2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Single Length - why stay the same for wedges?

mgrowc1

This could be a stupid question but I have been interested, at least conceptually, in single length irons.

My limited understanding is that most of the benefit is around the repeatable swing and the longer irons (4/5/6/7) being easier to hit. Most of the disadvantage I have heard of is around the wedges and short irons being challenging. So my question is why not have two difference lengths, say 4-9 and then an inch or something shorter for the wedges. My old set had the same length for my 50/54/58 and it worked well for me. Or even single length from 4-9 and then transition down maybe? I am sure someone thought of this but assuming there is some reason not to do it as I have not heard of anyone doing it?

Thanks,

Mark

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps DeChambeau will also consider shorter wedges after his disastrous short game effort at the Ryder cup! A good friend of mine was just fitted with a complete set of Cobra One Length woods, hybrids, and irons all with Fujikura Pro shafts by Mike Schy, DeChambeau's long time teacher and club fitter. He hits them great with the exception of the SW and LW, which he has now replaced with his old clubs.

I started the year with cobra f7 all on length, struggled went back to Mizuno a then back to cobras and finally got them working. I did however stop at gw and had a normal 54 and 56. Still working on yardage gaps in the middle. I love them, tried f8 but I hit the f7 better and they last better compared to f8 durability.

I was playing driver, 17 fairway, 21 fairway and 23 fairway but one is going. Was playing rogue x 5,6,7 or jpx 900 4 turned to 24 and 5 ruled to 27

Then cobra f7 at 6,7,8,9,p, gw and the. The normal 54/56.

Now that golfing is about done here, going to do a lot launch monitor testing to get the middle of the bag set up before the start of spring golf.

Picked up a 5 Cobra f7 one length and 4 and 5 hybrid I’m thinking d, 17, 21, cobra hybrid 4 then 5 hybrid or 5 iron, then 6-gw, 54,56 and putter.

Iron play has been the weakest part of my game, so over the past month it has been working great.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

I started with a full set of F7 OL to start the year (and still have my variable wedges) and even eventually placed my old PW and GW in the bag. Currently I am OL 5-PW then variable the rest of the way down. The real benefit for me is in the long irons, and for the short game stuff I prefer the shorter clubs. Just picked up a OL hybrid as well but haven't gotten to try it out yet.

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track

I've been playing my F7 OL's for 2 years now and love them from 5i through PW. The GW is okay on full shots, but I can't seem to get the on-course confidence to leave it in the bag. Partial shots are worse because I just don't have the feel with it that I do my 52 or 56. The other thing that's hard with the GW is carry distance...if I do a full swing it's 100-105, a 3/4 swing is 100-105 with no change is swing speed.

Signature!

I picked up a set of Cobra F7 One Length's beginning of this season with the stock steel shaft stiff flex 4-GW. Before that I played a half "ish" bag consisting of Driver, 3W, 4H, 5i, 7i, 8i, PW, 56*. I decided to do the same thing essentially but in one length and I also generally liked the look of the F7's. I proceeded to go through some injury issues (golfer's elbow/tinnitus) and the decided to reshaft the 5,7,8,PW F7 I was using with Recoil Smackwraps. So my current set consists of what's in my signature.

I loved absolutely everything about my setup except for the F7 one length PW and GW. I just couldn't hit them well. I felt I couldn't feel the heads, couldn't get enough control or proper amounts of spin on the clubs or be as aggressive as I want to with shorter clubs and they hit the ball much too high with weaker flights. So I switched to a standard length PW in the Vokey and am yet to really give it a go. As it stands I am in love with my bag for the first time in a long time barring the trial with the PW.

That said, I don't have issues adapting to different length clubs and lofts, but I couldn't get the one length short irons to work as well as the standard lengths for me so I'm back in standard length short irons and would generally recommend those looking at one length to do the same and use more standard length short irons.

Almost all single-length users stop at some point and use VL wedges. Some stop at PW, most at GW, some even game an SL SW. A few Sterling users even game the LW.

I play 4I - GW. I have had fantastic results over the 2 years I've played them. I hit them once and never, ever looked back.

Later I purchased the SW and LW. I'm less happy with them because of what those wedges are supposed to do. With full swings, they're fantastic; even the LW. They feel just like every other club in the bag and help create effective gaps. On less-than-full swings they're just as effective. But....

The flatness of these wedges--they have the same length and lie angle as an 8-iron--make them a lot more difficult to use when you need to open the blade. That makes flop shots and sand shots really hard to execute--you're either really (really!) far away from the ball or you bring the toe into play. That's if you hold the club at the end. If you choke down you're dead because the club is flat but you have to get close to the ball. Again, the toe. So....

I pulled both the SW and LW from my bag and went back to traditional wedges. But I think I'm going to put the SW back--I do most of my lobs and sand shots with the LW anyway. But the LW is a lost cause unless you limit yourself to standing very far away (holding the club at the end).

So, by extension, I understand why people feel they want to use VL wedges with their SL sets. But try to resist it. Here's why. There are two benefits to using SL clubs. First is the opportunity to hit short low-lofted irons; they make it much easier to produce good, consistent contact. The second benefit is grooving one swing with your irons. The one drawback is having to use longer high-lofted irons and wedges. But that goes away! Seriously, you get used to the longer high-lofted irons and wedges because they ALL feel right. That's why I'm putting the SW back in the back and using only a traditional LW for lofted shots around the green. (I can still chip and pitch with the SL PW and GW, too.)

Finally, I play Wishon Sterlings for a particular reason: they're designed around an 8-iron length. The Cobras and Edels are typically longer. (You can get the Sterlings longer, too, and they'll adjust the lie angles accordingly). But the Sterlings are already longer than my Pings at their current length; I don't need more distance from them.

I'm 59, play to a 5, and I suspect these will by my last irons ever. Unless Ping.....(perchance to dream).

A sand wedge to a golfer is what a paring knife is to a chef. Sometimes, you just need one. It's a real individual selection.

As much as I support single-length clubs, I just can't take the concept all the way to SW and LW. You don't swing those clubs the way you do a 4-iron. There's more artistry involved.

For the last few years all of my wedges ( L-S-G-P ) have been SL, with VL going up from there, built with lie angles based on the TLT build method. I think of TLT as a "constant-stance" build model -> you can Google "tlt golf" for info.

In the off-season, I am switching that set ( MP-18 MMC ) to some Steelfiber 95's and will build them as:

-> L-S-G-P all at 36.25"

-> from there I go up in 1/4" increments to 4i , which ends up at 37.75" ( FYI I'm 5'-8" tall )

-> I do like some shaft length increase as I move up in irons to assist with distance

-> I use progressive swingweights to keep things sort-of MOI matched

-> I would never game my as wedges to what is offered in an SL / OL set -> too much loss of control being unnecessarily long IMO

-> conversely, I can no longer game traditional length wedges as bending over so much to hit them feels so unnatural now

There are many ways to build a set to suit our strengths and weaknesses.

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

Put the Sterling SW and LW back in the bag today for 9 holes. Pushed a drive to the right a bit and had a tree between me and the green, 95 yards out. Took a full swing with the LW and watched the ball clear the tree and make the green. Still not completely comfortable with lob and sand shots around the green, but it was getting better.

I play standard length +1 inch through to PW. But i always struggled with wedges (being 6 foot 4) I always felt really crouched over and would get as many fats and / or skulls as clean strikes. I hit my PW pretty good though/

When I got new wedges I thought what the hell - and had them made up to the same length as my PW. Never looked back. I strike all my wedges equally well (or badly lol)

The point is, it makes absolute sense (to me) to have the same length at the bottom of the bag. I need consistency there more than anywhere - though I'm not a fan of the same sentiment at the top. Then again, I've never tried tbh

A sand wedge to a golfer is what a paring knife is to a chef. Sometimes, you just need one. It's a real individual selection.

As much as I support single-length clubs, I just can't take the concept all the way to SW and LW. You don't swing those clubs the way you do a 4-iron. There's more artistry involved.

If by artistry you mean 1/4, 1/2 3/4 shots then there's no reason why having consistent wedge lengths couldn't or wouldn't help that.

I'm not saying have wedges in 7 iron length but there's definitely a case for having the same length for all wedges - I've done mine to PW length.

Think about it, you're simplifying the equation as loft becomes the only difference in controlling distance. I like playing 7, 8 9 and 10 oclock shots with my wedges. I only have to consider what loft I need to go the required distance, pick the time and then the swing is the same regardless of wedge.

Works for me anyway lol

There is no reason you cannot make a combo set. If I was to do it, I'd get the 4 thru 8 irons at 8i length and then go traditional lengths from 9 thru the wedges.

But you haven't. Respectfully, that is a key difference.

It completely defeats one of two purposes for going with single-length irons--grooving one swing for all irons. The more you're able to keep it simple, the better things work. True, you're still left with the other advantage--hitting shorter low-lofted irons--but why miss out?

I've played Wishon Sterlings for 2 years now. I would never consider replacing the high-lofted irons with variable lengths. I'm trying to head in the other direction, incorporating the SW and LW into the set. It's been a struggle, particularly because those clubs have uses beyond full swings. But the full swings with them are fantastic, so I'm trying to see if I can get used to sand and lob shots--shots taken with an open face. (Chips and pitches are already fine because the blade is squared with those.)

If by artistry you mean 1/4, 1/2 3/4 shots then there's no reason why having consistent wedge lengths couldn't or wouldn't help that.

I'm not saying have wedges in 7 iron length but there's definitely a case for having the same length for all wedges - I've done mine to PW length.

Think about it, you're simplifying the equation as loft becomes the only difference in controlling distance. I like playing 7, 8 9 and 10 oclock shots with my wedges. I only have to consider what loft I need to go the required distance, pick the time and then the swing is the same regardless of wedge.

Works for me anyway lol

This is an interesting post. Have you ever tried hitting a 7 with your "9 oclock" wedge swing? Its pretty effective to know those yardages outside of wedges. I don't know too many good players who are just smashing every iron shot as hard as they can, and I don't know too many bad players who consciously build and measure approach shots from outside of wedge range. How far does your 7 carry and roll on a 9 o'clock backswing? Useful info.

If you can do that with your wedges you can drop 3-4 points overnight just doing it with your OL irons too. What about *Gasp* your driver? 9 oclock swing carry and roll. I hit that shot quite often it carries around 240 with some good roll. I probably hit it more than my full driver.

There is no reason you cannot make a combo set. If I was to do it, I'd get the 4 thru 8 irons at 8i length and then go traditional lengths from 9 thru the wedges.

But you haven't. Respectfully, that is a key difference.

It completely defeats one of two purposes for going with single-length irons--grooving one swing for all irons.

Playing golf on Earth also defeats this purpose, as a downhill and uphill lie will always have different swings no matter what the length of your iron.

Grooving one swing for the range with your irons - I'll give you that.

i like OL, but the "one swing" thing is a little silly assuming you sometimes miss a fairway and your courses arn't all played at dead sea level.

Trying to "make golf simpler" is kinda like trying to hold water in your hands. Maybe for a little while, but never permanently. It isn't simple. Embrace that, don't fight it. If you could make it more predictable it would be chess and we'd all hate it.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Playing golf on Earth also defeats this purpose, as a downhill and uphill lie will always have different swings no matter what the length of your iron.

i like OL, but the "one swing" thing is a little silly assuming you sometimes miss a fairway and your courses arn't all played at dead sea level.

Trying to "make golf simpler" is kinda like trying to hold water in your hands. Maybe for a little while, but never permanently. It isn't simple. Embrace that, don't fight it. If you could make it more predictable it would be chess and we'd all hate it.

Because there are variations that arise requiring one to deal with individual circumstances in no way negates the point of single-length irons. In fact, it makes it even EASIER to deal with those variations because you're coming from a very grooved, very understood place. If I need to choke down on a club, if I need to hit a fade or draw, if I need to deal with a sidehill lie or deep rough, it is all easier because the adjustments are simpler.

You hear a lot of objections to the notion of single-length irons, but almost always from people who have not owned and played them. Absent that experience, those wags have no idea what they're talking about.

Because there are variations that arise requiring one to deal with individual circumstances in no way negates the point of single-length irons. In fact, it makes it even EASIER to deal with those variations because you're coming from a very grooved, very understood place. If I need to choke down on a club, if I need to hit a fade or draw, if I need to deal with a sidehill lie or deep rough, it is all easier because the adjustments are simpler.

You hear a lot of objections to the notion of single-length irons, but almost always from people who have not owned and played them. Absent that experience, those wags have no idea what they're talking about.

1. I don't know what a "wag" is.

2. I've played SL, and a i do from 8-LW.

3. There are a ton of advantages to SL. "Same swing" isn't one of them. You never take the same swing, ever, with any golf club during an actual round.\

4. Golf isn't simpler with SL. Its different, which to some means a lower score. But the heart of golf is decisions, and they're just as hard.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

1. I don't know what a "wag" is.

I have no doubt.

2. I've played SL, and a i do from 8-LW.

Huh? That's almost English.

3. There are a ton of advantages to SL. "Same swing" isn't one of them. You never take the same swing, ever, with any golf club during an actual round.\

This misses the entire point of SL clubs. I have no doubt where your disdain comes from. Too bad.

4. Golf isn't simpler with SL. Its different, which to some means a lower score. But the heart of golf is decisions, and they're just as hard.

It's both. One must make decisions and one must execute. SL clubs make execution much simpler. After 25 years and playing to as low as a 3, I never thought I'd make such a change. But I did it 2 years ago and it's been great. So great that I'm willing to work hard to add the SW and LW. They offer incredible advantages, but also some challenges. But that's the only trade-off I've experienced--using these wedges for lob and sand shots. Anything with a square club face--full or partial shot--is great.

Same ball placement. Same swing. Much more accurate and consistent. It makes the other half--the decisions--much more likely to come to fruition.

If clubs aren't an issue, if they don't make the game easier, then why aren't we still playing with heavy forged irons and persimmon woods with steel shafts? Bullseye putters? Gutties and featheries, anyone?

The fact is, this approach to iron play can lead to better results precisely because they're simpler to hit.

I added the "for me" to answer the questions above it. They are better for you. Its not a universal truth that SL is simpler to hit than VL.

Ignored the "if the clubs don't matter part...." as its silly.

I have "disdain" for ignoring geometry. If all your clubs are 38" long, a ball one inch above your feet will make your club 37" and a ball below 39" long (you have to move closer, you can't address it the same way). Same with downhill/uphill changing your loft - you don't hit all your SL shots the same, unless you hit every shot off a perfectly mown fairway lie. You don't make the same swing unless you are on an immaculate driving range.

I play my 8-LW (not sure why so rudely dismissed this) 35.25" long and a 64* lie angle. For me, SL there helps distance control a ton. I can't work a ball very well with a 5 iron short shaft. I don't like it. Not sure why. But I love it in the short clubs.

Every golfer is different. SL isn't inherently simpler, although it may be so for you. They've had SL irons since Bobby Jones. They are not some huge relvelation that is the next big thing in golf. For some, they are great. But for some, offset drivers are great (me included, btw). What would you say if i came on here and said offset drivers make the "game simpler" because you can address a driver shot the same as an iron? You'd rightly laugh, because its personal.

You came into a thread meant to discuss SL irons seemingly with the intent - again - of just being disruptive.

Please dont. Debating is fine. Posting for the sake of being a jerk, is not.

You've been warned about this multiple times before.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Yes, playing real golf on-course means that the lies are ever changing, and iron swings are rarely the same from shot to shot.

However, I feel like SL irons do eliminate some variables. Instead of changing posture and ball position based on the lie AND changing length of each iron, a SL player need only account for the lie. Which, I think, would lead to less of a range in stance and posture changes on iron shots throughout the round. Additionally, as you have experienced with your wedges, PineStreet, there is an appeal to feeling like one can put their swing ‘on the clock’ and hit approach shots different distances with different clubs. In a way I feel like you do actually see the advantages (real or placebo) of playing SL irons but don’t want to admit it.

Which is fine! You are right that golf is individual and what works for one player might not for another. And I do agree with you that most amateurs hit long irons infrequently enough to not really have the SL concept make a difference there.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm convinced even more that the Sterling LW is just a bridge too far. I'm comfortable (enough) with the SW to play it from the sand (at its full length). The Sterling LW is 2 inches longer than my traditional LW, and that's just too much for use around the greens. So I put in a 64-degree wedge for most sand and lob shots, with the Sterling SW for longer bunker shots and half-to-full swings from the fairway.

• 5 months later...