow-up holes or something really out of the ordinary.

>

> Then again, someone said they were a 15-handicap that averaged 8-FWYs and 5-GIR per round, we'd know they were a pretty typical 15-handicapper.

>

> When we ask these 15-handicap blade guys about their stats, they sound pretty darn average.

>

Wow! Yup, every golfer falls into your narrow view of what a golfer is based on stats and YOUR experience.

Can I just assure you guys this blades discussion is not a phenomenon unique to WRX. I've seen this exact same discussion a million times on other golf forums too. It usually goes something like this:

Obsessed high/mid handicap tries blades out of curiosity. What do you know they're not as penal and hard to hit as their detractors make out. In fact he finds he strikes them quite well. The smaller head makes him focus more, he's really enjoying playing them and shooting some of his best scores. They're like precision instruments compared to those chunky, oversized GI irons he normally plays.

High/mid handicap golfer shares experience on golf forum.

There is a torrent of posts in response. Half agreeing with his findings and experience. The other half deriding the idea that some mid handicap hack can hit a blade better than some more forgiving cavity back or GI design. Sides are taken, battle lines are drawn. Both sides argue their point ad infinitum.

Rinse and repeat. It's unbelievable one topic can be so divisive and so enduring.

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

I am just curious at what point in the most equipment regulated sport OTHER THAN the modern non wound ball have you been able to alter your handicap with new/different equipment based on the scientific properties of that equipment?

I own 3 drivers that are like Tesla’s vs a 1995 Ford Taurus compared to the old grey metal king cobra with stock shaft I had in high school, or the mchenry metals I had in college, and cost so much more it isn’t funny, yet for some reason I can’t buy the length and accuracy I had then with all that advancement.

One would think that the tech has surely surpassed my own flaws since then based on reading this.

Maybe the reason this is never ending is becuase neither side can actually prove their point. It is the equivalent of someone believing in a god trying to justify themselves to an atheist and visa versa. There is simply no definitive proof, only circumstantial flimsy “evidence” that is interpreted differently

From depending on what you believe in.

That is why I am agnostic and play a set of each. I am smart enough to know what is beyond my comprehension....

I will say this as a hopeful agnostic and pro blades guy...... with cbs obviously being the science backed “atheist” in the argument and the blades being the faith of higher power, the days where cbs seem right don’t make you feel as good about the world as the days that The blades were the right thing to put in the bag that morning.

Peace..

> @MelloYello said:

> > @cliffhanger said:

> >

> > If something annoys you that much (and it certainly appears that it does), why don't you choose to avoid it and post elsewhere? I think your anger is getting the best of you... and your wrong in assuming with most of what you said. Sorry if thats offensive sir.

>

> Why should I be worried about pulling punches? This is an online forum. Even if we try and keep things polite, it certainly doesn't seem wise to assume that everyone is rationale and therefore deserves to have their views honored.

>

> Only on WRX can a mid- or high-handicap make a case for using blades. We should never recommend that sort of fitting but for some reason it gains traction on WRX.

>

> If some guy that swung his driver at 85-mph came in talking about how he bought a $400 shaft on Ebay that was some heavy, X-flex, tip-stiff, ultra low-spin thing, we wouldn't take that seriously. We would recognize that guy as a wannabe. Some guys will spend $400 to have Tiger's shaft even when it doesn't fit them at all. Fine...but the moment that person wants to get online and start lying about how it's a good fit for him? Okay, that's delusional nonsense.

>

> People would explain to that guy how that shaft isn't optimizing his launch conditions and how in the long run, whatever he feels like he's gaining is ultimately not a good trade and that's it's better to get properly fit to something more appropriate so he can hit the ball higher, further and straighter.

>

> People are receptive to this kind of info when it comes to expensive driver shafts, fairway woods, hybrids and wedges because they want to get it right. But for some reason people don't seem to have the same desire to get the irons right. They are biased towards wanting blades and it leads to an onslaught on WRX where tons of mid- and high-handicap golfers are slapping it around with blades talking about how great they feel and they're great tools for improving your game.

>

> Maybe if these guys actually bought these irons new for $1,200 they wouldn't be so quick to buy something that didn't fit them. It's way easier to throw down $300 on Ebay for a cheap set of blades and think nothing of it.

>

> What I see are a bunch of guys who like them because they're shiny and pretty and on the 1 shot in 10 where they actually find the certain of the face, they get a rush like they're a real shot-maker.

>

> I just think living in fantasy-land is kind of pointless when a person could actually approach the game looking to optimizing his scores and gain some real confidence by going with reasonable equipment and a nice practice schedule.

>

> For 99% of amateur players out there, blades are a phase.

>

> The fact people here put so much emphasis on equipment is really kind of sad I think. This year I simplified my bag, went with CBs and tried to stop worrying about equipment.

>

> I'm playing the best and most consistent golf of my life. Compared to a lot of people who are out there breaking par I still suck but I wouldn't trade shooting solid scores for the experience of using blades.

>

> Been there. Done that. Ain't worth going back.

I subscribe to everything that you write, but I could never play successfully with Titleist CB's. I tried that one year, 6-iron to PW, and after a few rounds I went right back to my AP1's, with a couple AP2's mixed in for the short irons.

This year I am trying a Ping i210 7-iron. My initial reaction is that it plays somewhere between an AP2 and an AP1. We'll see.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @Bigmean said:

> That is why I am agnostic and play a set of each. I am smart enough to know what is beyond my comprehension....

Behold the _Ignavi_.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @kiwihacker said:

> Can I just assure you guys this blades discussion is not a phenomenon unique to WRX. I've seen this exact same discussion a million times on other golf forums too. It usually goes something like this:

>

> Obsessed high/mid handicap tries blades out of curiosity. What do you know they're not as penal and hard to hit as their detractors make out. In fact he finds he strikes them quite well. The smaller head makes him focus more, he's really enjoying playing them and shooting some of his best scores. They're like precision instruments compared to those chunky, oversized GI irons he normally plays.

>

> High/mid handicap golfer shares experience on golf forum.

>

> There is a torrent of posts in response. Half agreeing with his findings and experience. The other half deriding the idea that some mid handicap hack can hit a blade better than some more forgiving cavity back or GI design. Sides are taken, battle lines are drawn. Both sides argue their point ad infinitum.

>

> Rinse and repeat. It's unbelievable one topic can be so divisive and so enduring.

>

Oh, I think we could have similar debates about FAR more pointless things:

...the guy who buys a $3k Scotty.

...the guy who buys a $500 shaft.

...staff bags!?

I think we let those go because there is literally nothing but money driving those purchases. The guy who buys the Circle-T doesn't do it to lower his putting handicap. The guy who plays a $500 shaft would happily pass if he felt he couldn't afford it.

I don't hear the staff bag guy telling me how much easier it is to get to his clubs, LOL.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @toc said:

> Ok so the issue with higher handicaps using blades and posting about it (with possible exaggerations) is that it may influence others to play blades as well? There's definitely merit there, people seek out positive opinions prior to making a purchase all the time. I guess I've just never understood why this irks some people.

I used to have a friend who smoked a ton of weed. I would see him light up all the time when we lived together and I'd ask him why he felt he needed that in his life when it obviously cost him a lot of money (he didn't really have). I asked him why he felt so inclined to use it.

His reply was always something like, _'Well, hey, don't knock it. A lot of super-successful people do it, too!'_

IDK...I just kind of walked away at that point thinking, _'yeah, and if you were a CEO I wouldn't say anything but you're a cook making minimum wage...'_

I'm still friends with this guy now and he doesn't smoke. I think he mostly quit to save money and that was really my point. It doesn't make you bad. It just seems a little unwise.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @Bigmean said:

> I am just curious at what point in the most equipment regulated sport OTHER THAN the modern non wound ball have you been able to alter your handicap with new/different equipment based on the scientific properties of that equipment?

>

> I own 3 drivers that are like Tesla’s vs a 1995 Ford Taurus compared to the old grey metal king cobra with stock shaft I had in high school, or the mchenry metals I had in college, and cost so much more it isn’t funny, yet for some reason I can’t buy the length and accuracy I had then with all that advancement.

>

> One would think that the tech has surely surpassed my own flaws since then based on reading this.

>

> Maybe the reason this is never ending is becuase neither side can actually prove their point. It is the equivalent of someone believing in a god trying to justify themselves to an atheist and visa versa. There is simply no definitive proof, only circumstantial flimsy “evidence” that is interpreted differently

> From depending on what you believe in.

>

> That is why I am agnostic and play a set of each. I am smart enough to know what is beyond my comprehension....

>

> I will say this as a hopeful agnostic and pro blades guy...... with cbs obviously being the science backed “atheist” in the argument and the blades being the faith of higher power, the days where cbs seem right don’t make you feel as good about the world as the days that The blades were the right thing to put in the bag that morning.

>

> Peace..

So which driver and irons do you play ?

And how do you decide on which to play when ?

What's are the deciding factors for you ?

Titleist Pro V1X

> @gvogel said:

>

> I subscribe to everything that you write, but I could never play successfully with Titleist CB's. I tried that one year, 6-iron to PW, and after a few rounds I went right back to my AP1's, with a couple AP2's mixed in for the short irons.

>

> This year I am trying a Ping i210 7-iron. My initial reaction is that it plays somewhere between an AP2 and an AP1. We'll see.

My proclamations assume a golfer that looks at a 155-yd shot and sees a 7- or 8-iron (or less). If you have a slightly lower SS than what I'm imagining (or lack flexibility) then things can change.

I have said before that rather than calling them "game-improvement," OEMs are right to start labeling them "distance" irons. That's really what they are. They are for folks who need a bit more help launching the ball.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @toc said:

> > Ok so the issue with higher handicaps using blades and posting about it (with possible exaggerations) is that it may influence others to play blades as well? There's definitely merit there, people seek out positive opinions prior to making a purchase all the time. I guess I've just never understood why this irks some people.

>

> I used to have a friend who smoked a ton of weed. I would see him light up all the time when we lived together and I'd ask him why he felt he needed that in his life when it obviously cost him a lot of money (he didn't really have). I asked him why he felt so inclined to use it.

>

> His reply was always something like, _'Well, hey, don't knock it. A lot of super-successful people do it, too!'_

>

> IDK...I just kind of walked away at that point thinking, _'yeah, and if you were a CEO I wouldn't say anything but you're a cook making minimum wage...'_

>

> I'm still friends with this guy now and he doesn't smoke. I think he mostly quit to save money and that was really my point. It doesn't make you bad. It just seems a little unwise.

Man now you're comparing smoking weed to playing blades. That's quite the long bow you have there.

• Like 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

> @toc said:

> @MelloYello you’re not stupid at all, as someone suggested, in fact I agree with a great many of your points. The better one gets at this game, the more he or she is shaped by his or her own experience. When one breaks through a significant score barrier, be it 100, 90, 80, 70 or whatever, the accomplishment brings with it a heightened sense of understanding. When one breaks through the next barrier I think it’s common to look back at one’s knowledge/understanding 10 shots ago and chuckle at the naivety that was masquerading as understanding. My point is that while you did the blade thing (as so many others, including myself, have) and decided they didn’t help you play or score any better it is shortsighted to assume the experiment plays out exactly the same for everyone. Maybe people deluded themselves on wrx justifying their blade choice but maybe it really is the better choice for some. You indicate you’re a players CB guy and advocate for people playing similar clubs. Who knows though? Maybe when you’re consistently in the low 70s you’ll be urging people to play even more forgiving clubs, maybe you’ll be back on blades. Your experiences color your opinions, but it doesn’t make them fact.

You're right. Who knows?

But the last sentence bothers me. I don't understand what it means, why it's there or what purpose it serves.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @toc said:

> > Ok so the issue with higher handicaps using blades and posting about it (with possible exaggerations) is that it may influence others to play blades as well? There's definitely merit there, people seek out positive opinions prior to making a purchase all the time. I guess I've just never understood why this irks some people.

>

> I used to have a friend who smoked a ton of weed. I would see him light up all the time when we lived together and I'd ask him why he felt he needed that in his life when it obviously cost him a lot of money (he didn't really have). I asked him why he felt so inclined to use it.

>

> His reply was always something like, _'Well, hey, don't knock it. A lot of super-successful people do it, too!'_

>

> IDK...I just kind of walked away at that point thinking, _'yeah, and if you were a CEO I wouldn't say anything but you're a cook making minimum wage...'_

>

> I'm still friends with this guy now and he doesn't smoke. I think he mostly quit to save money and that was really my point. It doesn't make you bad. It just seems a little unwise.

I had a very similar roommate in college and as long as his choices didn't impact me I didn't care what he did.

Dude. Play what you want. For sure. I do. Always. Hybrids , GI , blades , mallet putter , 8802. All trade offs. None pure help.

But. A titleist CB 3-4 iron is not measurably more forgiving than a 716 mb 3-4 iron. You may have a better fit with the cb , via weight lie or shaft , or it maybe simply mental blockage. But those are not the difference e between going at a green with 3 iron or not. Those two irons are kissing cousins with a little weight moved around.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @kiwihacker said:

> Man now you're comparing smoking weed to playing blades. That's quite the long bow you have there.

It's an apt comparison, I think.

One guy is blowing what little money he has on something he doesn't need thereby making life harder on himself in other areas.

The other guy is making it unnecessarily hard to hit the green from 165-out.

A lot of otherwise decent people go out of their way to create unnecessary friction in their lives all the while convincing themselves that somehow their course of actions makes sense.

Humans, bro.

Dey weird like dat.

If you don't like the analogy, then you sir can, as my little dog does, go bite your pillow.

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @gvogel said:

> >

> > I subscribe to everything that you write, but I could never play successfully with Titleist CB's. I tried that one year, 6-iron to PW, and after a few rounds I went right back to my AP1's, with a couple AP2's mixed in for the short irons.

> >

> > This year I am trying a Ping i210 7-iron. My initial reaction is that it plays somewhere between an AP2 and an AP1. We'll see.

>

> My proclamations assume a golfer that looks at a 155-yd shot and sees a 7- or 8-iron (or less). If you have a slightly lower SS than what I'm imagining (or lack flexibility) then things can change.

>

> I have said before that rather than calling them "game-improvement," OEMs are right to start labeling them "distance" irons. That's really what they are. They are for folks who need a bit more help launching the ball.

I am getting about 145 out of my normal AP1 7-iron. It has a traditional loft of 34*; it is also easier for me to obtain 145 than my AP2 7-iron.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse