Thoughts on EVNROLL putters

cjnevins

I putted really well with my ER8 the past 3 seasons. Just bought an ER5 because sometimes you need to switch it up and you just need to look at something different.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

> @cjnevins said:

> > @JDFish do you think his technology works?

>

>

It is so hard to tell because I don't video putting to see where on the face I roll the ball. MGS says it does. I find the Evnroll putters to be the most solid feeling putters I have used - ranging from Odysseys to Scotty Camerons. I have also tried the new Spider X and SeeMore and they don't feel as solid to me or putt as good of a roll on it.

Callaway UW 21 *

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

I like looking down at a wide blade so when I decide to make a putter change this winter tried the Odyssey’ 1W, Evnroll ER2, Ping Kushin and Scotty Squareback. Then I tried and feel in love with the Rife Switchback XL. 304 Stainless provide a great finish sets up nice behind the ball. Those original Rife grooves still get a ball rolling smoothly in a hurry. I appreciate the weight options available for this putter and the ease of making those changes. Add bonus found it at RBG for $150.00.

veklwch1xonw.jpeg

koy1ks0rgz06.jpeg

hpexgl7qa5ax.jpeg

8b8qb4qxvkqu.jpeg

• Like 1

I've honestly never noticed a big difference in one putter's roll vs another. Can't help you there.

I do like how my ER5 lines up and the feel is great. I have a lot of confidence with it. It's pushed a handful of beautiful Byron Morgan's to the bench for over a year now. Everything I like about putters is in those Byron's. But when it comes time to play a round I can't help but grab the Evnroll.

Evnroll grooves. Guerin Rife has founded multiple putter companies in his life. Ever time he does he has a similar set of head shapes and a new groove design. Straight then Wavy now Tapered and they all worked great for some group of players, based on the many reviews I’ve read before selecting the Switchback XL. If it works for you use it. If you’re that worried about off center hits with your putter spend sometime on the gate drill and improve your impact point. Sometimes it’s not the bow or the arrow but the archer.

Grooves and inserts on putters are (to me) silly. If the putter is set up correctly for your stroke, or if you work on your stroke a little bit, it's possible to get a ball to start on the line you intend rolling end-over-end without grooves or hinges or whatever.

> @Nebraska said:

> If you’re that worried about off center hits with your putter spend sometime on the gate drill and improve your impact point.

Bingo. I like the cut or your jib.

TSi3 9.0 (A4)  Tensei Raw Blue 65 Stiff 

TS2 15 (B1) Project X Even Flow White 75 6.0
TS3 19 (C4) Project X Even Flow White 90 6.0
i59 4-W DG 120 S300
Glide Forged Pro (52/56/60) DG 120 S300
Scotty Cameron 009m and Tour Newport 
Pro V1x Yellow 

Good putters. Weight is modified based on length to maintain proper swingweight. The heads are a bit heavy, but they also counter balance by adding weight in the grip end to also keep swingweight at d7. A lot of thought went into these putters.

Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5 (-1), Ventus Black 6s
Cobra F7 3 Wood
Titleist 718 TMB 2 iron 17*

Adams TI Hybrid 20* and 23*
Srixon zx5 4-5, zx7 6-pw, s300, 2* flat

Vokey SM6 50f12
Vokey SM7 54s10

Mizuno T10 60

Odyssey White Hot #1 (2006)

> @JDFish said:

> I putted really well with my ER8 the past 3 seasons. Just bought an ER5 because sometimes you need to switch it up and you just need to look at something different.

My take on putter is that you treat it like your wife. Once in a while, you wanna go on a hot date.. but after few rounds..! you always go back home.

I use the ER2, and the ER5B. They are some  of the best putters that I have owned. I had camerons, odyssey, ping, they do work, but Evnroll is better for me. As always, YMMV.

Edited by puttingmatt

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I returned my evnroll ER5 after 2 rounds. I do think it keeps putts online from off centered strokes, but I hated the sound of the putter . Also it was a very slow roll. I had to put a firmer stroke on the ball with this over anything else ive played. Of course it would take an adjustment period, but the 2 rounds I left EVERYTHING short

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

> @JoeFrigo said:

> I returned my evnroll ER5 after 2 rounds. I do think it keeps putts online from off centered strokes, but I hated the sound of the putter . Also it was a very slow roll. I had to put a firmer stroke on the ball with this over anything else ive played. Of course it would take an adjustment period, but the 2 rounds I left EVERYTHING short

I've had a similar experience with my ER5 so far - long putts have been left short, sometimes by a lot. I'm hoping that with drier, faster greens and a little more time with the putter my putting will improve - if not, it'll be back to my ER8.

Callaway UW 21 *

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"

> @JDFish said:

> > @JoeFrigo said:

> > I returned my evnroll ER5 after 2 rounds. I do think it keeps putts online from off centered strokes, but I hated the sound of the putter . Also it was a very slow roll. I had to put a firmer stroke on the ball with this over anything else ive played. Of course it would take an adjustment period, but the 2 rounds I left EVERYTHING short

>

> I've had a similar experience with my ER5 so far - long putts have been left short, sometimes by a lot. I'm hoping that with drier, faster greens and a little more time with the putter my putting will improve - if not, it'll be back to my ER8.

I probably didnt give it a fair chance, but they were the 2 worst putting rounds ive had in a long time. Long lag putts were a nightmare for me!!

I know theyre completely different comparisons but I loved how it rolled on the indoor putting green at Pga superstore. But of course real course testing it was like a whole different putter

I bought 2 new putters at the same time and after my round I went to the practice green and putted with both. Same thing, everything was short compared to putter I kept and am playing now

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

ER5 putter here. Been a great upgrade for me, I am coming from Yes! putters, so I must say the roll is not too different, but the extra weight has been good for me. I agree, at first I left everything short, but my last 2 rounds I am all over the hole with my putts. The added length and alignment has helped me and my putting. I would say it is worth it if it works for you, it works for me so I think I made a good purchase.

they are really nice putters.

please don't buy the hybe about grooves and roll though, the thing with rife and evnroll putters is the loft is spec'd at 2 degrees. if youve beenusing a ping, scotty, odyssey, or a TM chances are your loft was closer to 3.5 or 4.

inserts are great for modifying feel, as do grooves, but im not sure grooves can straighten out a horrible path.

• 5 months later...

> @cjnevins said:

> Hey guys I recently picked up the EVNROLL er2 off the putting rack at golfers warehouse and it felt pretty nice of the face. Anyway do any of you game an EVNROLL putter? If so are they worth it and does the technology with the grooves actually work?

I did a putter fitting today at True Spec Golf. I brought my two putters (Odyssey traditional blade, Odyssey mallet face-balanced) and putted 15 foot putts with GC Quad tracking all of my ball data. I was putting very well with my Odyssey mallet (.8 degrees out-to-in, face 0.7 deg open, 20 rpms forward spin) making most of my putts. With the Evnroll ER5, my line was almost perfect (0.2 degrees out-to-in, face 0.3 open, 50 rpms forward spin). I basically couldn't miss a putt. Plus, I was consistently striking the ball in the middle of the face more consistently than my own putter. The tiny two dots on the top of the putter are extremely helpful for proper ball position. I ordered one and should get it in two weeks :).

> @naws-golfer said:

> they are really nice putters.

> please don't buy the hybe about grooves and roll though, the thing with rife and evnroll putters is the loft is spec'd at 2 degrees. if youve beenusing a ping, scotty, odyssey, or a TM chances are your loft was closer to 3.5 or 4.

>

> inserts are great for modifying feel, as do grooves, but im not sure grooves can straighten out a horrible path.

By the way, this poster was incorrect about loft. Evnroll putters have 3 degrees of loft. The grooves even out the energy into mishits (center hits have less energy transfer than off-center hits), so they roll about as far as center strike putts.

> @lookylookitzadam said:

> I have a love hate relationship with my ER2. On slow greens where you have to take a swing at the ball, the Evnroll works well for me, but on anything faster than a 9stimp, I have no feel with the ER2 and I go back to my scotty/ping.

Exactly!!!! I also have the same problem with Yes! as well.

I owned one for a short period of time. I loved the look of the putter but the sound / feel coming off the face was weird (to me), inconsistent, and my distance control suffered big time. I sold it to a buddy of mine and he experienced the same thing.

I read somewhere (probably here) that they were getting negative feedback on the sound/feel of their putters awhile back and that they were making changes. Not sure what happened after that. It's been awhile since I've rolled one.

I like evnroll - I think they're quality putters. However, I did not notice any gearing effects on the ball and noticed no difference on made putts versus a scotty, bettinardi, odyssey, ping, TM, etc. I think they perform and feel better than most of the top brands, but not by enough to purchase a $400 putter. Sound isn't my favorite and feel isn't quite as good as SC or bettinardi. That being said, if you like the sound, feel like you have enough off-centered hits to where the gear effect makes a difference, consider purchasing.

After some additional consideration, I switched my order to the ER2 instead of the ER5. I've heard the ER5 has a tingy sound, which will drive me nuts. Interestingly, I didn't notice this during my fitting but it wasn't especially quiet in the fitting area. I love the small 2 dots on the top line -- really helped me align the ball in the center of the head. I didn't miss the center on any of my putts!

Evnroll putters definitely do have a strange sound and feel. The center of the face is so milled away it can feel and sound kinda dead. In other words, the “sweet spot” doesn’t feel very sweet. That’s what the technology is supposed to do so it rolls out even across the face. Deader in the middle, less dead as you move away from center. If you can get used to that, they make really good looking and well balanced putters. I have a love/hate relationship with my blank no sight line ER2 but I can’t bring myself to sell it.

> @MattUtah said:

> Evnroll putters definitely do have a strange sound and feel. The center of the face is so milled away it can feel and sound kinda dead. In other words, the “sweet spot” doesn’t feel very sweet. That’s what the technology is supposed to do so it rolls out even across the face. Deader in the middle, less dead as you move away from center. If you can get used to that, they make really good looking and well balanced putters. I have a love/hate relationship with my blank no sight line ER2 but I can’t bring myself to sell it.

Matt, I've heard that few/no sight lines on a putter help the most with face alignment. With that said, I like the small dots on the top line and the single alignment line. The small dots REALLY helped me improve center strikes when in the fitting.

I went to Golf Galaxy today to test out the new ER10 Outback. Absolutely loved it. I was a huge fan of the way the shaft enters the head. Provides a super clear view of the ball and it seemed to make the putter very easy to swing.

If anyone is a Golf Galaxy or PGA Superstore employee, I would happily throw some $ your way if you would be willing to use an employee discount for me.

$450 after taxes is just too steep for me.

Titleist TSR2 - TPT Nitro 16lo
Taylormade SIM Ti 3w - Tensei 1k Black 85tx
Taylormade SIM Ti 5w - Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Cobra Tec Hybrid 2 - Kai'li 90tx

Cobra Tec Hybrid 4 - Aldila Tour Black 105tx
Srixon ZX5/ZX& Mkii 5-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Jaws Raw 50s, 54s, 58z - BGT ZNE 130

Putter - LAB something or another

> @mylesb21 said:

> After some additional consideration, I switched my order to the ER2 instead of the ER5. I've heard the ER5 has a tingy sound, which will drive me nuts. Interestingly, I didn't notice this during my fitting but it wasn't especially quiet in the fitting area. I love the small 2 dots on the top line -- really helped me align the ball in the center of the head. I didn't miss the center on any of my putts!

I just purchased the ER5 a couple days ago. I've had at home practice and one round with it so far. I honestly didn't notice any "tingy" sound on the course or at home. For a first round, I was pleased. Made a couple of nice 6-8 for par and some nice lag puts. Missed a couple a birds and had one 3 put. I have order a Gravity grip after trying one today(also purchased a P2 Tour Classic for my Ping Anser F, very nice grip!) . I really think the Evnroll will be money from 3-6 ft. The key of course will be hours of practice with the Puttout Pressure Trainer, Mirror and Mat.

Titleist TSR2  10*

TaylorMade Burner Mini 13.5*

Titleist TSR2 16.5*

Ping G425 Hybrid 21*

Wilson Staff Utility 24*

Wilson D9 Forged 6-PW

Titleist SM9 50 F 54* S 58* M

Evnroll ER11v Midlock

Titleist ProV1