Destination Recommendations for October Couples Golf trip with non-golfing wives?

Fellow golfers, looking for recs for October for a trip for my wife and I and two of our friends. Ideally, a place where the two guys can play some serious golf, and the ladies can spa, shop, etc then we can enjoy ourselves eating and drinking as well. Even something outside the box. We love SanDiego but maybe other destinations to not include there, Hilton Head, or Las Vegas as we have done those before. Looking forward to your recommendations.

> @"Dr.Frankenputz" said:

> Scottsdale unless the dates don’t work with the overseed. Maybe Nashville, anywhere in Florida, Austin, Charleston, savannah. Don’t know if I’d consider them outside the box though.

That is kind of what I am thinking also with the weather. San Diego is kind of hard to beat. Was also thinking Palm Springs possible, AZ always good, and Florida. We have done Hilton Head but really liked it so may be an option again.

Isn’t Monterey exactly what you are looking for? It has the quaint seaside-ness, the big resort, the small bed and breakfasts. Lot’s of off-course activities like the aquarium and cannery row. Santa Cruz and the Boardwalk about an hour away, etc.

The only problem is temps will be 50’s-60’s. But we went in December and it was glorious. Only played at Pacific Grove though.

No idea where the OP's originating location is, but my out of the box suggestion is the Branson, MO/Table Rock Lake area. Plenty of flights into Springfield an hour or so to the north. Many solid, newer courses in the area like Ozarks National, Buffalo Ridge, whatever they are calling the Payne Stewart tribute course now, etc. Pretty area that time of year, not too hot, not too cold, maybe 50s-60s depending on time of month? Unless the wives have real hoity toity tastes, there will be plenty of shopping/spa type stuff to do. I've been going to that area off and on to visit family since the early 1990s and it sure has changed for the better, it's not just focused on cheesy country music has-been shows anymore.

Central Coast of California: San Luis Obispo area. Very good golf (I'd recommend Hunter Ranch in Paso Robles, Monarch Dunes in Nipomo, Cypress Ridge in Arroyo Grande, San Luis Obispo Country Club if you can do reciprocal as it's private. Morro Bay, Paso Robles Golf Club are good, fun courses but not as challenging as the others mentioned - or as expensive.). About an hour away is La Purisima. Lots of excellent restaurants, wineries galore, spas, etc. October is a great month weather wise.

Kiawah

Naples FL

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* GD AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x 

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

> @Bonneville85308 said:

> No idea where the OP's originating location is, but my out of the box suggestion is the Branson, MO/Table Rock Lake area. Plenty of flights into Springfield an hour or so to the north. Many solid, newer courses in the area like Ozarks National, Buffalo Ridge, whatever they are calling the Payne Stewart tribute course now, etc. Pretty area that time of year, not too hot, not too cold, maybe 50s-60s depending on time of month? Unless the wives have real hoity toity tastes, there will be plenty of shopping/spa type stuff to do. I've been going to that area off and on to visit family since the early 1990s and it sure has changed for the better, it's not just focused on cheesy country music has-been shows anymore.

Been to branson with the family several times and really enjoy it. Big Cedar and golf is definitely on the list to do

If you have any inklings for the Monterey peninsula, October is the perfect time to go. Actually it is THE best time of year there. Little chance of fog, usually not much wind, and daytime temps are perfect for golf, around 70. Three of the four times I’ve played Pebble have been in October and the weather was near perfect each time, and I’ve also been there in October quite a few times on non-golfing trips (yes, there is such a thing) and the weather was ideal.

The spas at Spanish Bay and the Pebble Beach Lodge are fantastic according to my wife. If you aren’t quite interested in playing Pebble you can stay elsewhere and still easily get on Spyglass, and there are a lot of other solid golf options in the area, and not too far is Pasatiempo which is fantastic. Besides The Lodge and Spanish Bay, one of our favorite places to stay is Bernardus Lodge up Carmel Valley; excellent restaurant and great spa, and it’s always warmer up the valley.

There is so much for the wives to do in the area they probably won’t even miss you and might suggest you need to go play more golf. Shopping galore, delightful little bistros, the Aquarium, lovely state parks. Take a drive down to Big Sur and have lunch at the Post Ranch Inn or Nepenthe. Nice wine tasting in the area too. Great restaurants all around (make sure you have dinner at Casanova in Carmel and ask for a tour of the wine cellar!).

Damn, just writing this is making me think we need to get back there this year!

• Like 1

I like Myrtle Beach in October. I have been lucky with great weather and course conditions and wife enjoys the beach and day spas. It is not nearly as crowded as in summer and lots of options for activities and food. Wife prefers Charleston, SC or Wilmington, NC, but I can usually sell her on Myrtle Beach if it is not vacation season. We are not big shoppers, but there are several large outlet malls for shopping.

Cobra King F7, Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.0

Cobra King F7 4wd, Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0

Cobra King F7 Hybrid, Hzrdus Black 85 6.0

Mizuno JPX919 HMP 5-PW, AMT White S300

Vokey SM8, 48.10F/54.14F/60.08M, Stock shafts

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S 34"

> @Clambake said:

> If you have any inklings for the Monterey peninsula, October is the perfect time to go. Actually it is THE best time of year there. Little chance of fog, usually not much wind, and daytime temps are perfect for golf, around 70. Three of the four times I’ve played Pebble have been in October and the weather was near perfect each time, and I’ve also been there in October quite a few times on non-golfing trips (yes, there is such a thing) and the weather was ideal.

>

> The spas at Spanish Bay and the Pebble Beach Lodge are fantastic according to my wife. If you aren’t quite interested in playing Pebble you can stay elsewhere and still easily get on Spyglass, and there are a lot of other solid golf options in the area, and not too far is Pasatiempo which is fantastic. Besides The Lodge and Spanish Bay, one of our favorite places to stay is Bernardus Lodge up Carmel Valley; excellent restaurant and great spa, and it’s always warmer up the valley.

>

> There is so much for the wives to do in the area they probably won’t even miss you and might suggest you need to go play more golf. Shopping galore, delightful little bistros, the Aquarium, lovely state parks. Take a drive down to Big Sur and have lunch at the Post Ranch Inn or Nepenthe. Nice wine tasting in the area too. Great restaurants all around (make sure you have dinner at Casanova in Carmel and ask for a tour of the wine cellar!).

>

> ****, just writing this is making me think we need to get back there this year!

Clambake is right October is a great time of year to be on the Monterey Peninsula. The Spas at both Spanish Bay and PB are really fantastic and if you're not going to play Pebble besides Bernardus Lodge, my wife and I also like Quail Lodge , Monterey Plaza And Spa plus Carmel Valley Ranch. As mentioned Carmel Valley is usually 10+ degrees warmer. There's lots of shopping and restaurants too!

> @Roadking2003 said:

> Pebble is wonderful. $1000+ per night for the lodge is just a little bit high.

My wife and I have stayed many times at PB Resorts and we prefer the Inn At Spanish Bay. The rates are cheaper than PB and there aren't bus loads of tourist like PB.

The restaurants are very good, there's the outside fire pits, it's an easy walk down to the beach and if you like wine there's Stave Wine Cellar.

> @"aloha b." said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > Pebble is wonderful. $1000+ per night for the lodge is just a little bit high.

> My wife and I have stayed many times at PB Resorts and we prefer the Inn At Spanish Bay. The rates are cheaper than PB and there aren't bus loads of tourist like PB.

> The restaurants are very good, there's the outside fire pits, it's an easy walk down to the beach and if you like wine there's Stave Wine Cellar.

>

>

I agree. I've also stayed there. Rates for the cheapest room at the Inn including taxes and fees is $952.

> @vallygolf said:

> Pebble. Best of everything for the wives. Downside is cost only as @roadking points out. Also if you can swing it fly into the Monterey airport. It is small and easy to navigate. Beats driving down from San Jose or San Fran.

It is on the bucket list. I am gonna check into prices but I am guessing it will cost more than my trip to scotland last year?

> @tacrispy said:

> > @vallygolf said:

> > Pebble. Best of everything for the wives. Downside is cost only as @roadking points out. Also if you can swing it fly into the Monterey airport. It is small and easy to navigate. Beats driving down from San Jose or San Fran.

>

> It is on the bucket list. I am gonna check into prices but I am guessing it will cost more than my trip to scotland last year?

Yes...If done as a bucket list trip.

> @tacrispy said:

> > @Baitkiller said:

> > Naples would meet your needs. Still in reciprocal season as well.

>

> Will check into that. Course recs?

Not sure where to start really on courses. There are several threads in the regional forums about Naples with excellent reviews and thoughtful commentary regarding the courses available. But please do check the Bonita Hilton.We staycation there often. It is on the beach, home to Raptor Bay (meh), across the street from Coconut Point, 10 minutes down 41 to Waterside and the Mercado. FYI, the Fresh Market in Mercado has a bar in the middle. $10 Uber max to any shopping or entertainment / dining. Its prime and proven hurricane season so tourism is welcome and a bit scarce. Can be hot, can be awesome because the water is bathtub warm, fishing is off the chain, aint nobody here and you can walk on and play anywhere for pesos. Plan your day around a nap from 1:00 to 4:00 PM. Three beer lunch and a snooze and your GTG.