Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

> @g-off said:

> any of you tried minimalist with the single lengths? I've been experimenting since the first of the year and am still up in the air about the idea

Yes, my 6 club setup is 3/5/7/9 all at 7i length, a 53* wedge, and a putter. Great for an enjoyable walking 9/18 after work.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

There are some interesting Bryson Dechambeau tidbits in this article.

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/04/17/golf-clubs-equipment-bryson-dechambeau-cobra-drastic-change-to-grip-weights.html

Ignoring the actual topic (grip weights) the pictures are interesting. The wedges start at 48 and there's a picture of a King Forged Tour 9i rather than the King Forged One that his iron set has been. That would seemingly indicate that he doesn't like the short irons (9i/pw) in the Forged One set as much as he likes the single length long irons.

I found it interesting because I play normal length wedges, and just swapped my Forged One PW for a Forged Tour PW to try to get back a little more of a "wedge" feel in my short (<140yd) game.

Has he ever talked about playing different irons at the bottom of the set? Is that 9i made to his single length, or played shorter? I don't think I've ever seen that in any WITB listings.

• Like 1

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I'm just starting my single length journey. I received my Wishon Sterling G-5 10 days ago. I live in NY State and the weather has been chilly, the ground soft, and the wind blowing like crazy. To add to the uncertainty, I have recently joined a new course, built on a hillside. A lot of shots are straight uphill, or straight downhill, so trying to figure out my distances has been a problem. So far it seems that my 6i goes as far (although not as high) as my existing 5H, and my 5i is going as far as my existing 4H (again, not as high)...I haven't figured out what this means in the long run for my bag. Right now I'm just trying to learn to make the same swing with 7 different clubs. Very interesting. I am neither discouraged, nor overwhelmed with optimism at this point. I think it's going to work for the better. I am enjoying the process.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

> @Mych said:

> There are some interesting Bryson Dechambeau tidbits in this article.

> https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/04/17/golf-clubs-equipment-bryson-dechambeau-cobra-drastic-change-to-grip-weights.html

> Ignoring the actual topic (grip weights) the pictures are interesting. The wedges start at 48 and there's a picture of a King Forged Tour 9i rather than the King Forged One that his iron set has been. That would seemingly indicate that he doesn't like the short irons (9i/pw) in the Forged One set as much as he likes the single length long irons.

> I found it interesting because I play normal length wedges, and just swapped my Forged One PW for a Forged Tour PW to try to get back a little more of a "wedge" feel in my short (<140yd) game.

> Has he ever talked about playing different irons at the bottom of the set? Is that 9i made to his single length, or played shorter? I don't think I've ever seen that in any WITB listings.

Interesting stuff in there. Also notice the wedges don't have all that crap on the heel side. Maybe the change to the lighter set up could help improve the wedge game.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

Just played my first round of the year, yesterday.

Last season I had VL Forged Tec Blacks in the bag and did well. I had a decent season but seemed struggled a bit with the longer irons. Several inconsistent rounds with them.

This year I swapped out the 5&6 irons for one length to match the 7 iron length.

I had a great day of iron play and am looking forward to playing this season with my OL 5-7 and VL in the rest of the set.

One thing I did do was order my OL 5&6 in the $-Taper 120 and have the 125s in the rest to get a slightly higher ball flight and a wee bit softer feel.

Never been so easy to hit the longer irons.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

> @roxald said:

> Just played my first round of the year, yesterday.

> Last season I had VL Forged Tec Blacks in the bag and did well. I had a decent season but seemed struggled a bit with the longer irons. Several inconsistent rounds with them.

> This year I swapped out the 5&6 irons for one length to match the 7 iron length.

> I had a great day of iron play and am looking forward to playing this season with my OL 5-7 and VL in the rest of the set.

> One thing I did do was order my OL 5&6 in the $-Taper 120 and have the 125s in the rest to get a slightly higher ball flight and a wee bit softer feel.

> Never been so easy to hit the longer irons.

> Rox

I was actually thinking the same thing. I hit the 6-G fine, but the 4 and 5 irons go awful low. I have the $-Tapers in the irons and I can hit the 4i about 220, but its 25+ in roll, which is not exactly what I"m looking for on those kind of shots usually. I was debating about ordering some C-Taper Lites for the long irons to just get a bit more launch on them, or I guess I could do some research on what graphite shafts would help fix the launch on those longer irons.

G430 LST 10.5* - G430 Max 15* - Cobra Baffler 17.5*- Sub 70 Pro 20* & 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58*  - F22

I rarely post here, but I've read all 48 pages of this and made the jump into single length by buying a set of Pinhawks 4-LW. They are not in yet, but I am really excited to get them going. Consistency has always plagued me. I am not sure if the single length sand wedge and loft wedge will survive or not, but I hope they do. Talk about making things simple.

Driver Swing

Driving Iron Swing

4-LW Swing

Hoping this is the case!

> @J-Tizzle said:

> > @roxald said:

> > Just played my first round of the year, yesterday.

> > Last season I had VL Forged Tec Blacks in the bag and did well. I had a decent season but seemed struggled a bit with the longer irons. Several inconsistent rounds with them.

> > This year I swapped out the 5&6 irons for one length to match the 7 iron length.

> > I had a great day of iron play and am looking forward to playing this season with my OL 5-7 and VL in the rest of the set.

> > One thing I did do was order my OL 5&6 in the $-Taper 120 and have the 125s in the rest to get a slightly higher ball flight and a wee bit softer feel.

> > Never been so easy to hit the longer irons.

> > Rox

>

> I was actually thinking the same thing. I hit the 6-G fine, but the 4 and 5 irons go awful low. I have the $-Tapers in the irons and I can hit the 4i about 220, but its 25+ in roll, which is not exactly what I"m looking for on those kind of shots usually. I was debating about ordering some C-Taper Lites for the long irons to just get a bit more launch on them, or I guess I could do some research on what graphite shafts would help fix the launch on those longer irons.

C-Taper Lites will launch and spin more, for sure. If possible, try to demo first. Those are two very different shafts, IMHO.

I tried a C-Taper Lite XS and didn’t get along with them. Definitely a softer feel and loose compared to the $-Tapers. I was just too inconsistent with them.

The 120s worked great as they are only slightly higher launching and very close in static weight to the 125s and the $-Tapers have a much different feel compared to the CTLs. I’ll be honest, I also tried the FTBs in the $-Taper 130’s and could not tell the difference compared to the 125s.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

> @roxald said:

> > @J-Tizzle said:

> > > @roxald said:

> > > Just played my first round of the year, yesterday.

> > > Last season I had VL Forged Tec Blacks in the bag and did well. I had a decent season but seemed struggled a bit with the longer irons. Several inconsistent rounds with them.

> > > This year I swapped out the 5&6 irons for one length to match the 7 iron length.

> > > I had a great day of iron play and am looking forward to playing this season with my OL 5-7 and VL in the rest of the set.

> > > One thing I did do was order my OL 5&6 in the $-Taper 120 and have the 125s in the rest to get a slightly higher ball flight and a wee bit softer feel.

> > > Never been so easy to hit the longer irons.

> > > Rox

> >

> > I was actually thinking the same thing. I hit the 6-G fine, but the 4 and 5 irons go awful low. I have the $-Tapers in the irons and I can hit the 4i about 220, but its 25+ in roll, which is not exactly what I"m looking for on those kind of shots usually. I was debating about ordering some C-Taper Lites for the long irons to just get a bit more launch on them, or I guess I could do some research on what graphite shafts would help fix the launch on those longer irons.

>

> C-Taper Lites will launch and spin more, for sure. If possible, try to demo first. Those are two very different shafts, IMHO.

> I tried a C-Taper Lite XS and didn’t get along with them. Definitely a softer feel and loose compared to the $-Tapers. I was just too inconsistent with them.

> The 120s worked great as they are only slightly higher launching and very close in static weight to the 125s and the $-Tapers have a much different feel compared to the CTLs. I’ll be honest, I also tried the FTBs in the $-Taper 130’s and could not tell the difference compared to the 125s.

> Rox

>

>

Thanks for the input. I'm going to do a bit of research to see if I can find a few options to try out to get the launch up. I really like the SL concept so far, so just fiddling with that top end of my bag will be biggest struggle. If I can't get it to work, I have several DI/Hybrids I can replace the 4i with if necessary, so its not a make or break for the idea for me.

> @J-Tizzle said:

> > @roxald said:

> > > @J-Tizzle said:

> > > > @roxald said:

> > > > Just played my first round of the year, yesterday.

> > > > Last season I had VL Forged Tec Blacks in the bag and did well. I had a decent season but seemed struggled a bit with the longer irons. Several inconsistent rounds with them.

> > > > This year I swapped out the 5&6 irons for one length to match the 7 iron length.

> > > > I had a great day of iron play and am looking forward to playing this season with my OL 5-7 and VL in the rest of the set.

> > > > One thing I did do was order my OL 5&6 in the $-Taper 120 and have the 125s in the rest to get a slightly higher ball flight and a wee bit softer feel.

> > > > Never been so easy to hit the longer irons.

> > > > Rox

> > >

> > > I was actually thinking the same thing. I hit the 6-G fine, but the 4 and 5 irons go awful low. I have the $-Tapers in the irons and I can hit the 4i about 220, but its 25+ in roll, which is not exactly what I"m looking for on those kind of shots usually. I was debating about ordering some C-Taper Lites for the long irons to just get a bit more launch on them, or I guess I could do some research on what graphite shafts would help fix the launch on those longer irons.

> >

> > C-Taper Lites will launch and spin more, for sure. If possible, try to demo first. Those are two very different shafts, IMHO.

> > I tried a C-Taper Lite XS and didn’t get along with them. Definitely a softer feel and loose compared to the $-Tapers. I was just too inconsistent with them.

> > The 120s worked great as they are only slightly higher launching and very close in static weight to the 125s and the $-Tapers have a much different feel compared to the CTLs. I’ll be honest, I also tried the FTBs in the $-Taper 130’s and could not tell the difference compared to the 125s.

> > Rox

> >

> >

>

> Thanks for the input. I'm going to do a bit of research to see if I can find a few options to try out to get the launch up. I really like the SL concept so far, so just fiddling with that top end of my bag will be biggest struggle. If I can't get it to work, I have several DI/Hybrids I can replace the 4i with if necessary, so its not a make or break for the idea for me.

Also, my 4i is actually the F9, so its a different beast anyways. I wanted it to act more like a driving iron/tee shot club, than necessarily a 2nd shot club. So if it feels/acts a bit different, I can probably live with it.

Last September, after testing the Cobra Forged, Cobra Max, Cobra F8 and Edel one length irons, I bought the following set:

4i-6i Cobra F8 OL graphite (UST 460 Recoil), regular flex, midsize grip

7i-GW Cobra F8 OL steel (stock TT fighted), regular flex, midsize grip

Really enjoying the clubs. Very easy to hit. Very easy to play after a layoff.

Gift ideas?  Products I have tested.

Havent posted in a while but have managed to get in the first few rounds of the year.

I have been playing single length for 4 or 5 years now (pinhawks, then sterlings) and I maintain that I will never go back.

There are only two occasions where I occasionally get frustrated with these:

* they still feel a little light when trying to manufacture a chi-pitch sometimes.

* I still occasionally try to make a 4i swing instead of a 7i swing.

Comfort brings trust, trust brings consistency, consistency drops indexes.

> @"irish pete" said:

> I rarely post here, but I've read all 48 pages of this and made the jump into single length by buying a set of Pinhawks 4-LW. They are not in yet, but I am really excited to get them going. Consistency has always plagued me. I am not sure if the single length sand wedge and loft wedge will survive or not, but I hope they do. Talk about making things simple.

>

> Driver Swing

> Driving Iron Swing

> 4-LW Swing

>

> Hoping this is the case!

I started with Pinhawks ~5 years ago and I did like them very much, I even played their woods a while. In fact I built a new set of Pinhawks for someone just last summer.

I've always been pretty dependent on my LW for short game, mainly because its the club I use to fritter about in the back yard.

When I went to single length I stayed with my traditional length GW, SW & LW - they were basically matched length anyways, though not matched weight. After a year I tried fully matching wedges and it was ...okay. Eventually I realized that I use GW & SW for full swing WAY more than short game so I went to matched 4i-SW. I actually saw better results in my index pretty quickly. I still carry a 'traditional' LW and use it for almost all of my short game (and full swing) though.

Comfort brings trust, trust brings consistency, consistency drops indexes.

> @nikuk said:

> > @"irish pete" said:

> > I rarely post here, but I've read all 48 pages of this and made the jump into single length by buying a set of Pinhawks 4-LW. They are not in yet, but I am really excited to get them going. Consistency has always plagued me. I am not sure if the single length sand wedge and loft wedge will survive or not, but I hope they do. Talk about making things simple.

> >

> > Driver Swing

> > Driving Iron Swing

> > 4-LW Swing

> >

> > Hoping this is the case!

>

> I started with Pinhawks ~5 years ago and I did like them very much, I even played their woods a while. In fact I built a new set of Pinhawks for someone just last summer.

>

> I've always been pretty dependent on my LW for short game, mainly because its the club I use to fritter about in the back yard.

> When I went to single length I stayed with my traditional length GW, SW & LW - they were basically matched length anyways, though not matched weight. After a year I tried fully matching wedges and it was ...okay. Eventually I realized that I use GW & SW for full swing WAY more than short game so I went to matched 4i-SW. I actually saw better results in my index pretty quickly. I still carry a 'traditional' LW and use it for almost all of my short game (and full swing) though.

The LW was the club that took the mental block off my mind the other day at the range. Finally swung it normal and flushed it right at the target. I immediately grabbed my 4 iron and put the exact same swing on it. Flush contact and launched right at my target.

I also think these clubs will go hand in hand with rule of 12 chipping, so I’m going to try and make these wedges work as well.

Man the SL hybrid is so weird that it's awesome. Super easy to hit! I have the F8 19* with stock Rogue shaft. While it's high and straight it does seem to lack quite a bit of distance as compared to my Apex 2019 19* hybrid. Anyone have a SL hybrid and either gone to a heavier shaft or added lead tape to increase weight and perhaps distance?

Titleist Tsi3 8* HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX

Callaway Epic Flash FW 17* PX HZRDUS Smoke
Callaway Apex Pro Hybrid 19* Ventus Blue
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL GW KBS $ Taper
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56*/10* DG Spinner
Callaway Mack Daddy PM 60*/12* KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Byron Morgan DH89
Taylormade TP5x

Still rocking the SL Sterlings...

6-G Sterlings (refinished raw) 54-58-62 SM5 (Black Ox) - All clubs with recoils, oversized Winn grips, and playing at 36.4"

I jump to stock VL Cobra F8 King 4 hybrid and 5 wood and then a trimmed down and heavier weighted G30 driver (nothing seems to beat it).

I have one open spot for the 5 iron (and area I usually have trouble) which I think I'll fill with another Cobra hybrid.

What I loved was the start of the season.... it took 1/2 a bucket and I felt I picked up right where I left off.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

> @9woodfan said:

> Still rocking the SL Sterlings...

> 6-G Sterlings (refinished raw) 54-58-62 SM5 (Black Ox) - All clubs with recoils, oversized Winn grips, and playing at 36.4"

> I jump to stock VL Cobra F8 King 4 hybrid and 5 wood and then a trimmed down and heavier weighted G30 driver (nothing seems to beat it).

> I have one open spot for the 5 iron (and area I usually have trouble) which I think I'll fill with another Cobra hybrid.

> What I loved was the start of the season.... it took 1/2 a bucket and I felt I picked up right where I left off.

Glad to hear you are liking your Sterlings. I'm just starting out on my journey... like you, the 5i is probably not going to make the cut...I am not convinced I have the right shafts. They feel a bit "dead" to me.....I may return to the fitter later in the summer and see what he has to say.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

> @9woodfan said:

> Still rocking the SL Sterlings...

> 6-G Sterlings (refinished raw) 54-58-62 SM5 (Black Ox) - All clubs with recoils, oversized Winn grips, and playing at 36.4"

> I jump to stock VL Cobra F8 King 4 hybrid and 5 wood and then a trimmed down and heavier weighted G30 driver (nothing seems to beat it).

> I have one open spot for the 5 iron (and area I usually have trouble) which I think I'll fill with another Cobra hybrid.

> What I loved was the start of the season.... it took 1/2 a bucket and I felt I picked up right where I left off.

Agree about picking up right where you leave off. I am 3 yrs in, added the 5 iron and LW this year to my sterling set, no plans to change as my "misses" have never been better.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

> @boggyman said:

> Anybody have OL with Px shafts in them? Currently playing OL F8s with graphite but the Px is my favorite. Curious because I’m seriously considering ordering a set, loving the OL Cobras!

> @boggyman said:

> Anybody have OL with Px shafts in them? Currently playing OL F8s with graphite but the Px is my favorite. Curious because I’m seriously considering ordering a set, loving the OL Cobras!

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - Mitsubishi Tensei Raw White 6s

4w Cobra F6 Baffler - Evenflow RED 6.0 75g

DI - Cobra One Utility - Paderson SLS 110 shaft

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - Elevate 95g Stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

> @boggyman said:

I do. I have Edel SLS 4-PW set with PX 5.5.

I play them at 36” for pw-7i, 36.5” 6-4i

No issues with flight, spins a tad much but overall switching to the PX has made it tha much more consistent. I started with the Paterson shafts but I never liked the feel. Switched to recoil 110’s and flight/launch was all over the place along with dispersion. Went to PX and I’m in the sweet spot now.

• Like 1

Driver - Titleist TSi2 8* - Mitsubishi Tensei Raw White 6s

4w Cobra F6 Baffler - Evenflow RED 6.0 75g

DI - Cobra One Utility - Paderson SLS 110 shaft

5-GW PXG Gen4 XP - Elevate 95g Stiff

50* Cleveland Zipcore full face - TI S400

56* Tmag Big Foot - TI S400

Taylormade Tour Spider Silver  

> @artica said:

>

> > @boggyman said:

> > Anybody have OL with Px shafts in them? Currently playing OL F8s with graphite but the Px is my favorite. Curious because I’m seriously considering ordering a set, loving the OL Cobras!

>

> I do. I have Edel SLS 4-PW set with PX 5.5.

> I play them at 36” for pw-7i, 36.5” 6-4i

> No issues with flight, spins a tad much but overall switching to the PX has made it tha much more consistent. I started with the Paterson shafts but I never liked the feel. Switched to recoil 110’s and flight/launch was all over the place along with dispersion. Went to PX and I’m in the sweet spot now.

I do as well. PX 6.0. I use the shafts to try and bring the flight down (along with a 36.5" playing length) on my higher-lofted clubs, and hybrids to get some height back on the lower end.

I love em.

• Like 1

Thanks. > @artica said:

>

> > @boggyman said:

> > Anybody have OL with Px shafts in them? Currently playing OL F8s with graphite but the Px is my favorite. Curious because I’m seriously considering ordering a set, loving the OL Cobras!

>

> No issues with flight, spins a tad much but overall switching to the PX has made it tha much more consistent. I started with the Paterson shafts but I never liked the feel. Switched to recoil 110’s and flight/launch was all over the place along with dispersion. Went to PX and I’m in the sweet spot now.

> @artica said:

>

> > @boggyman said:

>

Thanks. > @Noke said:

> > @artica said:

> >

> > > @boggyman said:

> > > Anybody have OL with Px shafts in them? Currently playing OL F8s with graphite but the Px is my favorite. Curious because I’m seriously considering ordering a set, loving the OL Cobras!

> >

> > I do. I have Edel SLS 4-PW set with PX 5.5.

> > I play them at 36” for pw-7i, 36.5” 6-4i

> > No issues with flight, spins a tad much but overall switching to the PX has made it tha much more consistent. I started with the Paterson shafts but I never liked the feel. Switched to recoil 110’s and flight/launch was all over the place along with dispersion. Went to PX and I’m in the sweet spot now.

>

> I do as well. PX 6.0. I use the shafts to try and bring the flight down (along with a 36.5" playing length) on my higher-lofted clubs, and hybrids to get some height back on the lower end.

>

> I love em.

>

>

>

>

• 3 weeks later...

Question... I currently use a King Utility (the standard chrome version) that I cut/weighted to match my Cobra Forged One set. I've never looked into having the loft/lie checked to adjust to the length change.

I'm considering switching it out for one of the following as my 3 iron (19*):

Cobra Forged Tec Black One-Length 3 iron

Cobra King Utility Black One-Length 2-3 iron

Has anyone hit both? Which is easier to hit? How do the distances compare?

Quick update on my sl journey. I preordered the Cobra ftb ones last year. I have shot my lowest scores ever with them. But i still had a 2 way miss and a bad primary left miss. I got fit at my course for mizunos (thats all they sell), on the optimizer. The shaft i was fit into has virtually eliminated my left miss. I tied my career low of 70 yesterday. I think the cobras are going on ebay. If anyone is interested, i have the 4 and 5 hybrid, 5-pw, gw, and 56sw. They're great irons and have no problem playing them or sl, but seeing the difference the shaft makes I'm sold on the mizunos just because of shafts.

• Like 1

BTW, forgot to post that I set a new personal best last Saturday with my Forged One's... 76. I was 1 over through 17, then imploded with a triple bogey on 18.

• Like 2