How many times can a person shoot 80 before breaking through? (ANSWER ON PAGE 4!)

vbb

I am apparently the king of shooting 80.

I've been playing roughly 18 years. Didn't pick up the game til my early 20s, and didn't get serious about it until mid-late 20s. For the past 5 years or so, I've turned a corner with my game, sort of. I've figured out some things in my swing which have helped me break through a plateau, whereas I was consistently in the mid 90s for a good 8-10 years, I've gotten my game to the point where I'm in the mid-low 80s on my good rounds, with high 80s/low 90s on my bad ones. My hcp index is between 12 and 15 and has been for quite a while... but I cannot seem to break 80!

Today was the latest. I was playing a round with a much better guy. He had 4 birdies on the front alone, and I was doing all I could to keep pace. Made the turn at 4 over, which for me is a good score and brings "79 watch" into play. From that point I went 1 over through my next 6 holes. I was standing on the tee box on 16 at only 5 over, and unfortunately for me I knew EXACTLY where I stood. 16 is a long par 5 and the green is on a little tabletop so it is the hardest green to hit. I was way short of the green on my approach due to wayward shot, and had a full wedge in. Hit the green perfectly, but had no spin whatsoever and couldn't hold it. Rolled off the side, pin high. Made a bad double. After parring 17, and splitting the fairway on 18 (albeit a little short), I had a comfortable 7 iron to the center of the green, knowing a par gets me in at 79. I was so nervous I had to back off the shot. I then proceeded to hit the worst, fattest iron I'd hit all day. Still, I had a comfortable sand wedge to the pin. Put it 10' away. Lipped the putt out. Tap in for bogey, and what must be my 5th or 6th time shooting 80.

The mental game is real.

Edited by vbb

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

Hahaha dude that is awesome! I'm laughing because I'm right there with you scoring wise. Knowing exactly where you stand, so true...here comes the anxiety!

I had four 80s before I finally hit 79 in January this year. My last 80 was a 3 foot putt from being 79 - my arms began shaking and I missed it of course....aaaargh!!!

You'll get there soon brother, no doubt that you have the game to do it. All I can say is try not to care next time you find yourself in contention to break the eight-oh.

I had to par my final three holes for my first 79 and I just kept blowing it off in my mind...

"it's a winter round, doesn't really matter"

"low 80s this time of year? Sounds good to me."

"Lift, clean and place isn't really golf anyway."

Low and behold I was 3 feet away again on 18 for par and my first 79, and finally I allowed myself to think positively... "F it, this is going in this time!!!"

Been there.

I don't believe in the "don't know the score" surprise yourself at the end idea, never will. I'm sure there is all sorts of mental game stuff you could read, who knows, maybe a consistent PSR or some nuggets pulled out of those kinds of materials would prove to be the ticket, could very well be. But you are a 12-15, not sure what that means, but I'm going with that since you don't reference the actual number, so you are going to miss greens, have an inconsistent wedge and short game, miss putts, etc.

I started breaking 80 consistently, which is what I assume you want to do, when I put in the work to get better, and . . . . got better. Better ballstriking, analyzing the parts of your game that are holding you back from that goal and making them better, one shot at a time. I'm not doing the math, and someone "statsy" may provide a better answer, but erring on the high end, you need to be saving up to 6-9 shots a round.

Hope you do it, and it will happen if you are this close, but your odds increase as your game improves!

3 greens in regulation, 3 up n downs, 3 bogies per side.... there is a saying in cycling, in order to ride fast you have to train fast ...train low.

Wishon 10.5 919 driver pure grip
Pure fit Raw ID 4 wood star side winder
Ping rapture 21 degree gripmaster wrap
4-pw Maltby dbm with aerotech regular gripmaster wraps
50;53;58 Maltby m wedges w matrix kujoh w brown perf gripmaster wraps
ray cook gyro w ust filter shaft gripmaster 
Ping moonlite bag

I can't forget where I stand during a round. I always have a good sense of my score, especially when I'm playing well. It's easy to know when you're a handful over without actually counting. That tactic won't work for me unfortunately. I do try to stick to the same pre shot routine. It also doesn't help me that #16 and #18 at my home course are both tough pars. I can't remember the last time I parred both in the same round.

To the guy that asked what it meant for me to say I'm a 12-15, I meant over a period of time. I'm a 13.8 right now. Next month I might be down a bit, the following I might be back up. That's my range from revision to revision. I'm trying to get my index down to a 9.9.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

> @vbb said:

> I can't forget where I stand during a round. I always have a good sense of my score, especially when I'm playing well. It's easy to know when you're a handful over without actually counting. That tactic won't work for me unfortunately. I do try to stick to the same pre shot routine. It also doesn't help me that #16 and #18 at my home course are both tough pars. I can't remember the last time I parred both in the same round.

>

> To the guy that asked what it meant for me to say I'm a 12-15, I meant over a period of time. I'm a 13.8 right now. Next month I might be down a bit, the following I might be back up. That's my range from revision to revision. I'm trying to get my index down to a 9.9.

Got it. Looking back the past 8 years at indexes/scores I occasionally broke 80 as a 10 handicap (course rating of 67.4/slope 116 so not the same as doing it on a tougher course - par 70 at the time), and once I was down to just below 9 was doing it a lot more - last summer ended up at 6.7 and 12 of last 16 rounds were in the 70s. In July of 2011, my highest index of 13.4 the past 8 years came with the 7/1/11 revision, which I see went up, lol, but there was a 78 in there! Again, course plays a part in that and I go to a tougher course, par 72 and rating over 70 and in the past, particularly when my index was higher, I would have to remind myself what a good score for me is because I'd get frustrated shooting 40 or more for a 9 when that was a honestly a good score for me.

No doubt if you keep knocking it will happen soon and it won't be just the rounds that "everything came together" where you break 80 - you expect to.

Do it like I did it. The first time I broke 80, I birdied #14 to get to 1 over. It hit me HARD at that point that there was no doubt I was breaking 80. But I started telling myself “just 4 more bogeys”. I played 15 reasonably well but was very tentative with my putts and got a bogey. Same for 16 (bogey). The tee shot on 17 and the approach on 18 were the only two shots I feared from that point on at +3. Hit a terrible shot on 17 but got really lucky and eeked out another bogey. Piped my drive on 18 and took a huge deep breath / sigh of relief even though I needed to clear the water on the approach. Dunked it in the water of course. From there I played the most scared, most tentative golf you could imagine but eeked out my triple for a +7 79. Whew!

Point is, just go as low as you can prior to the last few holes and then give yourself some room to choke it away. ?. I’ve broken 80 twice since then...both 79s where I found myself scratching out bogey or par on 18 to get’r done. I’m playing so poorly right now, though, that breaking 90 is a more realistic goal. Index still at 9.1 though.

I also can’t not know my score. My brain keeps a running tally and I can’t turn that off. So in all seriousness, I’ve just practiced ways to manage that.

Good luck to you. It will happen when you least expect it. And as a nearly 14 index, breaking 80 would be a big accomplishment.

I was having a tough time a few years ago when I got back into the game from a 7 year layoff. I found a local old school muni course, that was 6000 from the tips and a par 70. After 3 rounds I was breaking 80 all the time. After that, I had the pressure off me to do it at a longer course. Golf is very mental.

Callaway AI Smoke 10.5°(9.5°) - GD Tour AD IZ 5

Taylormade SIM2 TI 3W 15°(14°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 HMP (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Vokey SM8 52°(50°) F Grind

Vokey SM8 56° M Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

I believe I shot exactly 80 five or six times before getting into the 70s. My first round in the 70s was a 76 though! Keep at it!

Cobra Radspeed (10)

Cobra F8+ (14.5, 19)

Cobra King Tec Hybrid (24)

Cobra Forged Tour (5-PW)

Cobra Black (50, 54)

Cobra Black Snakebite (58)

PING Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB Black

> @vbb said:

> ...which for me...brings "79 watch" into play.

LOL...that's so true. We've all been there, haha.

My advice?

Do not, under any circumstances start playing conservative. Keep hitting driver. Don't back off your approach shots.

Survey the lie.

Pick a club.

Get right up and hit without a second thought.

The less thinking you do, the better. If you know your mind is racing, get in there and hit before you have a chance to second-guess yourself.

Any amount of thinking a 10- or 15-handicap does in between pulling a club and pulling the trigger is most likely going to poison the shot.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @vbb said:

> I can't forget where I stand during a round. I always have a good sense of my score, especially when I'm playing well. It's easy to know when you're a handful over without actually counting. That tactic won't work for me unfortunately. I do try to stick to the same pre shot routine. It also doesn't help me that #16 and #18 at my home course are both tough pars. I can't remember the last time I parred both in the same round.

>

> To the guy that asked what it meant for me to say I'm a 12-15, I meant over a period of time. I'm a 13.8 right now. Next month I might be down a bit, the following I might be back up. That's my range from revision to revision. I'm trying to get my index down to a 9.9.

There's a difference between having a good sense and knowing. Most single digit players that regularly break 80 couldn't tell you what they shot if it was in the 78-80 range without making a conscious effort to work it out and assuming you ar playing a par 72 course. That's because breaking 80 is no big deal to them whereas if they were on for a low sub-par round then they might be inclined to count the score and would have to make a conscious effort not to. I'd work harder on not knowing where you stand and just playing each shot as it comes.

• Like 1

80 is easily one of the most frustrating scores you can shoot, you played a really good round but you know you were just one stroke away from having a round that you would feel so much better about!

I get into the 70's probably 5 out of every 10 rounds and for me the key is playing the par 5's smart. If I know that I can't get to a green in 2 and there is trouble left (my driver miss is left) then I will club down and take a 3 wood because I know I can put myself in the fairway and set myself up for an easy layup and an approach in a range that I am comfortable with. One or two birdies in a round can do wonders for taking the pressure off and they can be found on the par 5's. Just have to take it one hole at a time and never get down on yourself, this game certainly requires a short memory!

While it wasn't 80, I was teaching a close friend golf for years. He started to become pretty decent and could never break 90. Over 2 years we played together He must have shot 90 or 91 a hundred times (literally, he played at least one round a week with me). It was painful to watch because a bunch of times he would be 3-4 shots clear going into the last 2 holes and every time he would say something like "I'm doing it this time" and........ he would shoot 90 lol.

One day we had a business trip in costa mesa, ca and decided to stop by a public course to play. He was 2 over in the front and 3 over in the back going into 17. He has never been remotely that close, just a magical day of chipping in and hitting greens. I was on pins and needles sweating it. Bro made a bogey on 17 and I thought oh crap he might shoot a 12 on 18. Well he made par on 18 and shot a 78! Can't break 90 but wound up breaking 80. Keep your head and heart into it and on that one magic day you will get there bro!

It was easily eight 80's for me before breaking through. Maybe even nine by the time it finally happened. One summer I think I shot 80 like four times in the month of June alone.

Exactly as a friend of mine had predicted, when it happened it was because I shot 76. He had been telling me you can't shoot 79 by being seven over after 15 holes and grinding out three pars to finish. You just have a round so good you're in the 70's with no miracles on the closing holes needed.

Turned around and shot 79 a few weeks later. Then a 78 later the same year. Unfortunately, that all happened in 2016 and things have regressed considerably since then...

Good friend who likes to pick up, lol, needed a three footer to break the 40 for nine holes for the first time. He was playing with me and my daughter and he was stalling a bit hoping for someone to tell him to pick it up - finally my daughter told him it only means something if you make the putt. Well, he missed it and I could tell he’d have been just as happy to claim his 39 with a gimme. Good news is he broke 40 the next day, with the usual complement of gimmes, so he didn’t hold a grudge for long. She and I still razz him about that. So.......make that putt for 79, or 70 whatever. I’m like North above, first time I broke 80 it was a 75 on a tough course for me, but unlike him it was quite awhile before I sniffed it again.

> @oneunderbogey said:

> how easy is the course you're playing or how bad are your bad rounds? At a 13.8 i wouldn't really expect to be breaking 80 no offense.

None taken! My home course is a par 72, sloped at 132 from the blues (6500yds) and 126 from the whites (6000yds). I play the blues 90% of the time in the spring-fall because the way my club does it, men under 50 have to play the blues regardless of handicap for most of our events. This particular round was from the whites. 8 over is the best I've played, and I have another 80 on a par 72 and a handful of 80s on a par 70 that I play sometimes. My bad rounds are generally around 92-95. I only shot over 100 twice in the last 2 years. My game tends to go as my tee game goes. When I'm in or near the fairway, I can score decently. When my tee game is off, I can blow up. I guess I'm not a very good scrambler.

My bigger goal is to finish the year at a 9.9 index. I'd rather do that than break 80.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

> @Pleasedwith3putts said:

> > @vbb said:

> > I can't forget where I stand during a round. I always have a good sense of my score, especially when I'm playing well. It's easy to know when you're a handful over without actually counting. That tactic won't work for me unfortunately. I do try to stick to the same pre shot routine. It also doesn't help me that #16 and #18 at my home course are both tough pars. I can't remember the last time I parred both in the same round.

> >

> > To the guy that asked what it meant for me to say I'm a 12-15, I meant over a period of time. I'm a 13.8 right now. Next month I might be down a bit, the following I might be back up. That's my range from revision to revision. I'm trying to get my index down to a 9.9.

> There's a difference between having a good sense and knowing. Most single digit players that regularly break 80 couldn't tell you what they shot if it was in the 78-80 range without making a conscious effort to work it out and assuming you ar playing a par 72 course. That's because breaking 80 is no big deal to them whereas if they were on for a low sub-par round then they might be inclined to count the score and would have to make a conscious effort not to. I'd work harder on not knowing where you stand and just playing each shot as it comes.

>

Ok, so I do tend to count the score at the turn, though I have a good sense before I count. If I make the turn in 40 or better, I automatically will know how close I am to breaking 80 and the moment when it because an impossibility, save birdies on the remaining holes. When I turned at 40, I couldn't NOT know where I stood at every moment, especially when I had a par on 5 of the next 6 holes.

I agree that the way I'm going to have to do it is to be on the tee box of 16 and no worse than 3 over. That'll give me the buffer I'll need to coast it in. 16 and 18 are very tough holes.

• Like 1

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

> @vbb said:

> > @Pleasedwith3putts said:

> > > @vbb said:

> > > I can't forget where I stand during a round. I always have a good sense of my score, especially when I'm playing well. It's easy to know when you're a handful over without actually counting. That tactic won't work for me unfortunately. I do try to stick to the same pre shot routine. It also doesn't help me that #16 and #18 at my home course are both tough pars. I can't remember the last time I parred both in the same round.

> > >

> > > To the guy that asked what it meant for me to say I'm a 12-15, I meant over a period of time. I'm a 13.8 right now. Next month I might be down a bit, the following I might be back up. That's my range from revision to revision. I'm trying to get my index down to a 9.9.

> > There's a difference between having a good sense and knowing. Most single digit players that regularly break 80 couldn't tell you what they shot if it was in the 78-80 range without making a conscious effort to work it out and assuming you ar playing a par 72 course. That's because breaking 80 is no big deal to them whereas if they were on for a low sub-par round then they might be inclined to count the score and would have to make a conscious effort not to. I'd work harder on not knowing where you stand and just playing each shot as it comes.

> >

>

> Ok, so I do tend to count the score at the turn, though I have a good sense before I count. If I make the turn in 40 or better, I automatically will know how close I am to breaking 80 and the moment when it because an impossibility, save birdies on the remaining holes. When I turned at 40, I couldn't NOT know where I stood at every moment, especially when I had a par on 5 of the next 6 holes.

>

> I agree that the way I'm going to have to do it is to be on the tee box of 16 and no worse than 3 over. That'll give me the buffer I'll need to coast it in. 16 and 18 are very tough holes.

FYI, the last three holes at our course can give me fits and often mess up good rounds.

Best round I had on the back last year (and ever) and one of the best 18 hole rounds I had last summer . . . . . I started on the back nine!!!!!!!!!

Just a thought. ;-)

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @vbb said:

> > > @Pleasedwith3putts said:

> > > > @vbb said:

> > > > I can't forget where I stand during a round. I always have a good sense of my score, especially when I'm playing well. It's easy to know when you're a handful over without actually counting. That tactic won't work for me unfortunately. I do try to stick to the same pre shot routine. It also doesn't help me that #16 and #18 at my home course are both tough pars. I can't remember the last time I parred both in the same round.

> > > >

> > > > To the guy that asked what it meant for me to say I'm a 12-15, I meant over a period of time. I'm a 13.8 right now. Next month I might be down a bit, the following I might be back up. That's my range from revision to revision. I'm trying to get my index down to a 9.9.

> > > There's a difference between having a good sense and knowing. Most single digit players that regularly break 80 couldn't tell you what they shot if it was in the 78-80 range without making a conscious effort to work it out and assuming you ar playing a par 72 course. That's because breaking 80 is no big deal to them whereas if they were on for a low sub-par round then they might be inclined to count the score and would have to make a conscious effort not to. I'd work harder on not knowing where you stand and just playing each shot as it comes.

> > >

> >

> > Ok, so I do tend to count the score at the turn, though I have a good sense before I count. If I make the turn in 40 or better, I automatically will know how close I am to breaking 80 and the moment when it because an impossibility, save birdies on the remaining holes. When I turned at 40, I couldn't NOT know where I stood at every moment, especially when I had a par on 5 of the next 6 holes.

> >

> > I agree that the way I'm going to have to do it is to be on the tee box of 16 and no worse than 3 over. That'll give me the buffer I'll need to coast it in. 16 and 18 are very tough holes.

>

> FYI, the last three holes at our course can give me fits and often mess up good rounds.

>

> Best round I had on the back last year (and ever) and one of the best 18 hole rounds I had last summer . . . . . I started on the back nine!!!!!!!!!

>

> Just a thought. ;-)

That could be a good idea! I actually said to my playing partner earlier in the round (he is new to the club and we were talking about this course compared to his old course) that you don't want to be standing on the 18th tee box needing to make a par. Well, of COURSE I found myself on 18 tee box needing a par to break 80. I talked myself right in to it. When I literally put it dead center of the fairway off the tee, I started thinking THIS IS IT!! And then it wasn't.

Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
MP-T5 54* & 58*

> @vbb said:

> I am apparently the king of shooting 80.

>

> I've been playing roughly 18 years. Didn't pick up the game til my early 20s, and didn't get serious about it until mid-late 20s. For the past 5 years or so, I've turned a corner with my game, sort of. I've figured out some things in my swing which have helped me break through a plateau, whereas I was consistently in the mid 90s for a good 8-10 years, I've gotten my game to the point where I'm in the mid-low 80s on my good rounds, with high 80s/low 90s on my bad ones. My hcp index is between 12 and 15 and has been for quite a while... but I cannot seem to break 80!

>

> Today was the latest. I was playing a round with a much better guy. He had 4 birdies on the front alone, and I was doing all I could to keep pace. Made the turn at 4 over, which for me is a good score and brings "79 watch" into play. From that point I went 1 over through my next 6 holes. I was standing on the tee box on 16 at only 5 over, and unfortunately for me I knew EXACTLY where I stood. 16 is a long par 5 and the green is on a little tabletop so it is the hardest green to hit. I was way short of the green on my approach due to wayward shot, and had a full wedge in. Hit the green perfectly, but had no spin whatsoever and couldn't hold it. Rolled off the side, pin high. Made a bad double. After parring 17, and splitting the fairway on 18 (albeit a little short), I had a comfortable 7 iron to the center of the green, knowing a par gets me in at 79. I was so nervous I had to back off the shot. I then proceeded to hit the worst, fattest iron I'd hit all day. Still, I had a comfortable sand wedge to the pin. Put it 10' away. Lipped the putt out. Tap in for bogey, and what must be my 5th or 6th time shooting 80.

>

> The mental game is real.

It’ll happen fella! Keep plugging away. Maybe focus on your weakest area for a few weeks, set up a putting area in your house, 6 feet only, or do a few chips into a net. I live in a small flat and I’ve done these things recently and the results happen. Hadn’t played for 20 years until 2 years ago, best score in the first year back was 84 but have now got a few rounds in the 70s, including a 76 last Friday.

> @vbb said:

> > @Pleasedwith3putts said:

> > > @vbb said:

> > > I can't forget where I stand during a round. I always have a good sense of my score, especially when I'm playing well. It's easy to know when you're a handful over without actually counting. That tactic won't work for me unfortunately. I do try to stick to the same pre shot routine. It also doesn't help me that #16 and #18 at my home course are both tough pars. I can't remember the last time I parred both in the same round.

> > >

> > > To the guy that asked what it meant for me to say I'm a 12-15, I meant over a period of time. I'm a 13.8 right now. Next month I might be down a bit, the following I might be back up. That's my range from revision to revision. I'm trying to get my index down to a 9.9.

> > There's a difference between having a good sense and knowing. Most single digit players that regularly break 80 couldn't tell you what they shot if it was in the 78-80 range without making a conscious effort to work it out and assuming you ar playing a par 72 course. That's because breaking 80 is no big deal to them whereas if they were on for a low sub-par round then they might be inclined to count the score and would have to make a conscious effort not to. I'd work harder on not knowing where you stand and just playing each shot as it comes.

> >

>

> Ok, so I do tend to count the score at the turn, though I have a good sense before I count. If I make the turn in 40 or better, I automatically will know how close I am to breaking 80 and the moment when it because an impossibility, save birdies on the remaining holes. When I turned at 40, I couldn't NOT know where I stood at every moment, especially when I had a par on 5 of the next 6 holes.

>

> I agree that the way I'm going to have to do it is to be on the tee box of 16 and no worse than 3 over. That'll give me the buffer I'll need to coast it in. 16 and 18 are very tough holes.

I feel for you. The way you will do it is to find a way to let it happen rather than making it a big hurdle in your mind. Don't try to break 80, try to play a smart round of golf and shoot the best score you can on the day with whatever game you have. It's an old cliche playing each hole as it comes but it's true. If there was a way to make you play 18 individual holes whereby your sole objective was to shoot the best score you could on that one hole and with no knowledge of how you either got on for the other holes or any jeopardy wrapped around having to make a par or better on that one hole I bet you would beat 80 aggregated in no time. Equally some argue that the best way to beat 80 is to focus on trying to shoot 75 as it's the fear of failure that comes into play so for instance a lot of guys relax once the card is wrecked / their objective has failed. Just give two things a try; 1- do not add up the score or make any attempt to count score on the way around 2 - set yourself a personal objective of making the worst score a bogey and don't take on any shots where it's obvious that you are running a solid chance of making double if you don't pull them off.

If they have any decent caddies where you play then invest some $$ and tell the guy he gets a solid bonus if he steers you below 80.

• vbb changed the title to How many times can a person shoot 80 before breaking through? (ANSWER ON PAGE 4!)