2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Last 6 major winners used 2 wedge setups. Time for a rule change?

SuperCarl

I'll admit that I didn't read all three pages..........but one other thing to consider is swing speed. The less swing speed you have, the more wedges you should carry. Four degree gaps are perfect for short to medium hitting amateurs. Longer hitting amateurs and pros are better off with 6 degree gaps. That's why you've seen forever that the most popular set ups on tour are 48-54-60 and 46-52-58.

I also agree with several people who have said MORE practice time with LESS wedges can be very beneficial. But if you don't have much time to practice like many weekend warriors, then having more wedges to make full swings is a good idea.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

I started with a 56 and 60 2 wedge setup when I was young (real young) and bagged a 2 and 3 iron. When I turned 15 or so I ditched the 2 iron and added a 52 degree wedge. At about 25 I reworked my sedge setup to what I still play today... 50, 54, 60. Now, I struggle with reworking them to one of two setups. First off, I really miss my 3 iron, which I ditched for a 2-hybrid. I'd like to replace the 2 hybrid with a crossover type club and add back in a 3-iron for those shots I need to carry 220-225 in the air (which is becoming more and more common with mid-length par 5s and long par 3s). BUUUUT, I have also thought of going to a 52, 58, 64 wedge setup. This would allow for the 64 to simply be used as a short game wedge and never hit full shots. The 58 I can carry almost exactly 100 yards with ease and I hit the 52 about 120 yards. The main problem with this is that I hit my 46 degree pitching wedge about 150 yards without much effort, which creates a 30 yard gap in a huge scoring range for me (120-150).

I think the most likely answer for me is to consider what the OP has stated and go back to a 2 wedge setup. I'm not sure I can give up the 60 degree for a 58, but I'll have to hit it more. The other wedge in my bag seems likely to be a 52 instead of a 54, unless I bent my PW a degree or two weak. I never realized how big of dilemma this was until I saw this post... thanks! hahahahaha

Guys, this is pretty simple.

Pick the highest lofted club you like using around the greens, whether it is 56,58,60 whatever. Then fill the gap between that club and you highest lofted set club in 4-6 degree increments. Whether that is 2 wedges or 4 wedges it doesn't matter what it says on the bottom of the club. We are all different in our needs thats why they make lots of options.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

• 2 years later...

reading this forum has really opened my eyes. I currently have 46*pw, 50, 54, 58. My 50 is used 80% of the time for full swings. Sometimes if I'm about 40-50 yards short but with plenty of green to work with ill use this to pitch with. Ive made more of an effort to use my 54 for every shot around the green. 58 I rarely use, primarily sand shots or if I have a tight pin. Since ive focused on practicing with my 54 for all shots around the green it got me thinking there's no need for 4 wedges and im gonna switch it up...at least for my game. Focusing on 1 club to chip/pitch with has definitely made a huge difference for me

Im probably going to sell my 50,54 and instead get a 52. Can still use it for full swings but again just focus on my 52 to use for everything under 100 yards

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

The only thing I know for sure is that it doesn't matter.

What matters is whether or not you're good with the wedges you have.

I think we see fewer wedges on tour because those guys can (and are required to) hit a lot of longer shots we aren't. So they need a balanced bag. Not only do they need 3 or more wedges but they need 3 or more long clubs: fairways, hybrids, irons, etc.

I'm more consistent with my smaller swings so wedges are the best part of my game. I am good enough to appreciate the different between my 52, 56 and 60. It serves me no benefit to waste spots in the bag carrying clubs I don't hit well (or often).

I'm not an inherently good fairway metal player for instance. But I'm reasonably good with the one 4w that I have which serves me fine. It seems doubtful that I'd become a better by splitting that one club into two separate clubs.

Maybe I would, but again, to the original question about wedges. Just focus on getting dialed in with what you have. That's what matters.

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Pro's can hit 3/4 shots LIGHTYEARS better than we can because they practice/play 6 or 7 days a week. With that said, I have a 50,54,60 but my 50* is a full shot club so it's like having another PW. My 54 and 60 are the real wedges that hit different shots especially around the green and out of the sand.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I basically have a 50* PW (my last set was 49*) and a 55 and a 60* wedge, so by my count that is three. According to what is stamped on my irons I have 4 wedges, since my GW is 50 and my PW is 46 now.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

46/52/58 here - I've always been a three wedge guy (or two if we're not couting PW/10i). For awhile, in my younger years, I played PW/56/60 which was of course influenced by TW's setup. I then moved to 54/58 to close the gap between my PW and GW. Finally about 5 years ago went to 52/58 to have even increments between PW/GW/LW.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

I carry two wedges. I hit my 52* about 110. So if I need to hit it 100, I give it about 3/4. 80 yards, I give it a little less, etc. The only reason I even have a 58 or 60 is for when I need a lot of loft, which I'm realizing is almost never. Some people say having 4 wedges simplifies things for them. For me, having 2 simplifies things.

• Like 1

> @Itsjustagame said:

> BigHook25 wrote:

>

>

> coho10 wrote:

>

>

> Itsjustagame wrote:

>

>

>

> When you practice as much as these guys do you can reliably alter distance, trajectory, spin with only 2 wedges. Doesn't work for me.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Exactly this....I don't have the time to practice so I need every club I can get!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I hardly practice, but find it easier to just use two wedges. I don't see the need for small gaps from 50-60 degrees, a 5 to 6 degree gap is fine. The less wedges the less you think about it or think about hitting shots you probably can't.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> If I need the precision of 3-4 degree gaps from 150-200 yards then I certainly need it inside 100 yards where the majority of shots are hit.

You don't need and most people can't utilize those "precision" gaps and no you don't need it inside of 100. What is needed is skill, not perfect "precision" gaps. Golf actually takes practice. ( Not directed at you but at the mentality and how people obsess over it)

• Like 1

Tiger Woods plays very weak lofts.

![](http://wpmediars.golfwrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/tigers.jpg "")

45* 9i, 49* PW, SW, LW setup is very close to the today's customary 46 PW, 50 GW, 54-56 SW, 58-60 LW.

• Like 1

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I started off years ago with the typical 52/56/60 combo but dropped the 60 as it tended to cost me more shots than it saved me and I had no confidence with it. So I played 47/52/56 for years. I tried 47/52/58 but didn't find I gained much playing the 58 vs the 56.

Recently I have dropped my 4 iron and I'm playing 47/50/54/58 so back to 4 wedges. I find the 50 fills the distance gap on full shots better and I'm really enjoying the versatility of the 54 around the green. From the bunker I like having the 54 for long carries and the 58 when I am short sided. Enjoying the versatility of this setup and not missing the 4i too much. Just need to swing easy on those 170m approach shots with the 23 hybrid. I can hit this thing 200m if I nail it but I need to learn to 'rinky' it like Mark Crossfield. LOL

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

A lot of you guys questioning the gapping are leaving something out, bounce and grinds. I have a 50, a 52 bent to 54, and a 58 in my bag, and sometimes I'll pull my 3w and add a 64 depending on the course. The 50 is used mostly like a 2nd pitching wedge for fullish shots from the fairway or rough. The 52 is bent to lessen offset and give me more bounce than I would otherwise get from the stock 54. This gives me a high bounce option for various chips and pitches and an option should I encounter really fluffy sand. The higher bounce also tends to launch the ball a little lower with a stronger flight. The 58 is pretty much you're standard mid bounce lob wedge and I'll use that for most shots around the green.

If anything PGA tour players can get away with one less wedge because they have less variables in course conditions, especially sand. I don't know about you but I have wildly varying turf and sand conditions from one course to another. Tour players are also are better at controlling their leave distance so they are not trying to hit a 70 yard 1/2ish wedge... They will position themselves at a known swing distance that they have hit a million times. I could get away with just a 52 and 58 if I didn't need to cover a wide range of course conditions.

I switched to 4 wedge setup a few years ago and won't switch back. I go 46 - 50 (both are i210s and almost purely a full swing clubs) 54-58 (Glide 2.0 54* has 12* of bounce and the 58* has 6* of bounce). Typically my 54* is for low chips or courses that are softer / slower and 58* is for higher shots and firmer faster courses. This has worked for me but everyone is a little different, for me I think this works is when I started playing golf the PW was 48-50*, essentially what my gap wedge is.

Ping G425 LST 10.5*
Ping G425 LST 14.5
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*

Srixon ZX5 4 iron & 5 iron
Srixon ZX7 6-AW
Vokey SM8 54.10S and 60.04L
Evnroll ER5 black

My stock PW is a 135-140. For all intents and purposes its a 10 iron. So two clubs to cover 135 and in is a tall ask for a weekend hacker like myself. My go range for par 5s stops at 260ish or so, so having an extra club to fill the the 200+ yard range wont do me much good.

Pros on the other hand play much longer courses, if they prescribe to the SG approach know there are more strokes to be gained in longer approaches. They also have much more mechanically sound swings, which makes 1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots much easier to execute. Your average amateur has some swing flaws, well those flaws require compensations, so 1/2 and 3/4 shots become more difficult to execute reliably when you have less time to get all of your compensations timed.

Periodically I play 5 wedges. I'll take the Ut out and add 50*. The PW and AW in my set are so long, I have a 25 yard gap between my AW and next wedge.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik

4 Wood: PXG Gen 5

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 

Irons: Cleveland ZipCore XL (5-AW)
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 4 ZipCore  (54, 58)
Putter: Toulon Memphis

Everyone is obviously different with what they need but here are the things I’d look at...

1. Loft of PW. Do you have a super strong PW (45 or stronger) or a 46 or 47 PW. With the super strong PWs you almost have to have a 50 degree gap wedge for full shots thus almost requiring 3 wedge setup. With a more traditional PW a 2 additional wedge setup is EXTREMELY doable (52/58 being most popular and common)

2. What is your style? Are you a feel player? In other words are you comfortable being able to do multiple things with a single wedge? Changing the ball position, where your hands are (leaning the shaft), opening it up, etc. all make it easier to do more with fewer wedges. If you’re more robotic in your style then you may need more wedges.

I can go either way. I’m fine with my 52/58 setup. I do miss my 54 wedge though just because there was so many things I could do with that wedge (I can do most of them with the 52).

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

I go 46 50 54 58, but at some point I hope to move to 46 52 58 and add a strong 3 wood. I'm definitely a better wedge player than long game player, and I think I'd rather have more options with stock shots at the top of the bag then the other way around. From 125 and in, I'm good at various feel and partial shots. Sometimes, around the green, I confuse myself with too many options. I think I'd like to simplify: the 52 for most chips and low pitches, the 58 for anything lofted.

2 wedges? Will definitely work for some . Though the odds are against it being the best solution for most.

Fastest most economical way to improve might be:

* Adopt Pelz's recommendations with your current 52º 56º 60º wedges

* Work on 10:30 swing and 9:00 swings

Resulting in 6 distances from approx 55-100 yards

You'd have to read Pelz's Shortgame bible on chapter on how to hit distance wedges. It works. Then it would take you approximately 200 balls and you would be probably 1-2 strokes better per round.

There's no getting around the fact that it takes some work to gain these skills but it doesn't have to be drudgery.

HTH's

mnuqwfmbszfh.png

I went from 3 wedges, to 2 and back to 3... I found myself struggling knocking down my PW (46) enough to have reliable birdie chances from 120-105yrds out. I could get my 52 MAYBE 115, more 105-110 but into any slight wind this gap got even worse.

These are valuable scoring yardages imho and a 50 fills it perfectly.

Does it suck not having that 220yrd carry club into par5 yes... But if I can't run up my 3 iron or have enough room for error trying to take something off my 4W. Is going for it in 2 the smartest play?

I would say this all depends on player and course. E.g I am a 7 hcap who carries driver 250. So I don't think I would miss a wedge for partial shots.

Par 3:

Don't play any under wedge length.

Par 4:

Can reach all in two. Only have a partial shot if had to chip out.

Par 5:

May leave partial wedge shot if I decide to go for it and end up way short.

So for myself, 2 versus 3 wedges is all about green side options. Currently play 3 but often think about going back to 2.

I base my wedges off of my 45* PW. I go 49*, 53*, and a 58*. My 45* and 49* are used for 3/4-full shots 99% of the time from 100-125 yards. PW is 115-125 yards, and the GW is 100-115 yards. The 53* is used for 85-100 yards, and the LW is used for 85 yards and under.

All of this is assuming there is no tree directly in front of me when trying to hit a shot those desired distances. I use my 58* for just about every shot around the green, except for long bump and runs, and long bunker shots just because I only practice with my 58* due to limited practice time. It works for me, and I usually don't have to think too much when it comes to deciding which club to hit.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17.25* (Motore F1 7s); 21* Callaway UW (Attas T2 8S); Adams Super 9031 23* (Recoil Prototype Utility 110 F4)
Irons: 5-PW Srixon ZX7 MKII (KBS 120 $ Taper)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

With my GIs, I have a 44*PW, so I filled in the top end with 50GAP, 56SW and 64LW for a long time.

Fairly PW-122 yards, 50-105, 56-90 and 64-65

Perhaps I'm playing too short courses lately but I've found myself with WAY too many shots right in the 95 and 110 range (ol' Murphy's Law strikes again LOL) where I don't have a full swing. I generally have a tough time "taking a little off" a full swing and when I "step on" a shorter club to hit the yardage it seldom turns out very well.

Net-net I've take out my 4 hybrid (~182) and will take something off the 3 hybrid (~190) if I must as I find MANY more scoring opportunities from closer to the hole than further away.

So, like @Millhill88 I now have 5 wedges in the bag and so far (about 4 rounds) am very pleased with the results.

So now it's PW-122, 48-110, 52-100 56-90, & 64-65.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Since taking up the game only 52* & 58* wedges. I can make any shot with those two wedges, but upon occasion might manipulate a PW or 9i. It's been my belief, practice and seeing needed shot mechanics are more important than a third wedge that you don't have the time to practice with.

• TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x