New to Arizona (Phoenix) looking for people to play with

Hi everyone-

Relatively new to the Phoenix area and looking to join up with some other golfers on Saturday and Sunday, and maybe 9 holes during the week as well. I’ve been playing sporadically using golfnow, and usually end up playing alone or with out of towners which is starting to get old. I’m located near the Glendale area, but willing to play pretty much anywhere. I’ve found that I have to drive 20-25 mins to get to any decent courses (legends, gcu, raven, lookout mountain, TPC).

Not sure it matters but I’m 31 y/o and about a 12 handicap (unofficially), fluctuated between a 2 and 5 during my younger years and would like to get back down to that.

Pm me if you want to play or have any openings in your regular groupings.

I’m not sure if I should create another thread for the second topic, but I’m also interested in joining a club via jr membership. I’m a little hesitant to do so now as I am currently renting and will likely relocate in the next 12 months, but I’m open to joining one if it makes sense. Let me know if you have any ideas on reasonable jr memberships with a younger population.

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone-

Relatively new to the Phoenix area and looking to join up with some other golfers on Saturday and Sunday, and maybe 9 holes during the week as well. I’ve been playing sporadically using golfnow, and usually end up playing alone or with out of towners which is starting to get old. I’m located near the Glendale area, but willing to play pretty much anywhere. I’ve found that I have to drive 20-25 mins to get to any decent courses (legends, gcu, raven, lookout mountain, TPC).

Not sure it matters but I’m 31 y/o and about a 12 handicap (unofficially), fluctuated between a 2 and 5 during my younger years and would like to get back down to that.

Pm me if you want to play or have any openings in your regular groupings.

I’m not sure if I should create another thread for the second topic, but I’m also interested in joining a club via jr membership. I’m a little hesitant to do so now as I am currently renting and will likely relocate in the next 12 months, but I’m open to joining one if it makes sense. Let me know if you have any ideas on reasonable jr memberships with a younger population.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure where you work, but if you move closer to TPC their annual pass is a great value. Champions is a great layout that will def improve your game and being able to get on Stadium cheap close to the WMPO is great too.

I believe Wigwam Gold has a really good skins game on Saturday mornings. Sorry I'm not as familiar with west valley.

I live southwest of TPC right off of 17 at Glendale, but I work right across the street so this is helpful.

I checked out their passes and it seems like it could be a good deal especially purchased right when it’s offered, which I think is October time frame?

I’m looking more into Phoenix CC as it’s about 7500 initiation and then 435 a month for a jr. , and it’s only 10-15 mins from my house.

I live southwest of TPC right off of 17 at Glendale, but I work right across the street so this is helpful.

I checked out their passes and it seems like it could be a good deal especially purchased right when it’s offered, which I think is October time frame?

I’m looking more into Phoenix CC as it’s about 7500 initiation and then 435 a month for a jr. , and it’s only 10-15 mins from my house.

That sounds right on the TPC pass. Phoenix CC is pure but if you like to hit a lot of balls the range isn't great since it's pretty short. Great layout though.

• 2 months later...

Kierland also has a pretty good annual pass program, and are one of the rare local/public courses that allow walking.

I would also recommend the Papago Mens Golf Association. They have about 300 members, 2 weekend events every month, typically with 50-100 participants, and a wide range of gross/net games. Papago is also a very good track, though a bit of a construction zone right now, as they build a new clubhouse and practice facility. Let me know if you are interested in that and I can pass along more info.

Would be interested to hear if you purchased the TPC pass. Seems like a decent program but I have heard it can be difficult to secure morning tee times on the weekends. Anyone have any insight there?

• 2 weeks later...

All the TPC passes can be bought anytime of year, and they're either prorated until the end of the calendar year (annual pass) or good for 365 days (discount card). Lots of places do summer discount cards, etc too, but I am not aware of TPC offering anything specifically for the summer.

You can find info on the Papago Mens Club here - http://www.papagomensgolf.com - let me know if you have any questions.

Just read that about tpc after I wrote that. The link above doesn’t seem to work

Anyone know What other summer passes might be out there?

http://www.papagomensgolf.com/

Troon has a summer card deal for $99 that is good for 5 months, May thru September. There seem to be mixed opinions whether its a good deal, but I am going to try it for this summer.

Just read that about tpc after I wrote that. The link above doesn’t seem to work

Troon has a summer card deal for $99 that is good for 5 months, May thru September. There seem to be mixed opinions whether its a good deal, but I am going to try it for this summer.

It seems like a decent deal. Checked out the courses at least there is a variety! Let me knows when you go out to play and have a slot open, I’m game to play most of the time!

I’ll check out the above when I’m near a computer some of the pages are not showing great on my phone. It’s basically $300 a year and then you play a tournament style twice a month, is that the gist? Thanks for the info!

It seems like a decent deal. Checked out the courses at least there is a variety! Let me knows when you go out to play and have a slot open, I’m game to play most of the time!

I’ll check out the above when I’m near a computer some of the pages are not showing great on my phone. It’s basically $300 a year and then you play a tournament style twice a month, is that the gist? Thanks for the info!

PMGA is $130 for the year, and includes USGA handicap and Arizona Golf Association membership. There are 2-3 events every month, but no required amount that anyone has to play in. All events are flighted/handicapped, there are players ranging from +3-4 handicaps to 20-25 handicaps. Good group, good course.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Bumping an old thread.

Just moved to PHX a few weeks ago. Looking for folks to play with. I’m at like I17 and Cactus but happy to explore around the whole city. PM me if you’ve got an opening or game I can join.

Fluctuate between 1-3 for my index, happy to play with any skill level. Ultimately looking for some good games to play in and explore the cities many courses.

Thanks!

Rob

Bumping an old thread.

Just moved to PHX a few weeks ago. Looking for folks to play with. I’m at like I17 and Cactus but happy to explore around the whole city. PM me if you’ve got an opening or game I can join.

Fluctuate between 1-3 for my index, happy to play with any skill level. Ultimately looking for some good games to play in and explore the cities many courses.

Thanks!

Rob

Welcome to the PHX area!

We've got quite a few active posters and golfers in PHX, but most AZ posts have migrated to the "Courses, Memberships, Travel" subforum under the region's/southwest portion. You'll find a lot more activity there.

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, gents. Welcome to the desert for those still relatively new. I play 2-3 times a week usually, a little less this time of the year but still make time to get out a fair amount. I have a small circle of friends, some who play and others who don't, but it's hard to make plans with even the ones who do so I also play by myself quite a bit. I don't really mind it most of the time but I would love to expand my golfing circle.

I live in the South Valley near Whirlwind so I play there, Raven, Legacy, Papago, Aguila, but also enjoy shooting up to Scottsdale to play TPC (Champions is my favorite course in The Valley) and Wildfire among others. I'm a scratch handicap (+/- depending on the time of year) but am more than happy to play with anyone as long as the company is good.

Shoot me a PM, text, or a call if you're interested in getting together.

-Brian

281-961-6996

In the Hoofer

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 10.5° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-X
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X
TaylorMade SIM2 Ti 19° | Fujikura Ventus Blue 7-X

Mizuno Pro 225 4i | UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype Utility 110F5

Mizuno Pro 221 5-PW | Project X Rifle 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM9 52°, 56°, 60° | Project X Rifle 6.0

Piretti Teramo Oil Can
Titleist ProV1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Playing Johnson ranch Thursday morning 723, there should still be 2 open spots via golf now if any eastsiders can get out on a weekday

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options