2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

> @Bobb3rdown said:

> Never owned a blade or hit one till last week. Was testing drivers, and while they where changing some settings I picked up a demo 7 iron 2018 apex mb with px 6.0.

> Hit 3 shots all 5 yard fades. Within 2 yards of each other. Never felt a more pure strike in my life. Was a feeling I'll remember for a long time.

Haha... watch out. It's a slippery slope. Guys more innocent than you have ended up with multiple sets of blades in the garage.

Speaking of pure strike. Did I mention how sweet these MP4's are? I don't get it. I mean, I was just interested in making solid contact more often. But man, the feel of impact is ... It's sort of in between the baby blades and their thump and the RomaRo's which define 'butter' Solid is the word for me. I wonder how much is the S300's.... but I am not in any mood to swap them out and see what a different shaft feels like. One more week before I can really get back and play, but I was back at the range (just a small bucket in the morning and, well, another small bucket in the afternoon.)

I hate to say this, because I know what a honeymoon is, having been on several with different golf clubs, but I swear I think these are the most enjoyable I ever hit.

• Like 1

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Bobb3rdown said:

> > Never owned a blade or hit one till last week. Was testing drivers, and while they where changing some settings I picked up a demo 7 iron 2018 apex mb with px 6.0.

> > Hit 3 shots all 5 yard fades. Within 2 yards of each other. Never felt a more pure strike in my life. Was a feeling I'll remember for a long time.

>

> Haha... watch out. It's a slippery slope. Guys more innocent than you have ended up with multiple sets of blades in the garage.

>

> Speaking of pure strike. Did I mention how sweet these MP4's are? I don't get it. I mean, I was just interested in making solid contact more often. But man, the feel of impact is ... It's sort of in between the baby blades and their thump and the RomaRo's which define 'butter' Solid is the word for me. I wonder how much is the S300's.... but I am not in any mood to swap them out and see what a different shaft feels like. One more week before I can really get back and play, but I was back at the range (just a small bucket in the morning and, well, another small bucket in the afternoon.)

>

> I hate to say this, because I know what a honeymoon is, having been on several with different golf clubs, but I swear I think these are the most enjoyable I ever hit.

Had my MP4s for 4 years now...still on honeymoon :)

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Glad to see everyone keeping well! Loving the blade pics

Sho but did I have a rollercoaster of a round yesterday, to the point where I was considering walking off and buying a full Launcher hybrid set... But after a small pep talk at halfway I went into the back 9 proceeded to shoot lights out (10 shots better than the first 9) ended up winning our matchplay game after being 4 down at the turn so I was decidedly happier with that effort and all was right in the world again.

I guess my point is to just get out of your own way and play golf, don't make it harder on yourself in an already tough game. I must apologise to my poor X protos after saying a few mean things to them during the first 9... I even threatened them with being replaced by some Launcher Hybrid irons, I'm sorry, I was in a bad space, it wasn't your fault!

• Like 1

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Bigmean said:

> > The onoffs have more of that refined Titleist feel nard mentioned to me. I can see that.

> >

> > Vegas are great and to my taste I think the mp 4 is one of the best feeling irons I have hit in last 5 years, so Mizuno is easy to forget about even though I know that is a group favorite iron.

> >

> >

> > ettc5gvge5zc.png

> >

> > Just won a trpx x line concept shaft on the bay.....paid $70 less than I could find it for on yahoo auction before fees...sometimes jdm is a double edge sword and I have been on the wrong side of reselling before so I will take this hopefull score. Has same profile as the crazy that in my limited 14 or so swings I couldn’t miss left bad with so I am hoping that there is something to this profile....

>

> I played a Toule in a Jbeam for quite a while, till - poof - one day I just couldn't hit it.

Yeah.... that happened to my original king cobra, Mchenry metals, R7, 913D2, crazy 435(Same as jbeam you had maybe?) and my Ryoma maxima.....freaking weird ?

Are they good shafts? I got it for $105 so figured for same money I would venture away from the GD GT or MT I was looking to put in it. Since my R7 head weighs a ton, I am putting the crazy in that with an extender in the butt, "Tipped" about an inch may be ok there and the shaft is on light end of flex for me. That sounds better than the garbage anyway....,.

> @Bobb3rdown said:

> Never owned a blade or hit one till last week. Was testing drivers, and while they where changing some settings I picked up a demo 7 iron 2018 apex mb with px 6.0.

> Hit 3 shots all 5 yard fades. Within 2 yards of each other. Never felt a more pure strike in my life. Was a feeling I'll remember for a long time.

This was exactly how I started. Was getting irons regripped at Edwin Watts and was fooling around in the hitting bay. Grabbed the demo Apex MB in Project X 6.0, and proceeded to make a lot of pure contact with a clean draw. Distance was a club longer than the old t-Zoids I was regripping, and feel was the softest iron I’d ever hit.

Fast forward 3 months, and I now have a set of MP-4s in Project X 6.0 in my bag. When the prices come down, I’ll probably pick up a set of the Callaways, though my Hogan Redlines are a very close match.

Your next step down this dark path is to pick up a cheapo set of blades for under $100 or a cheap single iron for range practice, and see what you think. For reference, my Hogans were $60, and my MP-4s were $280. There’s a lot of money to be saved in playing old blades. : )

• Like 1

So is it fair to say that mp4s are the hands down best accessible blade (in terms of both quantity and price availability) currently

Period?

Like if someone says “hey want to get blades what should I get” should it always just be mp4 as the correct response?

I felt same way hitting In stores, I don’t much care for the new one, I never cared for the 32-67 etc ones, but it seems like Mizuno nailed the MP4 then got off track. And I read on here, are they changing their forging a bit to make it more sense? I caught that in a miura Mizuno thread. No secret how I feel about miura but unless Mizuno nails it, Seems like not something they should mess with...

• Like 1

> @Jonesy said:

> Glad to see everyone keeping well! Loving the blade pics

>

> Sho but did I have a rollercoaster of a round yesterday, to the point where I was considering walking off and buying a full Launcher hybrid set... But after a small pep talk at halfway I went into the back 9 proceeded to shoot lights out (10 shots better than the first 9) ended up winning our matchplay game after being 4 down at the turn so I was decidedly happier with that effort and all was right in the world again.

>

> I guess my point is to just get out of your own way and play golf, don't make it harder on yourself in an already tough game. I must apologise to my poor X protos after saying a few mean things to them during the first 9... I even threatened them with being replaced by some Launcher Hybrid irons, I'm sorry, I was in a bad space, it wasn't your fault!

I'm impressed you managed to get your game back so quickly. I lost my swing sometime around July last year to the point I was considering launching myself into the sun, and it took me months to find my swing again.

Now that it's back, though, golf is great :)

• Like 1

> @revanant said:

> > @Bobb3rdown said:

> > Never owned a blade or hit one till last week. Was testing drivers, and while they where changing some settings I picked up a demo 7 iron 2018 apex mb with px 6.0.

> > Hit 3 shots all 5 yard fades. Within 2 yards of each other. Never felt a more pure strike in my life. Was a feeling I'll remember for a long time.

>

> This was exactly how I started. Was getting irons regripped at Edwin Watts and was fooling around in the hitting bay. Grabbed the demo Apex MB in Project X 6.0, and proceeded to make a lot of pure contact with a clean draw. Distance was a club longer than the old t-Zoids I was regripping, and feel was the softest iron I’d ever hit.

>

> Fast forward 3 months, and I now have a set of MP-4s in Project X 6.0 in my bag. When the prices come down, I’ll probably pick up a set of the Callaways, though my Hogan Redlines are a very close match.

>

> Your next step down this dark path is to pick up a cheapo set of blades for under $100 or a cheap single iron for range practice, and see what you think. For reference, my Hogans were $60, and my MP-4s were $280. **There’s a lot of money to be saved in playing old blades. : )**

Yep. With so many cheap sets of old blades around, it's so easy for people to scratch that "blade itch" without getting burnt if it doesn't work out for them. Even just having a set around for a bit of variation now and again might be fun.

• Like 1

> @wmblake2000 said:

> > @Bobb3rdown said:

>

>** Haha... watch out. It's a slippery slope. Guys more innocent than you have ended up with multiple sets of blades in the garage. **

>

> Speaking of pure strike. Did I mention how sweet these MP4's are? I don't get it. I mean, I was just interested in making solid contact more often. But man, the feel of impact is ... It's sort of in between the baby blades and their thump and the RomaRo's which define 'butter' Solid is the word for me. I wonder how much is the S300's.... but I am not in any mood to swap them out and see what a different shaft feels like. One more week before I can really get back and play, but I was back at the range (just a small bucket in the morning and, well, another small bucket in the afternoon.)

>

> I hate to say this, because I know what a honeymoon is, having been on several with different golf clubs, but I swear I think these are the most enjoyable I ever hit.

too right! I've sold a lot of clubs recently and still find myself with 6 1/2 sets of clubs, majority blades or near blades. Have had my Miura Tournament blades on sale many times but cant bring myself to part with them.

Callaway Epic Max LS 
TM M2 3 wood 
Mizuno MP 650 hybrids -  17 & 22 degree

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5 iron

Mizuno MP-5 6-PW KBS 120S
Vokey SM9 50

Vokey SM7 56, 60
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #9 

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> I'm impressed you managed to get your game back so quickly. I lost my swing sometime around July last year to the point I was considering launching myself into the sun, and it took me months to find my swing again.

> Now that it's back, though, golf is great :)

I was very close to launching myself into the sun, I honestly have no reasoning or method as to how it changed so quickly and so drastically, it's definitely one of the most surreal golfing experiences I've had. To have such a drastic change in performance over such a short period is just ridiculous, I'm not even joking when I say that I could barely make contact with the ball on the first 9. Shows how mental this game actually is...

@Bigmean - I've given up on trying to find it, I sit back and relax and let it find me these days... usually a couple of beers help.

• Like 1

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

> @Bigmean said:

> Where you guys finding it? I feel like I need to start looking outside the golf bag, mat, and course for it ?

In my case, a guy I'd never played with before said something before a round. Not advice, but a comment on my movement. A lightbulb clicked on, and I realized I was throwing my hips. Started me thinking about why. I realised I needed to start the downswing with a better move and went back to the old "bell pull" move with the hands. Thinking with my hands helped me get a better, more consistent take-back movement wrist-break, which has also lead to better tempo.

• Like 1

> @Bigmean said:

> Where you guys finding it? I feel like I need to start looking outside the golf bag, mat, and course for it ?

Same here. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @Bigmean said:

> So is it fair to say that mp4s are the hands down best accessible blade (in terms of both quantity and price availability) currently

> Period?

>

> Like if someone says “hey want to get blades what should I get” should it always just be mp4 as the correct response?

>

> I felt same way hitting In stores, I don’t much care for the new one, I never cared for the 32-67 etc ones, but it seems like Mizuno nailed the MP4 then got off track. And I read on here, are they changing their forging a bit to make it more sense? I caught that in a miura Mizuno thread. No secret how I feel about miura but unless Mizuno nails it, Seems like not something they should mess with...

I think the MP-4 are definitely sitting in a sweet spot of price and availability right now. As for performance, I settled on them via a three-way comparison against the MP-69 and Apex MB.

The MP-4 has the thinnest topline of the bunch, and it’s not close. It felt better than the MP-69, and was neck and neck with the Apex MB.

I think the MP-4 is a lot better than the MP-18–the MP-18 suffers a bit from its thick topline, which was done to help it combo with the 18SC better, and doesn’t feel as soft to me.

Likewise, the MP-5 shifts the pendulum closer to a “more forgiving” club, with a thicker topline.

So, the MP-4 sits in a sweet spot of being an iron that Mizuno intended as a reset to cleaner lines after the MP-69, and later irons have shifted back to the direction of the MP-69.

• Like 1

So I am sitting st my desk and cleaning it (literally looks like the desk of 4 year old that hates trees and wants as many dead in sight as possible) and just came across a scramble flyer I said yes to like 3 months ago and it is this SAT!!!!!! I called the guy and was like is that this weekend? He was like yeah man, I straight up would have totally forgot, and he knew that and was planning calling me tomorrow.

Told him I played an easy 9 other week, didn’t make a putt and shot 8 over, but I had 5 pars and I hadnt played since last June so could be worse......he was silent, then said “we always do well, you are going to be fine”. I don’t get invited to these by him for my awesome sense of humor.....hahahaha

• Like 1

So I started my look into blades again and ended up choosing the Mizuno MP-18's in a combo set with the SC's. I can say that I have missed that buttery soft feel with these heads. One other blade I tried that looked pretty good was the new Srixon Z-forged. Very thin top line, satin finish, and larger boxy head size.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

OK, true confession time. So, I really did choose these MP4 based on making solid contact a high percentage of time. I’ve played enough blades based on looks or feel that didn’t really last.

So I’ve got permission to start hitting golf balls. (Thx doc! Uh, I sorta been doing this already, but also truth is, I don’t want to screw the eye up because you cant redo it, so I am def easing into full speed)

So all I have at the range are the irons in the bag to reduce weight... again eye precaution, don’t lift heavy weights for another couple of weeks. They are very shiny and stand out being alone in the bag.

4 different guys admire the clubs, make some kind of comment. 2 wistfully said they had played them. I think that was the most people ever admired my bag.

I’d be lying if I tried to say I didn’t enjoy that...plus I was hitting them great. I am a driving range pro, to be sure...

• Like 2

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I am imagining a dude with a pirate patch striping irons and lit by the blinding glow from only blades in a bag next to him.....women are grabbing their children that get too close and dragging them off in fear, and men are stopping jaw dropped in admiration at this mythical one eyed pro commanding his blades.......hahahahaha

Meanwhile my train wreck continues. I hurt my left shoulder last night at gym, from either bench pressing or fly machine, don’t know. I tried to hit balls last night after and really couldn’t. It didn’t like the whole through the ball move. So I stopped. I am hoping that the right amount of alcohol fixes this for tomorrow’s scramble, that sweetspot of swinging free but maintaining timing and balance....I am going to just do nothing till then. If I show up to this and don’t make putts, and can’t make swings this guy is going to kick me off the team...hahahaha

Speaking of driving range pros, I have never been one. One year this same team came in 3rd (at a super BS cheating event I think but whatever) I was on range and hoseled like 14 balls in warm up, then hooked some, first hole I hit an iron to like 8ft birdie and go...played well all day. The guy next to me at range gave me a funny look when they announced us as 3rd place at dinner hahaha.

• Like 2

I like that scenario except in mine the women are asking me to check their swing or something to that effect. But no pirate patch. 20/20 in one eye, 20/25 in the other. I can track white balls even in a cloudy sky.

I say if your pal in the scramble gets crotchety because you’ve missed the fairway again, that you use the Carl Spakler method and slice his Achilles. His weight displacement will never recover and he’ll quit the game.

• Like 1

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

> @Bigmean said:

> So is it fair to say that mp4s are the hands down best accessible blade (in terms of both quantity and price availability) currently

> Period?

>

> Like if someone says “hey want to get blades what should I get” should it always just be mp4 as the correct response?

>

> I felt same way hitting In stores, I don’t much care for the new one, I never cared for the 32-67 etc ones, but it seems like Mizuno nailed the MP4 then got off track. And I read on here, are they changing their forging a bit to make it more sense? I caught that in a miura Mizuno thread. No secret how I feel about miura but unless Mizuno nails it, Seems like not something they should mess with...

This is my monthly contribution to this thread, suggesting the correct response would be the VR Pros :lol:

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

As far as gaining and losing the swing is concerned, Jack Nicklaus said something like, week to week, he was always trying to find something to get him in the groove. Things work and then they don't. And, after that we have to try something different.

Spent the better part of the last few days practicing in the front yard. Maybe at some point it will get old, but I don't know. I cut all the grass down to 10mm. The mower I got will take the green down to 5mm, but it's still not ready. It's nice to see how balls are rolling on the surface though. I have to think how I am going to design the fringe and all that, but right now I'm pretty content.

I like how this thread is going. I'd put the Nikes in the bag (sans Nike logo) or I could just put Bridgestone J15MBs (off the top of my head). There are a lot of sets of irons entering the sweet spot of affordability/performance.

29607aoj4g07.png

1oi4scrubw5e.png

• Like 3

Thank you sir!

Mr23s are really nice. Super solid actually - but they kind of got lost in the shuffle of blades - Redlines, 87s, Conductor Pros - I've used in the last little bit and they also got knocked down a peg by the X300 FCI CBs. I put x100 in the MR23 and I always have in the back of my mind that they are too much for me, even if slightly. All that being said, I wouldn't have any problem bagging them.

The yard makes it feel like Christmas every day. There is something to knowing exactly how long the grass is too. Now, I just have to worry about watering it... And other accompanying problems that didn't really cross my mind until 3-4 days ago. Thank god for internet.