2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Who is on Thousand Greens? You like it?

I'm there and have hosted once, but haven't utilized it yet for myself. Primarily because they are heavy in the UK and US primarily, I guess Australia as well.

1. Who is on there?

2. Have you hosted/been hosted yet?

3. What is your feedback?

I think it is an ingenious idea that Manish (developer) came up with by linking the players of private clubs using a pretty good system. Now they have OC like tournaments across the country at top courses and social events as well. Kudos to TG and should only increase from here in it's usefulness. 3,000 members presently in about a year.

I'm on there too. It seems to depend on the club. Some have members that have a lot of availability and others seem to have members that aren't available much. I've had more success going through my pro. My club happens to have over 30 members on the site and one of them usually accepts requests before I even get the chance.

> @Dancin said:

> I'm on there too. It seems to depend on the club. Some have members that have a lot of availability and others seem to have members that aren't available much. I've had more success going through my pro. My club happens to have over 30 members on the site and one of them usually accepts requests before I even get the chance.

Interesting, because I think they have a function where those who haven't accepted to host yet are given 24 hours to accept before opening to the rest. Actually I looked up the FAQ and it states:

**What happens when a request is made (the workflow is a bit kludgy because of limitations of working across email and web, so please read carefully) :

1. A system generated email or an SMS message is automatically sent to all members of the requested club. The message first goes to all hosts that have not yet accepted a request. After a 24 hour delay, it goes to the remaining members. **

1. I'm on it.

2. I've both hosted a few times and been hosted.

3. I think it's a good concept, but feel like it's going to get bogged in execution. The tiering system doesn't adequately address the pyramid of club desirability and pressure; and as noted above, it's going to get challenging when you have single clubs with a lot of TG members.

> @"Schley " said:

> > @Dancin said:

> > I'm on there too. It seems to depend on the club. Some have members that have a lot of availability and others seem to have members that aren't available much. I've had more success going through my pro. My club happens to have over 30 members on the site and one of them usually accepts requests before I even get the chance.

>

> Interesting, because I think they have a function where those who haven't accepted to host yet are given 24 hours to accept before opening to the rest. Actually I looked up the FAQ and it states:

>

> **What happens when a request is made (the workflow is a bit kludgy because of limitations of working across email and web, so please read carefully) :

>

> 1. A system generated email or an SMS message is automatically sent to all members of the requested club. The message first goes to all hosts that have not yet accepted a request. After a 24 hour delay, it goes to the remaining members. **

Yes. The club's in the middle of nowhere thus we only get about 3 requests a year so it'll be 10 years before those 30+ members have all accepted one. The requests usually get accepted within the first hour or two by someone.

> @Dancin said:

> I'm on there too. It seems to depend on the club. Some have members that have a lot of availability and others seem to have members that aren't available much. I've had more success going through my pro. My club happens to have over 30 members on the site and one of them usually accepts requests before I even get the chance.

I think this is one place where TG maybe has the model right. For an out-of-the-way but highly regarded club, members will probably have to open their "offer" to all of the tiers to generate enough interest to get people going to the club (and generate tokens for that member to use). In that way, TG can generate net new opportunities for its members that they otherwise could not access, and I think that's a positive thing for the network - and for golf.

• 5 months later...

I’m on it but don’t see the value for people in the lowest two tiers. System doesn’t allow you to request play outside your tier so your stuck requesting play at courses you probably already have access to or courses your not going to spend time traveling to. Also, people at the top tiers can only open up one level down so people in the lowest level will never see offers from a top tier destination club.

> @wullz said:

> I’m on it but don’t see the value for people in the lowest two tiers. System doesn’t allow you to request play outside your tier so your stuck requesting play at courses you probably already have access to or courses your not going to spend time traveling to. Also, people at the top tiers can only open up one level down so people in the lowest level will never see offers from a top tier destination club.

Top tiers can open up two levels down, but yeah if you're olive you'll never see a fern offer, but if you post a message on the discussion boards for a course without an offer, sometimes people will respond.

> @wullz said:

> I’m on it but don’t see the value for people in the lowest two tiers. System doesn’t allow you to request play outside your tier so your stuck requesting play at courses you probably already have access to or courses your not going to spend time traveling to.

I guess the grass is always greener...I’m in a high tier and I feel like all the value is in the lower two tiers.

The fundamental issue is that if you see the “value” of TG as giving you “access” to courses, it doesn’t work that way for anybody because of the tiering. There’s nowhere on TG that I can’t get access to in some traditional way.

What it does do is connect you with like minded players and fun rounds at courses you might not play. I used to rarely bring my clubs on work travel because setting up a round at a decent course was a big enough hassle that I just didn’t bother. With TG, I almost always bring my clubs and have a great away game wherever I go.

>@wulz said:

>Also, people at the top tiers can only open up one level down so people in the lowest level will never see offers from a top tier destination club.

Not true. You can open yourself up as far down the levels as you want. But I can barely handle the request volume that I get from my own tier, let alone the flood that would come if I opened to lower tiers. What I do a fair amount is that if I accept a single player from my own tier, I’ll open up the other two spots in the foursome as an “offer” to all tiers.

> @wullz said:

> I’m on it but don’t see the value for people in the lowest two tiers. System doesn’t allow you to request play outside your tier so your stuck requesting play at courses you probably already have access to or courses your not going to spend time traveling to. Also, people at the top tiers can only open up one level down so people in the lowest level will never see offers from a top tier destination club.

What do you expect? It is a free platform and allows like tiers to request/accept. There was nothing other than your pro/network before so what exactly do you think are realistic expectations? Just because you are on TG, you should have a way to play Merion, Oakmont, LACC or it doesn't have value? A shortsighted view of the benefits. Don't forget they have also partnered with the OC to offer events at top places as well, which gives access for lower tiers as well.

Personally I cringe when I see someone on the discussion board/bubble asking for someone to host them at a top 20 club. It basically deliberately circumvents the process that TG already has in place. The Fern tier gets inundated with requests and usually just a couple / few guys at those clubs so let's lower our expectations IMO and be happy that it offers what it offers.

• Like 2

> @"Schley " said:

> Personally I cringe when I see someone on the discussion board/bubble asking for someone to host them at a top 20 club. It basically deliberately circumvents the process that TG already has in place.

Agree. It’s a minor (but real) annoyance when guys post on the forum/bubble something like “Can anybody help with Winged Foot” as though there is some bug in the system that is making their request not work...

• Like 1

> @raynorfan1 said:

> > @"Schley " said:

> > Personally I cringe when I see someone on the discussion board/bubble asking for someone to host them at a top 20 club. It basically deliberately circumvents the process that TG already has in place.

>

> Agree. It’s a minor (but real) annoyance when guys post on the forum/bubble something like “Can anybody help with Winged Foot” as though there is some bug in the system that is making their request not work...

>

so much of this. it's really annoying to see people using the bubble group & forum in this way, but there's no way for TG's founder to regulate it. said mediums should be reserved for questions like "i have time for 1 round in city ABC, should i play course X or course Y?"

• Like 1

> @ButterCutter2 said:

> > @raynorfan1 said:

> > > @"Schley " said:

> > > Personally I cringe when I see someone on the discussion board/bubble asking for someone to host them at a top 20 club. It basically deliberately circumvents the process that TG already has in place.

> >

> > Agree. It’s a minor (but real) annoyance when guys post on the forum/bubble something like “Can anybody help with Winged Foot” as though there is some bug in the system that is making their request not work...

> >

>

>said mediums should be reserved for questions like "i have time for 1 round in city ABC, should i play course X or course Y?"

Even then, I feel like it’s a setup.

“Oh, hey I’m going to be in Florida for a couple of days, should I play Streamsong or World Woods? ... oooooh, I just realized that Calusa Pines is just around the bend, can anybody help me out with that? I’d also be willing to drive to Seminole, if anybody can set me up with that...”

I belong to multiple clubs and joined it a while back. I have always gotten an avalanche of requests around here during the winter but the vast majority are during the week. Since I have, you know, a job, I can't accommodate those. I have been muting it for the last year because any golf travel I'm doing is targeted and if I actually have time to play at one of my clubs it is with friends on a weekend. If I were retired I'd probably like it a lot more.

> @az2au said:

>Since I have, you know, a job, I can't accommodate those. I have been muting it for the last year because any golf travel I'm doing is targeted and if I actually have time to play at one of my clubs it is with friends on a weekend. If I were retired I'd probably like it a lot more.

A job! This is golf! Get your priorities in order man!

• Like 1

I've been on it close to a year now. I've sent 1 request out never got a response and have had 2 requests for my club but they were during the work week and wasn't going to take a vacation day to play my own course with a stranger

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

> @raynorfan1 said:

> > @ButterCutter2 said:

> > > @raynorfan1 said:

> > > > @"Schley " said:

> > > > Personally I cringe when I see someone on the discussion board/bubble asking for someone to host them at a top 20 club. It basically deliberately circumvents the process that TG already has in place.

> > >

> > > Agree. It’s a minor (but real) annoyance when guys post on the forum/bubble something like “Can anybody help with Winged Foot” as though there is some bug in the system that is making their request not work...

> > >

> >

> >said mediums should be reserved for questions like "i have time for 1 round in city ABC, should i play course X or course Y?"

>

> Even then, I feel like it’s a setup.

>

> “Oh, hey I’m going to be in Florida for a couple of days, should I play Streamsong or World Woods? ... oooooh, I just realized that Calusa Pines is just around the bend, can anybody help me out with that? I’d also be willing to drive to Seminole, if anybody can set me up with that...”

i can tell you i've posed ?s like this once or twice in the bubble chat and have always done it as between course X & course Y, not with the intention for someone to throw out the top 100 Course Z that's driving distance for me to go play instead. then again, i see your point and can only speak for myself. would love to see the TG Founder regulate those who try to circumvent the system by booting them off of it.

We agree on those circumventing the premise of the site itself, also an unsurprising party line is that every time someone posts a photo or talks about any club at all it is always "amazing" or "special". I can understand that guys don't want to offend others who maybe members at course XYZ, but for frank discussion on golf courses I use GCA as some of the courses referenced are no where close to amazing. Good to have someone host you and perhaps had a great day playing together, but certainly not every course is amazing or special.

> @"Schley " said:

> We agree on those circumventing the premise of the site itself, also an unsurprising party line is that every time someone posts a photo or talks about any club at all it is always "amazing" or "special". I can understand that guys don't want to offend others who maybe members at course XYZ, but for frank discussion on golf courses I use GCA as some of the courses referenced are no where close to amazing. Good to have someone host you and perhaps had a great day playing together, but certainly not every course is amazing or special.

I think that’s a side effect of the site. It’s in nobody’s interest to have a “frank” discussion of golf courses in a forum that relies on the goodwill of members to operate.

Almost on que someone just posted: "Heading to Naples during the week of November 5 and was looking to see if anyone could help with getting on Calusa Pines."

Really love the site itself, idea, concept and implementation had been great. Really my only issue has been requests like those above.

It's a free platform and it's success has been meteorical to have as much activity and users. I just wish it the off platform solicitations would stop. However it is a small byproduct compared to 1kg success.

> @"Schley " said:

> Almost on que someone just posted: "Heading to Naples during the week of November 5 and was looking to see if anyone could help with getting on Calusa Pines."

>

> Really love the site itself, idea, concept and implementation had been great. Really my only issue has been requests like those above.

>

> It's a free platform and it's success has been meteorical to have as much activity and users. I just wish it the off platform solicitations would stop. However it is a small byproduct compared to 1kg success.

It is nice that you can click on the person posting a message and see all their past posts. That Naples guy has a habit of doing it over and over for different areas. If he at least said I'm from X club and have researched X course and these are the reasons why I would really like to play it etc... and put more than someone help me get on X it would at least look a little better.

Regardless, I don't see it as that big an issue other than it pretty much means the discussion board is never going to have many interesting conversations on it; since, there will be too many help me out with x posts. There's more than enough other discussion board sites for good golf discussions.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/17/2019 at 7:41 PM, Schley said:

Almost on que someone just posted: "Heading to Naples during the week of November 5 and was looking to see if anyone could help with getting on Calusa Pines."

Really love the site itself, idea, concept and implementation had been great. Really my only issue has been requests like those above.

It's a free platform and it's success has been meteorical to have as much activity and users. I just wish it the off platform solicitations would stop. However it is a small byproduct compared to 1kg success.

Jeff,

I stop using the message board / bubble for that reason.  Don't let that bother you, just stop using that feature.

I have hosted and have been hosted using TG, I think it is a great concept, especially since the owner of the site is doing this for free.  I am sure this takes a lot of time and money to keep this running.