WHAT'S YOUR HIDDEN GEM? Submit your favorite "hidden gem" golf courses (less than $50)

• 3 weeks later...

Olde Mill

Laurel Fork, VA

Price: $39-49 ($65 on Saturdays during peak season)

https://oldemill.net/golf/course-details/

Pictures at website address. I try to make it here 1-2 times per year. One of my favorite mountain courses at a great price.

Cobra King F7, Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.0

Cobra King F7 4wd, Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0

Cobra King F7 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.0

Mizuno JPX919 HMP 5-PW, AMT White S300

Vokey SM8, 48.10F/54.14F/60.08M, Stock shafts

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S 34"

I don't play public courses as much as I used too, but I have relatives in Columbus Ohio and used to visit often, and remember my grandfather taking me to this course way back in the 1970s and played it many times after that, always thought it was a bit of a hidden gem:

Course Name: Denison Golf Club (used to be called Granville GC IIRC)

City, State: Granville, OH

Price Range: looks like $32 in the afternoon, 48 before noon, weekends 5-10$ more

Course Website: https://www.denisongolfclub.com/golf-course/

A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!): An old Donald Ross course, I remember it being a pretty good example of Ross' style, it looks like Denison Univerity now owns it. Here is a tour of the course https://www.denisongolfclub.com/course-tour/

I just remember it being very fun to play, not overly long, but reviews I see are it still is nice and in good shape. Any central Ohio WRX'ers played here recently?

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Ping G410  7 wood set at 19, Tensei Orange

Srixon ZX 4 MKii 4 iron, ZX 5 MKii 5,6 irons  ZX7 MKii  7-PW KBS TGI 90

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Max 16 CB, 39 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Monroe Country Club in Monroe, NC. Its public. Usually is $45 or less. Always in excellent condition. Probably is, its not the most convenient course to get to if you live in Charlotte.

Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS 9*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

• 2 weeks later...

> @MaxBuck said:

> JMG_02 wrote:

>

>

> * Course Name: Apple Valley Golf Club

>

> * City, State: Howard, OH

>

> * Price Range: $29-45 Weekday vs Weekend

>

> * Course Website: https://www.applevalleygolfcourse.com/

>

> * A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!):

>

> * The course condition compared to cost is just crazy. Perfect bent fairways and greens. Always in incredible shape, smooth fast greens.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I really need to play Apple Valley before I leave the area.

Wow, the first picture I was thinking that place needs some renovation to thin out those trees but then that second picture stole my heart, what a perfectly framed Par 3. I travel to Ohio often and may have to look up this place if I am close.

Corballis Links in Donabate Ireland about 20 minutes outside of Dublin City Centre is a true links that costs 20 Euro. It's one of the best values in Ireland. The course has 10 par 4's, 7 par 3's and one par 5. For a course with 7 par 3's it has great variety and requires accuracy off the tee when the wind is up.

Course website: [corballislinks.com/](http://corballislinks.com/ "corballislinks.com/")

Here are photos from a round a few days ago and a link to a complete photo tour: Corballis Links

1vghchx7zzif.jpg

wk0cn5k1lze5.jpg

87wrtmncce9d.jpg

p3e4usm69ayo.jpg

u4pisivtl98c.jpg

j4owe3dqjjkp.jpg

gwmhl35m5sxi.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

> @JMG_02 said:

> * Course Name: Apple Valley Golf Club

>

> * City, State: Howard, OH

>

> * Price Range: $29-45 Weekday vs Weekend

>

> * Course Website: https://www.applevalleygolfcourse.com/

>

> * A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!):

>

> * The course condition compared to cost is just crazy. Perfect bent fairways and greens. Always in incredible shape, smooth fast greens.

I love Apple, by far purest course you'll play for under $50. The greens and fairways are always immaculate.

• 2 months later...

> @Chrischo555 said:

> In my opinion, The Highlands of Elgin Golf Course is one of the best public golf courses in the Chicagoland area. It's a great links style course with a decent amount of slope (which is almost impossible to find in Chicago). From the back tees, there are par 4s ranging from 310 yards to 470 (with a 260-270yd forced carry) and par 3s ranging from 140-240. The greens are also very fun as they have a nice amount of undulation and are well maintained. In my experience there, the greens usually run at about a 10 on the stimp.* Course Name: The Highlands of Elgin Golf course

>

> * City, State: Elgin, Illinois

>

> * Price Range: $43-$54 (but there are always Golf Now times available at $30-$40)

>

> * Course Website: https://highlandsofelgin.com/https://highlandsofelgin.com/

I completely agree. The Highlands is by far one the best values. I would have never expected such a nice course in the Chicago area at such a reasonable rate.

> @sabram said:

> Corballis Links in Donabate Ireland about 20 minutes outside of Dublin City Centre is a true links that costs 20 Euro. It's one of the best values in Ireland. The course has 10 par 4's, 7 par 3's and one par 5. For a course with 7 par 3's it has great variety and requires accuracy off the tee when the wind is up.

>

> Course website: [corballislinks.com/](http://corballislinks.com/ "corballislinks.com/")

+1

Corballis is what Strandhill used to be until they jacked the green fee way up.

Happy Hockey

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Near us here in NorCal, right over the hills in NV...Sunridge GC in Carson City. Love this course. Amazing views. Course is in good shape (at worst). Interesting layout with lots of challenge. Beautiful high-dessert deal. Took another boys' trip over there this weekend and had a blast playing this place...

Very inexpensive.

[https://playsunridge.com/](https://www.playsunridge.com/ "https://playsunridge.com/")

• 3 weeks later...

Course Name: Mules NationalCity, State: Warrensburg, MissouriPrice Range: $15-$19Course Website: https://www.mulesnational.com/A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!): Recently renovated, university owned and operated course in the heart of Missouri. It's not so much a "hidden" gem to those in the area, but since the renovation it's really become a gem that not so many people appreciate. The new greens and layout really maximize the property that they have to work with. And for the price, you honestly cannot beat it. Only an hour from Kansas City, too. And the 18th hole is a medium length island green par three that finishes right in front of the clubhouse patio. A great spot to finish up and watch shots come in over drinks.

• 2 weeks later...

Valley View Golf CourseLayton Utah (30 mn north of downtown SLC)Price Range-9 holes:$16 18 holes:$32 to walk- add a few bucks more for a cartCourse website: http://valleyviewutah.comThis is an incredible golf course set at the base of the Wasatch Mountains with views (deer all over the place, fantastic elevation changes, mountains, valley's, lakes and more) that are only matched by one great golf hole after another. A true no frills muni in middle of a housing development that is as good as it gets. My nephew took me there about 10 years ago and I had never heard of it even though my family comes from the area and my great grandfather was the mayor and county Dr 130 years ago. He promised me I wouldn't be disappointed and he was right. This is the 2nd golf course where I said the words "I can't believe there is a golf course here" The other place was LA North in West LA. Utah has some of the best hidden gems in the west and Valley View is at the top of the list. A few years ago, a friend said "Lets go to Myrtle Beach" I said, "lets go to Utah, you guys will not believe how good it is and how cheap it is." 8 of us spent a week up there and to this day guys will say "Valley View, wow, that was a great track. When are we going back?"

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

Old Brockway Golf Course - Tahoe Vista, CA

Right in my back yard. Love this little 9 hole course that is the original home of what would become the pebble beach pro am.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

haha, I play Sunridge on the regular. It is an interesting course. The front is much better than the back. The back gets a bit funky once you get up on the hill.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Course name: Emporium Country Club

City, state: Emporium, Pa (north Central PA)

Price: ~$40 including cart

Description: it is definitely one of the best maintained courses in the northern tier area. Its set on the side of a mountain and plays well with the hills while not just going up and down. An open front 9 and a real tight start to the back. It has a couple of drivable par 4s if you're longer but also 2 nicely long par 5s.

WKJEAPA900YS.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Course Name:Links at Spring ChurchCity, StateSpring Church, PA (30 minutes North of Pittsburgh)Price Range$44 for 18/cart on Weekends and Holidays. $34 on Weekdays.Course Websitewww.playthelinks.comA brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!):A fantastic mosty-links style course in southwestern PA that sometimes gets overshadowed by a few more notable local courses. Half the price of others, and always kept in absolutely pristine condition. The course is challenging, but an absolute joy to experience, even if playing poorly! Staff are very friendly (pictures courtesy of Google, because I try to leave the phone in the bag!)

B98PQNIDP7OF.png

6YTN9MXJVD2D.jpg

A3QOM0XS9RSV.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Course Name:Langdon FarmsCity, StateAurora, Oregon (30 minutes South of Portland, OR)Price Range$18 (twilight) $50 walking for 18Course Websitehttps://langdonfarms.com/A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!):This course is straight forward northwest golf, big trees, subtlety to the greens making putting fun/interesting, gorgeous colors in the summer and early fall. This course is directly next to I-5 which makes a few holes (1, 2, 10, 11, 16, 17) loud with high speed traffic; if the I-5 was not right next to the course layout, the course conditions rival the private courses in the Portland area. Previous superintendent Nolan Wenker did a ton of work on drainage in 2014-2017 over the years to allow a course that plays well year round. He is now at Oswego Lake, with Stephen Purdy taking over Langdon now. Very playable for all levels of player, and hands down a top 5 course in the Portland area. There is a fun little putting course to drink a beer after your round, which I have never rolled a ball on.

Langdon-Farms-Scorecard.jpg

Langdon-Farms-15-2-1000x630.jpg

Langdon-Farms-9-6.jpg

Langdon-Farms-2-1-717x430.jpg

Langdon-Farms-8-1.jpg

AF1QipNkT6iElFTmHZy0blAv3OX0nwgVlwthcJIV6APt=w660-h440-c

• Like 1

Course Name: San Clemente Municipal Golf ClubCity, State: San Clemente, CAPrice Range: $48 to walk on weekendsCourse Website: I'm too new to post links - Google it.A brief description of why you think it's a hidden gem (and please include a photo if you have one!):Orange County, CA golf is absolutely brutal in terms of pricing - you're pretty much paying $80 to play anywhere even semi-decent. But the San Clemente Muni is, in my opinion, the best value in the county. Doesn't get anywhere near as overcrowded as most Munis in the area, and course is very well maintained with great coverage on fairways and greens. While I'd say the front 9 is pretty straightforward, the back 9 has some really fun, tricky holes (especially 13-16) with some great elevation changes and some stunning ocean views (especially from #15). The greens have some local idiosyncrasies which it takes some getting used to - everything pulls wayyyy towards the ocean so you'll have putts you swear are going to break one way and they literally do the opposite.